main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Through a Glass, Darkly (A little postie 21/05/04)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HaiGan, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, I did coddle myself all day yesterday, watching three season's worth of Buffy episodes that my roomie loaned me. I was getting pretty sick of Angel, so I'm glad he's on his own show. Dammit, HG, I'm hooked! In fact, I have to log out right now because the Geeks of Doom have this plot...

Love the storyline! My SCA friends would all consider it quite normal to carry crossbows around in the boot/trunk... ;) Me, I stick with swords. Bad enough I have to get up at 7 on Saturday morning to go to sword practice, I'm not getting up at 7 on Sunday to go to the range! Sith, a girl deserves to sleep in ONE day a week!!! :)

Ooops... Buffy's on... Geeks of Doom... gotta go...

2. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Heh. You know you're getting too involved in this Living History stuff when your choice of car is dependent on whether you can fit the spears inside ;) . I'm still waiting to get pulled over by the cops when we've got the full load of two spears, four shields, a longbow, a broadsword, two axes and a scramaseax on board...

I think the English Civil War mob have it worse, though. They use sixteen foot pikes!

3. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Hey, look, it's a proper fight scene this time! :)

"And this is one of Sunnydale's more popular night spots," Buffy told Barin with a fake travel-guide smile, indicating the graveyard around them. At first glance it seemed empty of anything but the irregular ranks of headstones, the ivy-covered crypts and the three figures casually strolling between the graves. It took keen senses to detect the stirrings at the edges of perception, indistinct shapes that flitted cautiously in the background. It took more-than-human abilities to feel the prickle that warned of supernatural enemies circling in the darkness.

"Scenery, excitement, partygoers, got it all right here," agreed Spike. "'Course, the music's not up to much. All 'grr, aargh'."

Barin's forehead creased slightly. His slight tension was barely visible, but it told the Slayer and the vampire that he knew as well as they that the area was far from deserted. Or perhaps, Buffy debated, he was just anticipating Spike?s probable reaction to being told of the impending wardrobe raid.

"Grr, aargh?" Barin queried.

The pack materialised around them, out of the shadows. There were more than a dozen vampires, faces ugly with ridged foreheads and toothy grins. Spike didn't pause to talk. He growled and staked the nearest one. It cried out and dissipated into dust.

"Grr, aargh," Spike explained in the momentary space he gained from the surprise and speed of his attack. He shrugged. ?These are just fledglings. Don?t make good company.?

"That was a little pre-emptive, was it not?" Barin asked, coolly assessing the ragtag group that surrounded them. "Perhaps it would be possible to talk about this and come to some sort of arrangement?"

The fledglings hesitated ever so slightly at this reaction from a stranger who looked very much like the vampire he stood next to. Boris swaggered forwards through them, his human mask in place. "I see the Slayer, the traitor, and-" he sniffed as Spike growled once more, this time at the label the white-ponytailed vampire had given him. "-and a human! The arrangement is... you all die."

Buffy lifted her stake. "Uh-uh. The point you're missing here is... I'm the Slayer. The arrangement is that you all die."

"I'm already dead, baby," Boris chuckled.

Spike spun his own stake in the air and caught it again. "Oy, that's my line, mate. Now can we get on with the fighting?"

"I fail to see why anyone has to die," Barin commented.

Boris pointed at him and gave Buffy and Spike a look that clearly asked 'is this guy with you?'

Buffy rolled her eyes. "He's new around here," she said.

Boris stepped up right in front of Barin, his forehead blossoming with ridges, fangs dropping down as he leaned into the Jedi's face. "Let me explain. Me vampire. You lunch."

Barin arched an eyebrow, unimpressed. "I sense hostility."

"Ain't you a regular Deanna Troy?" Boris sneered.

Buffy caught Spike's eye. "Think he'll be alright?" she whispered.

Spike glanced at the rest of the vampires, bouncing with gleeful anticipation. "Oh yeah," he said, with a sideways nod. "Let's party!" He spun in a swirl of flying black duster and scything, steel-tipped boot, and a fledgling took a brief flight into the side of a headstone.

