main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 22, 2019
    I’ve liked everything (films, TV, literature, games) released in the Disney era of Star Wars so far because, the way I see it, it’s all Star Wars to me. I don’t like it all equally and I know that at some point, it’s very likely I’ll be disappointed with something Star Wars-related that Disney puts out, which is okay. As far as the films go, I think Solo was the most underwhelming, even though I still enjoyed it. (And I rewatched it for the first time in a while a few weeks ago and liked it significantly more.) I also think a lot of Star Wars fans have a hard time distinguishing what they enjoy and what is objectively flawed. For example, I know the Sequel Trilogy is FAR from perfect, but it doesn’t make me love those films any less.

What I don’t like about Disney Star Wars is the lack of planning and obvious commitment to profit over quality. They dropped the ball big time on the Sequel Trilogy by not having a more cohesive, structured outline of it from the very beginning and by assuming that letting different directors handle each film would somehow create a coherent narrative that worked the way the previous two trilogies did. I LOVE the Sequel Trilogy, but The Rise of Skywalker made it very obvious that Disney and Lucasfilm were winging it in a lot of areas with the whole trilogy, which really hurt it and hindered it from amounting to everything it had the potential to be. I also think, even in spite of this, if they hadn’t pushed so hard for the film to make its scheduled release date, JJ and company could’ve had more time to work with it and make it a better film. (Again, as someone who loved it, I still fully acknowledge it’s extremely flawed and could’ve been much better.) I don’t want to see Star Wars suffer the fate that a lot of other Disney properties are facing, where it’s just another big moneymaker that has to hit a deadline whether it’s good or not so they can make their money, check it off their list and move on to the next project.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What I disliked was the intentional effort to move on from the past so immediately at the start, and not allowing that to happen in its own time. I genuinely thought that TFA was the first of what was to ultimately become six films. Where the ST would simultaneously flesh out the Skywalker timeline, while introducing us to a new set of characters who would then go off and have another trilogy of their own after the ST. But to just shove the new characters in so suddenly and say "here, this is what's important, all that other stuff that came before, not important" was just way too abrupt. Ending 40 years of SW fandom in the span of two movies, and an in universe span of a few hours, and then making the third installment feel completely disconnected to anything that came before it, was just a complete disservice to the greatest franchise in film history.

Merrin, wobbits, CampOfSorgan and 2 others like this.
  3. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Considering what they did to Han, Luke and Leia, i would be fine with Sequels without them.
    And i dislike using Millenium Falcon, Palpatine, Vader's helmet and set pieces from the OT for nostalgia's sake.

Merrin likes this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I dislike the whole Sequel Trilogy. Also dislike that they turned the books into crutches for the film and barely expand the story, instead of expanding the boundaries.

I mostly like Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Solo and Doctor Aphra.

Merrin, wobbits and imperial scum like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 15, 2018
    For what the Sequel Trilogy did to Luke Skywalker, it will always be as one of my favorites in the saga TLJ stand with the best of the OT and the PT. I Dislikes the lack of planning and one voice for the trilogy. I loved what This trilogy did to Leia and Palpatine. I led Han Solo more inthis trilogy and Solo movie more then i did in the OT. Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Solo, all the Vader comics and TLJ i love.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  6. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    One thing I dislike is the Darth Vader fan service that they love to do.I'm talking about the scenes where Vader shows up and kicks the hell out of everyone like they are nothing.

If Vader was that powerful then episode 4 would start with Vader slashing rebels on Tantive 4 instead of stormtroopers attacking them. Vader was more a war general than being a warrior in front lines.(Yeah in Battlefront games he is like that because that's a video game)

Vader = Weak and slow version of Anakin.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    that's the best scene of the entire saga imo

8. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I disagree. Dark Side is supposed to make you more powerful. Otherwise no one would think it's worth the cost. And Vader would be one of the weakest Sith ever if your description would be true. Star Wars has expanded and grown so much since the OG trilogy, which was not planned ahead and many things changed on the fly, so you can't take it completely seriously. Which is why the prequels are my favorite SW trilogy, because of the world building, etc. Makes it feel most "real" Star Wars to me (I became a Star Wars fan through the Old Republic stuff so that may be why).

Anyway, things I like and dislike...

I dislike the way Disney claimed they want artistic freedom and that's why they made EU into non-canon... yet they are constantly robbing all the best ideas from the old canon or legacy or whatever you call it. I dislike how 2/3 sequel movies were nothing but recycling the best parts from the original trilogy and using nostalgia and fanservice as a way to buy some cookie points from casual fans.

I dislike how TFA and TROS destroy Lucas' legacy. TFA doesn't work as a sequel to Return of the Jedi. It simply doesn't. The only way it would work is if Luke and the others never actually managed to overthrow the Empire despite killing Palpatine and Vader... I would've actually been okay with that. The First Order however is stupid replacement for the Empire and just like everything else is just copying stuff from the old movies (while rather lazily pretending they're not) instead of trying to do something original and new.

I dislike that J.J Abrams was let anywhere near Star Wars. Huge mistake.

I dislike that Disney actually didn't care enough about their own investment to hire a group of talented writers to plan the future of the franchise and the worldbuilding like they absolutely should've. The sequel trilogy is an atrocious abomination because of this. Not only does the 3 movies not work as a cohesive trilogy but it's also at odds with the six previous movies. How anyone can call themselves a Star Wars fan and say that TFA and TROS are good movies is truly beyond me.

I like Solo (and especially the new character Qi'ra and her connection to Maul), Rogue One and TLJ (it had some stupid stuff of course, but it was the only part of the sequel trilogy I genuinely liked and enjoyed).

Overall even though I hated TFA and TROS I'm still glad that there are these new Star Wars movies and tv-series and videogames, etc. Disney made some huge mistakes with the sequel trilogy, but other than that it's been mostly good.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM