main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts on KOTOR

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by M4A1, May 21, 2022.

1. M4A1

M4A1 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2022
    I thought the original KOTOR was fun, but how well does SWTOR stack up to it?

Overall, SWTOR's story was longer and more engaging, which was something I always appreciated, but after a while it starts to get tedious.

Mind you, the original KOTOR was a bit more difficult, but an experienced speedrunner could probably finish the game in three hours or less.

So with that in mind, which installation of the KOTOR franchise do you prefer and why?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hi!

I’ve moved to is to the RolePlaying Resource area, which is more of a chat area, while the Forum itself is primarily games.

And while I know that many dislike ToR as a sequel to KotoR/KotoR II but I cannot - the characters are so rich.

Vitiate, Marr, Satele, Theron, Acina, Vowrawn, Saresh, Malgus, Arcann, Vaylin - they’re amazing. I love the lore of Sith founding a new empire over the Unknowns and winning a war against the Republic. The Galactic Wars is an incredibly detailed era and connects to every part of Star Wars, and it has so many twists and turns it’s incredibly fun.

3. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Thanks for moving this @Sinrebirth

I've played both KOTOR and KOTOR II and love both games. I think I can safely say, that these were the first real SW RPGs that fully immersed the player in a SW rich environment, full of the lore, action and drama which we associate with our beloved franchise.

Sadly, I have not had the pleasure of playing SWTOR for technical reasons ( I'm not a PC owner ), but I am aware of the grand scope of the game and all its awesomeness.

The Force is strong with this one. :)

4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I have to go with SWTOR purely for gameplay, i couldn't get past the first level of KOTOR, but SWTOR sucks up so much of my time.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Sinrebirth and greyjedi125 like this.
  5. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    My friend, I think I can say this with great certainty: 'You don't know what you're missing'. SWTOR owes it's greatness to KOTOR! I would advise to muster through the first level, because the rewards thereafter are oh-so-satisfying. Either way, it's a joy to be in the company of other SW gamers. :D

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I'm sure I'll give it another try eventually, it was mostly the combat I found frustrating. ​

Sinrebirth and greyjedi125 like this.
  7. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    It's true. Grey here converted me to KOTOR 1 and 2.

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've been obsessed with the KOTOR-era since my friend and I would sneak into his brother's room when he wasn't home to play KOTOR 1 on his Xbox. :D

By the time KOTOR II came out, I was convinced that was the better game, and I held that for years. But on revisiting it some time later, I truly think that KOTOR 1 is superior. Its story feels like a good rip roaring Star Wars tale to me - KOTOR II became too dark for its own good IMO (I know that's not a popular opinion).

As far as SWTOR goes, I made some headway in the Jedi Consular storyline when the game first came out, and the Sith Marauder. Thought the stories were well-told. I don't have a ton of experience with the game, but understood the era well enough. TOR feels like a massive living galaxy, basically turning the Prequels era into an MMO. The original games didn't have that massive sense due to hardware limitations, but they tried.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    KOTOR is one of my favorite games of all time. But I’ve never touched the sequel, and at this point I’m afraid to. Without the nostalgia goggles that I have for the first game, I doubt it’s aged very gracefully at this point.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    It's not about the graphics, it's all about the story. That's what Star Wars is about, an awesome story that is timeless and belongs to every generation. The same holds true for KOTOR and KOTOR II.

A good friend played it recently ( @Master Vo'Un'Var ) and enjoyed it. Proof that the game, though not perfect, can still be enjoyed years later. *( there are many games that are 'classics' and can be played at any time, even many years after launch and still hold their magic, but that's a different discussion )

I agree with @BLemelisk, that KOTOR II is much darker than the first ( much more balanced ) installment, yet it is still an important Star Wars gaming experience, imo.

My suggestion would be to play it and see for yourself. [face_cowboy]

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It’s not so much graphics as it is gameplay. I’d like to give it a go, but my PC is just a dust collector at this point and I’ve heard the Xbox version is very buggy.

Maybe after I get caught up on the Yakuza/Judgment series I’ll take a gander.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Master Vo'Un'Var and greyjedi125 like this.
  12. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Honestly I like the gameplay still. It's not modern, but it's unique, and it works. I've played Xbox, and so has a friend who I recently convinced to play it. Not sure what kind of bugs there are - don't really recall hitting any.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  13. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    KIRYU-CHAN

Reynar_Tedros and greyjedi125 like this.