main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Tidbits from TFA that had unfulfilled potential...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by OPwookiejedi, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    No, I meant that I thought TLJ was setting up KYLO to fill that role. I expected IX to have Supreme Leader Kylo Ren as the big bad, but defeated through redemption rather than death.
    I think you can have Kylo be the clear 'antagonist' for most of the movie, and be redeemed at the very end. Whether he is sympathetic antagonist or not (sympathetic antagonists do work in movies).
    100% agree. I felt the same way about Snoke, the First Order, the Resistance, Kylo Ren, etc.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh right... yes I agree. It was clear to me that Johnson was trying to shape Kylo into the main/chief antagonist.

I agree with the principle of what you state, but I think it would be a real challenge in its realisation. Sympathetic antagonists do work for sure, but usually within fiction, redeemed villains, of fallen heroes/anti-heroes, usually need to show they've been manipulated/misled or corrupted by someone more 'evil' (or have someone more evil to fight), in order for audiences to feel sympathy. Off the top of my head... Vader and the Emperor (obviously), Othello and Iago, Snape and Voldermort, Jamie Lannister and Cersei or even Gollum and Sauron. I can't quite put my finger on pertinent/successful examples of the main antagonist being redeemed in fiction, where another chief villain doesn't exist... Doc Oc in Spiderman2 perhaps (?), but he's kind of mind controlled.

3. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Luke's face at the end of TFA expresses a different emotion than in TLJ. I guess Rian didn't read Episode 7's script.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, this is probably going to read like a list of complaints about TLJ and TROS under exploring or simply not going down the pathways I though I saw, but...

1. The feud between Rey and Kylo. She, with the important aid of her friends and found family, humiliated him in the middle of his emotional breakdown, while his sociopathically vile assault upon her and her friends created massive amounts of characterization fodder for both characters, but especially Rey - she had the best, most relatable reasons in the world to be tempted to the darkside via wrath and revenge... and Johnson dropped that like a hot potato and introduced Reylo instead. Blech.

2. Luke training Rey, and passing the torch on to her as the next hero. Regardless of whatever hemming, hawing, and obfuscation TLJ fans use to justify it, this was crucial and rather clear intention behind the end of TFA, and arguably as close to a narrative necessity as you can get in a multigenerational epic story. The failure to follow up on this deflated Rey permanently, as it totally disconnected her from the main family story - except through Kylo. TROS couldn’t work its way back to it because Fisher had passed, so we were stuck with an orphaned protagonist in a family story she had no real stake in. Blech.

3. Finn’s chemistry with Rey, leading role as a male character, and possible romance with Rey. Most of this if stuff everyone’s heard by now, even from Boyega himself: Finn was a great male lead on a level far above Kylo, Rey benefitted far more from sharing screentime with him than she did with anyone else, and the character was full of potential no one at LFL wanted tapped. But... to be honest, I still think TFA is clearly building more towards a “friends to lover” romance than anything else; all that “friend zone” stuff smells like complete bull-honkey given the sheer amount of emotional intimate ground Abrams covered between the two, the clear attraction he directed both actors to portray, and little touches like having Rey wearing Finn’s jacket on SKB. LFL got scared at Rey being interested in that non-Driver-played character, and trashed the character afterwards. Dammit.

4. Kylo’s madness and motivation. This one goes to both TLJ and TROS, ultimately, but I still blame the former more overall, because it clearly didn’t see any reason to offer Kylo motivation while pretending he was a worthy POV character and romantic lead. The dude was a bluntly irrational walking red flag; in no way should he have been taken seriously as anything but a threat, unless a story was given to justify finding him sympathetic. Abrams gave an anemic, half-hearted under-explanation on TROS as a follow up... and it was a still a better writing move on his part than the entirety of TLJ in its treatment of the character. *Sigh.*

5. The Knights of Ren as a Quirky Miniboss Squad. These guys could have been the Azula, Ty Lee and Mai from Avatar counterparts for Star Wars, or Ringwraiths, or a kind of “Anti-Jedi Order” in a way different from the Sith, and could have provided dangerous high-power villains for Rey, Finn, and the rest of the Resistance, offering a chance to genuinely change up the formula. Instead, Johnson completely ignored them, while Abrams wound up using them exclusively as canon fodder to try and make Ben Solo cool. What a waste.

