main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lou, KY Timothy Zahn Conglomeration 2019

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Sep 18, 2018.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I saw that Conglom has announced Timothy Zahn as GOH for 2019. Surprised they made the announcement this early (it's from April, I only just saw it). Very nice of him to spend his Easter weekend with us. I hope he realized it when he agreed, I half expect a cancelation.
    http://www.conglomeration.info/2018...ation-author-guest-of-honor-timothy-zahn.html
    I like that he does big cons like SDCC, DragonCon and Star Wars Celebration but still does smaller shows too.
    It's early to start a thread too but I wanted to put it up as a placeholder if we wanted to make any plans as a group. There's sure to be a big Star Wars presence because where Zahn is the 501st won't be far behind.

Weekend of April 19-21 2019

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Wow. That is pretty cool.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    When I looked today this is actually the weekend after SWCC (April 11-15) so that's a nice consolation prize for those of us not going. We might get more face time than we would in Chicago. I hope he does a panel.

Relin likes this.
  4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    ConGlom programming guide is up. Seems like there's quite a few Star Wars/Thrawn panels but without the panel description I'm not sure which ones Mr Zahn will be at. I'll dig deeper.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Relin likes this.
  6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    From what I can tell looking at the schedule Mr. Zahn is pretty heavy involved with the writing track (no big surprise)
    FRIDAY
    4PM Dissecting Star Wars (Location Elliot)
    5PM Writing Great Plot Twists (Location Elliot)
    8PM ConGlom opening ceremonies and GOH meet and greet

SATURDAY
    10AM Writing Thrawn (Location Perry)
    2PM Writing as a Career (Location Perry)
    7PM Writing Collaboratively (Location Perry)

SUNDAY
    1PM Guests of Honor:Last Call (Location Elliot)

Even though I have no plans on ever writing a book I plan on hitting all of Mr. Zahn's panels. Maybe not Sunday. Doesn't look like there's much going on anyway.
    If the parking for Wonderfest is any indication I plan to arrive early to get a spot and maybe? not leave for meals. That I'm going to play by ear.

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Timothy Zahn is posting to his social media from Celebration Chicago
    https://www.facebook.com/TimothyZahn/

I'm having a tough time thinking of questions for him for his panels. I just all...duh...I LIKE THRAWN!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Relin

Relin Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2010
    Bad questions to ask:Why is Thrawn blue? Is he a vegan? Is he a Skywalker? What is Zahn's opinion about pineapple on pizza? Could Thrawn take Chuck Norris??

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I saw a guy cosplay as "Zahn Swanson," we could ask Tim if he likes Parks and Rec.

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I think it was "Thrawn" Swanson. I'm gonna ask (at the table, not in a panel) if they let him fire the Tshirt cannon after his interview at the Star Wars Show stage.

11. Relin

Relin Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2010
    FYI:it looks look Mr. Zahn is involved in two other (nonwriting) panels Saturday.
    World in an Hour”
    11am | Elliott
    Hosted by Brian Cooksey (Play On Target and Armor Goes Clank). An audience-participation exercise which will produce a setting suitable for gaming or fiction. Guest-starring Author Guest of Honor Timothy Zahn!
    “Jammed Transmissions Live Podcast Recording”
    3pm | Elliott
    Come join the studio audience for a live recording of Jammed Transmissions – A Star Wars Podcast. Legendary Star Wars novelist and Author Guest of Honor Timothy Zahn will talk shop with JT crew and you don’t want to miss it

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up Relin. Wow, they are keeping him busy. I wonder how local the Jammed Transmissions podcast is.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We could do a podcast.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd be willing to discuss it. There would be negatives (saturated market,I'm old to be learning new skills, we'd need to use social media to promote) and positives (we're not toxic, we're kind of fun, we couldn't do worse than some other podcasts I've heard). FYI the Jammed Transmissions podcast is out of Lexington.

Some random stuff from the weekend...
    -I saw Mr Zahn was drinking Sierra Mist several times over the weekend so I'm guessing that's his drink of choice.
    -He is busy busy busy. He shared his upcoming con schedule with me and they're on the road 2-3 weekends every month. I asked when he finds time to write and he said he does a lot of writing in airports.
    -I asked if he shipped all the books at his table to each con and he said they have so many miles/pull with United they have an allowance of 3 pieces of up to 70 pounds each at no charge. So he always makes sure cons bring him in on United.

I really had a nice time this weekend and enjoyed spending time with my LGA peeps soaking in the legend that is Timothy Zahn. The con seemed to run pretty smooth for an all volunteer con and the Con Suite was a very nice touch. It's been a couple of years since I went. I can only hope they bring in more Star Wars guests in the future.

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I think this is the Star Wars fan film that was screened late Friday night.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    In honor of Steve Brule, here is a clip of his from the YouTube:

(It's more weird then funny gang, I just am posting it for reference)

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, that seems about right.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.