main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It would be interesting to see the interactions, for sure.

The thing about Thrawn is that he had a very particular vision of the Empire which was different from that of many Imperials (including the founders). He embraced its military and technocratic side, as a force for order and stability. He didn't seem to have much time for the power-mad lunatics like Pestage, Carvin, Isard and most of the Imperial court, and he also seemed to be wary of the mystical side of the Empire. He respected Palpatine enough to serve him and Vader enough to work with him, would never have challenged them openly, but his respect wasn't without reservations, and once he got a turn at running things, he tried to make sure the resident Force user (C'baoth) would be under his control and not the other way around.

I don't see that mentality fitting in too well with either the First Order or Rax's bunch. If anything, I feel like he would've tried to maneuver so that he and not them would've been the new leader of the Empire. I'm only halfway through "Life Debt," but it's interesting to hear Sloane's musings about how much she resents the personality cult that Rax is setting up - it's not hard to imagine that she would've identified with Thrawn and Pellaeon's view of the Empire. But the interesting thing about new canon is that it's doing a mirror-image of the old EU, and taking place in a world where Pellaeon's pragmatists and law-and-order types lost the battle for the future of the Empire, while the mystics and fanatics won it and got to define the Imperial Remnant/Empire of the Hand instead.

So I'm curious to see where Thrawn fits in with all that. I don't think it would be as simple as happily accepting Rax's leadership or going to the Unknown Regions to help set Snoke up.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I saw this before I heard that he'd been confirmed for Rebels, so this was my first thought as well.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically, the Vong scouts probably are canon, as Filoni has said the unfinished-but-planned episode events still happened.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm guessing (for both Rebels and Disney) they brought Thrawn back because they were running out of recognisable villains, since with the exception of Pappa Palpatine himself they've pretty much used all of them and Thrawn was the most famous EU villain.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Wow, I didn't expect they would get Zahn to write another Star Wars book, much less a nuEU Thrawn book?! Although I have concerns about how they could fit Thrawn into the current canon (with post-RotJ being set-up for TFA mostly), but still, yay, this is great news!

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    On the one hand, it's genuinely cool that they decided to have Zahn reintroduce the character to the new canon in the Literature. If there's a classy way of going about things, this is it.

On the other, I can't help but think it's kind of lame that they're bringing EU characters across to the NU. Especially so early on. The odd reference and allusion here and there I'm down with . . . wholesale reproduction? No so much.

That being said, at least this will allow for a more consistent characterisation from the getgo. :p

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    So, Thrawn.
    Apart from being a Sherlock Holmes figure with awesome eyebrows, what made him special as an antagonist IMO were two things:
    -- his outsider position within the Empire because he's a nonhuman
    -- the fact that he was trying all along to protect the galaxy from an outside threat, and joined the Empire because he saw it as the best bet against it (at least in retcon)

Now, I'm not sure about the current state of anti-nonhuman sentiment in the NEU Empire; but as I see it, it can't be as bad as Zahn described it before the Prequels came out, what with Mas Amedda and all. Right?
    And the YV, well, I don't see them coming back.
    So what remains that justifies bringing back Thrawn? Especially since we already have one clearly Thrawn-inspired Fleet Admiral with artistic inclinations already, and are going to get an iconic Grand Admiral come December? Hell, the Vader series even gave us a literal Spacelock Holmes. So... why?

This is not to say that I'm not looking forward to this novel. And I'm keeping my hopes up that Zahn will do something interesting with the Unknown Regions, maybe prepare the ground for the eventual First Order homeland setting. But right now, I'm mostly confused... and extremely curious to see what sort of Thrawn the new canon has room for.

CooperTFN likes this.
  8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Obvious solution is obvious... Thrawn gets kicked out of the New Order and returns to known space in 9 ABY, and gets to repeat his campaign against the New Republic. XD

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    That would be fine. Although in that case, really, there's not much reason not to simply re-canonize TTT, and let this new book be about... something else.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The fact that for the ST they are using a Cosplayer as the main villain, should have given a clue that Disney are a bit bare in the Villain cupboard, it's not surprising Thrawns back.

The problem Starwars has always had (and this is even before Disney) is that Darth Vader is the greatest villain in film history, it's really hard to top that.

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Okay even tho my Thrawn thread was locked, I gotta hand it to Ulicus that was a funny way to lock the thread [face_laugh]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair, the Fleet Admiral
    refused to sign up the Grand Viziers, or the Grand-General. Who is to say he would the Grand Admirals? He isn't interested in joining up with the establishment - he's tearing it down and rebuilding it around him.

A gentle reminder to keep the Aftermath 2 spoilers in their two places please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For me it's a bit different:

Initially, Thrawn is set up as a more careful adversary in contrast to the more wanton characters of Vader and the Emperor, but this does not render him really any more moral than them. If anything Thrawn is every bit as amoral as them in how he pursues his ends, he just has the ability to convince you he isn't that bad.

If you add in the 'uniting the galaxy to fight a bigger bastard' ret-con, does that change anything of Thrawn's MO? I don't think so - it doesn't actually move him from the villain to hero column.

15. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    This will be a day long remembered.....

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I thought it was established that the New Republic had a New EU canon treaty with the Empire remnant, and that the First Order was an offshoot. May be basing this off old rumors.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    An offshoot which also took control of the existing Imperial remnants.

ShaneP, Jedi Ben and DarthMane2 like this.
  18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Okay, then that makes it easy for Thrawn(if he survived that long. We're thinking Ian Mckellen playing him here if the Chiss don't age as rapidly.) to just easily be retired.

EDIT: what would be cool, and obviously there's no knowing how long this new version of the character will be around, is if the First Order persuades him to come out of retirement. He agrees, but don't take no **** from no one, runs things his way, still has his beliefs of how the Empire should be, and even wears the old Imperial Symbol on his uniform.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I know this is Lit, but I find it incredibly interesting who is voicing
    Thrawn in Rebels.

Is it just a coincidence?

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    His clone came out of retirement, you mean?

Grey1 and DarthMane2 like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Zahn being the author is what works for me here. Anyone else writing this? Probably not.

Kylun, fett 4 and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn is a surprise, but I don't believe anything can fix canon for me.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy for you then Zeta!

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
  25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Literature forum - where someone can look at the last two years of Star Wars and conclude that ONLY NOW, with this announcement, is Disney "finally doing something right." Don't ever change, Lit. :)

The return of Tim Zahn to Star Wars is reason for, well, celebration. What a time to be a fan!