main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends This Little Light (L/M AU Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Jul 14, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, strange that Ben is the only one who senses something amiss. [face_worried] LOL and SQUEE on Jaina's date. I know whatever she puts on will be just right. ;) Totally will lead to a second date. :)

AzureAngel2, jcgoble3 and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I think Mara wants a little girl. :) Nice update.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is so much fun!

Poor Mara, unexpectedly pregnant and no one home to share it with. :(
    I love Leia's reaction and I can't wait to see how Luke and Ben react. But I have a bad feeling about Ben's bad feelings. [face_worried]

Great work! I look forward to more!

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh] Sometimes in an AU the more things change, the more they stay the same! I loved seeing the twins hanging out and actually being happy, and Mara helping Jaina out with the "right" amount of intimidation :p

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I love seeing Mara in her roll as aunt. Great update.

AzureAngel2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    jcgoble3, Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, Annia Piet, Falcon, JadeLotus, divapilot, TrustyTrooper, Jedi_Lover, mavjade

Mara, Jaina, and Tenel Ka searched through Mara's closet while Jacen sat in the kitchen, chowing down on some leftover meat from last night's dinner. Mara rejected several outfits out of hand–the full-body green tunic and pants were too informal, plus just not "date-y" enough; it was loose, sleeved, and unflattering. The low-backed red gown was too daring for a first date. The slit-sided black dress wasn't going to be an option, either.

"How about this?" Tenel Ka asked.

The gown she held up was floor-length and colored a deep, sparkly blue. It was sleeveless, but high-backed and had a modest, but not prudish, neckline. Mara nodded. It had potential. Jaina whistled.

"I like it," she said. "Where'd you get it?"

"Your Uncle Luke bought it for me for our twentieth anniversary," Mara said.

"It's beautiful."

Mara nodded. "Luke has exquisite taste...sometimes." His timing bites, though. "Come on, why don't you try that on?"

The gown was a bit too long for Jaina, since she was somewhat shorter than Mara, but wearing a pair of heels compensated perfectly. Tenel Ka helped Jaina do her hair, and Mara was impressed with how well Tenel Ka did one-handed. The braiding was expert.

"Fel is going to love you," Mara said.

"I hope so," Jaina replied. She checked her chrono. "Oh, he's supposed to be picking me up in half an hour. Thanks so much for your help, Aunt Mara."

"Anytime, Jaina. I hope you have fun."

Jaina and Tenel Ka left the apartment. On the way out, Tenel Ka grabbed Jacen by the shoulder and dragged him from the room. His mouth was still full of food. Mara laughed. As the door slid shut behind the three young adults, Mara slumped down on the couch and exhaled.

"Oh, Luke," she said. "I hope you hurry up."

Luke had been about to leave Dagobah, confident in some new decisions, when he felt something tugging him toward the cave. He looked in that direction, remembering his encounter with the incorporeal form of Darth Vader, with Luke's own face behind the mask. He wondered what would be inside this time. Shrugging, he removed his utility belt and lightsaber and put them in inside Yoda's hut, on a counter. Then, unarmed except for the Force, he headed for the cave.

He'd scarcely entered when a glowing blue form appeared. Luke expected to see Obi-Wan, or maybe Yoda or even his own father...but the figure who appeared was less familiar to Luke. After a moment, Luke realized who he was.

"Mace Windu," he said.

The bald spirit nodded. "Yes. And you are Luke Skywalker. It is unfortunate that I was never able to meet you in life; I have watched you, and you are one of the most worthy Jedi Masters I have ever seen. But you have made some of the same mistakes that Yoda and I did."

"I know. I was actually here because I wanted to meditate on these things."

"That is good." Mace held out his arms. "It would be unwise for you to follow the leader of the Republic blindly, as we did."

"I know. Why did you appear to me?"