Buffy side-stepped an onrushing vampire, staking him almost absent-mindedly in the back. She took a step and brought her foot up beneath another fledgling?s chin, tipping the vaguely female vampire backwards. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Boris tumbling over Barin's back and heard the thump as the vampire hit the ground hard.

"There is still the opportunity to talk about this, you know," the Jedi offered.

"Oh bloody hell," Spike grumbled, catching a female vampire by the throat amid a clatter of beaded necklaces and mirrored skirt, and flinging her backwards onto a protruding stump of tree-branch to hit it in a cloud of tinkling dust. "Oy, Blue-Eyes, they don't want to talk about it, they just want to kill you. Fact of life. Vampires eat humans."

"They have other options,"

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Excellent! Loved the way Barin was trying to give the vampires a chance to negotiate or call off the attack, and how Spike and Buffy worked in tandem to give Barin the basics of vampire disposal! He seems to have caught on quickly enough. A diversion? Uh oh!

5. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

"I fear it will have to be decapitation," Barin said. "Please accept my apologies."

LOL!!! :D

Wonderful post! I could easily picture the action going on before me as I read. Now, will they get there in time?

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It's the ittle things that really catch my eye. I loved the 'grr, aargh' usage, the mention of Deanna Troi and the way that Buffy's smile stunned Spike.

7. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Lol. I loved that post. Barin was a Jedi through it all. :D

So where's Thom? And Obi and Qui?

Great story.

~Swede :p

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I just loved Vampire dusting 101. But would Barin even understand the cross and holy water references? Well I suppose if he spent any time researching in the monestary then he might have a clue.

Now that Spike and Buffy have seen the lightsaber, do they believe he's a jedi?

9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm still waiting to get pulled over by the cops when we've got the full load of two spears, four shields, a longbow, a broadsword, two axes and a scramaseax on board... There are SOOO many stories of SCAdians trying to get through customs... :D Actually, at one of our Universities, a lawyer member taught a class on "live steel," and the legal repercussions of carrying it on your person or in the car. Great discussion on whether it was a "concealed weapon."

And to the fight scene: Brava! I, too, thought it was hysterical, Barin's attempt to negotiate a settlement with the vampires! But as a Jedi, how could he do otherwise? "Wars do not make one great." I was wondering (for the last 2 days!) what effect a lightsaber would have on a vampire; if it would be a "poof" of dust, or if they'd burn up from the light/heat energy.

I am also wondering what he will think of cars & the internal combustion engine! :D :D

Now what about Thom? And the rest of the crew? A demon towering over the rooftops is likely to be just a wee bit conspicuous, even in Sunnydale! [face_laugh]

10. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Somehow I don't think your typical broadsword or daneaxe could count as concealed! I think the law's different over here anyway. I know it gets fun for the gunpowder-using people, though. They end up needing all sorts of licenses- explosives, firearms, storage.

Enough rambling! Yes, Barin has lots of questions, but now is not the time. Demons to slay, vampires to dust, you know how it goes. ;)

11. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    I couldn't see any way to split this comfortably, so it's a long post! Oh, Spike says a few slightly naughty words, if anyone is really really easily offended.

"Pity," Spike commented, glancing back. "I thought that one had potential."

Barin appeared between them, reaching for their hands despite Spike's vigorous objection. "Think of where it is you wish to go," he told them. "Keep it at the front of your mind."

"Oh god," Buffy moaned in dismay, remembering Willow's previous attempt at a teleportation spell and not feeling anxious to experience something similar herself.

"No sodding magic," Spike warned, trying to pull his hand free and surprised to find it still held fast.

Nothing seemed to happen for a few moments anyway. Barin sprinted between Buffy and Spike, his eyes closed and his head tilted to the sky. Then came a stirring, a gathering of breath, a warmth that wrapped about them. Strength surged into their muscles and sped them forwards, their earlier sprint no more than snail's pace. Buildings were a blur beside them, the road a grey wash beneath their flying feet. Revello Drive opened in front of them, one pale building looming into focus and leaping towards them. The fence was past with barely a thought for the jump it required.

