main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[This Again] Can we get rid of the WT* rule yet? - RULE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    The WT* rule is B*

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Having to post wt[horbiddin letter] was half the fun of Games outrage.

That and shirt.

Simpler times.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Precisexactly.

4. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    EDIT: You have to star that out.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The way I see it, the F is a way to express the word **** without actually typing it. Having to star out the F makes no sense because just like in "What the Frak," everyone knows what's being said with "What the Star." Censoring the F actually doesn't accomplish anything.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd go one further and say that WT* actually brings more attention to itself than the original acronym.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I actually agree with that completely.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I wouldn't even have known hal had posted if the 'F' had been present. :p

But seriosly, yeah. hal's right.

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes.

Yes.

I'm a wealth of insight on this one.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well. If you seek Amy.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes. And the fact is that there is an accepted level of language that is not classified as swearing to the point of intervention by society. And, evidently, (as evidenced by the years of the rule being enforced), this acronym is in the generally accepted level of language that is not allowed.

Sure, you can swear.

But GIMER refers to when 'swearing' as 'words that require intervention'.

Such as WT*.

You are not stating facts, either. You're just splitting hairs.

EDIT: After all that I forgot the most important sentence;

IMHO.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am really unsure what you are saying, but it seems like you are saying it's a good rule because we've had it and enforced it for a time. But really that's a poor argument.

1. We've change long standing rules before.
    2. The WT* rule has been controversial and hated by mods and users alike since its inception.
    3. Enforcing this rule does not imply supporting it. I have to enforce it, as it's my job. But I don't have to like it or support it and I never have once since becoming a mod.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically we do guide our rules at least partially based on other media- we do usually go by the general rule of thumb of keeping things within that general PG/PG-13 guideline to be in line with the films these boards are centered around.

So, while that's not a hardline ruling for policy here, it does characterize and factor into policy considerations through a comparison to other media entertainment and classification. So, such comparisons would be valid arguments to consider.

14. standalone

standalone Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2009
    Whatever rule regarding abbriviated swear words is implemented, it must be consistant. One user who is allowed to get away with using it should mean that all users are entitled to get away with it.

If you want my opinion I say that we should look into the language barrier because when certain words are posted they are starred out. Apparently it is well within the forum rules to use these words if they are completely starred out beforehand, however because the censor program on the forums stars these words out anyway there can be controversy when someone appears to use these words and get away with it, while someone who uses the same word does not, giving the appearence of inconsistant management of the forum.

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Nobody should be "getting away with" using a disallowed word unless a moderator happens to miss it in a post. I'm not even sure if the language filter works anymore.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The language filter hasn't worked for over a year now, and there's no telling if it'll ever be working again.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - it was a casualty of the board code changes..

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good thing, too. We couldn't say homo sapien.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Ban Darth_Guy plz.

20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    UPDATE: After a lengthy discussion of this issue in MS, a poll with both JC and FF mods participating, and a discussion between myself and Philip Wise, we have decided that the "WTF" rule will be changed. The abbreviation "WTF" is now allowed on the boards.

Please note that this does not change the existing rule in place for other abbreviations that use disallowed words. The existing rules still apply to all other abbreviations. Why? Because our lengthy MS discussion showed that support for changing this rule was about 50/50, because the focus of our discussion was primarily on "WTF" and not other abbreviations, and because our poll was only focused on "WTF".

So there you have it. Please note that the Official Profanity and Disallowed Words List has been updated to reflect the change.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ... WTF?!

22. -Kristie-

-Kristie- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2008
    So glad to see that a decision was finally made... thanks guys.

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    winnar is me

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  25. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.