main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you cannot stand about your teams/the stadium experience

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    This kind of sounds familiar to me, so if I (or someone else) had already created this thread, or something very similar, feel free to lock this. Ok, here are my team gripes:

-Laker Girls- not needed, and when sitting on the floor, 3 rows behind court (as seen here from last December: [image=http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs042.snc3/12942_383394560603_868670603_10525786_4247285_n.jpg] ), they're distracting.

-I also very much hate, hate the Jack In The Box promotion the Lakers have: if the Lakers win, and hold their opponent to under 100 points, everyone in the arena gets a voucher for 2 free tacos. Now, the tacos at Jack In The Box are good, but this kind of thing smells like something done in the minor leagues of baseball (I know many other pro teams have similar promotions). This promotion leads to the very annoying chant of "WE WANT TACOS!" from the Staples Center crowd if A) the opposing team is very close to scoring 100 points or B) the Lakers hold a team to under 100 points, and completely blow them out in the process. There are even We Want Tacos! t-shirts.[face_plain]

-Whoever cleans out Dodger Stadium after games sometimes misses a few things.............I've sometimes gone to a game where I had to wipe off bird **** from my seat.
    :p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

2. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Fenway seats are cramped and uncomfortable.

Celtics fans thing for Scalabrine was amusing, but possibly a little racist and a little uncomfortable at times. I feel bad for him because he seems like a genuinely funny, good natured guy but it can't be comfortable having 20,000 people scream "shoot!" whenever you touch the ball or chanting your name at the end of games.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I hate it when the Pens are playing Toronto and there are a ton of Maple Leaf fans there. They are pretty obnoxious when they're in the opponent's arena.

I really don't like how expensive food is at stadiums.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    This is why I virtually never eat at sporting events. One drink or something like that (they sell good Strawberry Chills at the football games here), ok. I can let myself splurge that much. But food? Not unless I haven't had any chance to eat for a LONG time prior to the game and really need to eat.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't like when fans do this. At Clemson we have a 7'2 player from Romania who was supposed to be good. But he rarely sees the court and whenever he goes in the fans chant "Bobo" which isn't his real name its a nickname because people don't take the time to try and pronounce his real name Catalin Baciu. They laugh/cheer when he scores and yell shoot.

I would find it insulting to be a player like that.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Is "Bobo" a nickname of his choosing or the fans' choosing? If it was created by fans, that would be really insulting. But if its a nickname he chose, then I don't see a problem with it.

I don't really have a problem with fans cheering for a player stuck at the end of the bench and wanting to see him get in and score. Sure, sometimes fans go overboard with it, but in general, its because fans like cheering for the underdog, that guy that doesn't normally get to play, so he becomes a fan favorite. And those players are well aware of how this works.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, I only eat if I'm not paying.

Fans come up with nicknames for players all the time...we used to call Bill Guerin "Old Man Guerin." That's no excuse to insult players on your teams, though. I wonder if it is his actual nickname, though. [face_thinking]

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The Jaguars vs. Broncos game that I went to had a lot of people fall out to the heat. Once the thunderstorm came and it cooled off some, then the heat was not as terrible. I also tailgate before the game to get some food and hydration done before I enter the stadium. I keep a water bottle to refill with the water fountains and use that during the game.

I always drink alcoholic beverages during tailgating and then water inside the stadium. After the game is over, I'll usually have one more alcoholic beverage while waiting for the traffic to disperse reasonably and then I'll drive home.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its one thing for fans to come up with a nickname, another for them to chant something potentially insulting while "cheering" for the guy.

10. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Ironically, this feels familiar to me, too. I think we just all hear you complain about these issues on a regular basis. :p

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It always irked me at Cavaliers games that, when trying to get the fans to boo during an opponent's foul shot, the scoreboard would flash logos for the Steelers, Yankees, and Michigan Wolverines. I'm sorry, but you shouldn't need to bring rivals from the other teams around town/the state just to get your fans into the spirit of booing.

I hate the Hot Dog races, both at Jacob's Field and at Huntington Park. I hate that Jacob's Field isn't the correct name for it anymore.

12. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    It will always be Jacob's Field to me.

And I love the hot dog races [face_blush]

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Here's a fun fact: Jacobs Field has hosted more World Series games in the last 20 years than Dodger Stadium has.[face_plain]

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I love Minute Maid Park and can't think of anything I'd want changed. More postseason games would be nice, but for some reason the Astros start playing baseball in July instead of April. Maybe we should start Spring Training in December.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    At the rose bowl I'm going to go with that they got rid of the music the team came into being Van Halen's Right Now, as it was better without lyrics, and that now the 3rd down sound they play isn't a bear growl, it's these weird ominous bells.

Oh, and last game, between 3rd and 4th quarter, the singalong of Come Together they wanted us to do. That... that was a feeling of embarrassment.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I really like PNC Park. There's not much I would change about that, except for a better team. But that's another story...

I'm excited to see what Consol Energy Center is like. I've not been inside yet, but I've heard good things about it.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1967/burnsexcellentsticker.jpg]

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was waiting for you to show up. :p

The main reason they really annoyed me is because they were cursing loudly and repeatedly right in front of three or four kids, after they were asked not to. I don't have a real problem with people trying to take over opponent's areas. Steelers fans do that regularly. :p

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, Toronto sports fans are just annoying in general. Very rarely do I go to a Jays game and not see security trying to settle down some sort of confrontation. :p

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh] That's pretty funny.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I hate how when the dancers use those slingshots to fire T-shirts up into the crowd, they never fire them in my direction.

22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The Blazers Jr. Dance team. I want to see women, not little girls. Sick'O Blazer people that allow that.

23. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    The cost of Canucks tickets.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Ticket prices are absurd for the Penguins these days...they've gone up so much in the past decade.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think ticket prices have gone up approximately... everywhere :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.