main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I watched Thor: Ragnarok for a second time over the Thanksgiving weekend and I was more satisfied with the second viewing as I picked up on alot more nuances of the characters and elements of the film.

Without hesitation, Thor: Ragnarok is my favorite comic book movie of the year (that's including Logan).

It's a difficult balancing act to commit to the humorous elements of the film without falling into the campiness of something like Batman and Robin or Green Lantern. The humor really enhances the quality of the film and adds layers to characters like Thor, Hulk and Hela to name a few.

I love how Cate Blanchett's took on the role of Hela. It was very Disney "evil Queen" like, that reminded me of Angelina Jolie's performance in Maleficent, with a touch of Deadpool-like self-awareness. Meaning, she gave the character gravitas with alot of tongue-and-cheek. I mean, Blanchett gives the character of Hela grace and power in posture and subtle movements.

[​IMG]

And Jeff Goldblum...
    [​IMG]

In short, there are great and memorable performances by the actors in this film where they're able to put their stamp and personas on the characters they portray.

And ending was different from most comic book films where the hero doesn't...

punch his way to victory. The hero actually take a huge loss for the greater good.

And as such, with the first post credit scene, I can't safely assume the people of Asgard made it to earth. I'm also curious of Loki owes a debt to Thanos with the failed invasion of earth in the first Avengers film.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    with all the weird time loop stuff that marvel does, is there a chance that thor actually is a young odin? seems like something they might do. losing the same eye should probably at least have some significance.

BigAl6ft6 and Ghost like this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Gamiel and Sarge like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Seems like a cool idea, but given Odin's new backstory provided in Ragnarok, I don't think if Thor gets stuck in the past he'll name his eldest daughter Hela and try to conquer the cosmos before coming to his senses.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it's more like a Luke and Vader situation rather than Odinson actually being Odin himself.

It actually reminded me of Jason Aaron's "Godbomb" story arc.

And with Thor: Ragnarok, for me, it becomes the MCU's second best trilogy behind Captain America.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The boys asked me to see Thor 3 this weekend. Now I've seen it twice, which I guess is probably better than having seen Justice League once, though I don't know that for certain.

Anyway. Hela draws her strength from Asgard. I assume Thor draws his thundergod powers from Asgard as well. Surtur's prophesied destiny is to destroy Asgard. Yet we're told that Asgard is its people, not the place. Why should destroying Asgard the place make Hela vulnerable? Why would Surtur be destined to destroy the place at all if its existence is unessential to the nature of Asgard? And why isn't Thor as vulnerable to the destruction of the place as Hela is? Death is at least as place-transcendent as thunder.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

No

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Asgard is both a place and of people. Much like a bloodline, the spirit and essence of Asgard with live on with the people born from it.

Hela may have drawn her power in killing and conquering in the name of Asgard. I mean, she is the Goddess of Death. So, death becomes her.

The prophecy of Ragnarok, like many prophecies are meant to fulfilled, but in many instances, not they way people perceived it to be. Surtur fulfilled his part in the prophecy, and now a rebirth can take place. Which is why Thor 3's ending is different from the current crop of superhero films.

It's not certain that Hela is dead. It's only assumed.

Hela probably killed more Asgardians than Surtur. There's a part in the film where Hela is sitting on her throne, IIRC and there is mention of a revolt. Hela send her army of the dead to wipe them out. Afterwards, she sends her army to hunt and kill any insurrections, which we see as Heimdall rescues as many as he can.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ragnarok itself is also cyclical. So it makes sense that even if Asgard is destined to be destroyed by Surtur, that it lives on its people so that it can be reborn for the next cycle.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The TOS statue of limitations of two weeks for Movie Spoilers has expired, so we're no longer required to use Spoiler Tags.

So, for anyone that haven't seen the movie yet spoilers ahead for Ragnarok and Infinity War trailer.

I'm sure you know this already, but for record keeping purposes, the first Infinity War trailer answers/confirms this:

[​IMG]

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think those shots are from the same scene/location, though we are clearly meant to assume they are.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It looks like a wrecked ship and Loki is definitely handing over the Tesseract.

And then we get this at the end of the Infinity War trailer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all could be a misdirect or not even make it to the final cut of the film, but from the narrative of the trailer, the fate of the Asgardians is not good.

Master_Rebado and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, I think Thanos is arriving on Earth, and he already has the Space Stone/Tesseract.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The leaked WhateverCon trailer had the Guardians pick up Thor. I assume Thanos did the same thing with Loki.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003

I thought the clip of Thor on the Guardians' windshield was from the end of Guardians 2, wasn't it? I thought I saw it at the cinema. Was there more in the WhateverCon trailer?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nope, that’s not one of the maaaany GOTG2 after-credits scenes. You might have seen the leaked video before it was taken down.

soitscometothis likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Nope. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 had like 4-5 post credit scenes but none of the had Thor hitting a windshield.

The leaded trailer was from either D-23 or SDCC 2017, which looked like it was film from someone's shirt pocket.

soitscometothis likes this.
  19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Wow, my memory sucks. Alzheimer's, here I come.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My guess is:

1) That's Thanos' ship from the T:R mid-credits.
    2) He'll demand the Tessesract, which is on the ship (cue looks at Loki).
    3) Thor will attempt to fight for it and will be knocked "into next week" (i.e. basically a couple of sectors away)
    4) Loki will bargain the Tesseract for the Asgardians' lives.
    5) Thor will end up on the GOTG ship's windshield.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    'Thor: Ragnarok' Mid-Credits Scene Explained by Head of Marvel Studios

It's been confirmed to be Thanos' ship. It's called "Sanctuary II."

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well ... I think I'm turning into a Marvel Curmudgeon.

I saw Thor. I thought it was okay. I do not understand the lavish praise it is getting. I thought there were some high notes, but there were an awful lot of low notes, and a lot of incredibly mediocre notes. I thought the film spent too much time trying to be a Marvel movie, rather than allowing itself to be, and forced too many jokes. The jokes that were forced really fell flat for me, and took away from the jokes that worked. I rather enjoyed Ruffalo, in both Hulk form and Banner form, though I liked the Banner form better. I rather liked the character of Valkyrie. I enjoyed Hela - not that she was done well as a villain, but that she was done well as a Marvel villain, which is an important distinction to make.

I left the theater with no desire to re-watch, happy only that "if it's referenced in Infinity War, I won't be lost". Which, to be honest, is how I've come to feel about a great many Marvel movies of late (and speaks volumes to their marketing campaign and connected Universe). About the only Marvel movies I find myself willing to re-watch are Iron Man (1 only), Both Avengers, All Three Captain Americas, and the first GOTG. The rest of it is Filler so Avengers makes more sense.

Sarge likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bout 2 weeks ago I saw the last showing of Thor: Ragnarok in theatres in my area of town. And I do mean the last cuz they had Downsizing playing in that same screen later that night. Pretty fun second watch cuz the gags move so fast you can pick up on some bits moreso. Almost half-full theatre too for a 4:20 on a Thursday afternoon, guess there were some Marvel geeks who wanted to see it before it went away.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

The "or" part is great.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000