main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthzac14, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I get that what happened to him post-Rebels is probably still off-limits, but a whole trilogy seems excessive here. There have already been Thrawn "origin stories" in both continuities.

Darth Wardawg likes this.
  2. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I wouldn't say that, regarding the new novels... by the time we meet Thrawn in the new canon he's already the Thrawn we know and love. We don't see how he gets there.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    They need to set up the post-TROS threats. *chuckles softly*

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Ascendancy as a fureture threath. I mean they both thought of attacking and weakening the republic and the empire. I mean they be good villain for fureture jedi and republic, as this myth of a race.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If nothing else, I hope this finally gives us the story of how Csilla was colonized by ancient Duros settlers.

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    My hopes would be:
    Book One details Thrawn's rise through the Chiss Defense Fleet
    Book Two details the nu-Canon Outbound Flight
    Book Three details the Chiss perspective of the end of the Clone Wars and the Jedi Purge. Thrawn's decision to join the Empire

Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hang on.

*inserts obligatory Yuuzhan Vong wish post*

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Project Luminous is the likeliest place where the Yuuzhan Vong will return imo. But you never know

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah and Excellence will return to Lit, astride a sentient Vong bio-toilet, which is singing the praises of Yun-Yammka.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Hey what thing should we put in the new canon to make old fans feel at home again?"

"Just add some Thrawn. All day. Every day."

[​IMG]

...not like that's a bad thing, mind you.

TrandoJedi, Duguay, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Makes me genuinely curious how much these Thrawn books make? Clearly they have a big enough base to make some good cash.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    At this point Thrawn should just get his own tv show on Disney Plus.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    woundt be a bad thing if he was somewhat an evil character. He mays appear in some shows as the villain. Thrawn has more books of him then ever before. mark my words sooner or later he gets into live action. He could appear and help the new republic with its military after ix.

14. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'd like to see Thrawn become somewhat of a good guy. Like someone mentioned, perhaps he makes his return after TROS and helps rebuild the Galaxy or has to come back to save their bacon's against some other bad folks.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  15. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    What we need is for one of the arcs covered in the Clone Wars anthology to be their unproduced Vong story to set up a Thrawn v Vong story.
    Having Thrawn deal with them would be a solid way for them to get the CW story out there without committing to a full invasion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    For all those who weren't in attendance at NYCC, here is what Marc Thompson read during the panel (in Thrawn's voice):

For thousands of years it has been an island of calm within the Chaos. It is a center of power, a model of stability, and a beacon of integrity. The Nine Ruling Families guard it from within; the Expansionary Defense Fleet guards it from without. Its neighbors are left in peace, its enemies are left in ruin. It is light and culture and glory.

It is my home, the only one I have ever known.

It is the Chiss Ascendancy.

17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Well this is a nice surprise. Definitely a day one pick up for me.

18. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The fact that it’s been announced as a trilogy is the best part of this news. Thrawn-Alliances-Treason has kind of retroactively been branded as a one, but aside from a few strands of connective tissue (the threat of the Grysk, Karyn Faro’s Rise etc) it was really three seperate stories. With this set up as a trilogy from the get to it’ll probably allow Zahn to tell a bigger story.

Plus, being set a couple of decades before Thrawn’s involvement in the “main” setting allows for less continuity confinement that he had when working into the Rebels stuff.

19. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Best SW lit news in a long time. Great way to give us quality SW lit without tying anyone's creative hands for future media projects.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Benedict Cumberbatch as a live action Thrawn, with Martin Freeman as Eli Vanto.

Just saying. :D

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  21. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Honestly, I'd have prefered a Chiss story without Thrawn, but a younger Thrawn who hasn't quite reached the level of military genius we usually get is an interesting idea too. I could also imagine that later novels in the trilogy could time-jump to post-Rebels, with Thrawn returning to the Chiss after getting lost due to the Purrgils

22. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I'm sure the 7 people that buy that would enjoy it

seriously though I would too but there's no way it be greenlit at this stage

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  23. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I miss his "mad barking Vong" complaints and dovin basal-equipped underwear theories.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Sudooku and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Probably wishful thinking, but with these books set smack dab in the middle of the Unknown Regions there’s a lot of potential for lore building. Snoke and the Attendants, potentially?

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I could see Snoke in here as hints with him being refferenced as a dark wizard trying to gain Thrawn's alliance. Maybe he has a history with the ascendancy.

Sudooku and PCCViking like this.