main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

ON Thoughts and reflection thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by CrazyMike, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyMike

CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 4, 2000
    Many of you that know me know that I am not the best person when it comes to deep discussion. Maybe it is because I am short a few brain cells from years of substance abuse or the fact that I was dropped on my head when I was 6 months old. Perhaps it is my short attention span take your pick well whatever the reason is I am going to try and be little more verbal here and this thread.

Lets start with how you all feel about your Star Wars experience. Are you cautiously optimistic about EPIII.

I will start of by saying that I was in Germany with Jeannette in April at Jedi Con and it was a real treat for me to be at an all Star Wars convention. It was also very exciting to see the enthusiasm of Star Wars fans out there and having the opportunity to meet so many nice people. I found it rather funny that Steve Sansweet knew who I was when I mentioned my name. Jeannette and I just turned and looked at each other and smiled. Since that event a lot of things have happened on and off the boards that has really left a bitter taste in my mouth with no fault of George Lucas, Steve Sansweet or anyone else at LFL. I feel like the Star Wars fire burning inside of me has subsided to a certain degree. Many things have gone on this year on these boards which I am not going to get into in this thread. I am a fighter and I assure you that I am not going anywhere in the near future. With that being said I have seen a few people take SW way too seriously and have allowed events on this forum to rule their real life. I think that might be a reason why I feel a little distant from the excitement that is building right now for C3. Due to the fact that I am saving money for Jeannette and my wedding in a few years I have had to scrap attending C3. I remember how excited I was to be going but it did not really hit me that hard to pull the preverbal plug. I guess that recent events have taken their toll. I now look to ways to get my enthusiasm back. Perhaps once all the merchandise starts to come out I will get the fever back. I have always valued the friendships that I have made with all of you thanks to Star Wars and these boards. I am also most thankful to have met Jeannette after my marriage broke up last year. While Jeannette is not crazy like me she loves meeting people and going to conventions. I feel that the Star Wars experience is all of you and being able to partake in the experience with all of you and even if EPIII is terrible you are what will make it great for me.. Who knows maybe there will be episodes 7,8, and 9. In all honesty and in my humble opinion the LOTR trilogy completely blew away Eps I and II but to me the movies are a small part of the SW experience.

The days of anticipation are coming to an end and once EPIII comes out. May 19th will be a bitter sweet. Not only because I turn 40 on that day and because it will mark the end of an era that marked almost 30 years of my life. And next summer as I start the wedding preparations for 2006 I prepare to enter the next chapter of my life with Jeannette. I look to a future with children and hopefully they too will catch a little Star Wars fever from their old man.

What are your thoughts :)

2. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Mike ; Great Post I Loved reading It!!!!

I dont have much to say at the moment ; i will come back for that, you know i am not one to say much!!!
    But when i feel like ranting i will come here and tell all my thouts!!!!

3. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm very excited about E3. Its the last film and the end of the two trilogy's. I'm looking at it as a whole new phase of Star Wars fandom that is about to begin. What will be the next medium....T.V, more books, character specific movies. This is all very exciting and something to look forward to. Its just the begining...

4. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    Hey there.

Well...Generally I've been very upset with Lucas about how he's handled the Prequels. The first one was sloppy...and the second one let me down about seeing some clone war action. The third movie will be a relief if not to end the misery that's trailed this new trilogy. But I'm still looking forward to seeing it. Dispite my moaning about the movies...it's still fun to watch them to say the least. I hope EpIII is much better then the other two combined and has more of a character driven plot then just all the flashy CGI. No offence...but I wanted to care about Ben, Padme and Anakin. I hope this movie does it. And who wouldn't be giddy to see the Vader himself resurrected...it sent a chill down my spine to hear Palpatine say "Darth Vader..." "Rise!"

Then to hear James Earl Jones voice back as the sith lord...WoooYah! Still I just wish the movies had gone a bit different then they had been...but oh well, that's me.

5. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    That line was great DG. I hope that Mr Lucas is able to pull out a good movie as this will be the one
    that links all of the others together. I really hope that ROTS is good as I am going into it with the least amount of enthusiasm that I have ever had for a SW movie. Sadly my lack of enthusiasm is nothing to do with ROTS but with the loss of a friend earlier this year due to a really stupid incident. It made no sense to me what so ever but it did serve as a lesson to me to not go overboard with SW. It has made me take a step back and to re-evaluate my SW fandom. We can talk more about on Sunday when I meet up with some of you.

6. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Well it is a start of another year and the one task that I do every year is to go through the memory on my phone and clean out the numbers on it. Most numbers are marketing companies, some are numbers that I have memorized, and a few from people that do not like me anymore. While 2004 had its bright moments, there were the dark moments here and in RL. There was alot of crap and accusations made against me by a few individuals which I have finally let go of. Quite frankly people that do not know the type of person I am after knowing me for years really shock me. I am the first person that will stand up and admit when I make a mistake and God knows I have made 1000s of them in my life. I am not a power hungry person or a someone that enjoys hurting people. If I have, it was done by accident and was not my intent and I am sorry.

