main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Wonderland, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderland

Wonderland Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    Am I the only one happy about this? My favorite movie director is doing a movie version of my favorite book (even though AIW has been done more than once).
    We already know the casting of Alice, the Tweedle twins, and possibly the Mad Hatter. Who do you think should play the other characters? Here's who I think (well, the people I picture playing):

White Rabbit:personally, Anthony Daniels should play him. It would be awesome! (pictures C-3PO wearing a pair of fake bunny ears and carrying a large pocketwatch).
    Queen of Hearts: Helena Bonham-Carter (no surprise if she does)
    Cheshire Cat:Either Danny Elfman or Tim Curry (lots of women will find that attractive)
    Caterpillar:Alan Rickman!!!!!
    Dormouse:Timothy Spall
    Duchess:Cathrine O'Hara (I would love to see her in another Tim Burton film).
    Bill (the lizard who goes down the White Rabbit's chimney):Eric Idle.

Sorry, couldn't think of anybody for the March Hare and such.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wow.
    What can I say...
    I can't imagine a movie I'd be less interested in seeing. Except for that Quarentine film with the blair-witch motion-sickness cam and the really moronic-looking story.

Let's see: Slightly vampish Alice finds a heroine needle with just a little left in it, and goes on the drug trip from hell. Her jungian protoforms and archetypes emerge to help her deal with the HIV ripping apart her system.
    Can't you just see it?
    Maybe if they gave it a different title...
    How about "Tim Burton tortures another british children's novel"? No?

Sorry. After TB's Chocolate Factory and the last version of saw of AiW (horrible video transfer of some BBC production), I don't care if I never see another. If I get nostalgic, I'll pick of a copy of the book.

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I may not be his biggest fan either but I don't recall Burton ever exploring Drugs or HIV in his films. :p

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I'm actually excited about this. Burton is capable of fine work, and the Alice "duology" (Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass) seems perfect for his sensibilities. Fantasy and absurdity are his bread and butter; where he usually falters are action sequences, of which Alice contains relatively few. As brilliant as the Disney animated classic is, it excises a large number of Alice's encounters, and focuses on song and visual spectacle as opposed to a faithful rendition of the text. I don't expect Burton to be any more faithful necessarily -- with its wordplay and lack of plot, it could be argued that the Alice books are unfilmable -- but we may see the Pig and Pepper and Tart-Stealing chapters come to life, and, if Burton decides to tackle Looking Glass, the chess elements that are so intrinsic to that work. I think this is an excellent opportunity for Burton to flex his imagination muscle, which is considerable in size.

Meanwhile, I cannot imagine where Koohii is deriving his feeling that drugs, AIDS and Jungian archetypes will somehow play a part in this film. Burton has never dealt with any of those topics.

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I've disliked Burton ever since "Sleepy Hollow".

I mean, that was suppose to be spooky, he should've knocked it out of the park...instead, it became a bizarre cavalcade of his usual troop of weirdos doing things that had nothing to do with the original story.

I would expect much the same of Alice.

6. skabatula

skabatula Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2008
    My parents have a copy of the 1972 version called Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (had to check wikipedia to see which version it was).

It still scares me...I just watched a clip on YouTube...gave me the chills.

7. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, it's a Tim Burton film, so Johnny Depp will be in it and Danny Elfman willm do the music. That's always a given when Burton is involved.

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Alice in Wonderland IS freaky, for years and years I mistakenly thought of it as a children's story until I found out that Carroll was high as a kite when he wrote it.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    ^ ^ ^ That is not a known or in any way a proven assumption. Carroll (ne Dodson), like many of his contemporaries, may have taken a legal and socially acceptable opium derivative called laudanam which, in large doses, could produce a dreamlike, mild hallucinatory state. But he also had a condition, associated with migraine headaches and epileptic seizures, which caused an optical size-differentiation problem, and some other visual distortions similar to those described in the Alice stories. He was also a clever wordsmith who enjoyed playing with language and, oh yes, the Alice stories were written primarily for children.

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    It's the perfect project for Burton. I hated "Sweeney Todd" and hope he never does a dark musical again. But Alice in Wonderland is weird enough for him to bite his teeth into.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Alice in Wonderland is the ultimate Druggie story, to the point where you have that obnoxious 70s song that is used by unimaginative directors whenever they want to show that someone is tripping out on drugs ("One pill makes you big, and one pill makes you small... Go ask Alice"). Another popular deconstructionist idea is that Alice was experimenting with drugs, which is why the stories don't make much sense. The same people like to cue up "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching Wizard of Oz. While the rest of my rant was outside Burton's usual tactics and range, it is entirely within the scope of the modern drug world.
    If Burton is willing to turn Icabod Crane from a school teacher into a forensic investigator and Willie Wonka into a Michael Jackson-style pervert, who knows what travesty he'd be willing to commit now.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I could see Alan Rickman being a really good Cheshire Cat, actually.

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Apparently Anne Hathaway and Helen Bonham Carter have joined the cast.

14. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Great casting so far. I'm really looking forward to this film. [face_dancing]

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    A series of minor corrections: "Go Ask Alice" was composed in the 60s by rock group Jefferson Airplane, and on a personal note is one of my favorite songs. However, any notion that the Alice author (Lewis Carroll, born Charles Dodgson) was experimenting with hallucinogenic drugs is purely a 20th-century invention. Dodgson experienced seizures and suffered from intense migraines, one of the effects of which is spatial and size distortion. He was also fascinated with language and had a penchant for absurdity, which playfulness shows up not only in Alice but many other works of his as well. This "druggie" idea derives from contemporary minds applying modern thought to an earlier period, and is not substantiated in any of Dodgson's numerous letters or writings.

Since Burton has never shown a penchant for addressing drug-related subject matter, there is no logical reason to conclude he'll do so with Alice.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sorry, not my vintage of song. ;)

I agree with you about the modernist reinterpretation/deconstruction. Some of the "it makes perfect sense if these characters are drug addicts/deviants/alternate lifestyle" annoy me.

Again, however, Tim Burton is prone to making major changes to character types and backgrounds to suit himself. Remember, he changed a nerdy school teacher to an inquisitor/special investigator/detective.

I'll stop now, and leave this thread to people more interested in the movie.

17. EvilFishy

EvilFishy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2008
    I am intrigued, at least. I think I'll go from there once I see some trailers. Anyway, Tim Burton has had his hit and misses, but also some fairly good movies. He does have a way of changing characters to fit his own interest. However, this could be a pretty good match up with him. After all, it's already a rather strange and creepy story.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wait. Hold it right there. You mean that Tim Burton is putting Helena Bonham Carter into his movie? Shocking! Unprecedented!

I'm getting sick of it. Saw Charlie, saw Sweeny, saw Corpse Bride. Liked the former two. I also like Nightmare Before Christmas. But how often is Tim Burton going to do creepy stories with weird, messed up characters and put his wife in them? Too much. I think I'll be skipping this one.

Edit: By the way, Johnny Depp is the Mad Hatter. I'm sick of him in all of Burton's movies as well. And just in general. Is seems like every time there's a weir character, he's played by Depp. I know he's done some other stuff (Finding Neverland, Secret Window) and other non-Burton stuff (Pirates) but I'm still really sick of him.

19. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002

Totally agree! ^^^ So predictable and annoying. I'll put money on Danny Elfman doing the music, too.

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It might be predictable casting, but Bonham-Carter is a damn fine actress, and I can't think of a single reason to despise Depp. Anyway, both roles are small. Alice is very much an ensemble piece, with the heroine meeting madness and absurdity in a variety of forms. Why not give the film a chance to prove itself, and take it on its own merits, rather than dismissing it because the director likes casting the same actors in most of his films?

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing Burton's visual take on Alice. Even the cheery Disney cartoon got rather hella-freaky at times, can't wait to see where it goes withBurton's style.

And "White Rabbit" by JA is a great song. I'm usually very selective about old rock like that, but I love the creepiness of that track. It also never struck me as a song overused in movies (in fact, that was one of the things that made it appealing- an "oldie" that hasn't been played to freaking death).

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Because after a while, it starts to seem like the same thing. I adore Sweeny Todd, bought the movie and the soundtrack, but I saw it in theaters and was like "This is amazing, but after this, it's time for a break." It just gets stale. Even Burton's weirdness gets old. It stops being new and different. Even though it differs from movie to movie, it becomes boring.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm not exactly the world's biggest Tim Burton fan. I love Ed Wood and the original Batman, and, if I'm in the mood for a sappy modern-day fairy tale, Edward Scissorhands. But Big Fish is vastly overrated, Mars Attacks! is only mildly amusing, and POTA is probably the worst big-budget film ever made in the history of cinema. That said...

This is Alice! A work of superb literary genius! An absurdist romp into the depths of abstract mythopoeia and surrealist fun with language! The children's classic to end all children's classics! Living chess boards! Mad denizens of the deep dark woods! Idiotic queens issuing executive orders! Talking animals! Nevermind talking animals -- animals wearing waistcoats!! Hookah-smoking caterpillars! The Lobster Quadrille! Stolen Tarts! A pool of tears! The Jabberwocky! A Lion and a Unicorn! I ask you -- how can you miss such fantastical frivolity?

Simply because you, er, loved the director's last movie but are tired of his "weirdness" and his repetitive casting efforts? :confused: Pardon me, but the absurdity of that line of reasoning belongs squarely in Wonderland. ;)

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I did love the last one. Sweeny Todd is brilliant. But after it I couldn't watch Depp or Bonham Carter in another movie without sighing.

Plus, I never really liked the Disney Alice, and I've never read the book, so I'm not drawn to it.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, I highly recommend the two Alice books: in Wonderland and through the Looking Glass. It'll take you perhaps an afternoon and an evening to read them both. They're ridiculously funny, wickedly witty and eye-poppingly imaginative. Parts are dated and quaint, but overall they stand the test of time. Moreover, if you look closely you can discern a degree of influence on nearly every children's tale to follow through the 20th century, from the Oz books of 100 years ago to Miyazaki's films today.

If you're not interested in reading Alice or seeing the upcoming Burton film, that of course is your choice. I for one am hoping this thread will pick up more traffic from posters who actually want to see the film, or who love the books, rather than people dismissing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.