"Because, I have to warn you. The shroud of the dark side still exists in the galaxy. Your son and nephew may soon face an agent of the darkness. Whether they prevail or not, the Jedi will soon be needed." Mace's spirit stepped forward. "Skywalker, you must hear me now. You cannot make the same mistake that Yoda and I did: we became a militant order, fighting a war. That is not what the Jedi should be."

"Then how are we to stop the darkness?"

"That, I fear, is for you to answer. But please, heed my warning, or you may find yourself in a deeper peril than you ever suspected."

With that, Mace's spirit vanished. Luke sighed and nodded. Turning, he headed out of the cave, retrieved his belt and saber, and returned to his X-wing. It was time to get home.

Jaina felt her stomach doing somersaults as she and Jag walked into the theater. Jag had told her the location of their date would be a surprise–he was right. It was the Galactic Opera House! Even in the beautiful blue gown, she felt under-dressed. Jag was wearing his commander's uniform, a deep blue that matched Jaina's outfit nicely. His shoulder pads were gold, and he had a rank badge and three medals pinned to his left breast.

"I had no idea we'd be coming here or I would've dressed up more...well, more," Jaina said.

"Relax," Jag said with a smile. "You look lovely."

"Thank you. You look nice, too. You fill out that uniform nicely." She groaned inwardly as she realized what she'd just said. "I mean...ugh, I'm sorry, that was a stupid thing to say."

Jag chuckled. "No worries."

He led Jaina to their seats. The stage floor, dozens of meters below, was still covered by a thick curtain. As Jaina watched, stagehands scurried around, preparing for the show to begin. Jaina glanced across the room to the seating across the stage, and even though she couldn't see the individuals because of the distance between them, she sensed someone utterly familiar. She blinked.

"Chief of State Omas is here," she said.

"He comes to the opera often," Jag replied. "This show is his favorite."

"Ah."

They lapsed into silence for a few moments, and soon, the lights went out. Above them, the stage lights flicked on, lighting up only the part of the room occupied by the performers. As the show went on, Jaina found herself enjoying it. The story was a retelling of a tragedy that had taken place five hundred years earlier, when a woman who had been the commanding officer of a Republic army retired and returned home. Things back home were not as she'd remembered them; her family had been cast off the throne and replaced by their rivals. She fought to regain her throne.

The play was not even halfway over when Jaina began to sense something amiss. Frowning, she reached for her handbag, which contained her lightsaber. She stopped herself. She was probably being silly.

Then there was the sharp crack of a sniper rifle firing. It repeated twice. Jaina was on her feet instantly, as was Jag. It took several others some time to realize that this was not part of the play, and as soon as that happened, they began scrambling around in a panic.

"The Chief!" Jag said.

Jaina's eyes widened. She and Jag rushed out into the corridor and rounded the circumference of the theater, hoping they weren't too late.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ach! No matter what universe Cal Omas has the worst luck! And great appearance by Mace. I was rather hoping Luke would meet him. I hope Luke can take advantage of his warning.

AzureAngel2, jcgoble3 and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This chapter has it all. A gluttonous young man, an appearance by Mace's spirit, a warning about a mysterious threat, the imminent return of Luke to face the pregnancy news, a first date, an actual threat at the opera house, and Cal Omas. I love it.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Totally awesome and eventful first date indeed! :eek: Very crucial warning; just hopes it comes in time, or the solution does. :eek: I liked the message Mace had as well, that a militant response isn't always the best. [face_thinking] Luke really does need to get back now for several reasons! [face_worried] When Mara hears the news of the impending threat she is really gonna think "wow, what timing." :p Like instead of a time of wow, joy, it just ramps up the worry factor.

10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Excellent scene with Luke and Mace to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself - Mace is a good adviser in that regard. And love Mara on aunt duty, although in her condition it makes her miss Luke all the more.

11. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Love how you incorporated Mace Windu. His role makes perfect sense here. And of course,Jaina finds herself in the midst of a potential political assassination, showing just how linked the political and military roles are with the Jedi.

