main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Titan AE

Discussion in 'Community' started by R.D., Jun 28, 2020.

1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Anyone else remember this one? With the film having recently turned two decades old, I gave it a rewatch, with my general thoughts up here; but I was curious to see what others might have thought or remembered of it, with it having come out in the wake of the PT revival of Star Wars after all. This and All Dogs Go To Heaven were the Don Bluth films that caught my eye as a younger 'un, though of course I didn't really know who he was back then. There hasn't really been much like this in the 20 years since, barring Treasure Planet and Atlantis, which shared the same unfortunate fate in the box office. While the film is a bit of a mixed bag and some aspects (especially the soundtrack) have aged, it has its moments, particularly for me the opening:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I remember it. still one of the better original (scifi)animated films that i have seen. sadly stuff like this just does not happen any more.

R.D. likes this.
  3. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Honestly one of my favorite animated films.

Long long ago when people used something called cable teevee, every time i saw it on i would watch it. Its that good. Dredge felt like a good threat and i love the animation style.

R.D. likes this.
  4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Best remembered as an interesting teaser that preceded Episode I.

5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Me and my dad saw this in theater, actually pretty underrated film.

R.D. likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I remember being disappointed that no one had the courage to commit to actually naming it "Planet Bob."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    BigAl6ft6, R.D., Coruscant and 2 others like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, with a screenplay by Joss Whedon, John August, and Ben Edlund you have to assume that John August wrote the bulk of the screenplay and the other two guys gave some tone and quips... but that "Bob" line was 100% Edlund, and no one will convince me that's not true. It's also, unsurprisingly, my favorite line in the movie...

BigAl6ft6 and R.D. like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It really had a great all-star cast from top to bottom. I actually bought the DVD of it several years ago. I rewatch it every so often for the heck of it; even though I could practically cite every line verbatim.

Personal favorite scene for me (spoiler as it's the end)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    R.D. likes this.
  9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember this movie fondly, I liked the sci-fi setting and it had a memorable opening (there goes earth). Too bad it doesn't get much fame but then a lot of good movies fly under the radar.

R.D. likes this.
  10. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Another greatly animated and creative scene for me is the ice field chase. Hell, I also like the zero-gravity action bits earlier on--you couldn't really do that in live-action, or at least not as good back then.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finally watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, interesting watch, vague Firefly overtones actually, I think the big aliens were needed and humans as near extinction event was cool. Name of the planet at the end is the best bit.

12. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Surprise surprise, Whedon was one of the writers. ;)

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, he got a writing credit for this movie, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that a lot of his script wasn’t used.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, believe it or not -- I may have been wrong. Sounds like August wasn't responsible for the bulk of it... possibly Whedon was.

https://johnaugust.com/2013/secret-and-metaphors-in-titan-a-e-revealed

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    One of you is clearly lying [face_plain]

dp4m likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Honestly I hated it, tried to rewatch it a year ago and I couldn't get more than 30 minutes into it.