main
side
curve

Saga - ST Threshold of Choice, one-shot for Chart Hits Challenge.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 3, 2016.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Threshold of Choice
    by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Disclaimer: Borrowing for fun, and a bit of character exploration.
    Characters: H/L.
    Genre: NU-compliant... One-Shot.
    AN: For the Chart Hits challenge. Look [link=http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-completed-as-of-july-23rd.50041378/page-2] here for details [/link]

Song is Beyonce's "Run the World"

Leia watches things seem to come together and then apparently become completely dysfunctional. She is helpless in the maelstrom of chaos created by hardheadedness and the refusal to compromise and cooperate.

This is not my fight anymore. She tries to think but cannot quite let things go.

Her personal happiness ... hasn't she earned the right to choose that and let the insanity play out without her to try and stop it?!

Greer and others tell her that she is just the one to work outside the system and make things better.

She sighs resignedly. Being a person of action more than anything else and driven by compassion, she makes her decision.

Not driven by the need to "control" or the thirst for "glory" but simply to make things better for the ordinary folks on many, many worlds and also to prevent catastrophic loss and oppression - these are the things that fuel her resolve.

When she tells Han about her reflections and final decision, she almost expects to see bitterness in his expression, a heart-tugging disappointment. This possibility is enough to make her reconsider... She looks for the slightest indication of such but instead she sees pride and deep affection.

"You'll never change." He observes ruefully.

"Neither will you, hotshot." She retorts and laughs.

"I love that about you." He confides.

I know, she answers silently, relieved.

+++++

:D :D [face_love]

2. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Great story! And I hope Leia never changes. She's awesome the way she is. Although a Force-wielding juggernaut Leia could be fun. Down plot bunnies. DOWN!

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Leia's determination and fortitude definitely helped her in the decisions that she has made.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Leia is always the diplomat. Nice story

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    It must have been so difficult for Leia to have invested so much, to have sacrificed so much in order to save the galaxy from the destruction of the Empire and then to watch it dissolve into a political mess. I can't blame her for wanting to be done with it, especially since it comes at such a high personal cost for her. It's nice to think that Han has her back, whatever her decision, and his support of her comes from deep love.

This was a great little glimpse into such a critical time in her life. [:D]

6. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I can see Leia feeling this way - the push and pull of her work in government and the desire to have a life for herself. Well done!

7. Findswoman

Findswoman The Tol Fanfic Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This sounds just right for Leia at the brink of TFA. She really and truly is "just the one to work outside the system," but gosh, that's not going to be easy, and this decision to found the Resistance is probably only one of many tough decisions with which she'll be faced. It says a lot for Han that he's mellowed out to the point where he can support her so unconditionally, too. Nice work here. :)

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Leia is faced with many challenges, but at the end of the day, she knows that girls like her - pun perfectly intended - run da world. :) And Han knows that he cannot change her, even if that means that each of them will go in a separate direction. Great response to the challenge! Thanks for your participation!

9. Kahara

Kahara Force Ghost star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Leia really does end up between a rock and a hard place in the new canon just as she did in the EU -- and I think this is a great little snapshot of why she chooses to be part of the Resistance. Yes, she's worked hard and yes she wanted to hand this mess off, but at the end of the day she knows -- and the people she loves also know -- that she's going to end up being the one to do what needs doing. Liked the way that she and Han are shown to know each other so well, and that he loves her because she'll make the more difficult choice when that's what she has to do. Liked how the theme of the challenge song was included, with a twist. "Running the world" isn't what it's cracked up to be sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's always a wasted effort. :)