main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Wonderland, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderland

Wonderland Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    Christopher Lee has joined the cast. Maybe he'll play either of the following characters:

*Caterpillar
    *Gryphon
    *White Knight

Let's see, we already know who plays Alice, The Mad Hatter, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, The white queen, and the red queen. Who will play everyone else?

Duchess:Tracy Ullman, Cathrine O'Hara (would love to see her in another Burton)

God forbid that they put Borat in AIW (yes he was good in Sweeney Todd, but I can't picture him in this classic story).

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm seeing Lee as the White Knight, since that role is small but iconic... perfect for the elderly actor.

At this point I would plead with the filmmakers to follow Wonderland's advice, above, and avoid casting Sasha Borat-Cohen at all costs!! [face_sick]

3. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
  4. Wonderland

Wonderland Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    OMG! Alan Rickman is the caterpillar! I knew it!!! Here's who we have now:

Alice: Mia Wasikowska
    Mad Hatter: Johnny Depp (of course)
    Tweedledee/Tweedledum: Matt Lucas
    Red Queen:Helena Bonham-Carter
    White Queen:Anne Hathaway
    Knave of Hearts:Crispin Grover
    Caterpillar:Alan Rickman

Also Martin Sheen and Christopher Lee is going to be in it, but not sure which characters they're going to be (I think Martin Sheen should play the March Hare).

5. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Can't find anything about Alan Rickman's participation in the film though.

6. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    For some reason, I knew danny Elfman would be involved. no suprise there.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock 'n bump

8. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    All the praise for Burton is well deserved, he is a visionary. We all must keep in mind that everyone eventually moves past there prime. I am of the mind that Burton is well past his. Easily noticed in his last few features. The complaints about consistancy in casting is an example of this, as well as musical choice, not forging any new ground, simply resting on the known. I think this movie has tons of potential, and the casting so far is fine to me.

My concern is that this story is alot stranger than folks give it credit for, and I don't think its a good foundation for an over the hill director, who is too often driven to top his own mystique of being the master of bizarre. Burton will not have the ability to underplay it when it counts here, and that will be the downfall.

Casting your wife all the time is only a bad move when shes not HBC!!

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Despite the complete awfulness of Sweeney Todd causing me to swear off all future films directed by Tim Burton, I'm actually kind of intrigued by this. We'll see how the trailer makes me feel.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    O rly? [face_thinking]

I haven't seen Sweeney Todd for exactly this reason --I swore off his films after Willy Wonka. But then I heard all kinds of good things about Todd. That it was Burton's best in years. It scored some Oscar noms. I was planning on watching it. Eventually.

Now, ThrawnRocks, you seem to be saying Todd stinks up the screen. Hmmm. I might give the musical murdershow a pass after all.

11. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    Todd wasn't bad, just not great...the supporting characters were better than the main, and it wasn't as good as the Hearn/Lansbury play, but it was okay. I am however getting kinda tired of the Burton/Depp mix, I think they need to branch out some.

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, I really didn't like Sweeney Todd. I found the story predictable and surprisingly cliché for something that looks rather unique from the surface, I hated almost all the songs, mostly because they emphasized lyrics over melody, and I felt that Burton really failed to use good actors like Depp or Rickman well, making their presence just feel like a waste of talent.

However, I do recognize that I am in the extreme minority in disliking the film. I only know one other person who didn't like it. Pretty much everyone else I know who saw it loved it, and even the non-musical types claim to know all the lyrics. It's a rather strange phenomenon in fact.

13. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    First, I have no problem with Tim Burton. This is the same guy that gave us Beetlejuice, Big Fish, and the Michael Keaton Batman. He has had some bad ones (Planet of the Apes comes to mind) but he always has an interesting take and its usually well worth the price of admission.

Bonham-Carter might be his wife but she really is a talented actress.
    The same goes for Depp...who really carries these films and would be good in a secondary character like the Hatter.

I'm a fan of the books, but this re-interpretation will be good.

14. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Burton has two wives? :p

15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    pretty funny.
    the statement stands.

16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Here's a new pic from EW's Comi-Con '09 Sneak Peeks.

[image=http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090715/Alice-Wonderland-new_l.jpg]

Can't wait to see this movie! :D

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    What is with that awful dress? Its low bustline and spaghetti straps positively scream "late 20th century" and represent no part of Victorian England. Feh.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    That image doesn't work for me.

19. bebr

bebr Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2009
    I think she is wearing that dress because the dress fits into the background.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got the 5x8 double sided banners for this last week at my theater. They are insane looking. It looks like it will be pretty crazy.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    She is also wearing it because it reveals cleavage. Is this what we want in an Alice movie?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What cleavage? It's higher in the middle and halfway to her neck. It even looks like her shoulders would be covered if she hadn't undone those straps hanging down the sides.

There are Disney princesses that show more cleavage than Alice in that pic.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Okay, you're right. There's no cleavage. Thanks for yanking me back down to earth. What there is is a considerable amount of shoulder and upper pectoral area. In short, it is not a little girl's dress. Sure, if "she" hadn't pulled the shoulders down it wouldn't be as revealing, but the reality is "she" (or rather the costumer/director/studio/whoever) did pull it down, and it is more revealing than what we would expect for a Victorian-era teenaged girl.

Look, I am not a prude. I'm all for revealing dresses in as many movies as we can get them into. But Alice is a child -- even at 17 she is underage in most states in the US -- and should not be depicted in an alluring/sexual way, IMO. It rather deviates from the material, you know what I mean?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even if it's historically inaccurate, I don't see revealing shoulder areas as portraying her in an alluring/sexual manner. Also, we don't know the context of the straps being let down- her dress may have simply been torn/damaged during some kind of encounter with the environment/etc.

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Bring on sexy Alice.

Also does it really matter if its accurate to historical Victorian times? I mean they didn't have talking rabbits or the Queen of Hearts either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.