main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Titans [DC Universe]

Discussion in 'Community' started by cerealbox, Aug 5, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    To be fair, the beast boy casting call list said open casting but Asian descent preferred.

That's how I knew

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "casted"?

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So my friend has been pestering me for the past couple weeks to get me to watch this show now that it's on HBO Max. He's loving Season 3 so far and he keeps raving about it.

I finally gave in and I'm two episodes into Season 1. It has a very CW feel and I'm very tempted to quit it, but I might give it a couple more episodes.

So far I don't care about Rachel yet and the show hasn't told me why I should. In episode 1 she plays the victim that needs help and then jumps to giver of advice to someone she's known for a day (or two) in episode 2. Everyone wants her, but that doesn't make her interesting. And whatever is inside her seems to only be a "problem" when the plot says it needs to be a problem. Amazing how she didn't have any bad dreams when her and Dick stayed in the hotel room.

Also, what I found very plot convenient, was when the purple haired girl with amnesia? burned three people alive with her intense fire, but managed to only burn the bottom of the picture of Rachel on a desk. I'm pretty sure if the heat was intense enough to kill/cremate the bad guys, it would have burned or melted everything in that office.

The broody "acting" by Dick and general soap opera acting from the other characters is also distracting. It's all about that CW feel that is not appealing to me at all and makes the show hard to enjoy, especially since the show is supposed to make me care about the characters.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I didn't know this show had its own thread, but Titans is the furthest thing from an old-school "CW" show. Gore, language, sex, you name it.

Seasons 2 and now 3 are much better than the start, if you end up sticking with it. "Rachel" is Raven, and the "purple haired girl with amnesia" is Starfire, if you have a base familiarity with the Teen Titans.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Man, I really hate Jason. Hated him before but his Red Hood turn has made him truly a villain worth despising lol

6. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Season 1 was meh but season 2 was good.

I wish hawk and dove had gotten their spinoff. Not because they are good but because i wish their characters would get a mercy killing every time they are on screen. The actors suck, and their entire plot has panned out every other episode in its entirety only to immediately be re-done again.

Season 3 good so far except hawk and dove.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    right now he's looking beyond redemption

tricking dove into killing hawk in the manner that he did is the joker's brand of evil

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    I forgot this happened. Gonna get interesting.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I may stick with it as it's kind of starting to get better. I hope the show gives us more emphasis on Dick and less on Rachel. I just watched 106, the one with Jason Todd, and that was fairly decent even though the villain was lame. I recognized the Maroni name from Nolan's Batman but didn't realize they fought with poison projectiles -- that was odd. "Two Face" was mentioned so not sure if he's working with them or if they were responsible for his face and it was a reference to "Batman Forever".

I have no base familiarity with Teen Titans so I have no idea who Raven and Starfire are, nor Hawk or Dove from the 102. I also have not watched any of "Doom Patrol", so I was surprised that they were introduced in the fourth episode of Titans. It reminded me how Flash was introduced in Arrow and then he got his own series but I think that was after a full season of Arrow.

My friend also said Season 2 & 3 are better so here's hoping. [face_coffee] I'm just glad the seasons aren't 22 episodes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Well I made it S2E1, which was more of a S1 finale than the S1 finale was. Re: the S1 finale - I wasn't a fan of them devoting an entire episode to a "dream" but I did like seeing Batman kill people.

I don't recall the word "Titans" said at all during S1, but I think it was said 4-5 times in the first episode of season 2. I didn't understand until the end where it showed Dick, Donna, Dawn, and Hawk as the first group of Titans in California?

So based on what I've seen so far, this is what happened prior...
    (1) Dick and Donna met when they were teenagers so the two of them probably start the Titans (assumption)
    (2) We know how Dawn and Hank meet, they hook up, but then Dawn says that shouldn't do that again
    (3) So Dawn and Hank remain friends, and they meet up with Dick and Donna at some point -- not sure how they connect -- maybe Dick and Donna go to Chicago when they see Hank on the news (assumption)
    (4) Dawn decides to become a superhero Dove at some point
    (5) Dawn and Dick start dating at some point
    (6) They all move to California at some point
    (7) Dick and Dawn's relationship ends
    (8) Hank and Dawn have a 2nd go at a relationship
    (9) Dick quits and becomes a cop, Donna stops and moves to NY, and Dawn and Hawk move back to Chicago to the exact same apartment that Hank currently lives in?

My friend Season 2 opens up a lot so we'll see.

11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So it turns out that there is a reason why they were being so cryptic and sparse with the information between Dick, Donna, Dawn, and Hank. It's because the whole point of Season 2 of Titans is that they're doing the whole season 1 Arrow thing. "After 5 years on a hellish island..." has been replaced with "5 years ago we shuttered the SanFran Titans headquarters and team because..." and each episode we get a flashback to fill in the holes of Dick, Donna, Dawn, and Hank. The missing pieces of their backstory have been filled with Garth aka Aqualad, and villains' Dr. Light, Wintergreen, and DeathStroke (who I'm semi familiar with as he was used on Arrow) and a few other characters to push the plot along as well as setup future stories.

The younger crew is semi sidelined so the OG crew can shine which I'm fine with for now. I'm sure as the past is revealed, they will hopefully grow as a team and not remain stagnant.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I watched the first episode of season three, and it didn't waste anytime into getting some really juicy.

And it was wonderful to see Grayson in his Nightwing gear. Grayson is the main reason why I like this show. I mean, this is the first live action adaptation of Nightwing and I'm here for that, as he gets out of the shadow of the Bat and steps into the spotlight.

TiniTinyTony and heels1785 like this.
  13. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    This is basically why I’m watching as well.

Nightwing Chronicles.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like Grayson's reaction to meeting Jason Todd and their interaction thereafter with each other. I thought the show used the two characters wonderfully in season two, being two sides of the same coin; Grayson being angry and resentful towards Batman, while Todd is loving being Batman's sidekick. It's that trope of a jaded veteran paired with a enthusiastic rookie.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Rachel is the worst.

[​IMG]

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Titans is back with 2 new episodes for Season 4. Anyone watching this hot mess?

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Did he say boo or Boo-urns?

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Man, this show is painful to watch. None of the characters have any personality.

403: This week's episode brought to you by "wandering around".
    Enjoy wandering around in the woods? - join Gar and Rachel.
    Enjoy wandering around in a lab and typing on a computer? - join "Robin" and Superboy in Star Labs
    Enjoy wandering around in a random room with lasers or a night club with lasers? - join Dick and new character Jinx