main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Third Time's a Charm: The Arena's New Official Attempt at WNBA/NCAA Women's Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Trika_Kenobi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    1.) A penalty is defined by the rules beforehand. It's a penalty regardless of what happens at other points in the game.

2.) Misses happen. They do! But that doesn't mean you intentionally keep missing calls, especially in the final clutch moments.

3.) Wasn't trying to imply you don't watch bball my dude, was trying to have GSW catch as many strays as possible.

[​IMG]

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    no worries, I think it's a good conversation

I just think this is also the type of call, similar to say holding in football, where the officials call it sometimes and not other times, there's definitely a judgemental component to this kind of call, I mean there's definitely instances where officials don't call that foul and just let the players play, even in the NBA

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    Psych_Jedi likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Unfortunately, this message doesn't contain a swipe at the warriors ... (Maybe I should text a buddy for help?) ... But damn!

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Today's the day.

It's a kind of storybook ending to one of the most phenomenal seasons in women's college basketball: An undefeated team vs. one of the best players in the game. Each team legitimately feels like the final boss to the other.

I'm almost torn. As a Gamecocks fan, I want us to obliterate Iowa by 30. But as a basketball fan, part of me wants to see a legendary showdown, a back-and-forth absolute nailbiter that goes all the way down to the wire--but with Carolina coming out on top at the end, of course.

Either way, it should be fun!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not just an undefeated team vs. one of the best players in the game.

This undefeated team 73-1 over the past two years. Moreover, they are 73-0 vs. every team in the nation who is not "Iowa". And 0-1 vs. Iowa. You almost never get a team that has gone 73-1 over the course of two seasons looking for redemption, but here we are.

This "one of the best players in the game" has done everything - set records, slayed undefeated teams, gone to the National Title Game, won conference titles in the regular season, won conference tournaments ... except win a National Title. And that's something neither the Iowa men's nor women's team has ever done. Both have reached the championship game once, but both lost it. And this "one of the best players in the game" has a chance to do the one thing that nobody has ever done in Iowa Basketball history.

The number of storylines available in this one. are just freaking incredible. I don't think I've been this hyped for a basketball game on any level since Father's Day in 2016.

6. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sounds like you've got a great downstairs space for your sons to hang out with friends, watch TV, and play ping pong--chill and safe vibes! The fact that they were able to enjoy the game for the game/tournament itself is awesome--that's what it's all about! Maybe your son can send a nice pick-me-up note to Bueckers.

That's a great experience being able to watch those practices...behind-the-scenes preparation can be fascinating to see, especially when they're among the best. Very cool connection to UConn!

I get that about being older...I think being around young people doesn't necessarily keep us young, but it can keep us more fresh and up-to-date on modern society. I took some undergrad writing workshops several years ago...I was amazed at the writing and thinking of the young people compared to when I was college-aged...helped me progress as a writer and thinker.

I agree that one call, even at the end, doesn't decide a game--and kudos to the class from UConn--they had chances to put it away and even win at the end. In the replay, it looks like she moved her elbows and leaned a little and I agree that there was probably some selling--both can be true. A foul is still a foul even as they can be inconsistent in being called. Sometimes there are glaring no-calls at the end of a game. At the end of a game, it's even more important to be on-point.

Hoping for a great game today! It's been a great season that has really elevated women's basketball!

LloydChristmas likes this.
  7. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Yea no, I generally prefer for the refs to not make game changing calls unless they are blatant and indisputably give a competitive advantage to one of the competitors.

The defender was able to still get to her spot even with her flailing to sell the foul.

*shrugs* it’s just sports so I’m not too up in arms about it, but it was sort of bull****

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    73 wins huh? [face_thinking]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WHAT A DREAM START FOR IOWA

10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This is not the start I wanted. [face_plain]

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    cheering for SC

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Same. I like Dawn Staley. And there are other women’s basketball players than Caitlin Clark.

13. Psych_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    Great start for Iowa, but South Carolina battled back. South Carolina's size is the difference so far--that may be the biggest deciding factor.

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Carolina up by 9 after 3, but if those shots start falling for Iowa again, the complexion of this game could change in a hurry.

Psych_Jedi likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Helluva game. Kudos to South Carolina and to Dawn Staley. Great coach, and she might even be a better human being.

16. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Auntie Dawn FTW

Rew likes this.
  17. Psych_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    Fantastic final! An impressive 2-year run by both programs! South Carolina is a bigger and better team with a great coach...undefeated and 1 loss in 2 seasons is amazing. Iowa was gritty and put up a good fight, but it wasn't enough...2 straight runner-up finishes is nothing to hang heads about. Caitlin Clark will be splashing 3s in the WNBA.

LloydChristmas, heels1785 and Rew like this.
  18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This one was special. [face_chicken]
    [​IMG]

Seeing Dawn Staley break down in tears in the immediate aftermath of the game got me, not gonna lie.

After going wire to wire last season, only to come up short in the Final Four after an undefeated regular season was tough. So I have been on edge all season long watching these Gamecocks. (Tennessee in particular about gave me a heart attack in the SEC Tournament.) Now finally comes the sweet release. The Gamecocks are a dynasty!

Also, I love that Coach Staley took the mic back during the trophy ceremony to give a shout out to Iowa and in particular to Caitlin Clark. For my part, I was surprised by how heartbroken I felt for her after today's game--especially if you knew how much I hated her and the Hawkeyes last year. :p But her story is so inspiring and that whole team so likable, and if they'd been playing against anyone other than my Gamecocks (or Blue Devils), I would've totally been in their corner this season.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Already seeing comments in threads about how the Lynx need to tank this season so they can bring Paige Bueckers home with the first pick next year is the next sure sign that women's basketball has arrived. All it needs is a good tagline like previous NBA tank jobs have had, like "Riggin for Wiggin" and "Bleed for Embiid", or "Dyin' for Zion".

Maybe "Disengage for Paige"?

20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    (Warning: Image heavy post ahead. I've put most behind spoilers so as not to overwhelm anyone's scrolling.)

Today was the national championship parade for the Gamecocks in Columbia, SC. And I was there!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I actually got to march in the parade itself--which is pretty cool, but not as special as you might think. The company I work for is one of dozens of corporate sponsors, and I'm pretty sure there were a hundred or so different groups and floats. It was a huge parade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the end of our portion of the parade, we were free to leave or stick around and watch the rest of the festivities. I chose to tough it out in the 82-degree weather and direct sunlight to inch toward the barriers where the team would eventually walk up after their part in the parade proper. (We were toward the front, and obviously the team itself was at the very back--being the grand finale and all.)

I waved my towel as the team passed by--fun fact: our company passed out towels, but we quickly ran out!--and it's fun to say that I was one Kamilla Cardoso-length away from Kamilla Cardoso, Dawn Staley, and the rest of our historic champions. (I didn't take any pictures of them walking up because I wanted to stay in the moment--that, and they moved pretty fast, haha.)

The remaining festivities took place on the steps of the State House where the team was honored while the band played behind them, with the cheerleaders and a bunch of other people present.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last image I'll leave you with (and the only one unspoiled) is the last one I took. It's at the end of the ceremony where Dawn and the rest of the team are watching highlights on the nearby big screen of the title game against Iowa. (The one highlight of Raven Johnson stealing from Caitlin Clark and getting the layup right before halftime definitely got some cheers from the crowd!)

You can see Dawn Staley at the podium on the left wearing a visor, with the players wearing black to the right of her (some using their honorary plaques to shield themselves from the sun, which was fierce this afternoon):
    [​IMG]
    All in all, it was beautiful to see practically the whole city come together to honor this team and such a historic moment in women's sports.

I highly recommend having your hometown win a big championship so you can experience this too. :p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for sharing Rew! Cool pics & story. Hope you follow Cordoso at the next level too.

"Muck It for Buckets"

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Pretty amazing to see that happen. Also interesting to see the Sky get both Carodso and Reese. Not so much about them "not liking each other" as I think that ended the moment they turn pro but while both are beasts at defense/rebounding etc, they don't have refined offensive games which they will need to work on but both were too good to pass up where they were drafted and should be fun to watch.

23. Psych_Jedi

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm a very casual hockey fan, so I'm probably a bit biased, but I agree! It'll be interesting to see how she does--it'll be an adjustment, like it is for all sports at the professional level. I think she'll be doing great with those shooting and passing skills. Chicago got a great pair with those two first-round picks...I'm a Chicago guy, so I look forward to seeing how they do this year. It'll be a fun season!

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    Disney+ is streaming the Fever game whether you have the package with ESPN+ or not. Maybe they're figuring out they might get a few extra viewers if people are actually able to watch.

Juliet316 likes this.