It seems that in life that you could spend years getting to know someone and that frienship can be obliterated over night. Events of the recent few weeks have brought home to me how fragile friendship, relationships, and life itself is.

My Cousin decided to take his 2 sons to the beach on boxing day to take some pictures. Within minutes of arriving the 3 of them were killed by the tsunami along with thousands of other people around them.

The loss of my cousins has made me realise that life is too precious and fragile to worry about what people think of me. I have a wonderful lady in my life who I am going to marry and have a family with and those are the things that matter. I pray that 2005 is a calmer year for me.

How was your 2004 and what do you look forward to in 2005.

7. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Well... I am truely sorry for your loss...

my year was damn good... and I hope and pray that 2005 can be nearly as good...

I had a great contract... my kids were awsome to watch grow... I did loose my grandmother... but it was natural and her time to go... I made many MANY new friends...

Best wishes to all...

8. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh man...Mike...I'm so sorry for your loss! *hugs*

2004 - hmmm was a strange year for me. Lots of ups and downs - more downs I think. Oh well.

2005 - is looking like it'll be an insanely busy year. RotS, C3, DCon, Duran Duran concert, David Usher putting out a new record....not enough time or money to go around!

9. Davin_Leikvold

Davin_Leikvold Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss... that's terrible. My mother has been going through hard times, as well as my Grandfather. Both my Great Grandfather and Great Uncle have passed away in 2004. For me, 2004 was a year a great change. I was becoming a man and more importantly school was becoming more important and I realized I needed to focus more on my school work. I decided to take a year off Hockey as well as a few other extra-curricular stuff. I have been doing better in my studies and continue to make new friends.
    2005 has been a year of preparation for the real world. I turned 16 on Feb. 21st and have been studying for my Driving Written Exam. I have socialized in the forums and have learned many lessons and acquired alot of knowledge about Star Wars and about others. I took the liberty to explore the Star Wars Tradehouse at Wizards.com and have successfully made trades as far as Australia by mail. I am very proud of my accomplishments. Living in Mississauga, I have tried to start a Star Wars (Sci-Fi) club at my school and it will most likely start early next year. In the process, I have talked to many individuals who have told me that they would personally be interested in joining the club and discuss Sci-Fi stuff etc. I did this myself because I wanted to bring a little Star Wars goodness closer to home. It seems everywhere I go, I am faced with black and white people with no imagination what so ever. I think Star Wars can help bring out a person's creativity as well as imagination that can be of great fun and learning. I hope someday to start my own Sci-Fi club that will gather a group of individuals at my age to show this town what it is truly made for. Moreover, I never want to see one Star Wars book in my school library. I don't want to see 2 hooks of AoTC figures at Wal-Mart selling for rediculously charged prices. I want my parents to understand that it is my hobby and not simply a waste of time. Does that mean I am simply a faceless fan that needs to see his family doctor? I certainly hope not.I hope to proove to them one day that Star Wars has helped me develop as a person.

10. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    As many of you know by now there has been some sort of co-ordinated terror attack in London, England and while the perpetrators of this cowardly act it is a forgone conclusion that it was terrorist attack. The fact that London was announced as the winner of the 2112 Olympics and the G8 taking place in Scotland were possible reasons for why the attacks were launched this morning.

I have a connection to London on many levels, Jeannette being from London, and also been fortunate enough have visited London last year. The people of London have had their share of dealing with bomb attacks from the IRA over the years. The attack took place on buses and unground stations on a path that lead to Jeannette's university. The very station near her University was bombed. Jeannette has spoken to her Mum and she is fine. She mentioned that she heard a blast from apartment.

My thoughts and prayers go out the the vicitims and the people of London. I am so happy that Jeannette is here with me in Burlington. I am also very thankful that we live in a country that has been spared the nightmare of terrorist attacks. A country that is peaceful and is not in the line of fire for terrorists. We pray it will stay that way.

I woke up this morning in a sad and depressing mood but after I heard what happned it made me realise how fortunate I am.

We are very lucky to be in Canada.

11. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes we have so far been lucky and I hope it stays that way.

It is times like these that you reflect on what you have and things that used to irritate you are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

12. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    OMG, trying to get a hold of my friend there but haven't been able to yet :(

13. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I really should watch TV/listen to the radio. I had no idea about what happened. Hopefully things turn out better than people hope.

In an attempt to lighten things up a bit, I'd like to share my Star Wars experiance.

I was born in 1980, about 4 months after ESB came out, and for as long as I can remember, I've loved Star Wars. When I was little, 2 of my 3 favourite shows were The Droids and The Ewoks. I was very jealous of my friend who got to go see Ice Capades when it featured the Ewoks.

