main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT This Is My First; I Need Your Opinion...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CRIOS, Jun 17, 2021.

1. CRIOS

CRIOS Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2021
    I wanted to purchase the prequels to episode IV - the first 3 parts of the saga. Could you tell me if this publication (see image below) is a good choice or should I consider another one instead.

Thanks a bunch!

[​IMG]

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    This is a bundle of the original novelizations of the three prequel movies (TPM written by Terry Brooks; AOTC written by RA Salvatore; ROTS written by Matthew Stover). If that’s what you want, then yes, go for it.

Personally, I prefer the actual movies over their novelizations though :D

QUIGONMIKE, wobbits and Deliveranze like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    ROtS was a really good book.

wobbits, ThisIsTheWay and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I only read the ROTS novel and that one actually stopped me from reading any of the others because Stover got many of the characters simply wrong (in my opinion).

Subtext Mining likes this.
  5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I didn't like the novelization of ROTS. I don't know. I found Stover's writing rather pretentious. And I thought some of his scenes dragged.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If you're looking for the definitive novelization of each film, then yes. You got it.

Personally, the ROTS book is a mixed bag for me. Some really good scenes like when Palpatine is testing Anakin's desire for power and control, but then other things like Dooku being a human supremacist proto-Imperial, Vader's puns killing the CIS leaders, Anakin shaking Padme to reveal her pregnancy, etc. are better left forgotten imo.

The first and middle of the book is well-paced but I felt the Order 66, post-Clone War, beginning of the Empire era, was better portrayed in the film. Felt too rushed in the book and the sense of tragedy is better shown and felt in cinema than explained with prose, no matter how well-written in my eyes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  7. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I like the novels for their additional Scenes. Specially the cut Scenes are great. The made up stuff is cool too but I dont consider it Canon. But I love how they incoperated the cut Scenes into story

The intro to ROTS is just pure epic IMO

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You should consider the actual movies, if you haven't done so.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The AOTC novel went a little deeper into the relationship between Jango and Boba. As a Fett fan I liked those parts.

10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ROTS is a good read if you want to point out all the little mistakes such as claiming Amidala was the youngest queen ever elected.

The scenes between Anakin and Palpatine were good though, and arguably the best bits of the book.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    The main thing to remember about the novelizations of the movies is that the writers were pretty much always given the script to write the book before the end of movie production. As a result lots of the movie is changed, and/or cut and the movie is totally different than the book. Also, if you read the books from before Disney acquired lucasfilm Ltd be aware if it is in the book, but isn’t in the movie it is not canon to the actual story, which is legend lore rearing it’s head. Once Disney acquired lucasfilm ltd and made sure that all books before the Disney acquisition are now legends and the books written after the Disney acquisition are canon causes immense confusion for many readers, and let’s not even get into the fact that there are some big discrepancies between the”canon” books vs. the canon movies, tv, comics,books, or anything else Disney purports to be canon.

reading Star Wars books is one of my favorite things to do, it is also something I hate, as I often want to scream and throw books across the room for confusing the story, and challenging the entire supposed canon. Just approach the books with the intention to enjoy the story and be aware to try and not care about canon vs uncanon

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    IMHO, novelizations are really important if you want a deeper dive into some of the story elements, or if you are a casual fan who is experiencing their first introduction to the Star Wars Universe by watching the PT.

13. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I wasn't really a fan of it either. It's the best prequel novelization, but that's not really saying much. I couldn't stand those sections where the story would just stop and it would go "this is what it is like right now to be Anakin..." or "this is what it is like right now to be Obi-Wan..." It's funny that this and Heir to the Empire were hyped for me as the best of the best Star Wars novels and I didn't really like either one of them.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  14. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    BBM. Those parts were kind of out of no where. I did appreciate though how the ROTS novel sheds more light on Anakin's disappointment in the being on the Council but not Master status- regarding the additional access he would have had in the Jedi archives.

15. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Yeah, I did like that part. I also felt that the novel did a better job conveying that Anakin was really off balance and didn't know who to trust. It makes his turn to the dark side more believable.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  16. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know. I've always thought that the book's "reason" why Anakin is upset about not being on the Council was pathetic. I mean "no access", really? Anakin, with all his weaknesses, is a smart kid. He could have found a way to get access and I think it's a stupid idea for the Jedi to reserve some knowledge for premium members anyway. Additionally, I think linking his disappointment to Padmè again is too much. It should be independent of the whole Padmé dilemma and simply be seen as what it is: Anakin was disappointed and upset because his ego was hurt. Because he felt disrespected and not treated as an equal, which hits him even harder given his upbringing as a "lesser" slave.

But yeah, I could't stand the "this is what it is..." parts either. The prologue was epic, though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  17. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    By all means, read the novels if ya like but the movies IMO pretty much get the job done and are extremely enjoyable. They feel like one long movie and that’s part of what makes it such a great trilogy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  18. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    For me, Star Wars is meant to be seen on film, not read. It's not meant to be an experience where you can know the thoughts of the characters and therefore understand every single little motivation they have. That's why I always find it perplexing when people think it is such a big deal that we find out that being a master gives you access to some sort of archive that allows you to explore the secrets of the dark side (which you apparently find out in the book and "explains" Anakin's annoyance at not being a master.)

