main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph To Boldly Trek Where Many Geeks Have Gone Before- VOY: Drive, Repression & Imperfection

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 25, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (2/2 due to media embed limits)

UPN trailer:

Aliens Run Amok Week:

VOY 521: Juggernaut
    -Premise: Voyager finds a damaged Malon freighter which is about to explode and contaminate an entire sector with deadly radiation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: It's the Juggernaught, *****!
    [​IMG]

Return of the garbage dumpers. Can we have the Vidiians back?

Chakotay trying to keep Tores in check is a pretty good First Officer moment for him since he's able to reach her "I need your expertise on this mission. Not your bad mood.";

So that's kind of interesting. I think this might be the first time the use of a tricorder has had a direct adverse reaction to something as the result of the actual scanning signals (also kind of an acknowledgment that they aren't just passive scanners but emit something- which makes sense but it isn't a tech facet that has really been explored).

I like the momentum of the moment where they're running just prior to the airlock opening. A shame they couldn't keep that running (literally) another airlock set or so before the malfunction kicks in.

Well, the shadow of the "creature" gives us a silhouette that is obviously a Malon suit so, so much for the threat being a creature. Music is pretty good (or at least more noticeable) during the creature's approach. With all the fumes and sweat and such while being on edge with anticipation of facing an alien threat, Torres is kinda putting off a Ripley vibe here.

The shot of Voyager tailing the freighter and then peeling off is pretty sweet. Random observation after the puff of smoke from the small power surge that went off behind Janeway and Tuvok but, given how often stuff like that happens, you gotta think that the bridge is gonna smell like burning electronics pretty often. That's gotta linger even when you have recycling environmental systems and venting...

Sonic shower in action. Not sure we’ve seen that before.

So, a surprisingly good Malon episode. I admit I had low expectations going in based on their inclusion. I mean, I don't hate the Malon but they don't elicit much excitement usually as antagonists or characters. However, the radiation poisoned core worker does bring up a bit more of Voyager's embracing-of-horror roots. Also a very good Torres episode. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Due to a change in air slot, the initial airing ratings for this episode were the worst of the series. This is the final appearance of the Malon (I guess that effectively contains them as a 5th season-exclusive species, having been introduced in the season premiere and then appearing in two other episodes during the season). That’d actually have been a nice pattern for Voyager to have tackled with their show premise: a new villain species per season to focus on and then move past. S1: Kazon, S2: Anything But More Kazon (bump up the Vidiians), S3: Vidiians (or, if they get bumped forward top S2, bring the Hirogen forward), S4: Borg (and only Season 4!), Season 5: Malon, etc. Of course, that would require more planning.

There's a possible continuity error with the Malon being encountered at this point in the Delta Quadrant, given that Voyager has used the slipstream drive in Timeless and transwarp coil in Dark Frontier to shave 25 years off their journey since last encountering them, which would suggest that Voyager should be far beyond the Malon's reach. In-universe they may have found another vortex like the one from Night, out of universe? I'd suggest watching this episode earlier in the season, if possible. Not sure where just yet, but I would image before at least Dark Frontier/use of the transwarp coil, if not Timeless (to have it before the slipstream drive use).

Up Next: 522: Someone to Watch Over Me, 523/524: Relativity, 524/523: 11-59 & 525: Warhead.

Voyager Resources:

Torpedoes: (Starting with 38, as of The Cloud)
    -1 fired in The Cloud (37 remain)
    -3 fired in Alliances (34 remain)
    -7 fired in Dreadnought (27 remain)
    -3 fired in Resolutions (24 remain)
    -3 fired + 1 "Dispersal Pattern Sierra" (5 torpedos according to Yesterday's Enterprise, but we'll assume a minimum of 2) in Basics, Part I (between 16 to 19 remain)
    -1 fired in Future's End, Part II (between 15 to 18 remain)
    -1 fired in Rise (between 14 to 17 remain)
    -4 fired in Scorpion, Part II (between 10 to 13 remain) (complement claimed to be 32, which would leave 28 if that were correct)
    -5 fired in Hope and Fear (between 5 to 8 remain) (23 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as flare + 4 fired in 1st volley + 5 fired in 2nd volley + 3 deployed to collapse vortex in Night (between -8 to -5 remain (10 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as depth charge in Thirty Days (between -9 to -6 remain) (9 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -2 fired in Counterpoint (between -11 to -8 remain) (7 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 detonated in Dark Frontier, Part I (-12 to -9 remain) (6 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired in Dark Frontier, Part II (between -18 to -15 remain) (0 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired ("full spread") in Think Tank (between -24 to -21 remain) (-6 if Scorpion claims were correct)

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My biggest issue with Think Tank was Jason Alexander. Every time he was on screen, all I could see was George saying "I am Constanza, Lord of Idiots!"

Bor Mullet and PCCViking like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm used to the guest stars approach and I enjoyed seeing him in a different role. Plus I was never in love with Seinfeld- I enjoyed the show and watched it sometimes but i don't have every episode ingrained in me beyond a handful of key ones.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Upcoming episodes, Someone to Watch Over Me and Relativity are also legit great Voyager episodes. Season 5 I think is the strongest of the series.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given events in the opening to the first episode of Picard a week ago, the opening to the second episode being reviewed in this post is a happy coincidence.

Seven of Nine Week:

UPN, "All Woman":

VOY 522: Someone to Watch Over Me
    -Premise: The Doctor teaches Seven about dating and romantic relationships, but then realizes that he may have developed feelings for her himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments:
    "How the hell do you know when we're having intimate relations?"
    "There is no one on Deck 9, Section 12 who doesn't know when you are having intimate relations.”

Janeway wearing the TNG dress uniform is surprising. Though I think when they scripted Seven helping Janeway add the pip to her uniform that the writer thought it'd be on her neck, not her chest which would (presumably) be easy to affix to one’s self.

