main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series This Is the Poll: Slave I or Firespray.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Jan 20, 2022.

?

Slave I or Firespray? Which name do you like better?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2022.
  1. Slave I. I think references to slavery are cool.

71.4%
  2. Firespray. As a teen, I set whole fields on fire.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have several times considered renaming the thread to "This Is Virtue Signaling"

Sarge, DarthFixxxer, Vib3s and 7 others like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Why would Fennec need to know it’s his dad’s ship? How is that info useful to her? It being a certain class of ship - and one that has an especially fierce array of guns - is usefully specific info. In terms of both identifying it and understanding what it’s capable of. The identity of its former owner isn’t useful info at all.

I find it really amusing when fans harshly criticize the writers of these shows and then propose much worse options.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  3. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I mean to be fair, Luke never named his X-Wing.

I'm guess Boba Fett is too much of professional to start treating his ship like Han does to the Millennium Falcon.

Django Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It wasn't Luke's X-Wing, it belonged to the Rebel Alliance...:p

Then again he never named his T-16.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The threads choices are virtue signaling, a straw man, and a bait.

A fictitious ship with a name including the word Slave is not an endorsement of Slavery nor downplaying the experience of being a slave.

In this particular instance, the name was given by Jango in reference to his actually having been a Slave, and is an ironic acknowledgement of his past.

Context is actually important when determining meaning, and meaning is what gives a word it's power. This is dishonest, ignorant of the the names context, and therefore it's intended meaning.

And for what? To try and score dubious morality points, and shame fans who aren't triggered by the very mention of a word out of context?

I didn't vote because neither choice is an honest answer or representative of my feelings about this non-issue.

6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Or maybe he did, he just didn't say "I used to bullseye womp rats in my Nabine back home" for obvious reasons...

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I Slave

Glitterstimm likes this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The poll isn't about signaling virtue. As I explained in a previous post, associating the aesthetics of a cool ship with slavery is problematic. It has real effects in the world.

What if the ship was named Child Abductor I or White Power IV, should we just leave it that way because it's a fictional universe or because it was acceptable in the 80s?

As for virtue signaling, I have problem with this kind of ad hominem because it tries to change the focus of the topic to the motivations of an individual. Do you know me well enough to think I don't actually care about this issue or that I'm just trying to show off?

2Cleva and DarthRamRod like this.
  10. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    What an odd wording choice Chalk... Of course I picked 1 - It's the Slave 1. But the "I think references to slavery are cool" was an odd way to ask... :cool:

Like "Do you prefer blondes or brunettes...who have committed murder?" o_O

To the broader issue... We shouldn't hide from our past - It's how we learn. The term should not be erased in this scenario, because it was never viewed as a good thing from any fan anyway. We knew what it meant and what the implications were. Disney may try to turn BF into a saint but I always knew exactly what he was :boba:

Don't want to go down this road too much - But I hate when you watch a historic movie set during certain times, and they erase the language as it would have been spoken - just to appease the modern audience... That is disrespectful to those that lived through it!

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it’s named that in Legends cause Jango was a slave for a bit. However that’s not canon. Nor will it ever be.

12. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    You accused others of gaslighting earlier in this thread and yet your very implication in the quoted text here and the choices in the original poll are pure gaslighting.

Your example names are also disingenuous and, quite frankly, revolting.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. There obviously was someone who didn’t like it enough that it peaked someone at Lucasfilm. Changing its name will not hurt sales. A good solid majority of people who watched Boba don’t even know the name of his ship.

14. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, promoting revolting concepts with exciting aesthetic designs is revolting. We agree.

The poll question certainly isn't gaslighting. I'm very straightforward about what it means to prefer Slave I. It has unavoidable connections to the real world.

Someone else mentioned that I'm saying we can't talk about slavery in movies. That's as far from the truth as possible.

The problem here is associating a cool design with something unsavory. That's a destructive thing to do with marketing or narrative.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    But no I don’t think those who liked the name are somehow bad or something. I only chose the firespray option because I just don’t care.

Slave One is kinda a bad name. As it implies the existence of a Slave Two. Nobody names the first thing X 1 you do that retroactively.

Yes I know in Legends he had Slave 2-like 4 but he didn’t own that at the point we first heard him call that in TCW. Thus the name makes no sense.

It would be like calling the millennium falcon the Millennium Falcon One. See how little that makes sense.

Is this a joke? Yes. But have I kinda convinced myself of it? Also yes. :p

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's not, because the ship isn't named "Slave Master I" or "Slave Transport I." As Pro said, context matters.

It doesn't matter whether you actually care or are trying to show off; this is virtue signaling because it's as stupid a position to take as accusing the Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy of being problematic and rooted in colorism, another thing you tried to do. I am not going to sit here and accuse you of trying to insincerely win the progressive Olympics, but some of these arguments are so wildly divorced of reality, they read like somebody trying to make progressives look stupid by taking stances that are impossible to take seriously.

Cool, so should we tell Lucasfilm to redesign Darth Vader, the stormtroopers, and all the Empire's ships to look worse? Because if they look too cool, then obviously that's a tacit endorsement of fascistic, authoritarian governments and imperial colonial powers. Or are we not going for consistency today?

17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Like Rogue One. I am still waiting for Rogue 2

Sarge, DarthFixxxer and Django Fett like this.
  18. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I don't think they are necessarily bad, but they have some kind of belief on some level that it's not problematic to market slavery in a visually appealing form.

There's a number of reasons people might feel that way and it doesn't mean they are evil.

But that doesn't mean such a bias isn't a problem. There's a reason our culture still is the way it is.

@PymParticles Colorism in Star Wars still is a problem, and there are ways it could be addressed.

2Cleva likes this.
  19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    And the reason would be... Jango's ship ?

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Where did Jango get it from?

21. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Because of people's desire to pretend racism doesn't exist, and that the language we use continues to contribute to and perpetuate the problem. The fantasy that fiction is totally divorced from culture and history.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    This reminds me, I ought to watch Django at some point.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  23. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Am I the only one that read the choices and laughed out loud?

Sarge, RetropME and 3sm1r like this.
  24. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes

JoshieHewls likes this.
  25. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Nope.

DarthFixxxer and JoshieHewls like this.
Thread Status: