main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 5, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main has the Author Track for Celebration up:

Timothy Zahn
    Fri, Apr 12, 2019
    3:45 PM - 4:45 PM
    Fan Stage

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Loved the little tidbits from Celebration Zahn mentioned. Thrawn getting used a pawn in the game between Krennic and Tarkin...that’s delicious imperial politics.

JediFett10 and Rennzwerg like this.
  3. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Is there a transcript or a recording of the session?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Not yet, at least nothing that I’ve found beyond a few tweets here and there.

The tidbits that I was able to gleam were:
    Thrawn’s being used a pawn by Tarkin and Krennic in their feud over who gets the Death Star.
    Thrawn and Krennic “hate each other’s guts”.
    Krennic has an assistant in the novel who worships him and wears a similar costume/cape. Character’s name is either Ronin or Ronan.
    Vanto is back. Ar’alani is back, with a Chiss warship.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
    WMIRTUTSF, V-2 and Rennzwerg like this.
  5. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Sounds great! Thanks, Syndic, now I am even more impatient! :)

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Spoilers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyndicThrass likes this.
  7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I love that it's connecting to both new canon and old EU

8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, I’m pretty excited to see someone like Zahn take on a more recent character like Krennic.

WMIRTUTSF and PCCViking like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Krennic sure knows how to "win" friends, doesn't he? :p

Rennzwerg likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    “A warrior may retreat”

Sounds like Pellaeon is at it again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Oh how so?

13. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Pelly was...mm....fond of retreat.

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm actually hoping Pelly does make an appearance in Treason after being referenced and having one line in "Family Reunion and Farewell", the series finale of Rebels.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    He might, though I can’t shake the feeling that Zahn’s over Pellaeon at this point and is more pushing Eli Vanto as the main Thrawn sidekick character. I believe the Rebels thing was mostly Filoni and Henry Gilroy really liking the character and wanting to include him.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    V-2 likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sugar me. That’s intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    One of these days (years) I will make it to the US in time for SDCC.
    eBay for me I fear.

Have fun!!!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's so artistically done.

Daneira likes this.
  20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Now that is one striking visual. Not that cover art is truly indicative of the contents, but it’s worth noting Thrawn’s wearing his imperial uniform whilst seemingly in command of Chiss.

More and more I suspect that this book involves the formation of the Empire of the Hand, or at least its canonical equvilant. We know that Thrawn’s still an Imperial after the events of this book (which supposedly only take place over a single week?), and yet the Grysk aren’t a threat during the OT conflict. My guess is that Faro and Vanto take some Imperials and go sort the mess out with Ar'alani and her Chiss. (A potential Vanto/Faro/Ar'alani spin-off? Yes please.)

Or at least, that’s what my bored-at-work brain has prognosticated.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I’ll be curious to see if that happens and if they will in the future oppose or join the First Order.

In fact I wonder anyone want to see Chiss officers in the First Order, like the FO doesn’t necessarly HAVE to be Xehnapobic? Granted they were harassing aliens in Resistance, but remember Kallus was almost a Chiss...So...IDK, i think it be interesting to see Chiss as FO personale

22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Could do, we don’t really know too much about the FO’s exact ideologies. Snoke being Supreme Leader and seemingly not having any direct political rivals might lend some credibility to the idea that they’ve dropped the old Empire’s xenophobia. Plus, they were in the Unknown Regions for a long time so that might have necessitated them working with locals to survive, whether that be Chiss, Vagaari, Grysk or whatever else is out there.

I’m fairly confident that Thrawn himself, even if he never meets up and aligns with Rae Sloane, Hux and Snoke in the post-RotJ period, will probably remain some form of imperial. Even if it’s just the Seventh Fleet as a imperial faction on their own. Filoni’s the one handling the character’s future and I think he’ll try to keep that original Heir to the Empire depiction as close as possible.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean my big hope is that essentially they rip off Wrath of Khan and Thrawn just takes control of a ship and all he wants is revenge on Ezra.

It will be hard to keep to Heir to the Empire since you can’t have a major Imperial offensive, since the FO is the major Empire comback party.

Though I kinda hope that the Sloane/Hux/Eclipse gang join up with other entities within the FO and that the FO is a amalgamation ovarious groups coming together in order to create a totalitarian galaxy state.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2019
  24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think if they did go the Heir to the Empire route, I think it might be a campaign set entirely within the Unknown Regions/Wild Space between Thrawn’s group and whatever faction of heroes Filoni uses for his next show, with the New Republic staying out of it. But it’s hard to say, because we don’t even know if Filoni has any idea what exactly he’s doing with those characters.

But I’ll confess...I wanna see Thrawn and Rae Sloane meet. The two Grand Admirals, I think that’d be really interesting.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It be kinda funny if all the rulers of the Empire post Palpatine had a brief moment as Supreme Leader as the FO before Snoke took over.

So you had Sloane time as Supreme Leader then maybe a Isard, then Thrawn, then Carnot Jax and Snoke and Palpatine at the end if he comes back in 9 ;p

But in all serious that would be cool and Thrawn has a campaign I kinda hope End game is him like looking Mortis because he wants to figure out just what happened at Lothal and all that force stuff.