main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Challenge Third Annual Winter Holiday Fic-gift Exchange~ Thanks, stats and questions from mav

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    1. What would you think of a rule that did not allow already established OC's?
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! )

I agree with this. You have to be careful when using established OCs for something like this unless the writer and giftee are familiar with each others' works. I think it's best to just create new ones.

2. Should the deadline for fic-gifts be pushed back just a little further to allow the holidays to die down a little. (Like to the 10th of January?)

I don't really care either way; it looks like most people got them in on time.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Wait wait wait....

First of all - My fic gift exchange wasn't listed!

I received mine - [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30648853/p1/?8]Savages and Fighter Pilots[/link] from DaenaBenjen42 (which was absolutely beautiful!) and finished
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30655594/p1/?5]Polaroid[/link] for mujapple-juicey
    . They aren't in the 'Master list' (both Saga)

So on to the questions.

(OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! happy )

No no no no!! Don't put the kibosh on OC's! As I said, I adored my fic which had the request for my very established, very AU OC to interact with canon. As long as the author ('owner' if you will) understands that someone else might see things differently, and doesn't get all worked up if 'their' child is 'out of character' or sounds different (again, in my case I was very blessed with the deftness of my gift writer, and found the work slips beautifully into my own personal universe!)

2. Should the deadline for fic-gifts be pushed back just a little further to allow the holidays to die down a little. (Like to the 10th of January?)

No, start them earlier if we can if anything.

3. Anything I can do to improve for next year?

Be proactive with the PM's - a poke if needed, and a PM to the recipient if you've heard or seen in the thread that there's been a delay, and perhaps have questions sent via thread originator - this way it's a surprise until the story is posted!

Lovely fun, and I can't wait until next year!

3. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    OC's- I know that's something that intimidates me, but there are certainly other authors who are fine with it. Perhaps asking in the initial post whether you are okay with OC's?

A bit more time might be nice. I'm glad that you had the deadline on January 3 instead of the 1st, which was last year's. Otherwise, I think it went well.

4. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009

I would agree with this. The author writing the gift might not be aware of the 'verse from which the character stems, and that could make writing the gift difficult.

I think that it's fine as it is.

Not that I can think of; I thought you did an awesome job this year! :D

The only thing I noticed is that the Index is incomplete at the moment -I wrote a [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30656261/r30664037/]fic gift for KELIA[/link], and Ceillean wrote one for me [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/30662519/p1/?8]here[/link].

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks for this. :)

I think OCs should not be banned, but if you request one to be used, you should provide basic info on the OC.

No. Keep the deadline as is. Puyshing it back too much would leave it feeling less holiday-y.

I think it's fine. :)

6. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    I have a Saga request that didn't get written. If anyone would interested in writing it for a person who did not receive their fic-gift let me know!

Don't worry, I haven't completed the master list yet, both the one you wrote and the one you received were counted in the totals. I hoped to get the master list completed on my two days off but it didn't happen. I'll be able to finish the list this weekend.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Questions:
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! )
    I think that OCs being part of the must-have part of the request makes it hard for the person filling it if they don't have knowledge of the OC in question. Either they should create new ones, or just stick with canon characters but be able to make the story as AU as they like. ;)

2. Deadline being pushed back?

Seems like everyone was able to finish pretty much on time; but maybe if the requests were sent earlier so that a higher percentage could finish by the New Year deadline. [face_thinking]

3. Any improvements for next year?

Can't think of any.

This was too fun to read and participate in!

@};-

8. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    1. OCs~ maybe the best way to get around this would be to have each participant send along with their own request whether they would be open to doing a request with OCs or not. Sort of an opt-out option. I'm not sure if an outright ban is a good thing or not but I can definitely understand the complications of doing a piece with someone else's OCs if you're unfamiliar with them.

2. The deadline seemed fair to me.

3. Changes? Nothing really, it all seemed fine to me.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! happy )

Makes no difference for me. You can always PM and ask about the OC

Deadline is OK for me but for other writers maybe.

Was fantastic to participate and keep it this way

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Answers-to-Questions Time!

I think that writing someone else's OC is very much like writing an established character you know nothing about. Having done both before, in my experience it can be a lot of fun, very daring and very challenging. I think that the challenge would profit more from allowing OCs than disallowing them. It would help keep the challenge diverse, keep up that sense of surprise that you don't quite know what you're going to get (which, for me, is the most enjoyable part of this challenge). If someone were to ask for their OC to be written by someone else, I would suggest that they give the writer as much information as possible (a quick summary, a few short examples... kind of like a personalized wookiepedia entry for the OC in question :p ) so the writer doesn't have to waste a lot of time doing research.

I think that it should start earlier (November) and have the deadline around Christmas. The space between Christmas and New Years is very hectic. After New Years, the spark dies down (quite a lot and very quickly, too). In some way it feels more festive to have pre-holiday gift rather than a post-holiday one.