Jaina and Jag make a great team. I love how she is anxious about impressing him, first date jitters. And what a first date it is...[face_hypnotized]

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    jcgoble3, Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, Annia Piet, Falcon, JadeLotus, divapilot, TrustyTrooper, Jedi_Lover, mavjade

Mara was in the kitchen making herself dinner. The HoloNet was on, and the volume turned up so she could hear it from where she was. Nothing interesting seemed to be happening tonight; the news was all about scandalous celebrity relationships and upcoming holofilm releases. As she finished heating her dinner, she walked into the living room.

"This just in," said a Chevin reporter. "It seems that there has been a shooting at the Galactic Opera House! Chief of State Cal Omas was in attendance and the building is in lockdown; no news is being received as to the condition of the Chief or any other attendees."

Mara blinked in surprise, set her meal down on a side table, and rushed out the door, pulling on her jacket as she ran. Her comlink chirped and she pulled it from her pocket. The voice on the other end was that of Kyle Katarn, an old friend of Mara's and a senior member of the Jedi Council.

"Mara," Kyle said, "did you hear the news?"

"The shooting at the Opera House?" Mara asked. "Yes, I heard. I'm on my way now."

"Good. We're already scrambling teams–Cilghal and Tekli are going to be going in to assist the medics with any injured. Master Sebatyne and Knights Korr and Rhysode are going to act as crowd control."

Mara was at a landing pad now, and she hopped in her speeder and gunned it.

"I'll meet you there, Kyle," she said. "We can't let the shooter get away, especially if he was targeting Omas."

"My thoughts exactly," Kyle replied. "May the Force be with you, Mara."

"May the Force be with us, Kyle."

Mara killed the link and shoved it in her pocket. As she flew toward the Opera House, a brief feeling of doubt crossed her mind. She was pregnant, now; if something went wrong, she could be risking the life of the barely-formed infant inside her. Could she take that chance?

She'd have to. She slipped into the speeder lanes headed for the Opera House and didn't give it a second thought.

"Thank you for coming," the dockmaster said. "I was worried that our next shipment might be targeted as well, but with you here, I feel confident enough to go ahead and ship it as planned."

Anakin looked out the window behind the dockmaster's desk. It provided a view of the vast loading docks below, and Anakin watched as bulky ASP-7 labor droids lifted the crates of supplies and loaded them aboard massive transport vessels. He probed the area with the Force, looking out for a suspicious thought, a warning sign, anything. He couldn't pick anything up.

"Are the shipments being lost en route to Coruscant?" Kam asked.

The dockmaster nodded. "They leave Garqi as scheduled, but after their first hyperspace reversion, we lose contact with them! We tried sending support fighters, but they were of no use; they disappeared along with the freighters."

"They may be lying in wait at that spot," Kam said. "Have you considered changing routes?"

"We tried, but they caught us after the first jump there, too!"

Anakin frowned. It sounded like an inside job to him; if they were catching the freighters without fail, then they must have a tracking device on the vessels. If they did, then someone had to be planting the device before liftoff.

"We'll give the docks a look," Kam said. "If we can't find anything, we'll accompany the vessel to Coruscant and ensure that anything waiting after reversion cannot get the vessel."

"Oh, thank you, Master Jedi!" the dockmaster said. "Please, follow me; I'll lead you down to the docks."

The dockmaster and Kam walked out first, followed by Ben, and then Anakin and Tahiri. Anakin kept his hand near his lightsaber. If there was going to be trouble, now could be the time for it.

