main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It's definitely going to be something to hear Ian McDiarmid talking to Thrawn. Ten years ago I would have written that off as absolute madness.

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think they might have Thrawn return with Sheev in tow, but the reveal that Sheev tagged along won't come until the finale, and that we might not get a Thrawn-Emperor interaction in Rebels because of this. I hope I'm wrong.

3. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    So it's looking like Thrawn and Ezra will speak face-to-face.

Atleast it looks like that in the trailers.

In a couple of days we will know Thrawn's fate [face_nail_biting]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Welp.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, well
    Bendu did call it after all.

DaddlerTheDalek and Vialco like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We just all thought
    he would die

7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Interesting way to take the character off the board, and in line with Zahn's mantra of the Force being the biggest enigma to Thrawn.

DaddlerTheDalek and Vialco like this.
  8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I see your defeat. Like many arms surrounding you in a cold embrace.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I just realized that now. That is amazing.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I wish they would have edited in a subtle Bendu laugh in that moment.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  11. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    WHAT?

I honestly now wish Thrawn had never been brought back from Legends. What was the point? In Rebels at no stage was he ever the man we knew from the Thrawn trilogy. Ruined it for me.

And what next?

I am not even going to the space monster things. How does that fit with Star Wars? Or rather the classic Star Wars?

I did read before that someone suggested this could be how Thrawn was defeated but it sounded so far fetched and Dr. Who I did never ever think they would go this way.

I am honestly devastated. This is worse than the end of Last Command. How on earth does this fit with the Thrawn novel and the way the character was set up? How is Zahn fine with that?

My mind is in total disbelief...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Space monsters have had a long history in Star Wars, dating back to ESB.

Vialco and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  13. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    There is a difference between a giant space slug and dimensional beings. That conveniently don't turn up at any of the major battles which had to be won by mere people working together.

Sorry, I am not trying to be difficult, I just am not a fan of this part of canon. I know others love it, I envy you. Maybe it is time for me to go elsewhere, I am already sad with the way the sequels went. Perhaps this is no longer for me.

14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Sounds like it. To me, I'm in the George Lucas school of thought that Star Wars is massive thing that can hold a variety of different stories and genres that need to not just be what we've seen in a few movies.

Plus, in terms of Thrawn himself, I found that his characterisation was broadly on par with how the character first appeared before each subsequent novel humanised him. I think that they've left him in a great place too.
    He's alive, and clearly they want to use him again. At this point, Thrawn's in a position where he's experienced something that would have to radically take him on a different character progression. He's at that point where he and whatever crew is left aboard the Chimaera are all that remains of the Empire five years on. I don't think the Pellaeon namedrop was just a cute thing either.

But that's just my view, different strokes for different folks and all that. You'll still have Zahn's new novel if you feel the rest of the SW media has let you down.

Vialco, DaddlerTheDalek and V-2 like this.
  15. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank you, that actually made me feel better. My gut reaction was negative but I am using my grey matter a bit more and your arguments actually help a lot.

I even went back to re-read certain bits in the TTT and I now realise I had conveniently blanked these out over the years. So... I shall go home and rethink my life.

Still not a fan of the space whales but that is just me. The story in itself was consistent.

16. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    That Rebels finale was really disappointing and the way they handled Thrawn in it was clearly ridiculous.

"We can't beat him because he's too smart? well, let's
    summon from nowhere a crowd of giant space-whales to beat all the Imperial fleet"

Such a lazy writing, any child of 5 years old could end a story like this. First the Bendu, now that. What next? there is no way Thrawn can use his genius if all the time some giant Force creature comes from nowhere to ruin everything and there's nothing to do against it.

We should tell Thrawn there is no need to make any plans or to build any fleet. Just adopt some giant creature and raise it and do some Pokemon fight with the giant creatures of the enemy, it will be more effective.

17. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    ^It's not like he's had time to study these animals.

I liked how it was essentially Nature vs Technology. That's what the entirety of this series is.

18. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It's in keeping with what Zahn has always stressed; that the Force is Thrawn's blindspot. And it's not like it makes Thrawn look weak, I think it's quite the opposite...Thrawn is damned near unbeatable in the realm of logic and reason, but the Force is a profound and mystical thing.

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Of course, we are comparing Thrawn to a non-canon version so it is pointless being frustrated.

20. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I think it was very heavily implied in the episode that Captain Pellaeon was killed by the purrgils.

His name drop was just an easter egg for Legends fans, I wouldn't read too much into it.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think so. The officer on board the Chimera said that the ships were "just...gone" which implies the Purgill dragged them through hyperspace as well. Pellaeon's transmission cuts out which leaves it ambiguous. I say if Thrawn and Ezra survived, Pelleaon and the rest of the 7th fleet survived. That leaves us with a setup for a canon version of the Thrawn trilogy if Disney and Lucasfilm choose to go that route.

22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah I think it's very likely that he's still alive.

23. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    DaddlerTheDalek and JH24 like this.
  24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    "Just...gone" could also mean completely destroyed without any warning. We do see the purrgils hitting the Star Destroyers pretty hard and the smaller capital ships would probably not survive even one collision with one of the larger purrgils.

But if most of Thrawn's 7th fleet was indeed dragged away by the purrgils and we'll get a canon version of the Thrawn trilogy, does that make Ezra the new Joruus C'baoth?

25. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    It really makes me wonder if Ezra had some kind of vision beforehand, one that made him realize this is where he needed to be; this is what he needed to do, and that he needed Thrawn for all of this. If Thrawn's entire fleet was transported to an unknown location, then that would open up a lot of new possibilities.

Ezra would be in a vulnerable position though on arrival. Alone, injured and on a Destroyer full of Troopers. He would need to strike some kind of deal with Thrawn. What is out there that made Ezra realize he can't return home for so many years?

I really liked the nod to Pelleaon. At least Thrawn will have someone competent within the Imperial ranks wherever he is now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018