main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good (book 2) by Timothy Zahn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 29, 2020.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Zahn goes the route or not having the protagonists and antagonists meet. He did it with the original Thrawn Trilogy, so I could see that play out again here.

But also, I kind of want Jixtus to survive the trilogy. He’s the first Grysk who is an actual character, and I kind of need that going forward for the faction to be interesting.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    questions of this book.?
    The flashbacks sections, are they months or years before, i was little confused at first but then we learn it might happenned between the books, how far time between the first and second of this trilogy.?

3. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s been roughly a year between the first and second book.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    From my reading, Greater Good begins only a month after Chaos Rising ends. Thalias says to Che'ri "With all that was going on last month," she missed her birthday. There's also a reference to "Syndic Thurfian's efforts a few months back to make her betray Thrawn." So not much time has passed. Therefore the majority of the Memories sections are happening concurrently with Chaos Rising. Certainly not in between, Yiv is still around during Memories I.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So how many months does this book take again, as it seems probaly many months, first we have this one character trying to manipuate two teens and again later as he on a farm and making drugs.

6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    IIRC, the Memories cover 9 months--so 9 months after the events of book 1

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I don’t think they were making drugs.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    wasen't it drugs he made, it sonuded like, spices or what he said.

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    He said spices but I don’t think it was “spice” the drug, more the classical real world spices used for trading.

bango31 likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    oh, ok. everytime i hear spices i think star wars drugs.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    It's definitely not nine months after the end of Chaos Rising. The Thalias POV chapters have several references to the events of Chaos Rising being "last month" and "a few months back." The Memories chapters therefore overlap Chaos Rising and potentially precede Chaos Rising. A big clue is that Yiv is mentioned as an active power at the time, even though he ceased to be so at the end of Chaos Rising.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't read it yet, but the Wook is using some line referring to the events of Chaos Rising as "last year" to put GG about a year after it, in 18 BBY.

13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    That's the retaliation against the Paatatus, which happens pretty early in Chaos Rising. I think Chaos Rising spans about a year and Greater Good picks up about a month afterward. Chronology was never Wookieepedia's strong suit.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Supreme Leader Woke and Golbolco like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    FWIW the official Del Rey timeline places GG between CR and ROTS, so it could conceivably still be pre-Empire.

15. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Got it. I just misunderstood when I read the "9 months" bit. Thanks for clarifying!

16. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Hmm, sounds somewhat relevant for pinning things down, including how long Chaos Rising takes.
    We know Thalia remembers the events of last being in the military 'twenty years ago' (Chiss years?) when she signs on as a Caregiver to a new skywalker, so that would seem to set Memories 2, from book 1, around 40 BBY or sooner. Let's say Thrawn is 15-17, at the time. Then several years pass at the Academy, and so on. And with the Anakin scenes set soon after Ahsoka leaves the Order, will be around 19.5 or less, BBY.
    So I'll assume that both books take place prior ROTS until otherwise stated, though we may not be far off the latter, by now.
    Also, Cheri goes from 9 and a half or three quarters, to 'almost 10' for all that helps...[face_thinking]

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I really, really enjoyed this book as well as Chaos Rising. I love all the worldbuilding around the Unknown Regions and the internal affairs of the Chiss Ascendancy, the new interesting species and the way they interrelate, and generally the Wild West feel of the area. And I think it's awesome that we get to see the Unknown Regions through the eyes of their inhabitants instead of "explorers" who came from imperial territory.

My main criticism (that extends to the 2017-2019 Thrawn trilogy as well) is that I'm not 100% sold on the idea that this version of Thrawn is totally ignorant of politics. I definitely welcome the fact that his genius was taken down a notch, but I feel that this level of absolute ineptitude doesn't quite fit with the rest of the character. On the upside, it does mean that we get some brilliant deuteragonists to which he isn't always superior all the time, and that makes for some great character interactions.

A question about a species from this book, which I believe we've already seen in Treason even though the Wook lists them as separate species.

My impression is that we already met the Agbui in Treason, and that in those events they're portrayed as a full-on Grysk client species. Specifically, in Treason chapter 15, we encounter the species that Un'hee calls the Scratchlings when Faro goes aboard the two conjoined Grysk ships that hold a communications triad. The description goes:
    Later in the same chapter, when Thrawn is interrogating the pirates/smugglers, there's this bit of dialogue:
    The description and the bit about touching people's heads for telepathy fit the Agbui. The only difference is the screeching voices, which I don't remember seeing mentioned in Greater Good.

At the end of the encounter with the "Scratchlings" in Treason, Thrawn has his stormtroopers shoot them dead after they pretend to surrender because he anticipates the fact that they'll try to blow themselves up together with the Imperials.

As far as I remember, there was no direct contact between Thrawn and the Agbui in this book (was there?) so I'm kind of expecting that there will be in the next book, to set up for the fact he knows they're a client species of the Grysk.

18. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    Am I the only who thinks there's a decent chance that character is actually Chiss?

19. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    This is absolutely one of my favorite things about these books, and it's what I've been wanting ever since the Hand of Thrawn and Outbound Flight books came out. We got a little glimpse at the EU Chiss during the NJO series but we never got a true dive into the Unknown Regions.

I hope they continue to expand the region and really go wild with it.

Chyntuck and Iron_lord like this.
  20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I kind of held that suspicion going into it, (hell I recall hearing a theory that the character was Thrawn’s long lost sister or even Thrass back from the dead in disguise) but the more I read the book the more I came to just believe what he said towards the end.

Jixtus has a some significant gaps in his knowledge about the Chiss. If you look at his interactions with Haplif and Qilori, Jixtus had to rely on Haplif to figure out how Chiss society worked (Haplif hadn’t been briefed on the ruling families and how that functioned) and was unaware of the Sky-Walkers being the means of how the Chiss travelled through the Chaos.

21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    My gut feeling about that character was that it could be some avatar of
    Palpatine himself. I mean, he ticks all the boxes @SyndicThrass listed and the gaps are definitely things he'd want to know. It would give a new dimension to the way Palps "recruits" Thrawn in the 2017-2019 trilogy, which would be a very Zahnesque sort of twist. It would also set the stage for Palpy's backup plan in the Unknown Regions.

Plus, with the fact that he's hiding his appearance gave me strong prequel vibes.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jixtus says he's a Grysk, though?

SyndicThrass likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    A Grysk Palpatine figure!

24. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I think the easiest evidence as to why he's not Palpatine is that this is towards the end of the Clone Wars and there is no way Palpatine would be spending that much time on this.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Especially in-person, agreed.