main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Time Count Down of Star Wars Moments

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MovieDoctor, Dec 6, 2019.

1. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Hello, I have lurked here a few times. About time I finally joined. In case anyone missed Time's latest Star Wars Edition 40 greatest star wars moments, here it is. According to the magazine, they compiled this list from their Time team and a "sundry of star wars fans." They don't explain what quantity a sundry is. All these may or may not be on my personal list, but here it is......

TIME MAGAZINE'S 40 GREATEST STAR WARS MOMENTS
    From Yoda's Wisdom to Vader's Rage
    Source:Time Special Edition Star Wars Magazine

40: The trash compactor
    39: Yoda declares the start of the Clone Wars
    38: Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar
    37: Republican liberty dies
    36: "Use the Force, Luke"
    35: Binary sunset
    34: "Chewie, we're home"
    33: Yoda visits an exiled Luke
    32: Yoda teaches the younglings
    31: The speeder bike chase

30: Vader Force-chokes Motti
    29: Yoda battles Count Dooku
    28: Ewoks celebrate Rebel victory
    27: Kylo Ren kills Han
    26: Luke's Tauntaun
    25: Yoda explains anger
    24: The Mos Eisley Cantina
    23: Yoda fights Darth Sidious
    22: Leia strangles Jabba
    21: Solo solves the Kessel Run problem
    20: Kylo Ren throws a fit

19: Vader's first breath
    18: "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope"
    17: The Imperial March
    16: BB-8's thumbs-up
    15: Han flies in to save the day
    14: The Battle of Hoth
    13: Rey summons Luke's lightsaber with the Force
    12: Vader rescues Luke from the Emperor
    11: Admiral Ackbar yells, "It's a trap!"

10: Vader unmasked
    9: Luke and Vader's first lightsaber duel
    8: Obi-Wan mind-tricks the Stormtroopers
    7: "May the Force be with you" (every episode)
    6: Yoda schools Luke in the ways of the Force
    5: The opening crawl (every episode)
    4: Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing
    3: Vader's ruthless massacre (Rogue One)
    2: Leia and Han saying "I love you," "I know"
    1: Darth Vader reveals Luke's lineage

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    welcome to the forums,

really like the username :D one of my favourites I've seen.

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Greetings! I had not seen that, thanks for sharing. :) Please let me know if you’d like some help navigating the boards.

MovieDoctor likes this.
  4. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks all for the welcome and offer of help! I will transcribe Time's explanation why they picked these moments. Give me some time to chip away at it........I'll start with a few here.....

[​IMG]
    40: The trash compactor

TIME: "A New Hope. This is the first time Leia, Luke, Han and Chewie work together. When they start exchanging barbs, you know they have something special. It's the perfect mix of terror and humor, at which Star Wars excels. (The scene has one unanswered question: If the trash compactor compacts every few hours, how does the trash monster not get crushed?)"

[​IMG]

39: Yoda declares the start of the Clone Wars

TIME: "Attack of the Clones. Sensing the Jedi victory on Geonosis was really no victory at all. Yoda is quick to shut down Obi-Wan's gratitude for the arrival of the clones. "The shroud of the dark side has fallen, begun the Clone War has, " he muses as the scene pans to Chancellor Palpatine overlooking the massing of an army to the ominous tune of "The Imperial March." The scene effectively sets the stage for the furor to come."

[​IMG]

38: Obi-Wan vs. Anakin on Mustafar

TIME: "Revenge of the Sith. A key moment fans slogged through three prequels for: Anakin breaking bad. And boy, does Lucas milk it. This may be the longest Star Wars fight scene ever, chock-full of risible dialogue. Most memorable, though, is Anakin's limbless body rolling around on the ground ... before catching fire."

[​IMG]

37: Republican liberty dies

TIME: "Revenge of the Sith. Lucas' preoccupation with intergalactic governance is at times distracting and, as commentary on the George W. Bush era, a little on the nose. But Padme's "So this is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause" is one of the few truly great lines from the prequel trilogy."

I'll transcribe more shortly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure how the Vader massacre scene in R1 is top 3 among all SW moments, but to each, their own.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  6. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    I can't say it wouldn't be on my list at all, but I don't know if I would have it in the top 3 on my list. Time does make a good point about this moment, so I will transcribe it now......

