main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Empire spoiler special podcast is up with the director, really interesting and fun listen

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-podcast-thor-ragnarok-spoiler-special-taika-waititi/

But the best revelation in there is about the reshoots with Odin / destruction of Thor's hammer, as in the trailer it was here (New York)

[​IMG]

But in later trailers / movie it was here

[​IMG]

Also there were early spy photos of Hopkins in NYC like this

[​IMG]

this article explains the change a bit

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...e-location-of-that-hela-hammer-smashing-scene

Well, here's the thing. Alleyways aren't cool. Fields are cool. Alright? Ask anyone. We originally shot some of that stuff [sic] in New York. What we wanted to do was, you know, have them go down to Earth and they see Doctor Strange and stuff. But it just felt too convenient that he was suddenly just down a road in an alley. And also everything up until then had been so fast-paced and all over the place. We wanted to go someplace peaceful.

And also, the Empire podcast, I believe Waititi said that in the original format, it was kind of sad that Odin was a crazed Fisher King style guy. So maybe in the reshoots they gave him back his sanity and peace, which really works quite well and I think it's more of an appropriate setting for Odin's final moments.

In non-Odin, reshoot news, how Hulk got into space

https://nerdist.com/hulk-space-thor-ragnarok-marvel-avengers-retcon-kevin-feige/

So, what’s the canonical explanation for how Hulk eventually made his way to become a gladiator in the Grandmaster’s arena? Well, in Thor: Ragnarok, Hulk winds up on the trash planet of Sakaar, which has multiple vortexes in the sky that function as interdimensional garbage chutes, dumping the universe’s refuse on the planet’s surface. It stands to reason that as the Quinjet approached the upper reaches of Earth’s atmosphere, it could have been sucked through one of these vortexes, stranding Banner among the outcasts, misfits, and literal trash people of Sakaar.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    So they're implying that the devil has another orifice on Earth?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I enjoyed this film. But it definitely felt like I was watching another Guardians of the Galaxy film.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I definitely thought the idea was that everyone was evacuated. Were there definitely still people on it?

I definitely think the sequence being in some random alley in New York wouldn't have worked as well. I really love the idea that Odin went back to Norway, to the place where the roots of his myth and legend began on Earth. It really did give a sense of him having returned home and found peace which, especially since it's been like four years in MCU time since he was banished, feels a lot more redemptive in terms of what we find out about Odin later. Like he had his time of penance being exiled and found peace on Earth. I really liked that whole element of the movie with Odin's death. And since later we have to grapple with the idea that Asgard isn't the final home for the, well, the Asgardians, it helps that the movie has already introduced the idea of there being more homes for them across the realms, ie. Norway on Earth, the cradle of their Earthly myth. Beautiful actually. I hope we get to see the refugee Asgardians end up somewhere beautiful in a later movie.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The scene definitely worked better in the field, but that shot of Hela and the hammer in the alley just feels better in the grungy alley.

Kiki-Gonn and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The only issue with that reshoot was you could easily tell it was green screened. Why not actually go to a cliff and film them standing there? They don't have to stand right on the edge.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Blanchett looks grungier in that shot too. She's quite a bit gothier and more ragged in the alley shot than the cliff shot. The scene being in a filthy alley does kind of go a long way to making her goth-punk look feel more organic than it did in the field.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I just saw this today with my two nephews and my dad we all really liked it!

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah. I’m wondering if her “cleaned up” trick she does on the cliff and, later, when she tries to win Thor over, was a later addition based on the difference between versions.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Way to go Marvel , you ruined another iconic character just for the sake of some cheap laughs and a few bucks . Ok , here's everything thats wrong with this movie . . .

nah , it was a hoot , I really enjoyed it , laughed out loud many times . Goldblum was terrific , Blanchett was surprisingly funny too . some great visuals , shame about Assguard ( who cares !) , it worked a lot better than GOTG I thought .
    btw - when did Jane dump him ? or is this their not so subtle way of saying "we've fired Natalie Portman" ?

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd have to watch Ultron again, but I think there was a Jane Foster mention in that as well that they were on a break or something. Or maybe that was Tony and Pepper.

