main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Travel in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Pevra, Apr 15, 2019.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't mind a time travel plot, as long as it doesn't leave us with a bunch of questions. Like Endgame. That was an awesome movie, and my favorite of the MCU by far. But as soon as I started using my brain at the end and trying to actually think thru all that the time travel thing caused offscreen while I was watching what played out ONscreen, it started making my brain hurt. So I had to shut it off and just enjoy.

If we can all shut our brains of for Star Wars, then it might be doable. Especially after seeing the episodes in the last season of Rebels surrounding this topic. Might actually be cool. But a time travel plot is such a slippery slope, I'd almost rather they just steer clear.

2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Time Travel = Deus Ex Machina but that hasn't prevented many a franchise from going there.

The only exceptions are those movies where Time travel is the integral part of the movie (i.e. Back to the future)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I can safely say that I’m completely against time travel in Star Wars, and I can’t think of anything to change my mind.

That said, I am not opposed to character resurrection, depending on how it’s done.

Iron_lord and Generational Fan like this.
  4. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Speaking of time travel is anybody watching the Netflix show, "Dark"? So good!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I remember in Legends they dove into "Flow Walking" it was similar to time travel, but the only hitch was that the folks who were able to use that technique were not allowed to interfere. I actually thought that was a cool technique.

But yeah staright up time travel I'd be very leery of.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  7. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Time travel is not inherently wrong for SW. The question is whether it could be done in a non-cliche way that feels true to the SW world, given what we know about the Force and SW tech.

If it's a unique Force power that works with interesting rules that feel fresh and authentic, then fine.

However, if it's clear the power has just been brought in to exploit more past SW iconography or to fix plot problems, then not fine.

I'm feeling somewhat wary about it considering the last points. I can see JJ and KK chatting about how "great" it would be to revisit classic past moments.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Time travel has been kind of done already, with Star wars rebels. they already sort of broke that barrier already.

Problem is i doubt Abrams will go anywhere near time travel. its such a huge stretch to the Star Wars he grew up with.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    To a degree Abrams has already hinted at time travel with Rey's Force flashback scene in TFA. Actual time travel could be an extension of that.

After what's happened so far in the ST - I don't think I can say anything wouldn't seem like Star Wars because if the label is on it it - then it Star Wars. Now - GL might not have done it that way but its his baby where he had strong ideas where the story should go. A new person is at the controls now.

10. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    JJ probably doesn't even know what Rebels is, much less any plot points. LFL thinks of the movie audience much differently than the small audience who watch shows like Rebels. So there is still a barrier to break re time travel in the movies.

JJ said "**** it" because this is the end of the Saga. So anything's possible, and we all know he loves time travel.

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Maybe i am still basing alot of my view on what he did on TFA where alot of it feels like a replica of the OT. but he could surprise us, i just feel alot of the passion for Star Wars comes from his own nostalgia

12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    C3PO: Is there anything I can do?
    LUKE: Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock.

~ Star Wars, 1977.

Maybe what we saw at the end of TLJ, when Luke is meditating on a rock, was not Luke dying, but Luke finally being able to "teleport off the rock", maybe even alter time in the process. Maybe Luke seeing a twin sunset was not him looking at an actual twin sunset on Ahch-To but him having a vision of the Tatooine sunset because that's where he was focusing his energy and where he was teleporting to.

Oryx-I and Neesh like this.
  13. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    While JJ may not know, KK and LFL do know about Rebels and the shows (TCW). so much so that they put Maul into SOLO. So this argument hold little water. The barrier was broken already.

And let's face it, everyone is doing time travel these days. Avengers, the Flash, Star Trek...

14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I listened to a YouTuber that I thought had a good point on this. The Next Generation's All Good Things... is often credited as one of the best series finales. In the Star Trek world, I don't think I've met someone that didn't love that episode. That episode used time travel to essentially tie the whole series up. It gave the ending a really epic feel.

