main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT Thoughts/General Discussion: Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Zannah, Nov 13, 2014.

1. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    I think the part that throws people off is that the actor is just way too pretty to be believable as a dork who has no experience with girls. Surely at some point in his travels some space chick would have polished his lightsaber...

That said, George Lucas' problem was that he wrote teenagers a little too well. Whether it's American Graffiti or Attack of the Clones, he really does hit the mark when depicting how awkward it is when you're trying win over your first crush and you don't have the tiniest clue of what to say or do -or worse yet, you think you know and then you REALLY make a fool of yourself.

I enjoyed the "sand, it gets everywhere" scene because despite Christensen being too good-looking to be a believable space virgin, the scene hit home. He's obviously a clingy momma's boy in love with the only other female in his life, tries to make his move and aside from a kiss, gets nowhere in such an obviously romantic setting. The whole scene is constructed to make Anakin look foolish and succeeds. The fact that so many people who watched the scene didn't realize it was meant to be silly amazes me to this day. I mean, the lovey-dovey music stops cold when Padme pulls away*. They couldn't have been more obvious if both actors had turned, looked directly into the camera and winked at the audience.

* Which is a nod to The Adventures of Don Juan, where the swashbuckling womanizer is about to seduce Lady Catherine as Max Steiner's violins play romantically in the background and she says her husband will be back soon, and Don Juan says "Husband?" as the violins hit the brakes.

eko32eko7, Samnz, oierem and 2 others like this.
  2. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Re-watched AOTC (First time in years, at least since TFA came out) in the lead up to TROS and was pleasantly surprised by how much more I enjoyed it. Yes it has its flaws, the dialogue and CGI can be real cringey at times, but I didn't realize how well paced it is in general. Also made me enjoy TLJ even more as it shows the hubris and ego of the Jedi and how they almost single-handedly let Palpatine take over.

elfdart likes this.
  3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I love the concurrent running plots. Detective Kenobi was freaking awesome. Anakin was just an awkward, uncomfortable youngster trying to score with The Hot Girl, who was herself awkward in her own ways, really wanting to kiss The Cute Boy.
    We got clones, troopers, shadow government machinations, Mandalorian armor, a Tusken slaughter, and Ani losing his temper in a way we've not seen Jedi before.

Plus, we got the Geonosis arena, with stands full of lightsabers. Jedis and droids charging at one another. Samuel L Jackson's best lines in the trilogy. That initial battle scene when Yoda arrives with the troops. And Yoda finally getting to shine as a combative, agile Jedi.

Not a single thing wrong with it in my opinion.

4. Revan-The Prodigal Knight

Revan-The Prodigal Knight Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2020
    To me its at the very end, at Anakin and Padme's wedding, that really gets to me, John Williams music really hits it home well in my opinion in this scene, you get a scene of aww, but also uneasiness, I think even Padme though in love and wanting to do this, had a look (a slight one), look of should we really have done this, when she looks at Anakin after they kiss as husband and wife for the first time. This scene gives the scenario that the galaxy will never be the same again as it was because of this union.