main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ahsoka Grand Admiral Thrawn

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 27, 2020.

?

Will Thrawn show up in the Mandalorian?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m inclined to think Thrawn will be an antagonist.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm still curious what exactly are his goals.

If he's his own brand of Imperial is he building a Empire of the Hand that's gonna attack of the Republic?

Or he's just fortifying his own little Kingdom that is just manipulating the Imp Remnants led by Gideon and the others so sue chaos.

Or perhaps something else.

3. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think he’s probably doing the first (maybe the Seventh Fleet’s Chimaera symbol replaces the classic Imperial insignia to differentiate from other brand of Imps).

4. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    To take the Empire of the Hand idea out further, one must remember the goal of its existence: defense against the serious threats in the Unknown Region. This was setting up whatever the next 'phase' of the EU would be at the time, with the Imperials now having a peace treaty with the New Republic. What that threat ended up being was the Yuuzhan Vong.

This could also be setting up something similar. Thrawn makes for a great compelling villain for this era of Star Wars. But it could also be paving the way for the next big threat; and maybe a more interconnected narrative. The New Jedi Order was originally supposed to be a multimedia event in literature, games, and comics; even if the execution made it well over 95% literature with a few passing mentions elsewhere. Now, Lucasfilm has the structure for such a narrative.

I really can't wait to see where the whole Thrawn narrative takes us. The Thrawn Trilogy is without the slightest question my favorite Star Wars of all times, even more than the OT. I don't know how well parts of it can be shoe-horned in to the new canon, but I'm excited to find out!

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That possible, I do think he has a tie to Gideon, not necessarily as his boss but maybe manipulating the situation with his Remnant to cause chaos while he prepares something big.

It's possible that this Thrawn could be the best package of Villain Thrawn who think's he's doing the right thing but in terrible ways.

Protect from UR threats, but also gonna attack the Repubic and be villainous about it.

6. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Personally, I don't like the idea of Thrawn being brought back as "the villain" (again) at all.
    I can't help but feel his impact would be so much smaller than in his Legends story. A bit more of the same as in Rebels where he was soundly beaten twice.
    If that is what's coming I am already dreading it.

If they use Mount Tantis or other elements as an homage (a bit like Rukh), fine.

After the Rebels finale, why anyone should want to follow someone who lost an entire fleet against a rag-tag band of rebels is beyond me.

If they use Thrawn again as a Bond villain and to show off how great any of the new characters are, it's not for me.

Personally, I would much prefer a more grey Thrawn. The Empire is gone, nothing happens until the First Order arrives. So unless they change that particular story line I really cannot see what impact "Thrawn the classic villain" might have.

I'd much rather they brought in someone new who didn't come with such a huge baggage...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, you’re probably going to have to confront the fact that he’ll likely be GRAND ADMIRAL Thrawn when he shows up next, iconic uniform and everything. He’s probably going to be a villain, they’ll probably either outright ignore the Bloodlines novel or pay the most possible lip service to it to have there be huge action scenes. And at the end of the story Thrawn will probably be defeated and die like every other Star Wars antagonist.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    There is nothing in Bloodline that says that no conflict happened in the previous twenty years. This is a common misconception.

Thrawn is absolutely going to be closer to his Legends self than in the new Zahn novels.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I do Wonder how short or long lived Thrawn will be, will the big crossover be the end of him or is there more stories to tell and how long until that event, Rumors say the mandoverse will last until 2027, So by then we gotten plenty of Mandalorian, Rangers and Boba seasons. Thrawn might be abig player in all of those before the big event. Ahsoka mini series will be when we first see of him, and will another show take over for the Ahsoka show, like the rumored Thrawn and Ezra show. And i wonder if there be any time jumps and how futher away from ROTJ we will be getting.

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Frankly: I do think that "Canon Thrawn" is better than "EU Thrawn."

Because he does genuinely have weaknesses and can be beaten; not just "die off" or anything and let the heroes win.

11. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    The question isn't really about which Thrawn is better, unfortunately.

12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Zahn would, ironically, tell you it’s the same character and that Heir to the Empire is a part of his journey.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

At the very least they can just have a lot of the conflict take place in the Outer Rim and not really involve the New Republic while most of the fighting is done by Din, Ghost Crew and whoever they manage to scrounge up.

Like I don't get the whole "Ignoring Bloodline" or "retconning bloodline" argument, one can still say that the New Republic Era is one of relative peace.

Because probably it was.

14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The reality is, if Filoni and Favreau want to go full on with the Thrawn campaign and have him lay siege to the New Republic Capital world, they’re going to do it, regardless of what Bloodline may or may not have suggested.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

They might.

But I don't think they will.

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, I think that’s wishful thinking on your part.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well will have to wait and see then won't we.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think new republic will be involved In the Thrawn campaign he question is how mutch they are involved.?

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My guess is via Hera and that fighter pilot whose name escapes me.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a small force, like republic doing black ups.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And a good way to keep the New Republic main force out of the loop of Imperial Return.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah like you see in military movies general doing black ups missions, maybe some senators dosen't want it to leak out that Thrawn is back and to keep it quiet they help the mandalorians and the galaxy's scum.

23. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    We have awhile to go before we really start learning exactly what is being set up for Thrawn. My biggest questions for now revolve around what will be adapted from the Thrawn Trilogy. Those are my favorite Star Wars books ever!

-At this point, we know Mount Tantiss will be involved. But will it be a full clone army, or just one or two special clones.
    -We know Rukh won't. But, his previous involvement does mean the Noghri exist. They could be added, but the story really can't resolve the same way without the inclusion of Leia (I personally think we won't see many OT characters in big roles here, but I could be wrong! We do have younger actors for both Han and Lando....)
    -Palleon is likely.
    -I think we'll get a C'Baoth-esque character. If I was writing this, I would think Snoke would be a great character to fill this role, and unlike C'Baoth, he ultimately succeeds in taking over the Remnant. Then he finds the First Order.
    -If we have a C'Baoth type, will he use the same strategy? Will he show a creepy new level of depravity in full-on mind control?
    -Will there be a Katana Fleet? The hunt for it would work great as a tie-in to other series like Mandalorian or Rangers.
    -Will there be a Kaarde? I could easily see him being adapted and recanonized. As much as Mara Jade is my all-time favorite Star Wars character, I really doubt she'll be brought in, though
    -I could easily see Ahsoka and Ezra playing the Luke and Mara roles (Ahsoka as Luke, Ezra as Mara) where Ezra has turned away from the Force and fell in with smugglers or the like; maybe he even blames her for abandoning them after he saved her in the World Between Worlds
    -Minor things I really want to see: the Battle of Sluis Van and the Siege of Coruscant. The former more than the latter. I REALLY wanted that to be a level in one of the Rogue Squadron games

All absolute speculation, but that's all we've got for now!

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    We don't know Tantiss will be involved post-RotJ. Ezra seems like a real wild card at this stage - as in, we don't know what his role will be. I would assume that there was a plan for him when the Rebels finale was written.

It seems to me like Thrawn might be rebuilding the Seventh Fleet, rather than there being yet another secret fleet hidden away.

The common speculation seems to be that Qi'ra and/or Boba will act as a Karrde type, which makes a lot of sense.

A Siege of Chandrila?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  25. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The whole cloaked asteroid siege would be pretty cost-effective to pull off onscreen.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.