A jolt and a stumble and an indrawn breath. Buffy and Spike staggered forwards to a halt, back under their own control, disoriented by the change and the sudden withdrawal of enveloping power. They could hear shouts, growls, howls, cries of dismay, and voices joined in a chant. A vast figure stood over the house, his lean, black, lupine head split in a demonic grin. He bent and vomited, smaller demons surging from his jaws to flutter about his cloven feet. Other demons lay motionless on the grass. Starlight flashed occasionally on flying crossbow bolts from the house.

"Go!" Barin collapsed as his knees gave way from exhaustion, rolling over twice before ending up on his back, painfully gasping for breath.

"Cor!" Spike was liking the Jedi more and more. "Faster than a speeding bloody bullet! ?Old on there, Nibblet, Spiky?s on 'is way!" He was off in a swirl of black leather.

Buffy wasn't waiting or talking. She was already running again, headed straight for the towering Fiend.

"Xander!" It was Anya who screamed as Sebau stooped and batted at something near its feet. A pale shape was tossed across the garden, hitting the tree beneath Buffy's window and landing in an unnaturally bent heap. The former demon yelled a string of guttural words as she leaned out of the window to fire her crossbow. The Fiend's yellow eye regarded her for a moment, flicked the flying bolt out of the air with a single steel-grey claw, and snatched her up in his fist.

Buffy leaped, grabbing the Fiend's dangling bandage-wrappings and swinging herself higher, onto his arm, running along the outstretched limb towards his hand as she pulled a long knife from inside her coat.

"Buffy!" Giles' voice echoed up from the doorway. "Thank God!"

Spike landed in the middle of a gaggle of demons. "Spike's here!" he said cheerfully, posing with arms outstretched. "Looks like you all started without me. Well, never mind. I'll soon catch-" he launched a punch before the demons could react "-up!" The demons closed. Spike flexed his hands and bounced happily. Boris and his minions had got him nicely warmed up, and he was ready for some real action.

Barin blearily opened his eyes to see a ring of demons staring down at him. "Oh joy," he muttered, closing his eyes again. He took a long, shaky breath. Then his feet flashed upwards, crashing into a demonic face as he flipped back upright. His lightsaber appeared in his hand, blade snapping into life. His other hand brushed sweat from his eyes. "You have one chance," he panted. "Surrender now, or die. Please make it quick." He waited a heartbeat. "I will take that as a no." The lightsaber flashed. One after another, the demons dropped in charred and bloody heaps. "Upon consideration, I think I prefer vampires," the Jedi muttered tiredly.

12. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Ah, poor Spike. Does he feel left out?

Great post, as always. This is so well writen. And I like Barin a lot. Waiting for more.

~Swede :p

13. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Bwa, that was exciting! Loved the way Barin used the Force to assist their run, and his two lightsabers to help defeat the demon. Excellent action; I could see it all very clearly in my head.

"Spike, you've been dead for years." I almost died laughing at that!

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A long post??? Awww, we just loath long posts! :p ;) :)

Wonderfully exciting battle!! Loved the Force enhanced run and that Barin linked with Willow and Tara to help Spike and the way Wiilow caught Spike's use of the Slayer's name! :D :D

All in all... a fabbo post!!

15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    WOW!!!!!!! So much good stuff going on in there! Barin deciding that he prefers vampires, because they're not as messy, the demon spitting out mini-demons, Dawn looking out for Spike, Giles pointing out that Spike's been dead for years, Spike & Buffy with lightsabers...

Wow, wow, wow... :eek: <-- Renata agape with awe

16. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Nice fight scene. :) I could see it all very clearly. not many people have the hang of writing them.

This poster now returns to her regularly scheduled sleeping

17. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
  18. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Aaaaaggghhh!!! I thought it was a post when it appeared up the top!!

I'm being greedy... it's so great I can't wait for the next post!

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    And I thought your reply was a post Calam!! Thanks! :p ;)

20. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    GGAAAHHHH!!!!!