6. The First Order as a young, hungry, and competent set of villains. Flat out, these guys were decent enough antagonist to be compelling in TFA, and became stooges in TLJ that TROS had to replace with different actors and costume design to try and overcome. Dagumit.

7. The Lightsaber as a Sword In The Stone/Exclaibur/Frostmourne. I don’t give a damn about how Maz got the lightsaber. I care about the power of Rey receiving the lightsaber the way she did in TFA. At minimum, it was a symbolic pronouncement of her worthiness as Luke and Anakin’s heir, which TLJ trashed out of a pretentious desire to subvert expectation. At maximum, it was a possibly really good way of announcing Rey as a Skywalker, and then tackle the heroic (Luke and Leia) and diabolical (Vader and Kylo) sides of the family legacy. The darksaber is getting s something like this in The Mandalorian; here’s hoping they don’t try ditching it entirely like Johnson did.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  5. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Your post only confirms my thinking: TLJ, although a impressive movie in some points, did well worse to this trilogy than TRoS. Johnson had complete creative control over the film, as far as I know, and chose the worst path possible for the story to go.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I have never liked the Anakins saber being Excalibur idea. i mean it almost seems like people are creating some kinda image that doesn't actually exist. there is nothing special about that lightsaber. except maybe having the ghost of many dead children behind it. but because the whole chosen one angle is with anakin people kinda assume the saber should have some meaning... but no its just a saber. it would make more sense to be passed down through heritage and to me this is an annoyance of the sequel trilogy. all 3 movies were written from an in the box thinking perspective. similar to burying the sabers on tatooine. it only makes sense from in the box thinking. but actually doesn't make sense when you really think about it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed. Lucas shows that the attachment to it for Luke was emotional/sentimental (and maybe Obi-Wan too), but it's not 'special'... other than it was used to kill Dooku, lop off Mace's arm and kill Jedi/Jedi younglings. So it seems to me it's been used in as many dark deeds as good. So I've never been convinced by the 'Excalibur' motif, as excalibur was imbued with magic, whereas Anakin's sabre has just seen a bit of action...

wobbits likes this.
  8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It didn’t have anything like Excalibur-style contextualization... until Abrams brought it back again, had it “call out” to Rey, trigger a trippy Force vision for her, then had it symbolically fly to her over Kylo on SKB.

And part of the issue is that bringing it back almost “requires” it to be a “heritage” saber - that Rey be either a Skywalker or Solo, or at least a metaphorical one, in order to receive and use it. I’d argue that dramatic logic was maybe the biggest “textual evidence” people had that Rey should have been a Skywalker exiting TFA; why bring back *that* lightsaber, or any lightsaber from a previous film, if not to tie Rey into the previous character who wielded it, and not just as some random girl who will encounter the old heroes?

Adding to that... you don't actually need the lightsaber to be magical to make the story idea work - the darksaber isn’t actually anymore special than any other lightsaber either, though it is uniquely shaped and colored, but the storyline opportunities it opens up in The Mandalorian excite people, and for good reason.

As a plot tool, without any extra “powers” from the Force, the “Skywalker Saber” is an excellent symbol of their tragedies and triumphs - the fact it’s been used against both the malevolent and the innocent makes it a teaching tool for Rey, whether she’s just Luke’s student, or his daughter or niece. And while the lightsaber could have been left as just a “member-berries” bit of nostalgia and cheap storytelling by Abrams... I feel like any smart writer afterwards would have wanted to make the lighstaber have much greater meaning via a reveal about Rey’s ties to the family. That would add context to her getting the saber to fight Kylo - and act like a much more supercharged and Rey-focused version of Han’s dice (which to be honest, are kind of lame as a storytelling tool because they’re just a little trinket and because they’re tied to Ben Solo, a lame character.)

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Agreed. Luke didn't even blink twice about losing that saber on Bespin. In the first movie it's basically a hook. Obi-wan is trying to get Luke to come along. The saber represents his fallen father. So Luke wants to use that weapon to then kill Vader. Now that he knows Vader is his father, he doesn't need that weapon anymore. He needs to become stronger on the inside instead.