I think everything went really smoothly, for the most part. =D= mav, and thank you! [:D]

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005

I think it should be allowed, but there should be a second alternative the wrter can chose in case he doesn't know the OC and does not want to research it. Announcing whether you're willing to write other people's OCs n the pms would also help.

I see no need for that.:D

Can't think of anything. Loved it.[face_love]

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    (Huh... I don't think I've ever seen the post reply screen with this banner before. Neat.)

Don't completely ban them all together, but do give guidelines and point the author in question to the source material. And by that, I mean the person who is giving the request. (And this ties in with question #3.)

Nope. Deadline is fine as is.

Breezy: Be proactive with the PM's - a poke if needed, and a PM to the recipient if you've heard or seen in the thread that there's been a delay, and perhaps have questions sent via thread originator - this way it's a surprise until the story is posted!

Liked this. Like this idea here a lot. Don't know how plausible it is, but the idea does have merit.

13. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Really? I'd be happy to step up if no one else has!

14. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    I already stepped in for the request.

Here is [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30681313/p1/]Survival of the Fittest[/link] for Takianna.

Hope you like it!

15. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    It was great! You did an AWESOME JOB! You really do well with banter between Obi-wan and Anakin.

Thank you AGAIN!

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too!:))

I think it should be up to the writer if they wish to try and write an established OC. Maybe they can put that in their ?what I don?t wish to write? part of the PM.

That?s fine with me, plus, I never have a problem opening a gift any time of year! :D

I can?t think of anything. You did a great job!!

17. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    The master list has now been completed. Let me know if I left something out! :)

I'd like to thank GeneralKenobi7 for writing another fic-gift! Also thanks to NYCitygurl, Jade_Max and Ceillean (again! :) ) for volunteering to write another fic-gift! All of you are awesome! [:D]

Thank you all for your input! I take it very seriously! There seems to be a clear divide on the OC issue. Since so many people don't want them to be disallowed they will be allowed next year but probably with a few stipulations. (i.e. Links to stories with said OC will need to be provided.)

Many comments were to get the requests out earlier. I will definitely try and do that next year! Most say the deadline was fine so it will be around the same time next year.

Be proactive with the PM's - a poke if needed, and a PM to the recipient if you've heard or seen in the thread that there's been a delay, and perhaps have questions sent via thread originator - this way it's a surprise until the story is posted!
    I have done this in the past two years but I did not have enough time this year... it's pretty time consuming! I'll attempt to do it in the future!
    As for letting the recipient know, most writers do not let me know what is going on and when they have I have let the recipient know. Only after it is over do I ask the writer to contact the recipient if they are still working but are going to finish.

Thanks again, everyone for making this year so successful!

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Force Ghost star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, next year, would it be permissible to say "I'd like to write in The Saga and I would like to write another person's OC if the need arises"? That way, it would be even easier?

19. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    And Jade's late with the survey - big surprise with her writing disk in rough shape *makes a face*

It depends on the OC and how open the person requesting the fic is to seeing the character they built out of character.

The idea that story links should be included is a good one if the OCs are features in short Vignettes, but some OCs only feature prominently in an "epic" adventure.

Perhaps a better idea would be to include a short "clip-show" of the traits and personality of the individual that are relevant to the fic request (short paragraphs - no more than say... 5?) with links to more if the author writing the story is interested to read more.

Additionally, add another category for the "I would not like" and maybe add the question:

"Would you be willing to write another author's established OC?" or something along those lines. Something that requires a Yes/No answer. Makes things very clear that way.

I'm with everyone else on this one; if we can get it up and running sooner, the deadline shouldn't be changed. Of course, the trick here is to not alienate the people participating in the national novel writing month stuff since they're exclusively focused on that.

Maybe take the first week of December where people can PM their fic wants to whomever is in charge (you or someone else :) ) use a couple of volunteers (one for each era) and have the gifts sorted and randomized and sent out by the 10th

Many hands make light work and all that. :)

Alternatively, maybe use October to collect fic gift ideas from people, then take November to randomize, and on December 1st send out the fic-exchange gifts. Takes the pressure off people writing for the national novel writing month in November, you (or whomever is organizing) and so on.

Depends on how much time you've got *laughs*

If we want to grow this fic-exchange, getting the word out earlier (maybe before November with a reminder?

The only suggestion I have is that if you're feeling swamped (and it is that time of year), ask for some help.

Tied into the idea above, if you have some help for each era, these people can be the ones to send out PMs to see if people are having trouble or need help, or will be able to meet their deadlines etc. stuff like that.

Okay, I know I wasn't supposed to write a novel, but apparently I did :Þ sorry!
    -Jade

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, Jade_Max, those were very helpful suggestions. :)

I still don't see my fic-gift for Jedi Trace in the list: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/30667747/r30695477/]Wayward Son[/link]. I just posted the second chapter earlier today.

21. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I epically fail at timeliness, but I finished dancing_star's story found here: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30706350]The Uneasy Alliance[/link].

22. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    No worries about the wait! [:D] I loved it! Thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.