main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Thoughts/General Discussion: Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Zannah, Nov 13, 2014.

1. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    AOTC doesn't need defending, it's great as is. All parts. If you don't like it, hey that's how you feel. I just don't agree with you. ;)

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I saw it yesterday. Aaahh, the excellence!

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Ahhhh, AOTC. I will say it is my least favorite of the PT and while I think Empire and Hope are better, this film has way more replay value to me than the entire OT. Hayden as Anakin is so much fun, Ewan kills it, Mace Windu kicks some serious ass. The Battle of Geonosis alone is the greatest battle of the SW films to be put on the big screen. The lightsaber duel is pretty meh compared to TPM and ROTS duels, but for some reason, I get hyped as **** when I see Anakin and Obs run in the hangar with Dooku in there. Something sinister about the Count in the film. :p I also love the Speeder chase scene and think Zam Wesell is the most underrated bounty hunter of all time. She is so badass in this film. I remember this was the only prequel I experienced in cinema. I never got to see ROTS, my one regret. :(. Anyways, I was 5 when this came out back in 2002 and I remember scenes that disturbed me as a kid. :p Zams face morphing was creepy, the fact that the film literally starts off with a bang. Seriously I almost cried when the explosion happened. [face_laugh] Also, Anakin's mechanical arm creeped me too. :p I do enjoy this film like all of them and I think it's amazing for the speeder chase, Geonosis battle, the Tatooine scenes and the Kamino fight. :D As Sidious says...."Excellent. You have done well." :p

4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    AotC is awesome!
    Here are a few reasons why.
    Zam! Kamino. Clones. Jango. Count Dooku. Anakin's character development and the drama on Tatooine. Yoda!
    Did I mention Zam! She's so cool.
    There is nothing to defend.

5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    o_OWow.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yes. :p

7. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Can I defend AOTC? Each of the three entries has such a distinct setting and surroundings that I can argue AOTC, or any of the others is the best of the prequels

TPM: Young Anakin, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon seeing something is wrong, kind of a fun adventure story
    AOTC: Older Anakin, Obi-Wan investigates problems, Anakin deals with family problems and develops relationship with Padme, climax launches into Clone Wars
    ROTS: Clone Wars in full swing, fall of the Jedi, very dark

^^All three are very unique. Depending on which time period of the PT you enjoy most (young Ani, Pre-CW, CW) I think you can argue any of them is the best of the prequels. Or at least the one you enjoy most

AOTC gives us great Obi-Wan screen time, the beautiful Kimino planet, it's kind of fun near the end when Obi-Wan meets back up with Anakin and the giant fight occurs. That's what I would say to defend it.

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Battle of Geonosis, enough said :)

9. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    It's such a moody film, as evidenced by its soundtrack. In fact I would almost go so far as to say that the moods present in the film outweigh everything else; it by far has this quality more than any of the other films. It's good.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The action is pretty fun. Obi-Wan v Jango on Kamino, and the asteroid field chase to name a few.

11. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I think you can elevate ATOC for many of its detractors just by changing Anakin's character for the film. It seems this is one of the biggest points why people don't like the PT. Instead of making character Anakin an angsty and brash teenager. His character was more closer to his portrayal to the start of ROTS. A wise and stern warrior but brooding warrior. But less refined version of course.

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    You have to watch this film with your heart, not your head.

I found my original review of this film from 14 years ago almost, on this site, and I was RAVING about how much I loved it. I watched the film again after many years, and the bits that still made me choke up were still there ... the final scenes with the Imperial march being played out, at the same time that Anakin takes yet another fatal step to being Vader with his secret bond with Padme ... and watching the ending, seeing the characters so happy and knowing that it was probably the last time that they would be so .. man... that really gave me the feels.

So in short, if you care about the characters (Vader/Anakin/Obiwan) beyond the context of just one film, your emotions will allow you to overlook the narrative inconsistencies (imh and very biased o).

13. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I think that with a few alterations, AOTC would be amazing, not that it's not great already, but it's easy to see why it usually occupies the bottom two ranks when people list their favourite SW films in order.

Remove that awful, camp, overdone, screeching iguana thing Obiwan rides before fighting Grevous, get rid of the silly unrealistic rubbish involving C3P0 switching heads with a battle droid, and improving the scenes that explore Padme and Anakin's early relationship (especially that "sand" scene where Anakin is talking about things being soft and touching her exposed skin, creeps me out a bit) and you've got a really decent film, these few little stains don't detract too much from the film to me, but they can be distracting enough to cause a lot of people to carry a bitter aftertaste.

As a movie from start to finish, it's a far better movie than TPM, TPM has way too many abominable parts that need t be surgically removed, IMO, the slapstick Jar Jar scenes and doodoo being the main offenders, but in terms of SW story when you really pay attention to details, I would say that we get a lot more from TPM; Qui-Gon's journey and contributions are epic, Sideous is phenomenal as a mysterious bad guy, Maul is iconic as hell and young Obiwan defeating Maul in such a way that provides him with the experience to beat Anakin later on, so balancing them out IMO AOTC is the better movie overall but TPM had the higher potential, but both are great in their own rigfht, but for many (not all) viewers, they require a degree of ignorance regarding certain elements or scenes in order to enjoy them fully.

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Obi-Wan's lizard is from ROTS, not AOTC.