I think if the ST wanted to recapture this theme, Leia should have had Luke's green saber all this time. And Rey doesn't find it randomly in some bar basement, but is given the saber by Leia. Leia gives her the saber, so Rey can hand it to him, as some sort of reminder of his Jedi days. It's like saying "Give this to him, he's needed again".

The ST mucks up the message, because the saber is supposed to want Rey, ala Excalibur, and it takes the entire movie for her to accept her path. She finally uses to to defend herself against Kylo and sees her potential. But then next scene she's handing back to Luke.

10. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I actually didn't notice this at all the first time I watched TFA, but I love that the film doesn't draw very much attention to it. It's a subtle thing you look back at and go "Aww, he probably thought about Rey being cold and gave it to her." And it's so much bigger when you realize Rey is comfortable enough with Finn to accept the jacket, considering it's a far cry from her not wanting him to take her hand when they first met.

There was never a small, touching moment like that for the rest of the trilogy, for me at least (maybe the TLJ hug, but mostly because of John/Daisy's acting and Williams's fantastic score doing the heavy lifting). Those two were the heart and soul of TFA, while the latter two films tried to turn Kylo into that.

11. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    It's just symbolism.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And symbolism, depending on how elegantly and meaningfully you use it, can be either a waste of time or a powerful moment.

If Rey turned out to be Luke’s daughter or niece, and if she had to struggle with the dark side on a more than a cursory level, than the lightsaber “calling” to her and her seizing it from Kylo would be powerful - as many fans interpreted it at the time.

But, as it was eventually revealed, it’s just some “member berries” nostalgia, albeit less harmful than Rian Johnson’s desire to do the same “copy the OT but with a twist” plan as Abrams did, but crappily (“Rey should want to redeem Kylo ‘cause ROTJ!”)

13. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    The symbolism does not have any in universe meaning. I believe it's just a nice reference to old real world tales such as king Arthur. Literally just symbolism. But I totally get your point.

14. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    The two biggest things that bother me is that we never found out in the movies how Maze got Luke’s lightsaber and they never explored the Knights of Ren which could’ve been an awesome thing for the lore of the franchise.

whostheBossk and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well that’s kind of how the ST deals with detail... ‘don’t ask that question... look here’s an x-wing’...
    What Abrams does, and I find it more specific to him, is that he can replicate a formula, but he doesn’t actually understand what goes into it/what’s behind it at all. It’s like when you can copy a piece of code, or Microsoft Excel formula, to complete an action... but you don’t understand what the “$&123COUNTALL”actually means... you just know you can copy and paste it and it kind of works. He’s an extremely unsophisticated filmmaker IMO... and the ST pays the cost for that lack of sophistication.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    • Knights of Ren: Whether they're old students of Luke's, or new students of Kylo's...whatever.
    • Luke's New Jedi Order: Could have been other Jedi out there somewhere for Rey to find.
    • New Republic: Despite being blown up, I thought we'd see a The New Republic Strikes Back kinda episode, where the we their surviving fleets crush/chase the FO.
    • Stormtrooper uprising: Can't just let all those kidnapped kids turned programmed troopers get killed, right? Finn should have led an underground trooper revolt.
    • Jakku: Rey's former 'family' on Jakku didn't really matter much, but there could have been a moment where Jedi Rey goes back to her old boss for a shakedown of information on her parents. And to see how far she's grown. I dunno. I also don't think the parents question was resolved in a fulfilling manner anyway.
    • Snoke: Could have been anything. But Hugh Hefner wearing gold bathrobe 9 foot tall Emperor clone who just dies...eh. Unfulfilled potential.

17. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The Skywalker lightsaber worked perfectly for me. Especially in TFA, where the symbolism of legacy was strongest, as others have said. It’s not a disappointing to me that Rey turned out to be unrelated to the Skywalkers by blood. Legacy’s not just about blood, and her being a relative seems completely unnecessary and not as powerful. When the lightsaber goes to Rey instead of to Kylo in TFA, that was a powerful moment for me, where the Force chose her to carry on the Jedi legacy.

Having said that, I do think the rest of the movies failed to establish that legacy by not having a more traditional apprenticeship for Rey. TLJ does still work for me, but I understand why it doesn’t for others, and so I wish they’d at least have given her and Luke more time. That way the audience would have more easily accepted Luke’s passing of the torch to her. Which he still did in TLJ, just in a less traditional sense.