A Kids in the Hall ambassador. I feel like the Doctor's presentation of dating could be misconstrued as a guide to dating for the stereotypical nerd/Trekkie in the form of a how-to video. Seven singing feels dubbed? “The bet" cliche setup, sigh.

"Seven, please state the nature of the medical emergency."
    "I have a date."

The sci-fi question here is if the "age" difference between the Doctor and Seven really matter given that his appearance is only programmed? And yet, he has a more developed maturity, mentally/emotionally speaking, than she does, so does that offset the programmed-age-appearance and put us back to square one with an age gap of a different nature?

"Neelix- I want you to meet Alandra and Tria!"
    "What are you doing?"
    "I'm sampling yet another entree on the menu of pleasure that you have opened up for me."
    "I checked today's menu and they're not on it.”.

And "the bet" cliche revelation plays out as expected, sigh. Doctor Friend Zone.

So, the episode is sweet at times (and I do like what Jeri does with Seven here) with some sustaining character interaction but is ultimately by the numbers, generally, in terms of cliche "dating coach" plotlines. Average.

Trivia: Jeri Ryan and Robert Picardo performed some their own singing in this episode (I was wrong). Directed by Robert Duncan McNeill. The episode was filmed not knowing what the ending would be as it had not been written yet. The scene with Janeway and Seven in the ready room was not present in the original US airing of the episode. The image of an ovum and sperm is from Look Who's Talking. This is the last appearance of the Chez Sandrine holoprogram.

Seven of Nine is the Hottest Thing in the 24th Century:

Seven of Nine Week:

VOY 523/524: Relativity
    -Premise: Seven of Nine is recruited by a starship from the 29th century to save Voyager from being destroyed in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -T2Q Comments: Ooh- this has gotta be Utopia Planitia Shipyards, yes? Now, that's a pretty sight. Also, since this is seemingly a flashback what with Voyager being here, I think that would actually make this the first chronological appearance on the Akira-class literally rolling off the assembly lines, being that this would be a couple years before First Contact and the Dominion War.

"Schematics never fully prepare you for the real thing."

This whole sequence feels like it could make for a Caretaker: Extended Edition addition. Well, up until Seven shows up, lol (though cutting around the suspicious cliffhanger glance she gives and leaving her in would make for a fun bit of time travel editing). The EMH being a new system they're "thinking about installing" across the fleet. I'm not sure that would jive well with Crusher swearing to never use one, which implied it had always been there and not just for the last year or two.

It’s actually kind of an interesting parallel- we, the viewer, only get introduced to the Captain coming aboard their ship for the first time in stories involving time travel for both Picard and Janeway (and, less directly, via Kelvinverse, Kirk).

Major Ryan from Babylon 5 here as Braxton (a change of actor from Braxton's previous appearances). Seven of Nine basically WebMD'd herself years before there was ever a WebMD (from a production viewpoint).

"Next time your human physiology fails you, don't consult the database, just call me."
    "You are the database."
    "With two legs and a splendid beside manner."

Voyager Go Boom #5 (though, technically, it happens at least twice more offscreen).

"So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg."
    "You're welcome."

“Avoid. Contact. With Janeway.” Braxton mentions three significant temporal events he’s had to clean up involving Janeway. The first is Future’s End. The second, as the later dialogue reference to the Takara Sector established, is Timeless. The third could, retrospectively, be referring to Endgame.

“Tempis fugit.” (‘Time flies’, in a sort of ‘carpe diem’ meaning).

From Seven’s POV she probably wouldn’t assume that the Future Seven she meets is wearing a uniform as a disguise so I wonder how much it would affect her understanding of her possible future to see herself without any visible Borg implants and wearing a full Starfleet uniform?

“You again!” For a guy who is a time agent, a Captain of a timeship and a temporal saboteur, he doesn’t seem all that bright when it comes to time travel- because, verb tense issues aside, encountering Janeway on her ship is something he should probably expect when he keeps time-transporting back onto Janeway’s ship.

This procedure to “reintegrate” the (*eventual) three Braxtons for trial could be what TOS did in their nonsensical resolution to the Air Force pilot in Tomorrow is Yesterday.

"Ok, let's get started before my headache gets any worse." HARD CUT TO PAST EVENTS. [face_laugh]

“Oh, Captain? Braxton was right about one thing- Voyager shows up on our sensors far too often. Try to avoid time travel." but then what would they do for a series finale?

"See you in the 24th century."
    "I look forward to it- or should I say 'backward'?"
    "Don't get started."

[face_rofl]

This episode is a nightmare to time plot, [face_laugh]. Some events that initially seem to become alternate timelines end up being reverted to prime while the things that initially become “new prime” become alternate.

So, this connects to other time travel episodes as well as Caretaker, so for those insights into Voyager's past, the Federation's future and a semi-conclusion to the Braxton arc (I think)- albeit played by a different actor, I'd say its Definitely Essential.

Trivia: The Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards shot in the script was originally only going to show a single drydock with Voyager alone but the FX artists at Foundation Imaging put in their own personal time to produce rough drafts of their ideas for the sequence which were then approved, and further time to include half-constructed models of ships and a satellite photo of the actual Utopia Planitia from NASA. Mojo expressed regret that it would only be seen on blurry TV screens and not the HD resolution they had created them in.

Seven of Nine beams back to a time during a Kazon attack on Voyager in 2372 but not one that we’ve seen in an existing episode. This is most likely during the backstory to Season 2’s Alliances, where Chakotay mentions three previous Kazon attacks having happened offscreen recently. Stock footage from Kazon attacks is taken from both Alliances and Basics, Part I.

This was the final episode that Nick Sagan was involved in writing in his capacity as story editor for the fifth season. Jeri Ryan had participated in an online chat 3-4 days before she got the script for this episode where she was asked when they'd see Seven in a Starfleet uniform and she answered that you wouldn't since she wasn't Starfleet. Then she got the call for the wardrobe fitting a few days later.

