main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ahsoka Grand Admiral Thrawn

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 27, 2020.

?

Will Thrawn show up in the Mandalorian?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Jeremy Irons would make an excellent Thrawn.

[​IMG]

2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    While he could probably pull off the look I don’t think he has the right cadence.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Thrawn for an Heir to the Empire Live-Action Adaptation?

Perhaps Luuke kidnapped Growgreen for Grand Admiral Yawn.:confused:;)

Thrawn could always be a cgi character or partial cgi and stand in with make up like we've seen.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Sorry, I meant to reply to you the other day, and got sidetracked. Irons is a very talented actor with a very wide range. He's quite immersive when it comes to getting into the character he is portraying. He could pull off the cadence without issue. And he has the look.

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This whole "support of the bad guys" line of thought is creating a very interesting discussion! Not only it comes exactly at the time when I'm replaying the original "Tie Fighter" video game after a loooong time (its been amazing), but also I have repeatedly said that I want the Empire to be treated as a real threat, and therefore I want to see some victories for them.

I must say, I don't really like the analogies between Star Wars and the "real world". Quite honestly, the Alliance/Republic/New Republic is being presented as an absolute good in Star Wars, and there is no direct analogy for that around here. But the thing is, you know that saying: "a story is only as good as its villain"? that is something I agree wholeheartedly. If you get dangerous antagonist that's great, but if said villain also has some interesting, positive traits, and is given the chance to explain the reasoning behind her/his decisions, even better. It allows you to understand her/his point of view, and I get the feeling that Thrawn is a great chance to do exactly this.

About the casting, I absolutely vote for Lars Mikkelsen. I loved his voice work in Rebels, and I have little doubt
    that he would do a great job in live action. Jason Isaacs would be great too, but I would prefer for him to have the chance to play the Grand Inquisitor!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  6. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    It’s pretty binary in the original trilogy, but in recent years there’s been a specific effort to show that “good guys” do bad things, “bad guys” do good things - and everything inbetween.

Most recently Mayfeld’s speech in the transport about the empire/rebellion illustrated it pretty well, but the example that really comes to mind is Cassian Andor.
    DJ in the last Jedi also touched on this theme...

I can think of plenty of real life examples of regimes/organisations with morally good rhetoric/goals that do some pretty shady and questionable things to achieve “success”

- for the sake of not stirring anyone up or potentially triggering someone I’ll avoid naming them, but they do exist and they’re a lot closer to home than a lot of people would like to admit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Groups and governments being morally grey is more realistic than pure evil or good. Sure there are some who are purely evil in the real world but most are some shade of grey

Django Fett and Shamear like this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    JKF is Blue and white, JKF is live action Thrawn confirmed

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    [face_rofl]

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    But it was so artistically done

clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  13. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I agree completely. That was exactly my point, and something I've quite liked about both Rogue One and the Mandalorian!

14. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I also agree that there is a less binary ethical and moral exploration in SW now than in the "hero" v "villain" distinction of the 70s and 80s.

While Han and Lando were morally ambiguous initially, the stories were written so that when they eventually "came round", it was a surprise and just instilled a belief in people again.

However, experience tells us people in their every day lives just don't often act in that way (or don't all the time). And often, when it does take place, it is seen as "heroic", exceptional, or done in desperate circumstances.

I think in this more morally ambiguous SW universe, the starting point for lots of characters is closer to those struggles in real life - people "just trying to make their way in the universe". (With added blasters and lightsabres).

I thought with Rogue One and Mando you have such ambiguous types, and more realistic/humane characters. In both, there are clearly horrific antagonists against which the protagonist's morals and ethics develop.

It is in their struggle that their "good" comes out.

Also, the inaction of others - as in real life - amplifies their virtue. How "wrong" did it feel when the Rebellion decided not to go to Scarif? Or when they didn't come to Crait? Or when Luke turned away from the same struggle? Or when DJ sold them out just to "make his own way" in the galaxy.

Thank heavens we have our Mandos and Jedi to show us kindness and compassion can overcome oppressive and harmful forces. Eventually.

Ithorians and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s plenty realistic, though, to also have characters that are committed to doing good beyond themselves for much of their lives. I know plenty of people like that - who aren’t just living for themselves, but are committed to a larger and noble cause. But having only characters like that would of course get boring. Agreed there. I just disagree with the implication that it’s “unrealistic” to portray people that are selfless.

16. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Definitely true too. And their stories can be just as entertaining and inspiring as other kinds of protagonist journeys.

17. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Sorry to repeat myself, because I was just writing about it in another thread, but Star Wars is so very inspirational in that regard. Thinking about the Death Star scene in ROTJ, that I saw when I was very little, Luke´s way of dealing with the Emperor and Vader is such a great lesson. It is, as I was saying, the way a good person deals with evil.

Still, I find so very interesting when we get to see, lets say, how the Second Sister went from this lovely girl to this cruel, evil agent of the Empire, or why someone like Thrawn would feel that there is a need for an Empire at all. Its so very necessary to me, because it avoid things getting too simple; when one start saying "kill all the bad guys because we are the good ones, period", chances are you are not so good yourself. The thing is, even when showing us the perspective of the antagonists, Star Wars always manages to make a clear difference between right and wrong. As the life lessons it delivers, its something I wouldn't want to change.

It this case, show us a lot of Thrawn reasonings, but in the end, show us how flawed they are. Not because of errors of logic, but because they lack both empathy and the willingness to use such power to help others...

CISMestizo and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Jason Isaacs...IMO he would make the perfect Thrawn.

[​IMG]

Glitterstimm likes this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    While definitely the look I would just hear the Grand Inquisitor.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Totally. Really for me there is only one man for the job and it’s the man who already voices him

21. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Oh I agree whole heartedly. Lars Mikkelson is an easy win and would slot right in.

22. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Ralph Fiennes would also be a good choice.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Lars Mikkelsen will be The Grand Admiral Thrawn. Unlike with Ahsley or Taylor, he's a seasoned actor and can potray him perfectly like in animation, like with Katee as Bo-Katan. I think this is just 2 years away from becoming reality.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

It seems what i think is going to happen, Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn like with Bo Katan. He's the biggest character to come uot of these tv shows outside of movie characters.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A few years ago, Benedict Cumberbatch would have been my number 1 choice for Thrawn, but Lars Mikkelsen nailed the role in Rebels to the point that I hear his voice when I read the Thrawn novels. Wouldn't want anyone but him in the role.