The hard part for JJ, and he has actually talked about this, is wrapping up the new characters' stories in away that ties the whole saga together. I actually could see him looking to that episode for inspiration in this giant task, although I still think it's pretty unlikely overall.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  15. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I thought that time travel seemed unlikely, but then it occurred to me that JJ's had time travel in a lot of the TV series he has been involved in. He seems to enjoy the concept. It's really hard to pull off well though.

16. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Pulling off time travel is near impossible. If they mess up TROS with time travel my days as a Star Wars fans could be numbered. I thought Endgame was fun/exciting, but the time travel stuff was the worst part. Time travel is a cheap cop out IMO.

17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Ha that's right. Felicity wasn't even a fantasy show and like 1/3 of the final season was a giant time travel plot.

Gotta say, I'm gonna laugh so hard if RLM guessed right when they were really just taking the piss at modern SW' expense.

Darth_Pevra and alwayslurking like this.
  18. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree with everything except for the part about not being a Star Wars fan if time travel is used. I would only be very disappointed if the concept is used.

Darth Buzz likes this.
  19. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    You could very easily destroy the integrity of the entire Saga with a poorly executed time travel plot. I think they're too sensible to risk it.

20. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    They could pull a Game of Thrones 3 eyed raven type situation with a character seeing the past and glimpses of the future. Then we can see events taking place between ROTJ and TFA with the 3 eyed raven character seeing Luke and Han interact (with CGI de-aging), maybe an epic 45 year old Luke doing something bad ass, and more of a good explanation for why he went to Arch-to.

But I don't mind if they just go full out Endgame style, but spend less time on it because I can't rewatch act 2 of Endgame without getting bored.

It's also the only way to see Luke and Han together again.

But if no time travel, then I hope for Luke to pull a Gandalf and come back as Luke the White, in white robes similar to his black robes in ROTJ. Then he can do all kinds of kicking ass. Which is what so many fans wanted.

It would also make "The Rise of Skywalker" title make more sense.

Also the prophecy could be altered to mean that it was a collaborative effort of all the Skywalkers playing a part in defeating the dark side.

Remember SW used to be about the adventures of Luke. It was only after the prequels Lucas changed it to be the Anakin saga.

Maybe this is the part where JJ consulted with George - talking about how to have the Emperor and Luke return without undoing the prophecy of the chosen one.

And there's a rumor reshoots will last until September. Perhaps in reaction to how the trailer was received....

21. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    No, no, no

Time travel has never been a part of the previous 8 episodes so to introduce it now would be so out of context.

22. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    The only way I could see them using time travel is in the context of the world between worlds.. understanding the force in greater depth and Kylo and Rey's connection to it. Flashbacks could be used. Using time travel outside of these contexts, would seem like lazy writing and would not be a good thing to end a trilogy that already seems so thrown together for a lack of a better phrase.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  23. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    Your reasoning is super weak. LFL lets the directors decide how much they want to work with the EU, so it doesn't mean much to say that KK and LFL "know." (I wouldn't assume either that KK knows much about the plots of Rebels.) The creators of Solo were much more collaborative with the EU, and you should know that if you're going to make such an argument.

And JJ wouldn't care if the barrier was broken or not. He would only care about doing time travel if he wanted to do it. That's how the film universe is set up.

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    How easily we forget....

"Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future. The past. Old friends long gone." - Yoda, 1980.

This concept is baked into the idea of the Force. And Rey or Luke having visions that "time travel" the audience back to seeing certain things is not the same thing as a character going back in time and affecting a change on events.

I think we may see something like that visualized on screen in a way we have never before. But it's not new for the saga. Luke had a vision of the future of Leia and Han being in danger in a "City in the Clouds."

Anakin had a vision of Padme dying in childbirth, etc.

Not really time travel, but more like TIME VISION.

Maybe Rey experiences something more fully than she did with the TFA force vision. Maybe Kylo gets hold of an old Sith holocron and it triggers a vision for him. Something like that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  25. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    I don't personally think time travel is improbable in the GFFA. The whole question turns on how well would it be executed by JJ and Terrio?

If time were used mainly as a reason to exploit past iconography again, then it is a terrible idea. If there's a great story reason for it, then fine.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    2Cleva and Palp_Faction like this.