This is the first time we’ve seen Lt. Joe Carey, the Assistant Chief Engineer of Voyager, since Season 1’s State of Flux. He will be seen again in Season 6’s Fury, but in another scene not set in the present. He makes one final appearance in Season 7’s Friendship One. As a result, despite appearing in episodes during 4 of Voyager’s 7 seasons, he is never seen in the time period between mid-Season 1 and the near-to-end of Season 7.

Captain Braxton’s uniform suggests that, at some point in the future (or one possible future), the Command division will change to blue uniforms (or that timeships are staffed/commanded by Science division officers).

There are several potential continuity errors due to set changes over the seasons not being reverted, anachronistic props and other details but, then, hey, time travel...

TBC due to media embed limits....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (Continued from previous post)

Dark Seduction Week:

An Ancestor’s Dark Secret:

VOY 524/523: 11-59
    -Premise: Kathryn Janeway discovers the truth about one of her famed ancestors, Shannon O'Donnel, realizing that who Shannon was differs vastly from what Janeway had believed all her life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Voyager Storyteller Edition. Of course this Millennium Gate is already firmly into alternate universe/timeline territory- surprising given that this was produced almost concurrent to when it was set (1.5 years in the future). Miss O'Donnell not knowing about the construction of a complex that will be seen from space seems unlikely.

"Some day you might enjoy a little Seven of Nine...Point Five running around, heh...orrrr not. Or not"

"Ensign Paris, you have yet to elaborate on your family origin." It's caught up in rights issues predating our spin-off.

"Then why are you here?"
    "It was the cookies"
    "Cookies?"

[​IMG]

This "happy ending" is a bit odd- surely they'd need to sign something before the deadline instead of just cheering and hugging?

"If it weren't for Shannon O'Donnell, you would never have joined Starfleet."
    "Yeah, and I would never have gotten you all stuck here in the Delta Quadrant."
    "It gave us time to get to know each other."

Meanwhile Seven is like '"And saved me from the Borg. But, sure, let's go with 'get to know each other’”.

So, while a few nice moments are here, this feels very Hallmark Channel in general and not particularly compelling. Average.

Trivia: Based on an undeveloped Q story from John de Lancie that would have involved Q and Janeway's ancestor in the year 2000 or possibly Janeway's ancestor and Guinan. They originally set out to tell a story without seeing Voyager at all- to tell a Star Trek story without any science fiction but the script ultimately wasn't working, so a third of the episode ended up being set on Voyager to ground the story.

Harry Kim's story tells the story of a sleeper ship set in 2210, which contradicts the later preceding continuity established by Enterprise which shows Earth had no need for sleeper ships by that point in time.

Seven's comments on preferring stasis to being the single person awake aboard a ship might connect back to her experiences of being in such a situation in S4's "One”. The photo of the elder Shannon Janeway around 2050 does not show the destruction or World War III or its aftermath.

The Ultimate Smart-Bomb is About to Get Smarter:

One Explosive Showdown:

VOY 525: Warhead
    -Premise: A sentient alien missile takes over The Doctor's program and tries to carry out its mission of mass destruction.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: A look at the night shift on Voyager. Always liked those moments when we got them on the Enterprise. Having the episode titled "Warhead" seems like it might be giving things away here.

"It could be a probe, or a communications device." or a warhead.

Voyager's shield and weapons fall from a single shot- that seems pretty arbitrary. The warp capable warheads are both neat in concept and visual- surprised it hasn't been used before.

Nanoprobes to the rescue again!

The overall dilemma is pretty good for a Harry episode and, though the resolution may be spelled out a bit more than needed, it's a Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Inspired by news reports on the post-Cold War Russian nuclear arsenal and how easily they could fall into the black market at the time. The Doctor is wearing his mobile emitter this whole episode, yet is affected by the destabilization to the sickbay holographic emitters.

Up Next: 526/601: Equinox, Parts I & II.

Time Travel Log:

(Note: Some of the previous "Before and After" entries weren't listed correctly, though their data was correct. I've cleaned them up so that they're now listed correctly in addition to the new entries)

(I've also made this collapsible via aspoiler tag now, because this episode alone has ballooned the length by approx 30%)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 3.5 Billion Years Ago; Jean Luc-Picard & Q; from alternate-2370)
    -TOS: All Our Yesterdays (2700 BC, Sarpedion Ice Age; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TOS: All Our Yesterdays (Undefined 17th Century-esque Sarpeidon; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TNG: Time's Arrow, part I (1893; NCC-1701-D crew; from 2368)
    -TOS: The City on the Edge of Forever (1930: NCC-1701 crew; from 2267)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (1930; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Little Green Men (1947; Quark's Treasure crew; from 2372)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (1967; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (1967; Aeon; from 2373)
    -TOS: Assignment Earth (1968: NCC-1701; from 2268)
    -TOS: Tomorrow is Yesterday (1969: NCC-1701; from 2267)
    -ST4: The Voyage Home (1986: The Bounty crew, formerly of NCC-1701; from 2286)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (1996; NCC-74656; from 2372)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part II (1996; Aeon; from 29th Century)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part I (2024; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (2024; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (2048; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -ST8: First Contact (2063; NCC-1701-E & Borg Sphere; from 2373)
    -DS9: Time's Orphan (2074; Molly O'Brien & alternate Molly O'Brien; from 2374)
    -TOS: The Tholian Web (2154 (Mirror Universe): NCC-1764 Defiant; from 2268)
    -DS9: Children of Time (alternate 2173; NX-74205 Defiant; from 2373)
    -DIS: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad (2256; NCC-1031 Discovery; timeloop from 2256)
    -DIS: What’s Past is Prologue (2257; NCC-1031 Discovery; from 9 months earlier in 2257)
    -TOS: The Naked Time (2266: NCC-1701 goes back in time 3 days; from 2266)
    -DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations (2268: NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2373)
    -DS9: Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night (2349; Kira Nerys (via Orb of Time); from 2374)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 2364; Jean Luc-Picard; from alternate-2370)
    -TNG: Time Squared (2365: Picard goes 6 hours into the past; from 2365)
    -TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise (2366 (Standard & FKW Universes); NCC-1701-C goes forward through a temporal rift; from 2344)
    -TNG: Captain's Holiday (2366; Vorgons; from 27th Century, approx. 2666)
    -TNG: Future Imperfect (False-2383; Will Riker. NCC-1701-D; from 2367)
    -TNG: A Matter of Time (2368; Berlinghoff Rasmussen; from 22nd Century, using 26th Century technology)
    -TNG: Cause and Effect (2368; NCC-1701-D ends up 17 days in the future after timeloop; from 2368)
    -TNG: Time's Arrow, part II (2368; Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens; from 1893)
    -VOY: Before and After (2369; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2370)
    -TNG: Firstborn (2370; Alexander; from 2410)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2370; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2371)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (2370; Jean Luc-Picard from alternate-2370)
    -VOY: Relativity (2371; Seven of Nine; from 29th Century Period 1)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2371; Alternate-Braxton & Seven of Nine; from Alternate 2372)