Andy Wylde and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  15. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Oh okay, my mistake, that's one from what would improve ROTS IMO (and probably for a lot of other people too), though for me, ROTS is in the top two of the GL SW saga, despite also having a lot of improvements that I would hypothetically make.

16. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    AOTC has always been my favorite PT movie. I love the whole mood and tone of movie as the spectre of evil just kind of sits in the background.

Obiwan goes off on a detective mission and he thinks he finds this grand army, only foreshadowing the rise of the Empire right in front of his face.

Anakin & Padme are falling in love only foreshadowing their tragic events that will happen to them in ROTS.

In many ways AOTC seems like a simple movie, but its probably the most heartbreaking cause our heroes are walking down a dark path.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I remember posting in this thread before, judging by my older posts it's seems I couldn't decide if I liked AOTC or not. Ultimately I do like the film, in fact feel it has some underrated action scenes and set pieces. The speeder chase was great as we got to see more of Corascant. The Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett is short but a fun watch, a non-force user putting up a fight with a jedi is something you don't see often. The Arena battle was fun for seeing all the jedi in action. The massive battle of Geonosis is still one of my favorite land battles in star wars, very visually pleasing.

While it's still my least favorite in the saga, I can't help but like the film as I remember getting the DVD for my birthday and AOTC being my favorite star wars film before ROTS came along.

Ezon Pin, Darthmaul208 and AshiusX like this.
  18. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The scenes with the creatures, and then the larger battle sequences in the arena (besides 3PO) are by far my favorite parts of AotC. It's just really entertaining and crazy SW action. And yeah, I may have mentioned this before, but something I thought was well done in AotC's story was the whole Obi-Wan detective angle. I just like how he uncovers more and more ominous mysteries and larger schemes from what was initally a simple "track down the bounty hunter" mission. And a lot of his scenes were on Kamino, which was a sweet location.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  19. Darth Baby Selwyn

Darth Baby Selwyn Jedi Knight

Apr 17, 2016
    Since this thread started, I'm going to assume that a fair few of you are old enough at this stage to have a beer legally Or even have a bit of fluff on thee auld upper lip eh?

Anyway so do you all still think that Aotc's is you're favourite? Those god awful romantic scenes? Please tell me you don't all use that lingo in the Auld courting department

20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I love Attack of the Clones. And I've used awkward dialogue and pick up lines around every girl I've dated. And now I'm married and I still do it to my wife.

Sent from A TRANSMISSION BEAMED ABOARD THIS SHIP--

21. Darth Baby Selwyn

Darth Baby Selwyn Jedi Knight

Apr 17, 2016
    Thumbs up to that old chap! When I think about it, I used the old Harrison Ford approach myself back in the day! There is "hope" afterall.

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That's what he said ...:p

Btw your tapatalk signature is priceless.

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  23. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    I love AotC because it's a great story and the most key chapter in Anakin's life. We see how he struggles with his role as the most gifted Jedi, trying to maintain balance between what he's told to do, and what he can do, even if his master can't. I enjoy the love story between Padme and Anakin. Where some people see bad writing, I see honest writing. Most film goers are so used to seeing the same relationship on film over and over again. The hero is always ultra-cool. Always has a bank of witty replies and is always super suave with the ladies. I like the fact Anakin is a more realistic character. He's lived the life of a monk; he's not been around girls. I like to see his fumbling for words and struggles to convey honest emotion. I think his lines are very thoughtful and sweet, and perfect for his background of a slave on a desert world.

I think the CGI and SFX are some of the most imaginative in the entire saga. We see so many beautiful locations with such attention to detail. It's completely out of this world, and at the same time familiar.

I love the action sequences. I think they are fun and very well choreographed and filmed. They are shot in a way that brings you into the action. And I love the pacing of the film, it is so fast, but at the same time has room to breathe. It's never dull.

I like seeing the relationship of Obi-Wan and Anakin. How in many ways, Anakin was ahead of Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan doesn't like this. It is typical of many of the problems the Jedi face in terms of arrogance and feeling superior.

But most of all I really do like the love story. I love the moment before Anakin and Padme get wheeled into the arena to be killed, and they share a forbidden kiss as they roll in to their doom. So well filmed.

And I think the final shot is the best in the saga. As Padme takes Anakin's robotic hand as they're wed in secrecy surrounded by untold beauty. The contrast between how beautiful their love began to how they both end up is remarkable. I love the parallels of Padme taking Anakin's robot hand in love, whereas Luke removes his robotic hand in hatred.

The film is very deep, far more than most give it credit for. People seem to tune out when they hear a line they don't like, or don't understand, and see effects they think are fake, but are real. I think mainstream opinion has tainted this film's reputation and many people are susceptible to that. I'm not, though. I make up my own mind and think my own thoughts. I love AoTC. Everything about it.

24. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I hate beer. Whiskey is a way better, exquisite and rich in taste, of course, without mixing it with ice and other stupid 'accessories". And when you are saying that, isn't it ironic that AOTC is the only mature ;) movie in the Saga, where the good guys drink alcohol and also receive an offer for drugs. I think it is. ;)

But speaking seriously, there is a whole thread, Calling AOTC lovers where can be found enough arguments for loving AOTC. Mine are these, of course I could add more.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/calling-all-aotc-lovers.50039195/#post-53322492

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

To derail the thread a bit further; Whisky is also my go to. Beer is okay but it doesn't have that strong taste or rawness.

Jack Daneils all day

Tonyg likes this.