main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

tl;dr

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Not George Lucas, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not George Lucas

Not George Lucas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 20, 1998
    I've noticed a recent trend of responding to threads with just tl;dr, which stands for too long; didn't read. I find this practice useless and insulting. Case in point, I recentlt posted a thread in JCC (called What I Just Did), and I received a few comments basically stating that it was too long to read. It's my opinion, and I believe you can see the reasoning behind this, that if a thread or post is too long for you to read, it's too long to respond to. If you're not going to bother reading it, don't tell me. Just go on your merry way. Telling my that bit of self-discovery that took my literally 100 minutes on isn't worth read isn't just pointless. It's insulting. Can we please put a stop to this?

Thanks.

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    tl;dr

(obligatory)

Yeah, it's annoying. But really people are just trying to get a rise out of you more than anything. Reacting like this is exactly what they want. Just ignore it if you can.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    tl,dr jumped the shark months ago. Therefore, it has several months left of use on the JC.

Amazing.

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It seems like its been a while since you've been here. You've got the old style of doing things. I like that.

As for tl;dr, well, that just isn't a very commonly used term here anymore. And it is very rare when it is.

The thing is, no one really reads anything anymore. If something is appealing to me, i read it, like i did your thread in the YJCC. But you can't make everyone read it.

By the way, i thought your thread was hillarious. :D

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    my impression of the YJCC is a place meant for short and sweet posts, a place to have some fun.

i opened your thread, but didn't read it. (sorry :( ) And, as you can see, i didn't bother posting tl/dr. heck, until recently, i didn't even know what it meant, cause i was tl/dr'ed and i was curious.

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Think of it as a maturity filter. Anyone who uses it in response to someone's post has proven their lack of maturity.

7. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    If it's too long to read, then don't read it. You don't have to tell the world that.

It's been my experience that it's used mostly by people who like to put others down.

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Not George Lucas, you should just ignore it and move on. The YJCC isn't the place to expect mature, respectful replies. If you let it get to you you'll go crazy.

9. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    What's wrong with showing a little respect, even in the YJCC? What's wrong with having a few threads with a long post?

I see no problem with the above. Just because Community is a fast-paced forum, doesn't mean there can't be long threads and it also doesn't mean that we can say anything rude we want to each other. tl;dr annoys me. I ignore it, but that doesn't mean that everyone doing it is right.

10. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I'd rather see someone post, tl,dr then someone just to post just a smilely, like a plain face smiley.

(Watch the person below me post that)

11. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    [face_plain]

(teehee?)

12. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Think of it as a maturity filter. Anyone who uses it in response to someone's post has proven their lack of maturity.

Amen.

As far as I'm concerned, posting this is baiting. There is no reason to post it other than to try to piss people off.

If you think a post is too long, don't read it, but leave the poster alone.

13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Damn straight.

tl;dr annoys me. I ignore it, but that doesn't mean that everyone doing it is right.

I totally agree.

I don't see tl;dr that often, but when I learned what it meant, I was more than a little annoyed. I've never had it posted in response to one of my topics (then again, I've started maybe... 6 topics on the whole of the JC. 12 if you include fanfics) but if someone did it to me, I'd consider it definite baiting.

If you didn't read the post, then just hit your browser's Back button and find a different thread to not read and not post in.

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    There is no reason to post it other than to try to piss people off.

I don't think that's true. I think most people do it because they're trying to be funny and/or e-cool. But as I said, it jumped the shark months ago, and it wasn't really all that funny then, either.

Amazing.

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    The point stands, though: It serves no purpose, and some people perceive it as being rude and offensive.

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    We should add it to the BAD ACRONYMS list along with all the other ones that have such valid reasons for being on there. [face_plain]

17. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I totally can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    [face_plain] = sarcasm alert

seriously.

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Oh, okay. Thanks - I'll keep that in mind for the future.

20. The_Architect10

The_Architect10 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    This phrase is actually bannable on another internet forum I go to.

21. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Really? Wow. I didn't know that. In all honesty, the ONLY forum I've seen the acronym used is this one.

22. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Maybe that's 'cos all the users at the other forums who said it had been banned. [face_laugh]

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    LOL.

Well, I'd expect to at least SEE it (and then see the user... vanish!). :p

24. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    [Shrugs] Maybe they already had, I dunno. Bloody good thing too if you ask me. ;) I hate seeing 'tl;dr', regardless of whether it's in response to one of my posts, a friend's, or that of someone I don't know. It's just a form of trolling, and not a particularly clever, witty or original one.

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, I think we can agree on that much. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.