-VOY: Before and After (alternate 2371; Kess (mentally) from 2373)
    -VOY: Time and Again (2371; NCC-74656 crew go back in time 1 day; from alternate-2371)
    -DS9: Visionary (2371; Miles flashes forward in time between 3.5 & 5 hours six times; from 2371)
    -VOY: Eye of the Needle (2371; data and Romulan; from 2351)
    -ST7: Generations (2371; Picard and Kirk through the Nexus from 2371 & 2293)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2372; Alternate Braxton & Seven of Nine; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively)
    -VOY: Relativity (Prime 2372; Prime Braxton & Janeway; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively)

-VOY: Future's End, Part I (2373; Aeon; from Alternate 29th Century)
    -VOY: Before and After (2373; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2374)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2374; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2378)
    -DS9: Time's Orphan (2374; alternate Molly O'Brien; from alternate 2084)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2375; Alternate Braxton from 29th Century Period 2 & Crew from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively [both offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-II 2375; Crew from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 1[offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-III 2375; Lt. Ducane & Unknown Crewmember from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 1)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-IV 2375; Alternate-Braxton & Seven of Nine; from 2371)
    -VOY: Relativity (Prime 2375; Janeway & Seven; from 29th Century Period 1)

-VOY: Before and After (alternate 2378; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2379)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 2395; Jean Luc-Picard & Q; from alternate-2370)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate 2375 [offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate-II 2375 [offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine; from 2371)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate-III 2375)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine, Janeway & Alternate-Braxton; from Alternate-IV 2375)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Janeway & Prime-Braxton; from 2372)

Alternate Universe Log:

(likewise, starting to get a bit long, so tagged for length)
    -DIS: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad (~56 alternate 2256s resulting from Mudd timeloop)
    -DIS: Into the Forest I Go (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: Despite Yourself (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: The Wolf Inside (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: Vaulting Ambition (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: What’s Past is Prologue (Mirror Universe)
    -TOS: The Alternative Factor (Anti-Matter Universe)
    -TOS: Mirror, Mirror (Mirror Universe)
    -TOS: The Tholian Web (Mirror Universe & "Solo-Kirk" Universe)
    -TNG: We'll Always Have Paris (Simultaneous Continuum universes, "Manheim Dimension")
    -TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise (Federation-Klingon War universe)
    -TNG: Remember Me (Beverly Crusher-created Warp Bubble Reality)
    -TNG: Cause and Effect (failed timeloop occurrences)
    -TNG: Timescape (aliens from alternate timeline, alternate outcome of Enterise's destruction)
    -TNG: Parallels ("Original" universe, "Surprise Party w/Chocolate Cake" universe, "Surprise Party w/Yellow Cake" universe, "9th place Concussion" universe, "Blue Dress/Moved Battle Painting" universe, "Blue Uniform/Moved Starship Painting"; "Married w/no kids" universe, "First Officer Worf/Married with Children" universe; "Borg-Controlled" universe, "Altered Original" universe)
    -DS9: Crossover (Mirror Universe)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 3.5 Billion Years Ago, alternate 2364, alternate-2370 & alternate 2395)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Parts I & II (Alternate Federationless 2371)
    -DS9: Visionary (Alternate 2371 outcomes including the destruction of DS9; resulting from Miles' timeflashes)
    -DS9: Through the Looking Glass (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Emanations (Vhnori dimension)
    -ST7: Generations (alternate "Destructon of Veridian III" timeline)
    -VOY: Non Sequitur (alternate Kim Earth)
    -DS9: The Visitor (alternate death-of-Sisko timeline)
    -DS9: Shattered Mirror (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (Alternate 29th Century)
    -VOY: Before and After (Alternate 2369, 2370, 2371, 2374, 2378 & 2379)
    -DS9: DS9: Children of Time (alternate 2173 through 2373 for energy barrier-encased planet)
    -VOY: Year of Hell, Parts I & II (Alternate 2374s)
    -DS9: Resurrection (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Timeless (Alternate 2375 "original crash" & "repeat crash" timelines, Alternate 2390)
    -DS9: The Emperor's New Cloak (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2371 “tour interrupted”, 2372 “Janeway finds Seven”, Alternate I-III 2375 “Voyager destroyed” & Alternate-IV 2375 “Ping Pong interrupted”)

And, because listing all those entries in chronological placement order can still leave things in Relativity confusing, here's everything laid out in order:

Mapping VOY: Relativity:

