main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time travel writers need more imagination

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Anakin 99, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I love reading time travel stories in the Star Wars Universe but 99% of them Characters from the OT travels to the PT or Characters from PT to the OT

There are other time periods in Star Wars for once Some one sends Anakin to the Yuuzhan Vong War or the Old Republic

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Writers write what they know most about.

You are far more likely to find people who watched the six films, than who read the Vong era, or played the KOTOR games, for instance.

My Nifesta character travelled back 3000 years, but that was dictated by me trying to get him into a roleplay game set back then, and the game still imploded within a few pages as the GM didn't have enough material, outside one historical jedi academy assault, to work with.

BTW, the PT is the Old Republic.

3. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016

you will think if Some one Have time for writing and reading star wars fanfiction they will Have time for reading some of the books , at least for some research

too bad I have many ideas, but without the talent to write

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Some of the books, yes, but far more, readily available information is out there regarding the two trilogies, and I can only speak for myself, in terms of what I can write - I need a lot of information to get an idea of the environment - local, planetary, galactic(?) - that my characters are going to be playing with, and between the films, West End Games' roleplaying guides, numerous novels; I have enough to imagine scenarios, and then put them down on paper, or type about them.

A three book trilogy, for instance the Black Fleet Crisis, for me at least, does not provide anywhere near enough data to enable or interest me in wanting to send my characters there.

Plus, time travel is tricky, you need a way of getting there and getting back, if possible.

Anakin 99, try reading more, especially books that you think will cover or mention what you want to write about. Look for and note how scenes are done by other writers, and try to incorporate them into your own work.

For instance, in my early pre-internet SW fanfic, there was a time where I embraced slugthrowers and projectile weaponry rather than blasters, not because I prefer one to the other, but I was able to read scenes in books that described that sort of stuff, eg. the spin-off novelisations of Miami Vice (groundbreaking 1980's cop show).

I struggle to write the lightsabre duels, because regardless of how many times I can watch them being done, that does not translate into knowing what to do with my hands, fingers, and the hilt to get the blade to do that spinney thing. But I can describe the sith out of a Mac-10 on full auto, because I read a well described scene, and filed it away.

You want to write about Endor, look up adventures likely to take place in woods and forests, eg. Robin Hood, maybe LOTR, do enough of that research, then start to write. Just get your ideas down.

leiamoody likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, you have not read anything, you don't like anybody and you have already made the judgement about our writing?

Not to mention that the OP and the first response have nothing to do with what Sith said in the meantime.

I smell a troll.

6. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for the advice But I prefer to have a Idea And then collaborate with another writer as adviser that way I enjoy reading the story more

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mod post: While I'd be okay with a general discussion on time travel in SW fics, this clearly isn't one. This discussion belongs more in Fan Fic Pet Peeves. Please relocate this discussion there.

Ewok Poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.