main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Gap/Jump Between VIII and IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 14, 2017.

?

How big of a time gap will there be between VIII and IX?

1. Straight after

1.7%
  2. 1 week after

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 month after

1.1%
  4. Several months

10.7%
  5. 1 year

11.9%
  6. 2 years

19.8%
  7. 3 or more years

54.8%
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    First Order all the way baby.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Because ending another trilogy with the baddies winning would be a terrible idea. We just got that last time.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I really do think they’ll keep the Resistance numbers small if only to have Kylo and Rey work together to save the day.

The time jump will be small, the Resistance will be small but some sort of internal strife in the FO possibility combined with some Kylo/Rey Force craziness will stop the FO.

Things are going to look bleak for the Resistance but then at the last second somebody will pull off a trick play that will save the day as cliche as that is.

Birkendoc likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Because if 99.999999% of the galaxy is okay with the First Order ruling them, then there's no point to oppose them and continue on. (both from in story, and meta outside the story)

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm hoping for at least one year, but two or three would be fine, too.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That would be an interesting twist.
    The Resistance lives on, but to be honest the Galaxy is generally happy with Emperor Kylo and Grand General Hux running everything with a firm, sometimes violent, hand.

How do you keep the rebellion going when people give up their freedom for stability?

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Does anyone have a meme of The Simpsons' Kent Brockman saying "I, for one, welcome our new First Order overlords."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    GregMcP likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    That I suppose would give them a parallel to European colonialism and all the horrible things the US has done in the name of democracy. Could be cool but there’s no way Disney would go in that direction.

9. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I would say this, having the Resistance as essentially a government in exile, ready to step in, makes more sense to me than having them regain a miiitary foothold. The war is over and should stay that way, IMO.

10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    One year, two tops would work for me anyway.

11. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Ep 9 taking place a couple of years after TLJ would be interesting IMO. Like 2 or 3 years later or more...so our heroes and villains have integrated their TFA/TLJ adventures and evolved. It would give us the feel of an almost new era which opens up a lot of possibility storywise.

ex: what if the movie starts 5 years later and Rey has become a more accomplished jedi and gathered a bunch of force users to help her in fight against the FO? Or maybe the galaxy is cut in two with the FO being ruled by a supreme leade Ren gone "mad king" and a small but official New Republic remnant ruled by chancellor Organa? Or we could learn that Kylo Ren has gone rogue with his Knights of Ren and is looting the galaxy while the FO is collapsing since Hux seized power, leaving the galaxy in chaos, with pirates and gang lords implicitely ruling different "kingdoms".......

12. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    There's a chance that IX will be more of an epilogue to the saga in the same way that TPM is a prologue to the saga.

There's a 10-year jump between TPM and AotC. Placing IX about a decade after the TFA/TLJ duology would give the entire saga a narrative symmetry. A prologue, 7 core chapters, and an epilogue.

Maybe a 5-10 year jump is in order.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    5 or 6 years would allow the children such as Broomboy to become old enough to join the New Rebellion or be Jedi students capable of putting up a fight.

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Who's to say there aren't Force sensitive people in the galaxy older than Broom Boy that are ready to fight? Rey proves that too. Point being, they don't need a time jump to give all the new Force people time to grow up.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My thoughts exactly.

3-5 years at least I'd think.

I expect that it's going to be the reset past ROTJ that seems to have been the general plan.

So Ren/Vader leads the First Order/Empire after Sidious'/Snoke's death against Rey/Luke and the Rebellion/Rebel Alliance.

Some sort of ROTS style open with a massive battle that starts the end of the First Order. Rey is now basically a Jedi Knight vs the Sith Lord Ren.

Somehow or other they'll work in Anakin's Force spirit and Balance of the Force elements that will tie into Rey and Ren.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  16. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I would certainly hope some time goes by to establish just what the hell is going on with the galaxy. In ANH, Lucas was able to sum up the state of things really easily in a way that just negated a need to know why or how. They tried to do the same with the FO and resistance, but i didnt think it worked as well. TPM through ROTS showed me deliberately how things fell apart that illuminated everything about why ANH was in the state it was. With ROTJs ending, I felt like I needed some explanation for why everything stayed in place. The FO likes big toys but seems about as big as N Korea on screen, and the resistance feels as organized as the kids from Red Dawn. The New Republic, which we see next to nothing of and know even less about, blows up completely, but that's ok, you can still party on Canto Bight like it's nothing. I can't begin to fathom what the point of it all is. History repeats? Is that all? The galaxy isn't really under the total rule of the FO. No one seems to have batted an eyelash at the republic getting vaporized. Business as usual. Is the lesson Apathy , really far far away? No one answered Leias call. The stakes aren't high. We just keep seeing minor skirmishes between these groups. I just can't foresee any meaningful end coming down in the next 2 hours 20 minutes of movie that's gonna make this a worthy installment to the 6 that came before it.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    They had to do a ten year jump in the PT to age Anakin. There’s no narrative need for such a big time jump between TLJ and Ep. 9.

Deerborne likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Apart from the fact that the Resistance only has one ship and no apparent allies...

How they get from there to a defeated FIrst Order is going to be a real challenge to convincingly pull off if there’s no significant time jump.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh I don’t think the Resistance will defeat the FO by building up an equal sized army. I think it’ll be a combo of building up their forces a little bit combined with Kylo turning on the FO plus some sort of deus ex machina plot device on Rey and the Resistance behalf.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You may be right. But I really hope not. Though I don’t at all believe the Resistance needs an “equal sized army,” I do think a broader group of galactic citizens should be built before a victory in order to avoid an overly cartoonish ending. And given the broomboy ending of TLJ, I think that’s what we’ll get.

21. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    It's true that there's no character in the ST that requires aging for a narrative jump. But because of the way TLJ ended, it seems like some kind of time jump is the best way forward for the story.

10 years is probably excessive. But ~5 years seems very reasonable. The death of Leia, the collapse and reconstruction of the Resistance, the growth of Rey and the New Jedi Order, the maturation of Kylo....these things will require time.

22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I could see that happening. I’ve said it before but I could see Ep.9 ending with a montage of citizen uprisings all over the galaxy which would include a quick cameo of Broom Boy.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Que up the inhabitants of Kamino... Instant mega army :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with over three years. Actually, I'd prefer it be more than five years. This would give lots of time for some new ideas to develop, and we can return to the GFFA at a time when there has been much development on both sides, rather than simply more of the same-which IMO is all it CAN be, if they have it take place only a year (or less) after. With half a decade passing, it opens the door for many new possibilities in the story-especially on the resistance side, as mentioned above.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  25. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I was thinking about this the other day. The New Republic falls, the First Order loses Starkiller Base, it's largest Star Destroyer, and its leader all within a few days. If there's no time jump for IX, that means the First Order will have risen to galactic prominence and then fallen within like, one week.

Imagine being an average Joe during that time.

"Hey Bob, remember last week when the government was essentially wiped out and we were under siege from the First Order?"

"Yeah, Carl, good thing the Resistance was there for us when we needed it."

"Yeah. That was a rough week."

Sorry if this thread doesn't really have a place here, I just thought it was worth pointing out. I think it's a bit funny.