-Alternate Braxton travels from 29th Century Period 2 to alternate 2372 (Kazon attack).
    -Seven recruited from Alternate 2375 to 29th Century Period 1. Sent somewhere in time. Mission fails. Seven dies somehow.
    -Seven recruited from Alternate-II 2375 to 29th Century Period 1. Sent to 2371 (drydock tour). Mission fails. Returns to 29th Century Period 1 from 2371. Seven dies.
    -Seven recruited from Alternate-III 2375 to 29th Century Period 1. Sent to Alternate 2372 (Kazon attack, Seven discovered) tracking Alternate Braxton.
    -Seven and Alternate Braxton jump from Alternate 2372 to Alternate 2371 (drydock tour interrupted).
    -Seven and Alternate Braxton jump from Alternate 2371 to Alternate-IV 2375 (Braxton captured, timeline contaminated).
    -Seven, Braxton & Janeway’75 brought forward from Alternate-IV 2375 to 29th Century Period 1.
    -Janeway’75 sent from 29th Century Period 1 to Prime 2372. Captures (now) Prime Braxton. Both return to 29th Century Period 1.
    -Janeway’75 and Seven sent back to (now) Prime 2375 and (presumably) “reintegrated”.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Posting this here since I wasn't sure it belonged in the threads for Picard or Discovery

Blobofat and Darth_Omega like this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I love Relativity for a few reasons.

It gives us a glimpse of what the future Federation will be like, having mastered time travel as well as pre crime laws apparently.

Shows the mental effects of time travel in an amusing but also interesting way.

Gives us a glimpse of what time cops do.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They practice leg day.

[​IMG]

An Unforgettable Showdown:

VOY 526: Equinox, Part I
    -Premise: Voyager finds another Federation starship, the USS Equinox, stranded in the Delta Quadrant. But they also find that the Equinox crew is harboring a dark secret.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Ah, looking forward to this one. The Equinox’s Nova-class has always been one of my favorite designs despite having never seen it in an episode before. There was a PC “game” called Starship Designer that had this as a ship option and it looked like a cooler version of Voyager. The corvette to Voyager’s minivan. The game itself sucked. You basically got to set your ship’s course and you watched a dot move along a map. Could never figure out how to do anything else in that game. Ah well, I got it for, like, 5 bucks at the time and I soon found out why, but i digress.

Man in Black/Agent Blake at the helm. “Captain Ransom”, really? Better than Captain Kidnap, I suppose. Then again, he’s played by John Savage, so I guess anything can go.

“What’s it doing in the Delta Quadrant?” Well, what are YOU doing in the Delta Quadrant?

Huh, I know they said the Nova-class isn’t designed for long range tactical missions, but it’s a lot smaller than I expected it to be- I figured it would be almost the size of Voyager, not half-or-less of Voyager’s size- though it does have the effect of making Voyager seem more advanced and powerful than it otherwise would at equal scale.

“Turkey platter” [face_laugh].

So, wait, her PTSD fear has to do with the possibility of a fissure opening up while they’re in there and not having any place to take cover… so her solution is to use the Jeffries tube, which is just as enclosed, if not more so?

So the Equinox is sort of the Pegasus to Voyager’s Galactica... Ron Moore clearly getting inspiration here.

Another evil doctor episode in a row with Warhead. If the Doctor’s mobile emitter is damaged or deactivated while he’s not on Voyager, isn’t he supposed to be lost?

As a two parter and one dealing with another crew, this one seems Definitely Essential

Trivia: This was the last VOY episode to air before the DS9 finale. Outside of knowing they wanted a cliffhanger for the season finale, the idea for the episode didn’t develop until about a week before they had to prep for shooting. It was subsequently written on the fly without outlining first. The initial idea came from Braga and though Menosky wasn’t finding appeal in it, he did like the idea of introducing multiple new characters.

Titus Welliver (MIB/Blake) agreed to play Max after finding out Savage was playing Ransom, as he was a long-time fan of Savage’s:

“My first day of work on 'Equinox' I thought, 'I've waited close to 30 years to be on a Star Trek set, and here I am.' I was like a little kid in a candy shop [....] I wish I had as much fun on all my jobs as I did on this one." “. Titus enjoyed the contrast of Max compared to his usual roles of playing crazy characters “"He's probably one of the most subtle characters that I've ever portrayed [....] I felt that in order to give Burke any sort of military presence I had to play him with an incredible stillness, and I found this made him appear that much stronger. It was a challenge to be present in scenes and have to remain calm and focused as opposed to being very animated and expressive.””).

1966-1999:

The Next Battle For Survival:

VOY 601: Equinox, Part II
    -Premise: Captain Janeway takes her quest for revenge against Captain Ransom to extremes when she orders the use of photon torpedoes against the Equinox, tractors a neutral ship, nearly kills an Equinox crewman during an interrogation, and relieves Chakotay of duty when he questions her actions.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Cool music in the teaser. Another evil doctor in a row. Even though it’s not exactly stated, I like how it’s presumably Chakotay’s Maquis past that made him effective at locating the Equinox’s hiding place.

“People are dying over here” - from the attack or from the aliens?.

“One more torpedo outta do it” which implies at least one more had been fired offscreen. Four torpedos fired at Equinox, a fifth impact shown from within Equinox & 2 more destroy the port nacelle.

A shame that the Equinox was doomed to not survive this two-parter simply by narrative necessities (in order words, like the Pegasus, the show simply isn’t titled Star Trek: Equinox). This would be the second best use of a dedication plaque in the franchise (Picard’s dust finger moment still being the top ;)). Five crew members added. As a conclusion, I think its Definitely Essential. Maybe no long term consequences (but, then, i don’t expect that from this show at this point) but pretty decent overall and some nice action.

Trivia: First VOY episode to air after the end of DS9 and, thus, the first VOY episode to be the sole Star Trek show on the air/in production.

This is the first VOY episode Ronald D. Moore worked on, following DS9’s conclusion. He was… not pleased (..ok, he hated it) with the execution/resolution of the character arcs:

“We finally landed on this idea that the two captains were going to go in opposite directions. Janeway was going to really feel the same kind of pressures and stresses that Ransom felt, and watch how it could turn a good, by-the-book Starfleet captain into what he had become. At the same time, his interaction with The Doctor and Seven of Nine would rekindle his humanity. It was this nice, double track approach, but it just got lost in the translation. It has no coherence. You're not sure what's really going on. You've got some potentially good scenes. The scenes between Janeway and Chakotay had some real fire to them, and you kind of felt like she is going off the deep end, a bit. Then she relieves him of duty, and there is this crisis of command between the two of them.

