main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series This Is the Poll: Slave I or Firespray.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Jan 20, 2022.

?

Slave I or Firespray? Which name do you like better?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2022.
  1. Slave I. I think references to slavery are cool.

71.4%
  2. Firespray. As a teen, I set whole fields on fire.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The language that we use plays an important causal role in either supporting or resisting implicit (unconscious) bias. This is why the front lines of the cultural wars have long focused on language, and also entertainment, because when people are relaxed as they enjoy film or TV, this is when biases are most easily shaped and formed (when people's guard is down). And the same goes with the kinds of toys we have our children play with, which are just another way of shaping identity -- there have been many studies on this kind of thing, especially in regard to normalizing and programming certain gender roles as "natural."

So no, it's not trolling to state that if you think it's okay for slavery to be associated with a cool aesthetic, then on some level you don't have a problem with it. That's what implicit bias is all about.

It's major gaslighting to tell people that "fictional" worlds play no significant role in shaping and supporting cultural beliefs. It's not as though people are able to turn off their beliefs when they're watching a TV show.

Fifi Kenobi, Shadao and Count Yubnub like this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I admit, when I was a preteen, I had a thing for Leia in her firespray outfit.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The worst part is all of this forum content is being backed up on my computer's firespray gunship drive.

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This statement is outrageously stupid and it should actually be edited by moderators. You have gone a step too far here.

5. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022
    Yeah, that's pretty silly.

As usual, the discourse here's the two extremes, with the sense-making middle going unembraced. It's either "they won't say Slave 1 anymore, Star Wars is ruined!" or it's "if you were okay with the name Slave 1 you're a damn dirty Confederate".

6. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Just saying the name has always been goofy.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The fact that slavery happens doesn't mean you agree with it, nor should deleting it from history or how are we supposed to learn that it was wrong? Slave 1 is just a name, at no time were Jango or Boba ever part of the galactic slave trade, but if it causes so much misery then call it by its manufacturing designation on screen.

DarthFixxxer and 3sm1r like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Personally, I think Boba should rename the Firespray Gunship "Respect."

That way, when Boba says he intends to rule with respect, he literally means it. And rain down fire upon anyone who disrespects him.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Did Boba or Jango ever actually carry slaves on "Slave 1"?

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don't know. My funny bone?

12. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Slave 1 is a good name for the ship of a Saturday morning cartoon/superhero comic book/Republic serial antagonist (iow, Star Wars), so it was good for the version of Boba in the original movies. I'm amused at the clumsiness of the retcon but don't actually care beyond that. People who are mad about it are weird. At the same time, changing the name would be in perfect step with Boba's face turn. But that requires the story first acknowledging that was the name. Would have made a nice bit of characterization in the last episode. Treating the word 'slave' like some kind of slur is just about as nutty as a being mad at the change, though. Ditto framing "Slave 1 is a good name for a villain ship" into "I lurve slavery!".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Sarge and Shadao like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm pretty sure John C. Calhoun posts here, though.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T, that's what Boba wants to see!

Sarge and Shadao like this.
  14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Slightly off-topic....
    Did Din's ship have a name? We all know it as the RazorCrest, but that was also what the Mythrol called it in TM:S1:E1, as if he was identifying the make or model. Unless, the ship's name was well-known.
    The Razor Crest is an ST-70 Assault Ship. Is Razor Crest simply another name for an ST-70 Assault Ship, or was it a unique name for Din's ship?

Sarge likes this.
  15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Slave 1 all the way.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Edit: nevermind. Not worth it.

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Just ludicrous how he said 'Firespray Gunship'. Just call it 'my ship' FGS, or even 'my Dad's ship'.

No, that's it's name.

EG: The USS Franklin is it's name, Big Ben is it's nickname.

18. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    Uhh. Fennec probably knows what a Firespray class ship is.

It works fine, better this way. Sure, "my ship" would suffice, but he's just being a little more specific. "Wanna help me get my Cadillac back?" rather than "wanna help me get my car?".

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It also informs her that the ship he is after will be enough to get the job he referenced done. They were already discussing what he would need in order to pull off his plans and specifying a war wagon makes sense over, "Help me get my rubbish hauler back and then we'll see what we need for the job".

20. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    Haha, I love the idea that Fennec's first mental visual would be that Boba flies a space dumptruck. [face_rofl]

clone commander bossk likes this.
  21. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Slave I is more elegant, IMO

22. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    It just sounds cool

Cool is good [face_laugh]

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread should feel bad for existing.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge, LedReader and 6 others like this.
  24. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    This dumb debate has to happen somewhere, I guess.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It really should. And those poll options? FFS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.