Alexrd and Watcherwithin like this.
  19. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    :rolleyes: I didn't say it was "such a big deal" and I read the novels after having seen the films which I loved by the way. I just felt that reading about him having access to the archives being a large reason why he was so disappointed about not getting the rank of Master helped to show his desperation in a scene where people simply just saw him as "whining." Knowing how badly he wanted to find a way to save Padme, and learning that he thought he could find the answers in the archives only to have his hopes dashed adds to the tragedy for me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I’ve not read the book. I think changing the details in adaptation is completely fine. And that sounds like it references Anakin saying there’s things about the Force their not telling him (I think he means things about the dark side, not healing techniques). However i don’t think additions like these are based on the filmmakers intention.

Anakin’s reaction in the movie, IMO is entirely ego. He feels he’s at the master level and their excluding him, evidence of what Palpatine has told him.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had more sympathy for Anakin in ROTS after reading the novel than I did just watching him on screen. The novel shows what is going on inside his head and really portrays Palpatine gaslighting him and the effect it had.

22. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    The novel explains that Anakin has discovered a restricted section in the archives. He believes that there may be tomes there that hold knowledge regarding either saving Padme or bringing her back to life. From the scene in AOTC he already clearly thinks he's being held back which is compounded by the death of his mother when afterwards he clearly talks about learning how to stop people from dying. He does not want to experience that emotional trauma again.

Palps has already planted the idea in his head that there is a way to do it but a Jedi would never teach him. Doesn't mean Anakin couldn't find it in the archives BUT at this point he can't access them. So when Palps pulls the strings and gets Anakin put on the council, Anakin thinks he's going to get the rank of Master and then he can get into the archives. Then the council denies him.

With the book context you understand his desperation, that need to find a way to save her rather than thinking that he's being egotistical or dismissing him as whiny.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @CRIOS I'm only seeing this thread now, but welcome to the boards!:)You might have already made your purchasing decision, but if you haven't, my two cents would be:

That is a bundle book of the adult novelizations for the Prequel Trilogy. If you want the three adult novelizations, that will offer a better price than purchasing all three titles separately generally speaking. So, if you want all three adult novelizations, I would say that is a good deal. If you only want one or two of the adult novelizations, then I would say that it is better to buy separately. There are also junior novelizations of the prequels from Patricia C. Wrede that are available fairly cheaply so those might be an option for you as well depending on what you are looking for in your purchase and reading experience.

Now, my personal thoughts on each of the novelizations if you are interested in them would be:

The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks is a novel I've tried to read multiple times and never been able to finish entirely, and I am a librarian who has currently read 109 books this year. So I do finish most books I start, and rarely give up on a book. Much less give up on a book multiple times. I just found that the writing style for this book didn't click with me at all. It didn't do much to flesh out characters like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon to me, although I did enjoy some extra moments with Anakin that appeared at the beginning of the book. Obviously, my opinion on Terry Brooks's writing style is not universal since he is a successful sci-fi/fantasy author, but for me, it got in the way of the reading experience. Personally, I preferred the TPM novelization from Patricia C. Wrede, who I felt provided better insights into Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The junior novelization was overall a better reading experience for me. I've enjoyed the junior novelization both as a kid and as an adult. It was the book that really sparked my interest in Star Wars books as a kid.

Attack of the Clone novelization by R.A. Salvatore has some added moments and deleted scenes that enhance the story (nice to have a glimpse of Shmi's life on the Lars homestead and more introduction to Padme's family, for example) but his writing style to me is also not spectacular, though, again he is an author with success in the fantasy/sci-fi genre, so not like my opinion is shared by everyone or even most sci-fi/fantasy fans. The depiction of Obi-Wan also sometimes hampered my enjoyment of the book. Obi-Wan just came across as too harsh and angry and always yelling at Anakin for me when to me in the movie he was strict and stern with Anakin but mostly had his anger under control and didn't yell that much (and usually with extenuating circumstances like being in a noisy war environment or Anakin pushing him a bit too far when questioning him, but it wasn't like Obi-Wan's first response was to bark at Anakin for everything). So this was another case where I preferred the novelization which I felt could manage to get into the heads of both Obi-Wan and Anakin in a more balanced way and could still add some extra context to the movie.

Revenge of the Sith novelization by Matthew Stover was my favorite because I felt like he delved into the characters the best, providing me with new insights into how they ticked and what made them tick. Plus I really enjoyed the writing style and felt it could often capture the epic feel of ROTS effectively. There were some passages that genuinely haunted me and others that felt truly poetic. To me, Stover is one of the best writers from a prose quality perspective that Star Wars has seen. The junior novelization was also good and worth a read with some moving moments but couldn't match the brilliance of the adult novelization to me.

I will say that my evaluation criteria for movie novelizations tends to be a lot about writing style, how it expands and adds to the film, and how it interprets the characters. Plot and setting don't tend to factor into my analysis as much since those are in the film. Sometimes with books that aren't based on a movie the plot or setting can be strong enough to compensate for a writing style that falls flat with me or characters that don't engage me, but if I already know the plot and setting from a movie, the writing style and characterization need to shine and something needs to be added to the movie to justify my reading.

So, I personally would highly recommend the adult Revenge of the Sith novelization, and give more lukewarm recommendations of the other two adult novelizations depending on what you are looking for in a read. I would also suggest considering the junior novelizations which might be available to you cheaply.