main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I beg to differ, as I very much continue to doubt her ability based on her roles in various films including Garden State and The Other Boleyn Girl. I don't hate her nor do I find her ugly. Actually she is quite cute in certain roles. I just haven't ever seen her give a convincing performance that didn't make my eyes roll on a constant basis. And thats not for a lack of trying.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, well. To each his own. I think she's great. Cold Mountain and Hotel Chevalier (both brief parts) are her best work IMO.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Natalie Portman is not the name in that press-release that worries me; Jane Foster is a long way from being one of the best characters in Thor, imo. No romance is better than a bad romance. What is wrong with Sif as a love interest?

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    The plot of the movie is that Thunder God Thor, prideful and arrogant, is "taken down a peg" by All-Father Odin, who places the young upstart in a mortal body in the mortal world surrounded by (you guessed it) mortals. Hence, mortal love interest.

And just because Jane Foster was dull in the comics (I'm a Thor fan and I hardly remember her), does not mean she can't re-written as a sparkling wit!

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I am not familiar with the character but I am always amazed how the simple, seemingly mundane or irrelevant character from a comic that doesn't really sway interest can be given new life through the eyes of the right writer. Some times all it takes is a new approach to an old formula.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I think if the Thor movie is to appeal to the mainstream Jane Foster would have more have more of an impact. I'm sure Kenneth Branagh with his love for Shakespeare with mix in a quality love story.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Agreed and agreed.

With the casting of Nurse Foster, we can now be certain the storyline will involve Donald Blake (the crippled medical doctor who is secretly Thor). I understand this has not yet been officially stated by the studio, but with Foster in the picture it's a sure thing at this point.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Anthony Hopkins to Play Odin in Thor!

Anthony Hopkins has been cast as Norse god Odin in Marvel Studios' Thor, to be directed by Kenneth Branagh starting January.

Odin is the father of Thor and Loki, to be played by Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, respectively. Natalie Portman is playing Thor's love interest, Jane Foster.

In the movie, written by Mark Protosevich and Zack Stentz, the powerful but arrogant warrior Thor's reckless actions re-ignite an ancient war. As punishment, Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans. Once here, he learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends dark forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Paramount Pictures will release the film on May 20, 2011.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I thought Brian Blessed was playing Odin? Guess not!

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Damn fine cast. Anthony Hopkins as Odin will lend a further air of credibility to the project, and aloof authority to the role of the All-Father of Asgard. He's note-perfect for the part.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    An African-descended Heimdall? This is the first casting misstep. The Norse are not known for their dark brown skin tones.

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    It does seem weird. Perhaps the script deals with reincarnation, or the like? Or possibly Heimdall is a bit-part, with Idris Elba performing the role with a full-face helmet... he'd need to be a big fan to do that, though.

Whatever, he is an other great actor to add to Thor's already impressive list.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    The only way it makes any kind of sense is if the characters are resurrected into different bodies from those they inhabited in the ancient heyday of the Norse gods. Whether we postulate that gods are the products of human thought, or actual beings who rule the elements and/or regions and peoples of the earth, it just doesn't make sense that a black guy would be among the Norse pantheon.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Didn't he leave Lord of the Rings because of "creative differences"?

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  20. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  21. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It looks awesome. That's all I have at the moment.

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Well, that trailer was a disappointment and a half.

Seriously, Hollywood - this orange-and-teal nonsense is getting disgusting. The Asgard shot might as well have been filmed in black and white and then tinted with one color or the other depending on whether they were inside or outside. And the trashy metal that played under the latter half - ugh.

And as much as I enjoyed Hemsworth in the first ten minutes of Star Trek, I'm getting really tired of bland Aussie beefcakes doing bad faux-English accents.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The sound effects in the beginning are hilariously bad.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    At :46 in this working link to the Thor trailer you'll see the shot under review.

Asgard -- its outer spires and inner spires -- is golden. You're reading this as "orange". But orange is only one component of gold, along with brown (in the shadowed areas) and of course various saturations of yellow and red, and white in the highlights.

The sky behind the Gods' Palace varies from powder-blue (you know, like the sky!) at image left to a deeper thalo blue at image right. You're reading this as "teal". Teal is a medium blue-green, but I'm not seeing any green in the color of the sky.

I personally do not find any colors "disgusting". But if I did have this unusual aesthetic response, it would stand to reason that I would, conversely, find other colors "exciting" or "beautiful". Since the trailer under review has a huge variety of colors -- including the very bright red of Thor's cape, plus various blues, grays, blacks, golden-yellow, sepia and brown -- it seems you would have had a positive reaction to at least some of them. Yet you do not mention these.

You appear to be cherry-picking only the things you hate -- in this instance, two colors out of hundreds -- and reporting on them as "disgusting", while ignoring any elements you might enjoy or appreciate.

As to Hemsworth, I find him not at all "bland", but rather intense and savage. His accent is a generic European English accent, as required by the role. If you have read Thor comics you'll know that his dialogue, and that of other Asgardians, is rendered in faux-Shakespearean. It comes with the Thor territory; if you dislike this aspect of the mythos then perhaps this movie is not for you.