main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, Loki was tall but not buff like Thor. He was drawn in that Marvel superheroic style, in which a "skinny" character would still be rendered with unbelievable musculature, just not as, ya know, tremendous.

SB Cohen? Please, dear lords of casting, no! [face_sick]

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I think Vaughn has actually been taken off the project.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, a few days ago it was reported he was off the project.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [image=http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images/thor_64_cvr.jpg] Loki doesn't look skinny to me.

[image=http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/vol/12000/11023/11023-96194-1-loki_400.jpg]

[image=http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/5000/4324/150338-loki_400.jpg]

[image=http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/812/812779/ep03_1_1187115296.jpg] Kevin McKidd was considered for Thor

I think Baldwin would be fine:

[image=http://www.fireflywiki.org/img/Jayne23.jpg]

That said, Nathan Fillion would be okay, too.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    You can see that, as I said, Loki is drawn with musculature greater than the average person, but not as massive as Thor's. The first drawing up there is uncharacteristic of Loki; he's rendered too bulky, too superhuman. The other two are more in keeping with his thinner-than-the-average-superhero physique.

And Adam Baldwin simply is not right for the part. Apart from his bulky physicality, Baldwin is not erudite enough to play a Nordic prince.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Loki in Mythology

The Marvel Loki

Note: from the Marvel version:

"Height: 6 ft. 4 in.
    Weight: 525 lbs
    Eyes: Green
    Hair: Black-grey

Strength Level: Loki possesses the normal strength of an Asgardian male of his age, height, and build. He can lift (press) about 30 tons."

I'm sure Baldwin should be able to *act* erudite.

7. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Anyone can see in the pics you posted above that Loki is meant to be thinner than Thor. That's all I'm saying. Also, Baldwin is a bad choice because he has nothing of Loki's serpentine, malevolent features. I said Simon for Loki because his face has a passing resemblance to the way the character has been depicted since 1963. You might as well say you want to cast Nathan Fillion as Thor and the guy who played Shepherd Book as Odin. Kayley will play the Enchantress, and Inara of course is Sif, Goddess of War. None of these is going to happen.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Perhaps a real Scandinavian? Mads Mikkelsen is probably too short.

Sean Bean and Viggo Mortenssen are probably both too old, though if they weren't, they'd be a great Loki and Thor.

Casting suggestions

Elwes and Glenn are good suggestions, but Dan Haggerty? Are these people mad? It's an obvious Liam Neeson role.

9. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Neeson for Odin would be perfect. And I like your suggestion of Mads Mikkelsen for Loki. At last we can agree!

Most of those choices in the Wizard article, linked above, are unrealistic at best. James Woods might have been right 15 years ago. The dude who played Conan on TV? Good heavens, he's got to be 45 by now. Are these people even paying attention to the proposed script? Thor is young and brash in this one, not grizzled and wrinkled.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Woods was born in 1947, so he's over 60, and looks it.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I grew up reading and loving Thor (late 70s-early 80s, around issues 270 to 310, iirc), but I have to say I can't see this movie being any good.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Well, the potential for camp is obvious, unfortunately.

And if he weren't 50, what a perfect Loki Daniel Day-Lewis would be. Not probably his thing, however.

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Yes, they're going to have to be extremely careful with the dialogue to avoid the camp factor. How Shakespearean is too Shakespearean? At what point does the audience stop understanding, and start giggling? Thor is not exactly a subtle guy, and the presence of so much pomposity has the potential for uproarious (and unintentional) laughter.

Daniel Day-Lewis would be perfect for Loki, but I agree that portraying a Norse deity in the Marvel superhero vein is probably not his cup o' tea.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    No, I think that's a great idea.
    Are you kidding? For a masochistic method-king like Day-Lewis it's a golden oportunity - swan around all day acting like you're a god, then get someone to sew your lips together and drip acid on you. Believe me, I think he'd kill for this role.

15. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ In that case, get Day-Lewis for the first one and Mikkelsen for the sequels! :cool:

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Just tell Day-Lewis that Loki can (and does) morph into a woman, and he's yours.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    "Thor" is scheduled for July 4th 2010 with Mark Protosevich ("The Cell") currently working on the script. A director will be announced later this Summer, and much of the action will be set in the mythical Norse realm of the gods - Asgard.
    - Dark Horizons

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I hope they escew the horned helmet outfit for something simpler, like this:

[image=http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1004/THRSOA_Digest_sm.jpg]

19. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Horned helmet?? o_O

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Loki has a helmet with exaggerated horns--obviously a guy with 'size' issues--Thor has the winged version, but both look stupid.

21. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Sorry I was thinking Thor not Loki. Either way I agree both are silly. :p Thus why I am a fan of Ultimate Thor's costume choice.

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Superman's costume is "silly", and the producers of the recent Returns film had to be convinced by the director to keep the classic blue tights and red cape over their misgivings about how "silly" it looks. But it's iconic and visually simplistic, and somehow it just works.

Same with the Kirby-designed Thor costume. It's basically a Norse-ification of the Superman outfit: blue tights, red cape, yellow belt. A Viking warrior-god would wear a helmet, so on his head it goes. (Winged helmets are unhistorical, with only a handful of ceremonial examples actually existing from ancient times, and none of these is Norse; however, it looks beautiful and again, is iconic.) I for one hope the filmmakers are brave enough to stay true to the comic-book version of Thor, which after all is what this film is about. The best superhero movies have been those that are true to the original comics on which they are based.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I think you can allude to the Norse aspect and the classic Kirby style costume without envoking winged helmets. Thor's look can evolve and I don't think many people would be offput by it. But as you say Superman's look is so incredibly iconic that its not the same unless he is in the blue tights and red boots. I am not convinced that Thor's look is nearly as iconic as Superman's.

You can remain true to something while still evolving it.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Adventures in Babysitting would differ ;)

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They can do the standard Marvel plot or they could do something radical, like, you know...using their imaginations.