main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Matthew Vaughn to Direct Thor

Marvel Studios is setting Matthew Vaughn to direct Thor, based on the Marvel Comics character. Marvel is aiming for a pre-strike production start this winter.

Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend) did the adaptation of the comic book franchise that launched in 1962. Thor is a blonde-tressed, hammer-wielding hero who's sent to Earth to protect mankind.

Vaughn's deal is closing just as Paramount releases the Vaughn-directed Stardust today.

Thor marks Vaughn's second effort at a superhero pic. He was attached to direct X-Men: The Last Stand before bowing out for personal reasons. Vaughn, who produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, made his directing debut with the Daniel Craig starrer Layer Cake.

Will they go the Donald Blake story? I hope so. It'll be nice to have that human element there.

[/color]

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I wonder if they'll keep the Old English from the comics (at least the ones that I remember). I can see that getting rather tedious for non-fans walking into this movie blind, you know ?

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I actually wouldn't mind the old english dialogue thrown in there. I liked that in the comics. Now the big question who will play Thor? also if they go the Donald Blake route will they have the same person play both?

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Cast Gerard Butler as Thor and Bill Nighy as Odin, and I would die happy.

5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Sean Bean would be the perfect Thor.

What I'm curious about, is how they're going to make his outfit look. I know they'll ruin it, by making him look like a mascot at a Minnesota Vikings game.

EDIT: Oh and I obviously want to see Loki as the villian in this one.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Loki was always my favorite character; Thor's a bore.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Exclusive: Vaughn On Thor

?Marvel were so surprised to see this other side of me with Stardust,? recalls Matthew Vaughn of his initial meeting to discuss his vision for the God of Thunder. ?They actually said to me, ?You are going to make Thor more macho? Right?? Well, don?t worry ? Thor?s not going to be wearing a dress".

Eschewing the floral frock and pumps combo is, all things considered, a step in the right direction when conceptualising one of comics? hardest heroes. It?s a leap back on the horse for Vaughn, too, who missed out on his previous chance to assure his place in the comics hall of fame when he walked away from X-Men III.

?When I went into Marvel for my first X-Men meeting, I saw a figure on the desk and said ?are you guys are going to make Thor?? They said, ?We?re just going to commission a script. We want to do it like Gladiator with Norse mythology and the birth of a superhero?. That really stuck in my mind. And when Marvel saw Stardust, they asked me to do it. So here I am, back again and prepping Thor.?

The son of Odin (king of the gods, fond of ravens) and brother to Loki (tricksy, given to practical jokes), The Mighty Thor wields the power of thunder and lightning. Such potency doesn?t lend itself to modesty though, and so it is that Thor is sent to Earth in order to learn some humility. In comic lore, part of this lesson includes a mortal identity (that of disabled medical student Donald Blake) and all recollection of godhood banished from his mind. Word is that Vaughn?s origin tale will touch on none of this, staying firmly in Asgard for the duration, but maybe that?s a good thing. Of all the comic adaptations that have been mooted (and it?s a very long list indeed), few are more potentially fraught than Thor. After all, Hollywood was built on web-slinging vigilantes and men who dress up as bats to pummel villains in makeup, but when your hero is an aeons-old Norse god with a hammer, who speaks in the vernacular of Shakespeare, things could easily veer towards the daft. For his part though, Vaughn does not appear concerned with the potential pitfalls.

?My only concern initially was that it?s another fantasy film [after Stardust], but it?s different in the sense that it?s a superhero film set in the world of fantasy. You?ve got Thor and Odin and it?s set in Asgard - it?s not going to be like Lord of the Rings or even Narnia. I think it?s important to keep it comic book. We?re not doing the Thor of Norse mythology. We?re doing the Marvel Thor.?

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Whomever gets cast as Thor, pray they don't give him a bad dye job a la Colin Farrell in "Alexander"...

9. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Right now it looks as if Kevin Mckidd is rumored.

dkt

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Ilan Eshkeri to Score Thor

Composer Ilan Eshkeri revealed to Score Notes back in August that he is reteaming with his Layer Cake and Stardust helmer Matthew Vaughn for the big screen Thor adaptation:

I'm looking forward to starting work with Matthew on 'Thor.' The script is really fantastic - I just got a stack of comic books and I'm currently reading all the early stuff! Anyway, and with a bit of luck, there will be some other projects to look out for before the release of 'Thor.'

I haven't heard any of his previous work before. Anyone know about him?

11. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Just put Brad Pitt in there.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Who's that? Hayden Christensen might not be too bad.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Vaughn Wants to Shoot Thor in the UK

Stardust director Matthew Vaughn told the Daily Mail that he wants to shoot comic book adaptation Thor at home in the UK.

"We have the A-list actors, designers, cinematographers and crew in Britain, so there's no need to make 'Thor' among all that madness in Los Angeles," he said.

The newspaper added that, because of the current writers strike in the US, Thor would not start filming until the end of next year.

14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Nah, his voice is too weak.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Marvel Studios Sets Four More Release Dates!

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $100.7 million domestically and over $200 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright'sAnt-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Rumour has it, they are looking at Brad Pitt for Thor; bit old. But Loki is far more interesting.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I am interested as to who will be cast in this movie. The big 3 characters are Thor, Loki, and Odin. Any suggestions for casting?

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Rutger Hauer for Odin.

19. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I'd like Bill Nighy as Odin, but Rutger Hauer is an intersting choice.

I love Brad Pitt -- he's astonishingly good as Achilles in TROY -- but his age is starting to show now, and we're looking for a young, prideful Thunder God. I say cast an unknown.

Loki? How about the guy who played Simon in Serenity? He looks the part, and has the right mix of cruelty and pathos in his face to play the troubled God of Mischief.

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Interesting choice, although I havent seen the actor in anything else besides Firefly so I dont really know what kind of range he has beyond what he played on the show (which was a pretty one note character).

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Not Simon; Jayne.

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Adam Baldwin as Loki? I'm not so sure that would work! I chose Simon because his face is so similar to the Marvel character. Baldwin (no realtion to the brothers B) doesn't have the same sinister coldness the character seems to require. Brutish, yes; calculating and manipulative, no.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    If you watch season 5 of Angel you will see a different side of Adam Baldwin - refined and verging on camp. However, I still wouldn't want him as Loki - the god of mischief should not be six foot four inches, and beefy with it.

My picks for Loki would be Jonathan Rhys Meyers or James Marsters.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Marsters or Rhys Meyers: now you're talkin'!

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    If you want skinny: Sacha Baron Cohen

But if I recall the comix correctly, Loki and Thor had the same sort of height and build.

EDIT: Johnny Depp?