main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ahsoka Grand Admiral Thrawn

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 27, 2020.

?

Will Thrawn show up in the Mandalorian?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Good I am glad. Lars here we come

clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but does anyone think there's a chance live action Thrawn could have his traditional pupil-less red eyes? I know the pupils help to show where he's looking, but for me he doesn't quite feel like Thrawn to me unless he has the solid red eyes.

I actually think there's a chance. For one thing, we've seen with Ahsoka's montrals and lekku that they aren't beholden to recreating animated characters exactly as they are in their animated appearances. And for another, The Mandalorian took a risk by having its protagonist keep his helmet on for most of the show and I think it's safe to say it paid off. In comparison, having a villain without pupils isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. shaak fett

shaak fett Jedi Padawan

Aug 8, 2020
    It has nothing to do with the style of animation, it's all about convenience and disassembly.

4. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I do agree that they are not obligated to replicate Thrawn’s look from animation. Some aspects could ultimately be considered stylistic choice. Certainly I would say that might be the case for his facial ridges, especially because of how prevalent facial prosthetics were historically among aliens in TV shows. Will they go so far as to change his eyes? Possibly, though somehow that feels more dramatic. And I do think it would be taking away from the actor’s toolset.

And yet, you’re right. They made something similar work with Mando. But helmets/masks might be their own thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did consider it and perhaps even tried it our during pre-production. I do think a few changes would be helpful as they bring him into live action.

And for example, looking at the artwork that was included with the Collector’s Edition of the Thrawn Ascendancy book, I can see the appeal of recreating something closer to his original look, as it seems much more realistic:

[​IMG]

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Thrawn with red eyes pupils will be in live action as well, his art work in books and comics still have them.

6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I prefer the pupil look.

Though in general I’m just curious how they’ll pull the red eyes off. Contacts like that make it very hard for one to see, so perhaps it’ll be CG additions.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

With the tech they have now...I'm sure it will look great whatever they decide to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Paul Bettany spent much of his Wanda Vision filming wearing just blue or red face paint and guidance dots as they added “digital make-up and padding” to him in post-production.

They might experiment with something like that so they can subtly play with Thrawn’s skin texture, facial musculature, and eye color.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think they did something similar with Christoph Waltz’ Blofeld in the new Bond films.

The first glimpse of Thrawn in live action is going to be something. There’s enough of a distinct look that I think the character can really become an iconic visual not unlike Maul.

godisawesome likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

We also to have to remember that Rebels is a stylized cartoon...so this is gonna be more the "What if he was real" look.

Because no matter who they cast I don't think they are gonna die the actor who plays Ezra's hair Blue.

Same with Thrawn who in rebels has more a blue tint to his hair, when normally it's black.

godisawesome likes this.
  11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think the covers for the new Thrawn novels have a pretty good basis for how the character would look in a realistic aesthetic.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Thrawn's hair has always been described as being blue-black.

13. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, going back to Heir to the Empire.

14. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    It seems to vary visually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    He’s had visible pupils consistently in canon. I think that first art piece from Treason is edited, or at least not the final version. He’s also consistently had his facial ridges, though those I suspect could be eliminated because of the associations with Star Trek or budget alien makeup on TV. I also think they might be there for stylistic purposes in Rebels, to match Lars’s facial structure.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The forehead ridges are something I might keep if they used digital mapping for his face, since then you could have them articulated to move organically - which was arguably the weakness of most Star Trek ridges, as too much rubber-forehead in your rubber-forehead aliens starts to clearly be costuming rather than alien.

If they went with actual makeup, I’d only use some suggestion of the ridges.

17. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    I believe it's worth bringing up Pierce Brosnan. What would you guys think of Brosnan playing Thrawn?

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Lars or bust for me until they make a official announcement ;)

Konrad Pietrzak likes this.
  19. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    Now I see that young Thrawn from Legends look like Henry Cavill

20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I imagine he’s going to be a bit busy now that he’s signed on to play Dr Fate in the DC films.

But as to his suitability for the role of Thrawn? I don’t think he’d do well. He’s too theatrical in his performances for a character that is really supposed to be quite stoic and subtle. If they were to cast a 007 to play Thrawn, I think Daniel Craig would probably be more appropriate playing that kind of cold character.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's why I like Lars Mickelson over Cummberbatch

Cummberbatch also comes off as a bit too theatrical

22. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I was sold on Mickelson being the obvious choice by someone on here - I wasn't all too aware of his live action work, although I had seen him in things without realising he was the guy who voiced Thrawn.

I've seen some brilliantly bad suggestions whenever casting Thrawn is mentioned, I think it's got to be Mickelson really.

...him or Zac Effron, obviously.

23. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    If for some reason this did not end up being played by Mikkelsen, I do think Jason Isaacs fits the overall tone and look of the character. The main issue would be that it would be a very different tone from what was set up by Mikkelsen in Rebels and emulates by the Thrawn audio book narrator (is it Marc Thompson?). But, I do sort of like the idea of there being different takes to characters.

Unrelated to casting, and based on what we’ve seen, do we think he’s also the true power behind Moff Gideon? The experiments with Grogu would suggest the Sith Eternal rather than Thrawn, as would the self-destruct protocol that seems to be in place for higher-ranked officers. It doesn’t seem very Thrawn-like to me to have something like that in place. I wonder what that means for Thrawn’s faction, and whether they really operate in the same sector as Gideon’s or are in fact somewhere else altogether.

24. shaak fett

shaak fett Jedi Padawan

Aug 8, 2020
    Maybe Thrawn is fighting the Yuuzhan Vong.

25. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    More likely to be Grisk related activity as the Grisk are essentially the defacto Yuuzhsan Vong.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021