main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Travel in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Pevra, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The new trailer for Episode IX had me think: What if this movie is actually about travelling back in time? We know from Rebels that it is possible to go back in time and even rescue people from certain death (like Ahsoka was rescued by Ezra). What if Kylo Ren finds a way to enter the time portal and travels to the battle on Death Star II to prevent Vader from turning to the light? And then, Palpatine somehow manages to escape into normal time and they all have to fight him?

We know how obsessed Kylo is regarding his grandfather. Maybe his collection of body parts/armor pieces plays some role in creating a time portal.

What do you think?

PhoenixRebel likes this.
  2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I would rather time travel remain on the margins of the Star Wars universe IMHO.

And either way, I don't think that this would work well for the plot of Star Wars episode 9.

3. PhoenixRebel

PhoenixRebel Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2019
    You know ever since we got WBW in Rebels and JJ I’ve thought we are getting time travel, time loops, paradoxes etc . And then seeing that title Rise of Skywalker made me think we are going back in time too . This might sound crazy but I think you could be on to something and that destiny and the force play into it .There’s a theory /leak on Reddit ( I say theory because it could all be BS) which would be mind blowing but if you read the comments - it’s even more so but does tie up the skywalker saga completely but very controversially. If they don’t use it this way I reckon they will use it in a different way. Thing is in the past it would be weird for Star Wars to have something like this but now ? Marvel have done time travel , WBW has opened up possibility of time travel .I don’t know if we can post this but I thought it worth a look - it’s weird though .

Ops didn’t think it would post whole thing . Not sure how to cover it up lol!Take with lunch/grain of salt as always .
    Anyway there are others ways time travel could be done ie back to distant past etc

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well I'm not a huge fan of time travel either, but it could explain some things about IX, especially how they "bring back" Palpatine.

oncafar and teamhansolo like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Is it truly time travel though? Ahsoka was gone while time was still moving on, hence why Vader thought she was dead, and then we saw her going down the stairs she came back.

teamhansolo likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    JJ did time travel in Star Trek.
    Maybe here he simply resurrects everyone

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Oh please no.

Time travel I'm not totally against but this would be too much.

Plus wouldn't Rey have to be sent back younger than she is in TRoS? We already saw some form of her parents leaving her on Jakku as a child in the TFA flashback.

And they already did this in a lot of other sci-fi. Like alot I'm guessing.

Two examples; Lister is his own father due to a time-loop in Red Dwarf.
    Fry is his own grandpa due to time-travel in Futurama.

Technically not the same thing I guess because in this scenario Rey would not be a Skywalker descendant in the ST, she would be the first Skywalker in the past.

I would be awestruck if the "rise" in the title refers to a resurrection of Luke or Anakin like the second coming of Jesus however :p

teamhansolo and Lost_Hope like this.
  8. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Problem with that is we have already seen the events of the Throne Room in ROTJ. If Kylo Ren was going to interfere with that then we would have seen it already in 1983. An event only happens once in the same universe. If we're talking multiverses, new timelines or whatever then sure, but a "do-over" of the events in a different timeline almost doesn't matter as it says to the audience that all possibilities played out and the one we showed you in 1983 is irrelevant now as we have moved multiverses.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Time travel has been part of many Star Trek episodes. I know you guys probably don't like Trek too much, but bear with me, m'kay? ;)

In one of the episodes the crew of Deep Space Nine travels back to the original Enterprise (Kirk and Spock, etc.) to foil the plot of a villainous time traveller. They save the day in the background, while the original enterprise crew experience events from an old episode.

Kylo may travel back to change events, doesn't mean he succeeds. But he could end up creating an opportunity for Palpatine's soul or spirit to travel into present time using the time corridor Kylo created.

HevyDevy likes this.
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    feels like time travel would just be a way for JJ to fanboy and bring together the 9 movies. Last movie in Saga is a trip through time.

even the original force back from TFA was supposed to have been more from the previous movies as well.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    This is why I &@$#ing hate some Star Wars fans. Oh, let's make Star Wars feel and be like every other sci-fi movie! Get the $&!@ out of here with this $#@&!

RexExLiberi likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    ^We have a hater here!
    [​IMG]

13. Maul Clone

Maul Clone Jedi Grand Master

Mar 26, 2000
    Why would Kylo bring back Palpatine? He just got rid of Snoke. No the more likely scenario is the Knights of Ren pull Palpatine out of time via the World Between Worlds. A great place to do so would be while he's falling to his death on Death Star 2. And this makes more sense plot wise, gives Kylo and Rey a reason to team up again. We all know that's coming.

oncafar and Darth Smurf like this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    BS! comes to mind.

15. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    And then she dies because she can't remember how to use the Force or how to fight back. How hopeful. Perfect ending.
    My uncle is saying that this story is absurd.

HevyDevy likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Get a grip, man.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Where we're going we won't need lightsabers.

18. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    I love time travel. but once you go there. everything that has been written, can be unwritten. Time travel is a method best suited to Star Trek. uh oh.

19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Time travel is only possible naked. Daisy said the truth. We will not see semi naked Kylo again. He will be totally naked.
    (...and on his way back to the future Palps as well [face_sick])

Trikuza23 likes this.
  20. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    So I live time travel movies, but I wouldn't want to see it in Star Wars. However, since everything has been fair game in the Disney era, at this point who cares? I mean if they only have time travel in this episode and it somehow wraps up everything I guess go for it.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You've strangely describe the ending to the ONLY OTHER THING JJ ABRAMS EVER FINISHED...So you might be right on the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Destroy the OT with time travel... That is the natural, logical consequence of what you cite combined with Disney's demonstrated intent to swallow entire solar systems of entertainment IP, and also colonize the Star Wars IP with its Roman Eagle in every possible manner. So far, somehow, ESB is the last city of Zion. But time travel will help Disney to colonize that as well.

I am certain there are fans of Disney, Abrams, Johnson, who would give thunderous applause for the gates of the OT to be thrown open to Disney.

The IP will be Marvelized in due time. Time travel will be injected into Star Wars in due time. Star Wars will be homogenized with all other adjacent competing products, in due time. (Prediction: when most of gen x hits fixed income, another 15-20 years, OT is completely done for as a time-defying monument. It will be bull dozed and replaced.)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Rey learns she is pregnant through midichlorian immaculate conception, she is sent back in time sixty five years and finds herself purchased into slavery by Gardullah the Hutt. She changes her name to Shmi...

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    'midichlorian immaculate conception'

Well, that's what she said to Kylo when he showed up Saturday night in a tie.

25. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess using WBW, Kylo or KoR could pull out Sheev into the future when he's falling down the reactor or something. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019