I vaguely remember watching ANH and ESB for the first times, especially ESB. That was at a family Christmas, so I only saw parts of it, Luke crashing on Dagobah, training with Yoda, and then the battle with Darth Vader and hanging from Cloud City, though I was under the impression that he was hanging from a tower at the TOP of a city. My first memory of ANH is the trash compactor, I couldn't remember how they got out of it. I saw it from beginning to end in grade 5, and to this day I still cannot watch the scene where Luke discovers Owen and Beru's bodies.

On the other hand, my dad taped ROTJ when I was in grade 4 or 5. There was something wrong with the tape, so we didn't get to see anything before Han being freed from the Carbonite until I was in high school, and we got a new vcr. There were also the commercial breaks, were scenes were shortened.

When I was in high school (grade 9), I was finally able to rent all three movies, and watch them in sequence with no commercials. I also read the novelization of ANH, and discovered the Thrawn trilogy. This started my collection of Star Wars books that continued through high school and college, and ended with the New Jedi Order books and Chewbacca's death, though I've started up again recently. I also was a regular poster on the BBD Star Wars board until it was shut down in '98.

Then, when I was in OAC, TPM came out. I saw the E-now! episode about the Toronto Long Line, and realized that I wasn't the only fan, there were others, and they were willing to do what I could not, stand in line for a movie (the closest town didn't even have a theatre), and meet new people to talk about Star Wars! I despratly wanted to be part of this group, who wouldn't make fun of me for liking a 22 year old movie so much. (I still have that show on tape... maybe I should put it on a DVD or something...)

When Episode II came out, I was at one of the lowest points in my life. I had just moved to London, so I didn't know very many people, except through work, and I hated my job, where I got fired after 4 1/2 months, just 2 weeks after Ep II came out, because I couldn't sell anything. I was depressed, broke, and I had no social life, other than my boyfriend (which is the reason I moved to London in the first place).
    Within 4 months, I got a job doing something I went to school for, had a birthday where my presents were a car, bike and a sewing machine and elderberry pie, and found out about a message board for people in London who liked Star Wars. Instant social life, albeit an online one. It was another 2 months before I met anyone from the board in real life.

Since then I've started costuming, something I'd only done for Halloween, and I've met so many wonderful people, both in real life and online. My love of Star Wars has turned into an obsession, though I've been told by my social worker boyfriend that it's not an unhealthy obsession... not yet. ;) I've also had some amazing experiances, from driving to Syracuse to march in a parade (I've never been so glad to walk anywhere before), to sitting around freezing for 4 days waiting to see a movie!

Star Wars has played such a huge role in my life, including all the friends I've made in the past three years. Friends who don't mind a little craziness, and expect me to dress up in all my weird and wonderful clothing/costumes. Now the girls at Fabricland know me and one of them always asks what Star Wars costume I'm making next.

Wow, sharing this makes me feel like a geek, but it also made me realize how much the people on

14. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    i never saw this thread before, i think that we are truley blessed to be so connected to the world through Star Wars. Our friendships show on so many levels especially when horrible things happen. I was frightened and terrribly sad regarding the events in london, but when i saw the roll call on the London ff i was heartened. Through our love of Star Wars and the bonds of geekdom, we are truley unique.

We are united, bound tightly across all boarders with people we may never meet or speak to, this is a miraclous thing. i am proud to be a part of it. i consider myself truley blessed.

15. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree. Some of the best times in my life has been with fan club events, and given the recent hardship in my life, I can count on people to be there for me and make me laugh. At Celebration, despite mind numberingly long lines, it was worth it to get to talk to fans from all over the world

16. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    It is hard to believe how fast the year is flying by. It seems that as I get older the years appear to pass at a faster rate. Maybe it is because one year of your life becomes a smaller percentage of ones life the longer you live. I often think of how life can change in an instance for the better or for the worse. We never know what is waiting for us around the corner. Because of this it is so important to try and live life to the fullest. That has never been so true with the events of recent weeks, the natural disasters that have wiped out thousands of people and communities in mere seconds.

My parents are of the belief that we should stay inside and protect ourselves from the horrors that life may present us. While I love my folks I disagree strongly. I have always been a believe in fate and destiny. I am not saying that one should walk across the road blindfolded saying to themselves if it is not my time then I will not
    be killed, I am saying that we should try not to be afraid. We should not be afraid, we should be brave and cherish the time that we have here on this planet. We should try and enrich the lives of those around us, socialize, make friends, and always be there for our significant others.

Jeannette and I had a wonderful weekend where we spent the bulk of it with friends of ours. I also had the opportunity to introduce Jeannette to a large group of my friends and we all had a great time together. I received a phone call on Sunday morning from a friend to tell me that her mother had passed away on Thursday. She had been suffering the last several months with cancer. My friend Andrea was very close to her mother and I can only imagine what she is going through at the moment. Her husband Tim sounded shaken from the recent events. I am going to be seeing them later this morning as I pay my respects.

I want to write more but I seem to have run out of words at the moment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.