[​IMG]

3. Vader's ruthless massacre

TIME: "Rogue One. The first true demonstration of the extent of Vader's power doesn't come until the closing sequence of the most recent Star Wars film. As a group of Rebel soldiers attempt to evade pursuing Imperial forces, Vader finds his way on board their ship. The merciless slaughter that ensues gives credence to his standing as the most feared monster in the galaxy."

Sarge and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welome aboard the JCF @MovieDoctor! If you have any questions about the JCF, please ask.

Normally the WNU is not the correct forum for a discussion like this; the Star Wars Saga forum would normally be the correct forum.

However,if we can keep this to a welcome / introduction thread, my inclination is to keep this thread here.

@Adalia-Durron @anakinfansince1983 @cubman987

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  8. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Thank you, Bazinga, I was planning to eventually transcribe all of Time's reasons why they picked these SW moments, so I'm fine with you moving this thread to the appropriate forum.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I am going to keep it over for a little while longer here.

Adalia-Durron and MovieDoctor like this.
  10. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    [​IMG]

36: "Use the Force, Luke"

TIME: "A New Hope. Luke Skywalker is flying in the Death Star's trenches when he gets a call from beyond: Obi-Wan tells him to turn off his targeting computer. Luke obliges, using the Force to guide his fighter's torpedoes, which sets off a chain reaction, destroying the Empire's planet-killer. This wins the day, but it also shows that the Force is powerful far beyond mere parlor trickery."

[​IMG]

35: Binary sunset

TIME: "A New Hope. Luke is pretty much just like any another teen -- impatient, whiny and desperate to leave home. What sets him apart is illustrated in a powerful moment: Luke is taking in the Tatooine sunset, except there are two suns. Kansas? Not anymore."

[​IMG]

34: "Chewie, we're home"

TIME: "The Force Awakens. Star Wars fans have had to put up with many a disappointment over the years, from the lackluster prequels to dubious spinoffs. Needless to say, there was a lot of anxiety about the series's return to the big screen with The Force Awakens. When Han Solo and Chewbacca find their way back to the Millennium Falcon after years apart, uttering those words, Han might as well have been speaking for the entire audience."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  11. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome to the boards!

Do you plan to count down like this here? Might be time for a shift in the Force....... ;)

Dandelo likes this.
  12. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Thank you Adalia. I'm not sure what you mean if I plan to count down. I'm transcribing Time's reasons for selecting the above SW moments.

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, but not really welcome thread stuff. Here you're supposed to tell us about yourself and get to know us. This is more Star Wars Saga stuff. Its not telling us much about you! ;) Here is where you meet new people, they tell you about themselves and you tell us a bit about you. You dont have to get deep, it's not about that. When did you become a SW fan? How long is it now? What is your favorite part of it? How has it affected your life? What do you like to do in SW (Art, Fanfic, RPG, Legends etc.) ? This kind of stuff is usually here, ;)

Addie Edit: Moving thread to Saga so they can read the 40 reasons and moments.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    For the reasons discussed elsewhere @MovieDoctor I am locking this thread. Find the correct forum for this.

@Adalia-Durron

Addie addition: Continue your Countdown here mate. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2019
  15. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Thank you for moving it to the appropriate thread. My apologies for combining topics, poor planning on my part.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, there are some good choices for GOAT in that list, and some... less good choices. The top 10 are all solid, even if I'd number them differently.

MovieDoctor and Adalia-Durron like this.
  17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    All good mate, live and learn. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask, happy to guide and help you.

NOW ON WITH YOUR COUNT DOWN!!! ;)

MovieDoctor likes this.
  18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Great topic. My choices would be vastly different.

No Story of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
    No Duel Of The Fates?
    No Battle Of Geonosis?
    No Mace Windu VS Darth Sidious & Anakin's turn?

Regardless of whether someone likes or dislikes the prequels movies, these 4 scenes (at least) are classic and majectic in my opinion.

PS. I have absolutely zero problems with Vader's scene in Rogue One being included and at top 3 for that matter. It's probably somewhere there for me too.

