main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Things you never noticed in the CT.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 11-4D, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Whoa that is a nice catch

2. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Twilight>twin-light. The twin (setting)suns of ROTJ, with Luke&Leia as the rising suns...but not yet. First, the night.

(Had Lucas something in his mind at the conceptual level by then? Probably not, but Grogu and Anakin were born at roughly the same time. Anakin was born 2 years before Grogu I think. First one sun, then the other)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

I was kind of board and I saw this old trailer. It wasn't the only one, there was also this one .

Of interest here in the Battle of Hoth there was aqua lasers. I had never seen this before. Did they ever to a story as to why there was a change of color?

4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Not sure. I've never seen that before. Interesting.

It reminds me of the early rotoscoping of the lightsabers in SW 1977 (after the in-camera effect with white blades all around proved unsatisfactory) that had red for the "good guy" blades and blue for Vader's Sith lightsaber, before it was changed at the suggestion of editor Paul Hirsch.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  5. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    This caught me off guard when I saw those two teaser trailers. I was like wait a minute, I didn't know there was these aqua/bright sky blue lasers. Not in the 40 years did I remember seeing this. I was wondering if there was some story to it like the blue lightsaber being changed in Return of the Jedi to green. I do remember the probots in the Shadow of the Empire video game had this blue/green color to them.I also remember in the novelization that the probot fired a blue laser

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What an interesting find. The blue laser bolt is actually on the screen at the same time as a normal red one, too, so it doesn't look as simple as the blue/green ROTJ lightsaber switch.

7. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    It looks like the red bolts were being fired by the Rebels, but the Imperial walkers fired blue bolts. But for some reason it was changed so that all the laser bolts are red.

It occurs to me - maybe the blue bolts were changed because they didn't stand out against the blue sky and bluish-white snow, much like how Luke's blue lightsaber in ROTJ blended into the blue Yuma sky.

But then why didn't they just change the walker lasers to green like the TIE fighter lasers? Were they working in a hurry and just didn't think of it before they'd already started changing the color to red?

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  8. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I just found this to be interesting and that I had missed this. I mean this threw me of completely. I defintely would have liked to see those aqua/bright sky blue lasers. It definitely was a change and unlike the more computer type generated lasers these had a real feel for them.

9. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    If that trailer used to be a on a VHS before it was put on YouTube, it could just be the tape itself. My VHS tapes from 95 showed tons of blue lasers from the TIE Fighters during the asteroid chase in TESB and blue lasers for most of the starfighters during the end of ROTJ.

10. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    The blue lasers in the ESB asteroid chase seem to be a particular error in the 1995 VHS tapes. They don't show up in other versions. So I'd say the source is what's at fault in that oddity for whatever reason.

11. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    After the stormtrooper bumps his head on the door (a classic), two stormtroopers enter the room (opening the doors, releasing C-3P0 and R2-D2); the second stormtrooper has something dangling from inside and underneath his helmet - a loose microphone cable?

It's very easy to spot on the 4K release:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

whostheBossk and Snafu55 like this.
  12. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I noticed that too. My old videotape copy had the Tie-Fighters firing blue laser bolts at the Falcon, just before the two Tie-Fighters collide and explode.

I thought the colour change looked better than the normal green used.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I remembered another one; at some point I noticed that the good guys' onscreen movement was pretty much always left-to-right. So, the heroes advance left-to-right; the villains advance right-to-left. A significant and meaningful exception is at the climax of ROTJ, when Luke is veering towards the dark side while fighting Vader.

Vthuil, KyleKartan and BlackRanger like this.
  14. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I just noticed that all the imperial officers have coffee mugs in front of them during the death star conference. What a nice little banal detail

15. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Interesting! That reminds me of the ligne claire style used by Hergé in the Tintin comics: when a character is advancing the plot of the story, they move left-to-right, but when they are thwarted by some obstacle or encounter an unexpected hurdle, they move right-to-left.

That's probably because in the fourth-draft version of that scene Vader used the Force to summon a coffee mug and then crushed it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    The pattern also holds for the PT. In AOTC "good" moves left-to-right up until the moment that the Clone Wars erupt. During the arena fight, the Jedi's movement shifts from left-to-right to right-to-left, and when the titular clones attack it's fully right-to-left. In the ROTS opening, Obi-Wan and Anakin advance left-to-right (except to walk over to Palpatine) and fight Dooku left-to-right, up until Dookku knocks out Obi-Wan,and after that point Anakin advances right-to-left.

Anyway, that's neat about Tintin! I must have read those a hundred times each when I was a kid, but never noticed this. But I just verified it, and it does hold true. Since it’s a comic, it makes sense; the movement of the protagonist follows the direction in which we read the comic panels.

17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    The 4k allowed me to see a small detail that's probably a remnant from a deleted scene. When the rebels are rounded up, the old, bearded rebel guy (the guy who looks like he could be Rex) is in a scout trooper uniform. See below, all the way to the right. Was this a subplot where they tried to infiltrate the bunker?

[​IMG]

KyleKartan, Iron_lord, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , they took the place of the scout troopers guarding the bunker . there's some deleted scenes of it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    You can still see him guarding the door as they enter, but since he's in the full armor it's not obvious that it's one of the Rebels in disguise and not the actual Scout Trooper.

gezvader28, Sarge and Count Yubnub like this.
  20. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    It has been confirmed that indeed that is Rex.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Has it?

Or is it "You can choose to think of him as Rex, but it's not officially confirmed or denied"?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nik_Sant

In 2016, at a screening of the second season finale of Star Wars Rebels, executive producer Dave Filoni speculated that the "bearded old guy on Endor," Nik Sant, could be Rex, suggesting it did not make any sense for there to be an "old guy" on Endor unless it was someone like Rex.[7] The Rebels series finale, which aired on March 5, 2018, confirmed that Rex did fight at the Battle of Endor, but did not go so far as to confirm that Rex and Sant are the same character.[8] Six months after the episode's airing, Filoni revealed in an interview with IGN he ultimately chose to not canonize the theory because he felt that laying down an already established character prior to his coming to Star Wars wasn't correct, adding that Rex could have been present at Endor and not be Sant, even though some fans could choose to believe that Sant and Rex are the same individual while others choose to not do so.[9]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    oh thx! I remembered wrongly then! My Bad.

TOASTEROVEN and Iron_lord like this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Rex was shown to be 'on the ground' at Endor in a Galaxy of Adventures short:
    [​IMG]

You can tell it's definitely him cause of his vambraces :)

I guess that still doesn't rule out Sant being a different character... but that's kinda dull to me. Much more fun to retcon in a fave character, especially one who already wore Stormtrooper armour as a disguise in Rebels :p

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Further down the Nik Sant page:

In recreations of shots from Return of the Jedi in the Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures short "Han Solo - From Smuggler to General," Rex is used instead of Sant wearing clone trooper armor. Rex also appears in original shots in the short.[10]Because Galaxy of Adventures shorts are not meant to be taken as literal events,[11] no official source has currently definitively stated that Sant and Rex are the same character.

25. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Has it ever been explained why, when Luke manages to hit Vader with his light saber during their duel, it glances off and doesn't slice clean through?

CampOfSorgan likes this.