Sucked in thinking there was a post!! :p

TWICE!!!! [face_devil]

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Here's another sucker who thought she found a new post! (wait- did I say sucker....I'm not a vampire...really)

22. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Dang, false alarm again. Look what I've started.

23. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    *puff, pant* Sorry, sorry, sorry, Darth Real Life intervened. :p

One more post after this one, and then I need to go away and write some more!

?Ow.?

Thom?s voice echoed back at him in a way usually referred to as ?hollow?. He shifted his head, becoming aware of the coldness and hardness of the surface on which he was lying. The motion stirred up dust, and the young Jedi began to cough, wishing he could stop because he ached all over and coughing was not helping in the slightest. He was still wheezing a little when the fit subsided and he lay still for a while, recovering his strength and trying to feed the Force into his protesting muscles and burning lungs.

Once his limbs stopped feeling as if he?d tried wrestling a Gundark and his brain had stopped revolving in his skull he tried opening his eyes. He could actually see quite a lot, even without moving any further. He was indoors, in a large enclosed space that looked like some sort of storage facility or disused industrial building. Dim daylight filtered through the high-set, grimy windows. Going on the junk, rubble and dust that littered the place it was abandoned, but he wasn?t going to count on that.

Slowly and a little gingerly he managed to get to his feet. Even in the gloom his sharp eyes spotted telltale signs of recent visitors. Footsteps tracked through the dust, a jumble of evidence that would have had his Master all but salivating. He regarded them carefully, taking pains not to scuff any of them as he tried to figure out what it was they were saying. That had been almost how it all started, of course- before he had become a padawan, almost before his Master even entertained the notion that the Council might allow him to try training another Jedi, they had pieced together another story told in footprints.

Thom grinned a little, finding the situation funny because if he didn?t he was going to start bawling his eyes out. It had been less than three years ago, after all, and here he was thinking about it like it was decades ago. He was going on the way the old Masters did about how great things were, way back when, and actually recording clues- one conscientiously established fact at a time- had to be one of the most tedious and boring bits of detective work.

The tracks all looked humanoid. There was a set of training-shoes, someone small and agile with quick, light steps. There was a large set of flat, heel-less soles that walked with heavy, dragging steps, as if their owner were tired or injured. Thom could see two sets of low-heeled boots or shoes. One set was rather larger than the other, with a deliberate, slow, measured tread. Thom knew that kind of step. It was one seen in law enforcement and security officers the Galaxy over. The smaller boots were lighter and more cautious. The final set of prints were from shoes that must have had heels as high as his fist. Thom had never worked out how people could balance on those things, let alone walk in them. His figured maybe they had hidden durasteel ankle supports.

?Lessee. Big Boots walked in this way. Yup, gotta be some kinda plod?? Thom peered at the way the steps paused, then retreated back into a corner. He swooped down and pounced on a black metallic object in the corner, and after some experiment discovered how to switch it on, projecting a beam of light across the factory. ?Some kinda glowstick. Um? handprints and scuff marks. He crouched here. Looks like he talked to High Heels, then wandered off. Maybe High Heels let him off duty??

Training Shoes had moved in cautiously. ?Kinda, anyways. Sheesh, who tries creeping around right in the middle of a room? High Heels got snotty about it?? The young Jedi eyed the distance High Heels had managed to send Training Shoes. ?Note to self. Don?t make High Heels mad unless standing behind my Master.? He followed Training Shoes? path after the trail hit the wall. ?Second note to self. Prob?ly also a bad move to get Training Shoes pissed off. Make nice to anything that knocks holes in the plaster and still keeps moving afterward

24. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I liked the way that Thom was forcing himself to find the humour in the situation because if he didn't, he'd start crying. And I agree with him about wondering how people even balance in high heels, let alone walk. Now ... is he going to find Barin or is he going to run into someone--or something--else first?

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Barin would be so proud of Thom's deductive reasoning...though maybe not to happy with being titled 'Small Boots'!! :D :D I just loved the battle described through Thom's observations of the footprints... so imaginative!!

Wonderful post!! :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.