MovieDoctor likes this.
  19. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    [​IMG]

33: Yoda visits an exiled Luke

TIME: "The Last Jedi. After Rey leaves Ahch-To, a frustrated Luke decides to burn down the first Jedi temple along with the ancient texts inside of it. It's then that Yoda shows up to remind his former apprentice of the ways of the Force. Yoda sends a bolt of lightning crashing into the Jedi temple to set it on fire on his own. Then, in typical Yoda-speak, he reminds Luke whay a true understanding of the Force can't be gleaned from a bunch of old books."

[​IMG]

32: Yoda teaches the younglings

TIME: "Attack of the Clones. Before the prequels, we only got to see how Yoda taught the ways of the Force to the adult Luke. Here we get a fun look at what it's like to grow up in training to become a Jedi warrior. Turns out it's a lot like preschool, but with lightsabers."

[​IMG]

31: The speeder bike chase

TIME: "Return of the Jedi. Packed with seat-gripping first-person shots, Luke and Leia's 310-mph pursuit of Imperial Scout troopers through the dense forest of Endor is one of the saga's most thrilling sequences."

[​IMG]

30: Vader Force-chokes Motti

TIME: "A New Hope. Admiral Motti attempts to give Vader a dressing-down over his belief in the power of the Force. Big misstep. Motti realizes it before he can even finish his tirade as Vader suffocates him from several feet away. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Vader forebodingly croons as the Imperials cower."

20. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    By my count..

TPM: 1
    AOTC: 3
    ROTS: 4
    S: 1
    R1: 1
    ANH: 8
    TESB: 8
    ROTJ: 6
    TFA: 5
    TLJ: 1
    All films: 2

Prequels are under represented (especially TPM), but not surprising since there are jabs at them in a few of the scene comments above. Maul igniting his double bladed lightsaber should be there for TPM, probably the pod race too.

I can't say any of their choices are "bad", other than maybe "It's a trap!" since that's more of a meme than an actual great star wars moment.

21. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Sorry I haven't posted them faster, been trying to knock out a few before heading to work or after work. Also, I should add..... these images are not the images the magazine used. In fact many on the list didn't even have an image associated with it.

[​IMG]

29: Yoda battles Count Dooku

TIME: "Attack of the Clones. Epidsode II gives fans little to love. But it is the first movie in which Yoda is digitally animated. The CGI allows for this ridiculously fun (and flexy) lightsaber battle between the Jedi Master and Count Dooku."

[​IMG]

28: Ewoks celebrate Rebel victory

TIME: "Return of the Jedi. Although the Ewoks remain polarizing creatures among Star Wars fans, it's hard to deny that seeing the teddy-bear-esque warriors dance around to the "Yub Nub" song in joyful celebration of the defeat of the Empire is amazingly adorable. Because it clearly is amazingly adorable.

[​IMG]

27: Kylo Ren kills Han

TIME: "The Force Awakens. The only person who saw this twist coming was Harrison Ford, who apparently wanted Han killed off way back in the original trilogy. It took major guts for director J.J. Abrams to ax one of the series' most iconic characters. But it gave an often-playful movie emotional heft."

[​IMG]

26: Luke's Tauntaun

TIME: "The Empire Strikes Back. Han, a scrappy pirate, turns a corner when he risks his life to save Luke from exposure on the ice world Hoth. Han keeps Luke warm by slicing open his Tauntaun and delivers this classic: "I thought they smelled bad on the outside."

(MovieDoctor: Luke warm? Was that a pun?)

[​IMG]

25: Yoda explains anger

TIME: "The Phantom Menace. One of the best pieces of Yoda wisdom actually comes in the much-maligned Phantom Menace when he explains Anakin's imminent downfall -- and the theme of the prequels: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." "

[​IMG]

24: The Mos Eisley Cantina

TIME: "A New Hope. One of the biggest faults of the Star Wars saga arguably is that it focuses so much on its human (and human-like) characters even while building a rich universe of bizarre aliens. Except, that is, for A New Hope's classic cantina scene, which takes viewers on a whirlwind tour of Star Wars extraterrestrials. And that song is just so catchy!"

Sarge and Adalia-Durron like this.
  22. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It's really sad and pathetic that almost every prequel entry you've listed so far has had a jab at the movies inserted into the description by TIME.

Deliveranze and MovieDoctor like this.
  23. MovieDoctor

MovieDoctor Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2019
    Yea I noticed that also. I'm transcribing it word for word. No editorial added on my part.

I'll try to add some more in the morning.