But at the end of the episode, it's just a shrug and a smile and off to the next. I just hit the ceiling. I remember writing in the margins, 'This is a total betrayal of the audience. This is wrong. You can't end the show like this. If you are going to do all this other stuff, you can't end the show like this, because it's not fair, because it's not true, and it just wouldn't happen.

The things that Janeway does in 'Equinox' don't work, because it's not about anything. She's not really grappling with her inner demons. She's not truly under the gun and suffering to the point where you can understand the decisions that she's made. She just gets kind of cranky and bitchy. She's having a bad day; these things keep popping around on the bridge, and we just keep cutting to shots of people grabbing phaser rifles and shooting, and hitting the red alert sign, over and over again. It doesn't signify anything.

It's kind of emblematic of the show. There is a lot of potential, and there is a lot of surface sizzle going on in a lot of episodes, but to what end? What are we trying to do? What are we trying to touch in the audience? What are we trying to say? What are the things we are trying to explore? Why are we doing this episode? That was my fundamental question. When I would say, 'What was the point of doing the first part?' there was never a good answer for that.

As a consequence, it was hard to come up with the ending to the show that has no beginning. You just start throwing things around. 'Two captains on different courses' at least sounds like an episode. At least there is something in it. Janeway will take something away from that experience, but not in the current version. What does she learn from that experience? I don't know how it's affected her. Chakotay, for all his trouble, he just goes back to work. There is no lingering problem with Janeway; there is no deeper issue coming to the fore. The show in general just kinda sucks frankly.”).

Up Next: 602: Survival Instincts, 603: Barge of the Dead, 604: Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy & 605/607: Dragon's Teeth.

Voyager Resources:

-3 fired + 1 "Dispersal Pattern Sierra" (5 torpedos according to Yesterday's Enterprise, but we'll assume a minimum of 2) in Basics, Part I (between 16 to 19 remain)
    -4 fired in Scorpion, Part II (between 10 to 13 remain) (complement claimed to be 32, which would leave 28 if that were correct)
    -5 fired in Hope and Fear (between 5 to 8 remain) (23 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as flare + 4 fired in 1st volley + 5 fired in 2nd volley + 3 deployed to collapse vortex in Night (between -8 to -5 remain (10 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as depth charge in Thirty Days (between -9 to -6 remain) (9 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -2 fired in Counterpoint (between -11 to -8 remain) (7 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 detonated in Dark Frontier, Part I (-12 to -9 remain) (6 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired in Dark Frontier, Part II (between -18 to -15 remain) (0 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired ("full spread") in Think Tank (between -24 to -21 remain) (-6 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -9 fired (“one more outta do it”=2,+4+1+2) in Equinox, Part II (between -33 to -30 remain) (-15 if Scorpion claims were correct)

Crew: (152 People, as of The 37's)
    -Death Wish: Quinn/Q2 joins the crew (153 remain), then commits suicide. (152 remain)
    -Alliances: Kurt Bandera, dead. (151 remain)
    -Meld: Darwin, dead. (150 remain)
    -Investigations: Michael Jonas, dead. (149 remain)
    -Deadlock: Wildman baby born. (150 remain)
    -Innocence: Ensign Bennet, dead. (149 remain)
    -Basics, Part I: Bridge crewmember shot, presumed dead (148 remain)
    -Basics, Part II: Hogan, Suder & blue uniform crewmember, dead (145 remain)
    -Warlord: Martin, dead. (144 remain)
    -Unity: Ensign Marie Kaplan, dead. (143 remain)
    -Distant Origin: Five unknown people potentially added to crew, as crew is stated to be 148. (143 or 148 remain)
    -(Latent Image; between Worst Case Scenario & Scorpion): Ahni Jetal, dead. (142 or 147 remain)*
    -Scorpion, part II: Seven of Nine joins the crew (143 or 148 remain)
    -Scientific Method: Ensign Roberta Luke, dead. (142 or 147 remain)
    -(Ashes to Ashes & Imperfection; between Hunters & Prey): Lyndsay Ballard, dead (141 or 146 remain)**
    -The Killing Game, Part I: Unidentified crew member, dead. (140 or 145 remain)
    -Living Witness: 3 unidentified crew members killed by the Kyrian incursion. (137 or 142 remain)
    -One: Unidentified officer, dead from nebula burns. (136 or 141 remain)
    -In the Flesh: Doctor totals 128 crew members ("2 down" + "125 to go" + the Doctor)- so either 8-13 people have died since (or offscreen during) The Killing Game or 8-13 people didn't need to be treated). (128, 136 or 141 remain)
    -Gravity: Tuvok cites 152 crew members aboard Voyager. (128, 136, 141 or 152 remain)
    -Equinox, Part I: Unidentified crew member killed by Equinox crew during escape. (127, 135, 140 or 151 remain)
    -Equinox, Part II: 2 unidentified crew members die during alien attack and a third dies from wounds in sickbay; 5 Equinox survivors join the crew. (129, 137, 142 or 153 remain)

*Season 5 episode affecting chronologically earlier events,
    **Season 6 & 7 episodes, listed here in advance for proper tally moving forward

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

VOY 602: Survival Instinct
    -Premise: Seven encounters three ex-Borg with whom she had been temporarily separated from the Collective eight years previously.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: This station hub looks very advanced- the space equivalent of metropolitan in a way. I mean, I know it could jst be random but it does give things a sense that Voyager is “closer to civilization” and no longer on the far edge of it.

