main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthzac14, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn. I feel like canon Thrawn's physical appearance with the prominent cheekbones was done so he could be played by Mikkelsen in live action.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I love Zahn's books and consider them to be the best of star wars literature. I still read and consider the legends stuff canon to me. Him and Luceno are top writers in the field along with Kemp and Stover. This is exciting news and will always take more books from Zahn. Too bad he never got the chance to adapt a movie. He would have been awesome.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Plus, Mikkelsen has that vibe about him that makes him very believable as enigmatic alien who most people wouldn’t be able to fathom and be a little afraid of.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Thrawn as a character lost that vibe in literally one scene when Bendu mocked him and Thrawn tried to deal with Bendu in the most primitive way possible (shooting him with a blaster).

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Perhaps Snoke was a Grysk. Which would... actually explain quite a lot. :p

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    This. I haven't had a fanboy grin like this since they announced Mindor. :D

I could have cheered pretty much everything in the thread so far, but here are my louder reactions...

This, too. :D

That. *seconds this with several thousand fake votes supplied by Karrde and Lando* :p

This, too. :D

*seconds*

*snorts (in Cheunh)*

[face_laugh]!!

What's Yuuzan Vong for Excellence-class...?

Or the Grysk are Snoke, at any rate. Yes, this. :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Jedi Ben and Grievousdude like this.
  7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Snoke is two Grysk standing on their shoulders in an trench coat confirmed!
    :p

8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    No, he didn’t.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You're acting as if this "vibe" is some objective truth. It isn't. Every reader's perception of a fictional character will be different.

Perhaps I should have clarified he lost that vibe for me in that moment.

10. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    And how is that different from your comment...?

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Thrawn hasen't lost any vibe and the force is something he dosen't understand, but he still took it down.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You missed my edit: Perhaps I should have clarified he lost that vibe for me in that moment.

Also keep in mind that characters in-universe don't find him enigmatic or scary. Ezra was basically treating Thrawn with contempt.
    While canon Thrawn is different than Legends Thrawn, I don't get the impression Legends Thrawn didn't "understand" the Force so much as he doesn't have it and he uses tools like ysalamiri etc to adapt when dealing with those who do. Just like Nick Fury might not have super powers, but he can hold his own with the Avengers and the X-Men, who do.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Darth Wardawg

Darth Wardawg Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2018
    Glad to see I'm not the only one underwhelmed by this. I love me some Thrawn but darn it can't we get some other stuff? None of what they announced has me excited. Will I get the new Thrawn trilogy? Yeah. But everything they are doing seems, I don't know, to lack vision?

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I suspect, based on the title and the few things we know about it so far, that the series isn't 100% Thrawn-focused as much as it is Chiss Ascendancy-focused. We've had a couple of books now of Thrawn gearing up a team of oddballs to do something in the Unknown Regions, so this is probably the next step. Thrawn's League of Extraordinary (well, more like socially awkward weirdo) Gentlemen.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Sure they do, I mean....look no further than these Zahn novels. His whole shtick when writing Thrawn books is that one or more characters are utterly baffled by what Thrawn’s thinking, where he came from or what his true motives are.

Ezra has literally faced down Vader, Maul and even Palpatine himself.... showing no fear in the face of Thrawn, especially after he had personally ruined Lothal, says more about Ezra than it does the Grand Admiral.

Iron_lord and OrganicMeatbag like this.
  16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Cover to be revealed tomorrow

17. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Sorry for the double post
    [​IMG]

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yes, a ridiculous multipronged title! Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising!!!!

19. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    That was my first thought as well

20. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Given that this trilogy is a spinoff of the previous canon Thrawn trilogy, I read the title as Star Wars: Thrawn – Ascendancy: Chaos Rising. But let's be real, that would be too silly.

SWpants and Daneira like this.
  21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I was totally just expecting this one to be called Thrawn: Ascendancy and then maybe the next one to be called "Thrawn: (Something or Other), Book Two of the Ascendancy Trilogy"

Xammer and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  22. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    That was definitely a consideration @Daneira - as that followed the Aftermath blueprint in terms of naming.

As for how to actually write this, I'd go with one of the these two:

Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising
    or

Star Wars Thrawn: Chaos Rising
    Ascendancy Book I

Naming books is weird.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    A trilogy of Thrawn trilogies. :D

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well cool, I like the minimalism of the cover, even more minimalist than the other Thrawn trilogy covers. And great title, hints at the crazy nature of the Unknown Regions.

Xammer likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do we know what the critters are in the lower left hand corner? They look like serpents or dragons to me.

PCCViking likes this.