main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Time jump in ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Count Yubnub, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    My interpretation of events is that there is a (possibly considerable) time jump in ESB right after the shot in which the Slave I started following the Falcon. I presume you know the cut I’m talking about.

In the scenes directly after that, Luke has his vision of Han & Leia in pain and prepares to leave, which is intercut with the Falcon arriving at Cloud City.

As part of his conversation with Yoda, Yoda exclaims, “The cave! Remember your failure at the cave!” to which Luke responds, “but I’ve learned so much since then!” To me this implies that the cave sequence took place a while ago (people wouldn’t talk like this about events that took place yesterday), which in turn implies that Luke has been studying a lot and has been receiving lots of training.

This also in turn implies that the trip from the Anoat system to Bespin took quite a while. (Didn’t we learn in “Solo” that the Falcon has a shower? Glad to know this). Which would also make sense considering they were traveling at sublight.

I know lots of people have suggested that there’s a time jump in ESB, but I think identifying the exact cut where it happens—directly after the Slave I following the Falcon— is useful.

Then we can ask how long a time jump we’re talking about. Weeks? Months? A year?

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The usual estimate seems to be a few weeks - and not much over a month.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    it would admittedly be a really boring trip.

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.