[​IMG]

The busy visitor interior certainly captures the population density well- more so than past supposedly busy hubs like the one at the edge of the Nekrid Expanse, for example. Future (technically past) Admiral Forrest. Interesting idea to bring in other “of nine”s- gives some further context to Seven’s name and history.

The themed connection to the Doctor only seems partially organic to the episode but it’s an interesting parallel (though I find it odd to see them interacting knowing the dropped romance is still technically there). Wildman’s inclusion is more consistent but less relevant, IMO. And the Tom/Harry scene is a filler joke. Makes me think this story was coming up short in runtime and they had to pad it a bit.

Still, another notable Seven episode. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential - though the non-essentialness is a little hazier here

Trivia: One of two VOY episodes written by Ronald D. Moore. All three Borg actors have played previous Trek roles- Vaughn Armstrong, besides playing Forrest on ENT, appeared in two DS9 episodes, one TNG episode and several other VOY episodes. Bertila Damas played a Maquis on DS9 and Tim Kelleher played an Ensign in TNG AGT.

Marika mentions she served about the USS Excalibur, which was the ship Riker commanded in Redemption (also written by Moore). I guess that suggests that ship met its fate at some point. A member of the Evora species (from Insurrection) is seen in this episode- so somehow they got sent out into the Delta Quadrant also.

VOY 603: Barge of the Dead
    -Premise: B'Elanna Torres dies in a shuttle accident, and finds herself headed for Gre'thor, the afterlife for dishonored Klingons.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: The POV crash sequence is mildly interesting- and somewhat mirrors a sequence from Crusade on a tech procedure level (albeit it one that just makes sense independent of any franchise).

I like the visuals aboard the barge set- it’s obviously a set but it has the right dose of artificiality in the air to it. Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride, not the films).

“These are just symbols. It’s your unconscious mind trying to tell you something.”
    “Tell me what? That my mother is going to hell?”

Torres’s “change” is too rapid, IMO. It feels like that’s something that would have had to happen over several episodes for it to have been a believable development. The visuals of the Klingon hell are pretty neat- again, though obviously CGI (or possibly a model set with CGI enhancement), it has the right dose of artificiality to it to make it work (though now in a more 90’s PC game kind of way).

Having other crew members be guides or nightmare versions of themselves has become a little tired by this point (and the mom-as-Janeway fakeout doesn’t make much sense to begin with yet they continue to have her wear the uniform after Janeway is there), though at least they try to make them represent something towards the end (but not everyone has a function in this regard).

Overall, I liked some aspects of this episode but it felt like they had to rush into the concept in order to execute it within the timespan of a single episode. Average.

Trivia: The second, and final, VOY episode written by Moore. The plot line for this episode was originally developed as part of DS9 season 5’s Soldiers of the Empire, with Worf and the Klingon crew answering a distress call from a Klingon colony that leads them to the boatman and an exploration of the afterlife that them meeting a friend of Martok’s and Worf’s father, Mogh.

VOY 604: Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
    -Premise: Aliens attempt to spy on Voyager by tapping into The Doctor's program, but they mistakenly access his new "daydream" program and believe that to be the reality.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Though a digital day dream, one wonders if this is meant to actually address Tuvok’s Pon Far- certainly curious that they would do so as part of a joke.

The one alien here is named Phlox, but he is not a Doctor- just spying on one ;). The Doctor flirting with Seven here suggests that the romance angle hasn’t been 100% forgotten after all, although it’s now apparent that it’s every female flirting with him and not just her specifically. Activating the ECH followed by the pips materializing consecutively is hilariously heroic.

Warning: Warp Core breach a lot sooner than you think.[face_laugh][face_rofl]

Warning: Last chance to a hero, Doctor! Better get going!” that’s the most emotion we’ve ever gotten out of Majel as the computer voice.

I wonder if the Hierarchy will factor into future episodes at all? It will be difficult for them to bluff their way through it twice. Very fun episode- manages to find the right balance between serious and silly. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential. Still, high recommendation.

Trivia: The title of the episode is a nod to the book Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. A BBC adaptation included Patrick Stewart in a role. This was originally planned to be a Neelix episode.

With Picardo wearing the red command uniform, he now joins the select group of regulars who have worn all three division colors (he wore gold as both Zimmerman and the Zimmerman-based diagnostics program).

Phlox’s name here would be the inspiration for the name of the Enterprise character;

VOY 605/607: Dragon’s Teeth
    -Premise: When Voyager seeks refuge from alien attackers on the surface of a devastated planet, they find a small group of people who have survived in suspended animation for almost nine hundred years.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments:It’s like a maze.”
    “Be a good rat and find us the cheese.”

‘Underspace’, that’s new- like subspace, perhaps?

[​IMG]
    Interesting alien design for the Turei

Not 5 years, but 900.

Get a solid fix on those coordinates-I don’t want to beam into solid rock.

Ah, it is a subspace corridor. While it is cool to see this city’s ruins surrounding the parked Voyager, the wrecked nature of the city makes it difficult to get a sense of scale- as a result, it kinda makes Voyager feel really tiny.

They telegraph the betrayal/hostility too far in advance- it seems like the Neelix subplot/investigation should have led to that revelation instead.

Neat visual to see Voyager firing from the various phaser strips at the fighter swarms.

I doubt we’ve seen the last of them.” can we retire that phrase, please? (though, fun fact: essentially, we have seen the last of them, heh).

Although it did shave a small amount of time off of Voyager’s trip, it’s a standalone episode so we’ll go with Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Originally planned as a 2-hour telemovie, it was compressed down to a single episode during the writing process. However, by time the writing was complete, it was thought it would have been a better as the 2-parter it was originally intended to be, but it was too late to rewrite an expanded version.

The subspace corridor effect a slightly altered version of the slipstream effect. Footage from the teaser sequence here would be reused for the Mirror opening title sequence on Enterprise.

