main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Third Time's a Charm: The Arena's New Official Attempt at WNBA/NCAA Women's Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Trika_Kenobi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Rather psyched to see ND make the final four -- first time they've ever beaten Tennessee (0-20 prevoiusly).

2. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Yah, sorry. I don't normally speak authentic frontier gibberish. lol

But yes! The Aggies won last night and successfully shut down Griner. It was a pretty fun game to watch, and I was hoping you'd show up in here to celebrate, 'sey! :cool:

UConn, A&M, Stanford, and Notre Dame... I suppose everyone is expecting UConn to continue dominating, but as proven by the nature of basketball tourneys, any given night could be the night for uppity teams looking for an upset!

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    3,000 career points for Maya Moore. Pretty impressive.

4. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Yep! She was really awesome yesterday and, as always, a total blast to watch. I never give up a chance to watch UConn play... and the fact that they rocked Duke yesterday, of course, was awesome. :cool: :p

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Fixed :p

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    WHOOP!!!!

7. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Very impressive, Aggies! Taking out Standford is no small feat!

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Like last week, the women's basketball game (Stanford-A&M) was the only thing on. I have to admit, I was glad to see that at least an occasional shot had decent form. Still don't care for it, but this game was better than most I've seen pieces of.

So, short version: progress. Well, slight progress :p

9. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Get outta mah thread, hater. :p

UConn up by six at the half... semi-interesting game so far, but not with any super-star stellar performances* to this point.

EDIT: *That is, of course, with a nod to Maya Moore and Skylar Diggins, who are both racking up the points now. :p

EDIT: Notre Dame up by seven with 9:30 to go!

EDIT: Wow. Maya Moore is going to totally win the game by herself. lol. UConn was down by as much as ten or twelve before she decided to carry UConn on her own. They're within four.

EDIT: UConn is in serious danger right now... down by seven with under a minute to play!

EDIT: Well, tonight was a fascinating night for women's basketball. Both one-seeds fall... who would have thought both Stanford and UConn would have frickin' lost? lol.

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Notre Dame wins. Good for the game.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    woo, UConn loses!

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    GO IRISH!!!!

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Yep. I suppose I'd rather have A&M win the national championship than Notre Dame, but that was a quality win for the Irish last night.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    You are so dead to me, DMC.

The ND women's program is a bit odd. McGraw was already the head coach when I was there (late 80s -- yes I am old) and there was always the feeling that she was building the program to national prominence. Seemed to stall for quite a while, though, until they had their one magic year 2001, where they won the title (and beat UCONN at least twice, including in the NCAA final). That was a very senior-heavy team, and they really dropped off the radar since. I had no idea they were even a #2 seed until the win over Tennessee, which was huge (0-20 against Pat Summit until that game). Interesting is that this time around, the star is a sophomore, hopefully they'll be able to maintain this level, win or lose.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, the other option is probably being dead to 'sey :p

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    And she has teh banstick. :p

I don't like Notre Dame football, and it's spilled over to other Notre Dame sports. :p

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    It doesn't like you, either.

18. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm very happy that UCONN lost.

19. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Guise, Ima hafta ask y'all to calm it down in here. The thread's not used to such activity and excitement.

I'm actually still in a bit of disbelief at what happened yesterday. I can't believe both Stanford and UConn are out of there! I hope tomorrow night will be a fun game!

Y'all will still be around tomorrow night, right? You won't be punks and not pay attention to the championship game? :p

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I might watch a few minutes... maybe. It was a Texas A&M player I first saw shooting with decent form, so I think I'm pulling for them on that basis.

...also, I have a cousin who went there (1 of only 2 first cousins... so this isn't like having a whole slew of cousins that went all sorts of places). Good enough reason for me.

Nothing against Notre Dame, though.

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Geeze, R...J, I sure hope those wiminz run exactly like you want them to, also. One ball player with merely decent form? You make it sound like you're watching little kids just learning how to dribble and shoot a basketball. Srsly.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't care about how they run. But shoving the ball makes me wince, and has ever since I had coaches back in late elementary (and middle) school that beat proper form into our heads (figuratively speaking) and particularly went after anybody who shoved the ball.

Still, you've gotten more positive comments out of me concerning women's basketball than anyone else has in the past decade or so, so be happy with that :p

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    So ultimately, women just don't know how to shoot a basketball. Gotcha. Never mind that they shoot just as well as men from any range and from the free throw line, right?

You tread such thin ice with me on women's sports, R...J, I swear. You're damn lucky I don't live close enough for a pick-up game, 'cause I'd show you proper form and ball you the hell up. :p

24. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    However great Maya Moore was she did not convert in the clutch last night. Just threw threes up when their was still plenty of time left.

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Do they still use a different (smaller) size basketball?