main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thinking about stuff they consider impossible in-universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Galactic Bibliophile, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Galactic Bibliophile

Galactic Bibliophile Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2021
    When I read Star Wars books; I sometimes like to note when a character says that something is impossible either through the Force or with technology. Shadow of the Sith hinted there really is no current (as of 21 ABY) way to reverse aging, or at least the aesthetic components.

Does anybody older than me remember a Legends book where they mentioned an impossibility. It can be in any aspect; science or Force related.

2. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I bet they never met Jedi Master Fay!

I don't think it is ever said, but in Legends it seems that time travel to the past is impossible, at least for mortal beings with technology or known Force artifacts/powers (the Beldam Spirits are able to do this and to move objects back in time as the concepts of physics are fluid to them), even if it is possible to travel forward thousands of years via hyperspace failures.

In Canon, however, we have the World Between Worlds.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Nom von Anor and cthugha like this.
  3. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Hitting a 2 meter target directly with a proton torpedo. Even for a computer.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Teleportation, time/multiversal travel, going to other galaxies, true resurrection, smart droids, and apparently good economics since they should have an abundance of resources that eliminates poverty.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Tramp freighters with cloaking devices.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The Aing-Tii have teleportation, but you are right that most probably consider it impossible. Intergalactic travel is obviously BELIEVED possible, even if never achieved - just look at the Outbound Flight project and the optimism in banking clan naming.

Vialco and Irredeemable Fanboy like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    FTL intergalactic travel is what is impossible. Hyperspace doesn't seem to work or is blocked past the galactic barrier. Traveling across the void is completely doable as the Vong do it after all, and there is nothing to indicate Outbound Flight would have been inherently unviable. Whether or not FTL travel is possible in the intergalactic void seems more a question of no one has ever done successfully/overcome the hurdles than it being physically impossible.

Time travel occurs a few times-one time due to relativity being involved (some obscure character goes 200 years into the future), the force and so on. Its rare but it can happen.
    Matter energy conversion and AI seem to be areas that are lacking, or at least are not as explored. Also the SW galaxy is vast, and still uses fundamentally capitalist economics. In many a core world, there probably is no appreciable poverty to speak of.

Multiversal travel is...not really clear? Its not really known if there even is a multiverse in SW, canon or legends. Resurrection happens a few times, through the force, but reviving people through technology seems to have limits.

Eh, its stated elsewhere that aging is nearly eliminated IIRC? We just don't see people of advanced age that often-Ackbar and a few other characters actually die of old age. My guess is its either very expensive or there are some sort of taboos against unnaturally long life extension-even in wealthier circles. That said, there probably is some limit.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  8. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Interesting idea regarding Hyperspace not existing beyond the GFFA. Especially if this ties to the WBW and the Force being related to Hyperspace in some kind, then hyperspace aka the Force would be absent where no life is, aka intergalactic space between the galaxies. If thus Hyperspace is only a dimension or realm that overlays living space of the galaxy that opens entire new interpretations. Does each galaxy have its own Hyperspace based on its own lifeforce/Force? How much Hyperspace/people are needed to leave the galaxy to take a piece of hyperspace with them they can utilize for FTL? Is there a limit number as to above which one might be able to?

And just like one did not believe in interstellar life amongst the stars in space, but discovered it in the GFFAs naturally spacefaring species. What awaits in intergalactic space? Any life there after all? Hmmm...

Matter Energy conversion certainly exists but is a limited technology although some sources seem to make it rather mundane and not limited to the wealthy, it more might be a case of ancient superspecies technology that some people poor or wealthy retained and did not spread around for reverse engineering.

AI seems to be explored a lot, but not utilized as in dystopian fiction that prefers to supervillainise it. Guess even AI supercomputers have a conscience and can be nice in the GFFA.

Artificial Shapeshifting even exists thx to nanotechnology and nanobots in TCW via Kenobi/Rako Hardeen. But also not a technology spread around too far and wide it seems.

well the Multiverse exists but nobody is keen to get lost in it Sliders style...

Money is the limit, as the Millennium Falcon novel in Legends showed on that space station where the superrich extend their lifes. In a galaxy where againg basically is not an issue anymore if one is rich enough, some will opt to still age naturally seeing the downside of not aging (which plenty immortal/Vampire/etc. stories explored well).

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    AI has been part of the GFFA since '77. 3P0 has more personality than some of the human characters.

Darth Caliban and Riv_Shiel like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You're mixing some Legends and New Canon, I believe.

Also, the question was
    stuff they consider impossible in-universe?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  11. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The Boba Fett Death, Lies and Treachery comic collection had a short range teleportation device(Magwit’s mystifying hoop), but it was considered an exotic alien technology and no one seemed to understand how it really worked(per Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology).

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I was referring to legends.

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Winning against someone who has the high ground

14. i think Force Sensitive Droids should not be created in both New Canon and Legends

Sarge and Watcherwithin like this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Too late! In both!

16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I know Legends had "Skippy" and JK-13 droids, and Visions has T0-B1, but I can't think of any Force-sensitive droids from canon off the top of my head. Are there any? (J-3DI thinks he is, but probably isn't since his Jedi powers are "simulated"). That said, the Order of the Sight Voltaic might be one vector through which to introduce something like that, but it looks like that fairly obscure story thread is being left alone for now.

17. According to Wookieepedia the Iron Knights are a kind of Force Sensitive Droids so yes they apparently exist in Legends

QuinlanSolo likes this.