main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Gap/Jump Between VIII and IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 14, 2017.

?

How big of a time gap will there be between VIII and IX?

1. Straight after

1.7%
  2. 1 week after

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 month after

1.1%
  4. Several months

10.7%
  5. 1 year

11.9%
  6. 2 years

19.8%
  7. 3 or more years

54.8%
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    How large do you think the time gap will be between VIII and IX? I'm betting at least a year.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I went with three years. I think the Resistance needs some time to regroup and build up their forces again.

3. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I went with two years, I think the time jump is necessary but I want to see these characterstdevelop and inthe case of Kylo and Rey, their training on screen, if you jump any further thant that then you risk the fact that they will already be fully trained, this would make for a superb final fight but what are our stakes in it as we wouldn't have seen how they developed and trained to become this good.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I picked 3 or more. Personally I think much more.
    The Resistance has to rebuild.
    Rey starts her Jedi Academy teaching stable hands.
    Leia sadly dies offscreen.
    Kylo finds an Apprentice.

Lots will happen in between.

11-4D and dekaneas like this.
  5. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Easily 3 or more. The Resistance were on life support after the end of this film.

dekaneas likes this.
  6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think he'll get an apprentice. He's not a Sith and probably just wants all that power to himself

7. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    IMO the only way you can write Leia out of IX is by setting it 5 to 10 years later. This gives you time to expand the First Order and their hold on the galaxy, have Rey on her journey to learn more about the Force and build a new Lightsaber, and also rebuild the new Rebellion.

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I think this is something we should see on screen. All these different planets coming together to fight. Could be really cool.

Luke'sSeveredHand and B3 like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Should have seen this in TLJ.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  10. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    3 or more years. There needs to be some sort of scale to the Resistance/First Order conflict and having it be resolved in a matter of weeks would be weird. It should be the same amount of time that passed between ANH and ESB.

11. MovieMaster

MovieMaster Jedi Knight

May 12, 2013
  12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Thinking 3 or more. There's no immediate cliffhanger with TLJ, both sides need time to rebuild and, as others have said, it gives them time to write Leia out. I could see it being 2 (real time) but 3+ makes more sense and gives the conflict greater length (in universe) since very little times really passes in TFA & TLJ.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    3 or more years. Rey has some reading to do.

14. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think 3 years or more. They need the time to explain some of these plot holes and gives JJ more creative flexibility.

15. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    More than 20 years; enough for a new generation of Padawans to have grown and be ready to become Jedi Knights by defeating the Knights of Ren and the First Order.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The stable kids reenacting Luke's standoff with Ben suggests to me that a little bit of time has already past. I'm guessing it would've taken at least a few days if not weeks for that information to filter down to Canto Bight.

17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    A 3 -or even more, 5- years jump would be really cool. So the protagonists already "processed" what they've been through in the 2 past movies. And to have the conflict taken to new "galactic heights". Seeing what became of Kylo Ren and Rey 5 years after what happened in TFA/TLJ would be very very interesting. Maybe "Supreme Leader Ren" has a totally new look and more self-confidence, surrounded by his Knights of Ren, maybe he's both the new Vader AND Palpatine (well, a younger palpatine) and he's deep into the knowledge of the dark side. Maybe Rey found other force users, maybe she was visited by Luke's force ghost who tought her the way of the Jedi. And countless other things. 3 or 5 years later would change enough things to make 9 unpredictable.

civilsecret and dekaneas like this.
  18. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Has to be 3-5 Yrs +

There are what, 8 people in the resistance at the end? 9 will probably have to start with Leias funeral and the FO controlling the galaxy.

There is a danger 9 is going to feel rushed because there was no time gap between 7 & 8. My own feeling is that really this needs longer than a 'Trilogy' to tell a compelling story well. So much needs to happen to resolve things in favor of the heroes at the end I don't actually envy JJ here.

19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    50 years. Rey will be played by Judi Dench. And it will be awesome.

Vohnkar, Deerborne, rorow1 and 8 others like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The fact that the actors are aging a bit, might be a good reason for a time gap, especially considering there was no time gap between 7 and 8.

If there was no time gap between 8 and 9, then the actors will be around 4 years older in 9 than in 7, but the characters will be less than 1 year older - which may be just a little problematic for the youngest characters.

21. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I think around 3-5 years would have passed....the resistance needs to be at least somewhat re-built to fight to FO and Leia would have been leader for at least a few more years in books/comics and then passed away/retired.

22. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I would say 4 to 5 years.

23. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

This. It really all does feel rushed. With ATOC and Empire at least we had a sense of direction and flow in the story. Here it feels like it just came to a complete stop and now has to start all over again. This is something I am excited to see because Star Wars, or trilogy's for that matter don't really flow like this but at the same time I feel worried. I wonder if 9 will be 2.5-3. I doubt it will ever get to three but it sure feels like it has to be.

24. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Several years, with Leia buying it sometime in the interim.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'd go with at least 5-7 years. Give the story something breathing room. Let the characters evolve off screen a bit. Leia could have died naturally, no need to have some convoluted story. Maybe more people are waking up as force sensitives and are inspired by Legend Luke. Maybe Rey has a small band of New Jedi disiples now. And Kylo is now much more focused, stronger and dark.