Going beyond the lightsaber, I do agree and wish the Knights of Ren had been better used in the trilogy. Their archetypal role was so interesting. They were essentially what the Sith Lords originally were in Lucas’s early drafts for ANH: mercenaries taught the ways of the dark side by a fallen Jedi, and who now served a dictator and hunted down any remaining Jedi. I think the biggest issue may have been that a lot of great action and melodrama was relegated to backstory. I appreciate the movies’ focus on a new generation—new characters unrelated by blood to the legacy characters—but I wish they could’ve kept that aspect without sacrificing that dramatic story that happened before TFA.

Perhaps this could have been done if the Jedi had been revealed to only be in hiding by the end of TFA. Subsequent movies could then have focused not only on Rey’s (and Finn’s?) Jedi training but also on Kylo’s journey to dark-side mastery and his development into a more complete villain as he hunted down the Jedi along with his Knights and fought to establish a new Empire.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    TOASTEROVEN and Sarge like this.
  18. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    For me it's Snoke. I have no issue with him being killed in TLJ, but it would have been more impactful if we had got to know him better. Rian wasn't interested in who he was, but the audience certainly was, as this guy suddenly appeared on the scene after 6 movies and was allegedly powerful enough to corrupt Ben Solo. Who was he? Why was he as powerful as Palpatine? Where had he been all this time? This was the big uber-villain who was now leading a resurrected Empire, who was as big a threat as Palpatine and we were given 0 answers until TROS where we found out that he was some sort of dark side experiment which was anti-climactic.

19. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I completely agree. Many people did find Snoke boring, and I would only agree that the movies didn’t do too much with him, though TFA certainly did more than enough. But like you said, his very presence and effect on the story make him interesting.

He was a giant, powerful, massively scarred Force user who seemingly appeared out of nowhere to become the new villain. Wanting him to have a bigger role wasn’t exactly like wanting a background character to have a full biography. He was literally created as a central part of the story!

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There are some ways Snoke could have been made more interesting. After TFA, I thought he could have been a con all along. Like he doesn't really have force powers, he's a Wizard of Oz baddie, a don't look behind the curtain, all along type. Or is in a weakened state and requires Ben to become powerful again. The original Snoke concepts said they were going for something vampiric, so sucking the force from Ben could have been cool. I mean, that's what they ultimately went with but just shifted things to Palpatine-All-Along

Snoke had just enough mystery to warrant further explanation in the next episode. That he end up boring, is pretty much TLj's fault.

21. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    If Abrams or whoever was really dead set on that lightsaber being in the ST, they should have had it be in Kylo's possession along with Vader's helmet. All you need is an understanding that the villain is obsessed with Vader and thus you have a completely plausible reason for the lightsaber to be around. Just have Rey take it after she breaks free from her restraints on Starkiller Base (she never uses it before that anyway) and then have the story carry on from there.

Why they felt the need to have two random artifacts (the lightsaber and helmet) floating around the story with two unrelated backstories and then feeling the need to flesh out neither is beyond me.

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Everything to do with Maz, probably should have just been Leia.

It could have made some sense if Leia had that saber. And gave it to Rey to coax Luke out of retirement.
    It could have made some sense if Leia was the one who spotted Rey's force potential and gives her the pep talk. Which would have built up the connection to the Skywalkers.
    It could have made some sense for Han to to go Leia first, when all this stuff starts to align and hit the fan.

Instead of making a pit stop at some bar, we could have spent more time with the Leia, the Resistance, or even the NR. And if Leia has the saber, that might be motivation for Kylo to be hunting her, and attacking the Resistance, and why she's desperate to give it to Luke.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  23. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I always thought that if JJ and Kasdan were adamant about Han not going directly to Leia, then Maz should have been Lando instead.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    This trilogy needed a new Yoda. so Maz was introduced.

25. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Luke Skywalker the Planet. So stationary you can chart his galactic position on a map. ;)

(tbh TLJ kind of did that with Angsty Sulking Hermit Luke but I'm still vastly amused by the idea of "a map to Luke Skywalker")

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021