Edit: Captain America: Civil War did the exact same thing with Tony and Pepper—ended their relationship off-screen.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think it was both. Maria Hill asked, "Where are the ladies?" I believe she was talking about both Jane and Pepper.

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, considering that Marvel does that all the time, this criticism wouldn't be too surprising if it was genuine.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Why do that, though? If they can't be bothered to get the actor for the movie, then why not just avoid mentioning them altogether? Saying that they broke up doesn't really make the story flow any better, and it just draws more attention to out-of-universe considerations. If Pepper or Jane don't have anything to contribute to the plot, then maybe just say they're busy somewhere with whatever...at least that keeps the little relationship status quo intact, and you don't have to invent up some drama between the characters.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The reference to Pepper and Jane in Ultron are fairly positive as they're off doing their own thing, Pepper is running Stark Industries and Jane won a nobel prize.

Civil War's reference to Pepper is pretty negative but it befits the character of Tony Stark where he is in his character arc and in the movie itself. And it leads to a great moment in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Jane's dumping in Ragnrok off screen is probably the most blatant "Yeah, we didn't get the actress back" so they play it off as a joke. The most you can read into that is Jane isn't too pleased when Thor comes back in The Dark World so maybe that just snowballed, despite their happy post-credits reunion in DW.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I believe it was Portman's decision not to come back. I thought the way Ultron and Civil War handled Pepper was fine; as some have said, it plays into Tony's arc; it isn't just a nod to the actress not being there or whatever. And I liked the way Homecoming brought her back in a really organic way that, once again, played neatly into Tony's arc. And I think the movies kind of have to mention them because if they didn't, people would be up in arms about it; you know, not us, but people who are kind of crazy.

Sarge, Ezio Skywalker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did the Casket of Ancient Winters (the cube that was central to Thor 1's plot and that Hela called "weak") get destroyed by Surtur at the end? Did Surtur survive the ending?

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Finally saw this! I'm so glad people aren't afraid to make bat***t insane movies like this one. "Let's have the Hulk battle a giant wolf in a space ocean!" And so many awkward pauses and mistimed dialogue... there were scenes that weren't shot or orchestrated "clean" and predictable and the movie was the better for it. And Jeff Goldblum was a literal caricature of Jeff Goldblum.

Actually all the casting in this one was excellent. Cate Blanchett was amazing (barring spoilers, I hope she comes back; we get so few good Marvel villains). And the Hemsworth/Hiddles dynamic is always perfect. Those two are total yin and yang.

If Marvel wants to keep juxtaposing earth-based Spider-Man/Iron Man/Captain America etc stories with psychedelic tripzoville space/multidimension-based GotG/Thor/Strange films, I'll be cool with that.

BigAl6ft6, Kiki-Gonn, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Remember though, the last Thor movie had an action sequence which consisted of Alien Elves In Spaceships vs. Space Vikings In Flying Longboats...with frikkin' laser beams!

This is just par for the course.

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It doesn't quite count because they made the Dark Elves look like a generic Mass Effect species.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Man, Mass Effect DLC must get weird.

[​IMG]

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Somehow that movie managed to make even that feel generic and uninspired. These two movies couldn’t feel more different in terms of risk taking IMO.

Barriss_Coffee and Sarge like this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So after seeing JL last night, it made me appreciate this movie more.

As a standalone movie, it definitely have some problems with balance of plot for one, but overall I think about it this way - it is the 17th movie in the MCU. Let that sink in for a moment. They haven't all been winners but this is number 17 in an ongoing still not tired story that is building to something big. In this film, we have established characters like Thor, Loki, and Hulk and the director had some fun with them. It's kind of like what Gareth Edwards wanted to do with Rogue One, but he really didn't get a chance to make it fun. It's maybe what Lord and Miller were trying to do with Solo, but we'll never know for sure.

Regardless, we have one more movie (Black Panther) before our first installment of Infinity War. Everything that has been built is coming to a conclusion (story-wise) and I'm happy to have a little fun in this installment of Thor, rather than being bored and watching underdeveloped characters take on an uninteresting villain.