main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Gap/Jump Between VIII and IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 14, 2017.

?

How big of a time gap will there be between VIII and IX?

1. Straight after

1.7%
  2. 1 week after

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 month after

1.1%
  4. Several months

10.7%
  5. 1 year

11.9%
  6. 2 years

19.8%
  7. 3 or more years

54.8%
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    There will be a time jump.

IX needs the time jump because Rey cannot fight without reading the books first and rebuilding the lightsaber.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Jo Lucas and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm so glad I don't live in a world where every week delivers a tidal wave of horrible news where democracy and personal freedoms are under attack and depending on the month we're inching closer to nuclear war and the person in charge is a thin skinned baby who didn't get enough love from his father and is constantly lashing out at everybody around him. That would be nuts! :p

Bor Mullet, Red23, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  3. AveKender

AveKender Jedi Padawan

Mar 27, 2017
    This is why I kinda want to see them try to pull a week-long sequel trilogy. However that seems to be a minority view.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Unless they make Episode 9 a two-part episode. I wouldn't mind that, to be honest. I'd rather have a better story written over two films, than have it all crammed into one and it not be a good story. If Lucas Film comes out and doesn't treat us like idiots and says this is what we are doing, this is what is right for the story, you guys want it, we want it, there's no reason why we can't do it this way, then who would really oppose that? In time, it will still be seen as one film.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I'm not sure I follow your point here. Are you saying you want IX to be split into two films?

My point is specifically about how the in-universe events of the sequel trilogy are likely only spanning a week of time total, if not a bit more than that.

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well yea, in my opinion, a logical and well thought out conclusion to the story can't be done very well at this point if it's only done in one film, based on the fact that we are still only a few days away from the events of TFA. And if they wanted to make it a good story, I wouldn't mind if they split up Episode 9 into two films.

Unless, they do go that route and make it all happen within a week's time, and basically make it so that the ST serves as the precursor to the sequel trilogy of the ST.

7. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    You and I both know they're not splitting IX into two films.

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    We could have said we "knew" a lot of things before a film's episodic release. Nothing is out of the question.

Less seriously, I'll go with the Dumb and Dumber response with just about anything nowadays...

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

10. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I would love for episode 9 to be split into two movies. I think the series needs it, desperately.

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Personally, I disagree.

With less filler and fluff, we can have one great film.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    A time jump guarantees that Rey will have already constructed a new lightsaber before the events of Ep. IX, no? I've seen some speculation that we'll see Rey build her new lightsaber but if there's say a two year time jump it would be weird to me that Rey would put off making a lightsaber for so long.

Rodie likes this.
  13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Most likely you're right, and that would mirror Luke in ROTJ.
    On a similar note, I see lots of people speculating that Lando will be the one who answers Leia's distress call, yet these same people often think there will be a 2-3 year time jump, which would mean Lando's response time really sucks (it would be pretty funny, though, if Lando just shows up in the very last scene of Episode 9, after the war is over, and says, "Did somebody call for my help?" Iris out.)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  14. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I keep jumping between a few months and three years. Both work in my head, I guess.

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm sure there will be a time jump. How long? I don't know or care to speculate.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yep, I was one of those people that initially thought we'd see the moment the new cast met Lando for the first time and maybe we will but the more I think about it the more it feels weird that it would take the Resistance two years to meet up with Lando, that's assuming the time jump is two years. Even if the time jump was only six months it would be weird if Lando was all, "hey guys sorry I'm just getting back to you six months later. Life got in the way! So what's up? All of that happened in a week?!?!? Damn! How have you all survived on your own for the last half a year?"

I can easily see the crawl telling us that it's been two years since TLJ and the Lando has been helping the Resistance in those two years.

17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    In all likelihood, the exact number of years, months, etc that transpire between 8 and 9 probably won't be mentioned in the film itself. Come to think of it, years and months are an odd concept for SW, anyway, considering that the films takes place on multiple planets, which presumably all revolve around their respective suns in different lengths of time. It will probably just be made clear that there has been some passage of time, and the exact amount of time won't really matter, so it will be left vague, as it almost always is in SW.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know....that seems to be a trend over these last several years. Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. Who knows-we may get an Episode IX part I, and an Episode IX part II! 8-}

Seriously though, I do kind of feel that the story (which has a long way to go still, IMO) could really benefit from a fourth installment in this ST.

So it would really be a SQ, actually. :-B

Agreed. I had just posted in another thread recently, none of the SW films really specify how long it's been between episodes. We're basically just told before the film is released, and then we just go off of that. Works fine, IMO.

19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Just like Luke did between ESB and ROTJ. I fully expect to just see Rey with a new lightsaber at the start of the movie and not much of a big deal will be made about it (unless perhaps FG Luke comments on it).

Personally, I think the longer the gap in the timeline the better. Set it 5 years after TLJ. Gives Kylo more time to become ensconced in his role as Supreme Leader. More time for him to become twisted and evil, and more time for Rey and Finn to grow and change into real leaders for the Rebellion.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I fear the ST might feel like a Saturday morning cartoon if there's not a substantial time jump from VIII to IX. The idea that this whole conflict begins and is resolved in a matter of weeks just doesn't feel authentic.

2-5 years, IMO.

Avnar and 11-4D like this.
  21. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    Again, still hoping for just a few days, if not immediately after TLJ.

The idea that this entire war basically takes place over a week or so would be amazing to me.

22. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I would personally like it to pick up right where we left off as well. But if there is going to be a time jump I hope it is only 1-2 years tops.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Definitely amazing. Amazingly ludicrous.

chrcharcor2 and Avnar like this.
  24. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Between "Empire" and "Jedi" was 1 Years
    Between "Clones" and "Sith" was 3 Years

I say a 2 Year Time-Jump. I understand TLJ had to answer the Luke Lightsaber cliffhanger so I forgive Rian for not using a Time-Jump but JJ better not pick up where it left off. That's a little too Saturday morning cartoon serialized (Previously Last Year on Star Wars), lol. The Time-Jumps work because we would always speculate what happen in the years between Episodes. I mean wasn't it a 10 Year Time-Jump form "Menace" to "Clones"? right? So much happen to Anakin that we didn't even see on screen and that's fine. It was great for our imaginations and of course the EU Book market, lol.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  25. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    There needs to be a time jump. IX can’t just pick up right where VIII left off. People say they want IX to be a two parter but in essence VII was a two parter. And part two would just be called Episode X.

It still irks me a bit that VIII started right where VII left off. I’ve yet to hear a compelling and convincing explanation on why they needed to do that.

chrcharcor2 and 11-4D like this.