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Of course there is going to be trouble. Great update :)

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intriguing mystery with the shipments. [face_thinking] And love the Jedi action around the attack at the opera house. Mara's saying to herself I so don't need this, now. :eek: If she risks compromising her pregnancy before Luke even gets to hear of it, ouch! =D=

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice. :D Kyle and Mara are going to be on the trail of the shooter, from the looks of it, and we're preparing for some action on on the Garqi mission. :D

16. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    A bit of action - love it! I like that yes, she thinks for a moment about the pregnancy, but then gets on with the job. Neither she or Leia ducked out of the action when pregnant in Legends continuity so it makes sense she'd take the same attitude here, even though she's considerably older here

AzureAngel2, Revanfan1 and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I wonder why the Force send Mace Windu to warn Luke about a new sith thread. [face_thinking]

Anyway, I like that both met. As much as I like Jag being sweet with Jaina.

Nyota's Heart and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Catching up...

I loved the dress finding scene. :) And Mace's warning is quite ominious. I fear this attack on the Opera is much more than it seems.

=D=

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

"Is the Chief all right?" Jaina asked.

A security officer nodded in confirmation. "It must be luck, but only one of the shots actually struck him full-on. We managed to get him stable."

"Good." Jaina turned to Jag. "We need to find that shooter."

He nodded and pulled a holdout blaster from his sleeve. Jaina sprinted up the hall toward the booth where the shooter had been. She pulled her lightsaber to hand, keeping it deactivated but ready at any moment. When they got to the booth, the shooter was gone, but the rifle remained in place. Jaina turned as she heard footsteps approaching. A team CSF officers approached.

"I'm a Jedi!" Jaina snapped as they raised their rifles. "Listen, the shooter's rifle is still in there, but he's gone."

"We're locking down the building as we speak," one officer said. "He won't escape."

Jaina nodded and she and Jag headed down the halls. Jaina strode determinedly around the perimeter of the hall itself. Jag followed in her wake, a look of confusion slowly mounting on his face.

"Where exactly are we going?" he asked.

"Jedi, remember?" Jaina said jokingly. "I'm trying to sense the person who's trying to be inconspicuous."

Jag chuckled. "Sounds good to me. How's it working?"

"Better if you'd give me some quiet."

Jaina headed off in the direction the Force indicated, which led down a hallway to a turbolift that would access the lower maintenance levels–that would be right below the stage. She walked up to the turbolift and pressed the control unsteadily.

"This it?" Jag asked.

She nodded. "I think so."

"Then let's do this."

Mara, Kyle, Kyp, and the other Jedi Masters and Knights rushed into the foyer of the Opera House. The CSF officers had created a quarantine there, preventing the shooters from getting out.

"Any leads on the scumbag who fired the shot?" Kyp asked.

"He's still inside," one officer said. "Some young lady claiming she was a Jedi said his rifle was still in his box, and then she went off to follow him."

Jaina, Mara thought. She and Jag would naturally have not waited for backup. Mara checked her lightsaber and sleeve blaster, and then nodded to the other Jedi. Jaden Korr and Ganner Rhysode headed toward the crowds, helping CSF cordon them off. The others spread out to do their assigned duties.

"I can sense Jaina," Mara said. "We should go after her."

"I'm with you, Mara," Kyle said. "Let's do it."

The two of them headed off, and Mara hoped that Kyle wouldn't sense the little bundle she was now carrying inside her. Not that she didn't trust Kyle, but the more people knew before Luke, the more likely that he'd hear it from someone else.

She pushed the thought out of her head, and focused on the present. They had a killer to catch.

Annia Piet and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Somehow I think that Jaina and Jag have bitten off more than they can chew here and that Mara and Kyle will have to rescue them. [face_laugh]

Great set-up in anticipation of the (final?) battle. :D

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Jaina and Jag are young and reckless. Jaina kinda reminds me of her grandfather, in a good way.

Great update :)

Nyota's Heart, Revanfan1 and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh goodness no. We're still in month 1 of pregnancy. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, so you're going to take this all the way through childbirth? :D :D :D

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I plan on it... ;)

Nyota's Heart and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent post showing Jaina and Jag working together. LOL on Mara's wanting no one to slip up and tell Luke first. All the way to childbirth, huh? Well [face_mischief] :cool:

Revanfan1 likes this.