Up Next: 606 (605): Alice, 607 (606): Riddles, 608: One Small Step & 609: The Voyager Conspiracy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Sarge, PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Tinker Tenor is pretty peak Doctor episodes and I quite like the two Ron Moore episodes, the Borg one is surprisingly great.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

VOY 606/605: Alice
    -Premise: Paris is manipulated by the intelligence on board a mysterious alien shuttle recently acquired from an interstellar junkyard.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: It seems this whole conversation is just to acknowledge that Tuvok’s backstory is somewhat convoluted- though also nice to see what seems like a night shift with Tuvok in the command chair.

“We’ve already got a full compliment of shuttles- not to mention the Delta Flyer”. 'Full complement'? ::COUGHBULLCRAPCOUGH::

Oh, this ship is covered in dust with blown components and in a general state of disrepair but, sure, let me hook myself up to the part that READS AND WRITES TO MY BRAIN, what could possibly go wrong?

Fun, chip little piece of music as Tom starts cleaning up Alice. “She doesn’t understand you the way I do” ugh, that dialogue. Alice’s attempt to force Tom to take them to the shuttle bay shouldn’t have worked- he could have still used his combadge to request help.

Prior to Alice’s attack I rather liked this trader’s look and demeanor. Haven’t had this type of character conveyed this way before;

[​IMG]

Sadly, this reference to the Federation’s previous encounter with a particle fountain is not a reference to any previous Trek episode.

“I’m not sure how I feel about getting inside Tom’s head.”
    “Maybe you’ll be able to explain a few things when you get back.”

I think this is another episode that missed an opportunity to explore some interesting character qualities via Seven with the whole man/machine merging parallels. They nod at it for one scene but, even though one doesn’t want EVERY episode to be about Seven, it seems like a much stronger connection that would have made for a good subplot at the very least. Establishing more of Alice’s goals/motivations would have helped as well because it becomes a pretty generic “controlled by the machine” plot by the end. Average episode.

Trivia: The correct answer about Tuvok’s age would have been 111 or 112. The actor playing Abbadon, John Fleck, previous played the Romulan Koval on a DS9 episode and later would play Silik on Enterprise in several episodes.

VOY 607 (really 606): Riddles
    -Premise: Tuvok loses his memory along with his Vulcan emotional self-control when he is attacked by mysterious aliens.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: They may have shown it before but, given the gap between episode viewings I’ve experienced, I don’t remember the rear compartment of the Delta Flyer. However, I saw a cut away image illustrating that earlier today. And now, here, that same day, an episode that more or less opens, and is centered around, events taking place in that compartment.

The Doctor’s basically assigned Neelix to annoy Tuvok into consciousness. Hey, a deflector modification that worked, how about that! There’s a bit of a Tuvix scenario towards the end here- an interesting similarity given the two character focuses here.

Neelix’s “Probably not” reaction to Tuvok’s “But I won’t express them.” comment has a moment with his eyes moving that really give him an alien creature vibe beyond what his makeup typically conveys. Kinda seems weird that Tuvok lays down to presumably begin the procedure but the table arch device only goes over his torso, not his head where the treatment needs to be applied.

Decent episode that does a pretty good job with the Tuvok/Neelix friendship with good performances, though it kinda ultimately feels like it was mainly an excuse to allow Tuvok to express a range of emotions without typical Vulcan repercussions for doing so. I’m going to classify it as Average but that might be a little too harsh for it- however, it is one of the better Neelix-centric episodes.

Trivia: Directed by Roxann Dawson.

VOY 608: One Small Step
    -Premise: Voyager finds an ancient spacecraft – the derelict of one of Humanity's first manned missions to Mars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Early 2000’s Mars-focus connection, 2032. We’re getting close to that. Astronaut John Kelly, heh. The special stardate and earlier year date typing effect is curious- will there be a payoff to that stylistic flair?

Borg designate Spatial Anomalies by number as well as Species.

The Doctor’s bragging reminiscing is pretty funny: “One small step for a hologram, one giant leap for mankind.”

A ‘dark matter asteroid’. It’s actually kinda weird to hear a relatively modern science term or concept be repurposed for some good ol’ Trek technobabble. Inevitable effect of the Trek shows getting closer and closer to present day, from a production or airing standpoint.

The direction and writing of this episode are leaning strongly into hyper-dramatic moments- the countdown clocks (we have, what? at least 3? 4 if you count the flashback logs), the dramatic zoom as “We have less than 2 hours” is delivered urgently, etc.

The anger by Seven at Chakotay is at least a little interesting, though the “be a part of history” idea the episode is pushing hard seems a little repetitive with First Contact and the discussion between Data and Picard about the Phoenix.

Funeral scene is a pretty good conclusion- though I think Trek at this time REALLY thought baseball would be a bigger deal in the future.

Stylistic flair payoff? None. I actually thought it was going to be some kind of X-Files thing because I mistakenly thought this episode was going to be The Voyager Conspiracy (not that I new if that’s what TVC was about, but that title and these date entries made a connection seem plausible).

It’s a comfortable episode, but I wouldn’t say it’s strong enough to call “Good”, so we’ll go with Average, though it’s a little inbetween.

Trivia: Directed by Robert Picardo. The actor who played John Kelly in this episode appeared as a child in TOS: Miri, a Starfleet cadet in ST3, and both a Klingon and Jem’Hadar soldier on DS9. Robert Beltran was initially excited about this episode giving some rare late-series character development for Chakotay but was later frustrated that the majority of the character development was shifted over to Seven of Nine.

Tom Paris’s brief reaction to the mention of “pilot error” is intended to be a subtle callback to the accident that led to his expulsion from Starfleet; in the Star Trek timeline. World War III would have been going on during John Kelly’s mission.

This is the only time Andorians are mentioned on Voyager. A rocket called the Ares IV was part of the now-cancelled Constellation program. Ares IV was also the name of a manned Mars mission in the movie The Martian. The planet Arakis Prime that the Doctor mentions may have been a nod to Dune.

VOY 609: The Voyager Conspiracy
    -Premise: Seven investigates a massive "conspiracy" involving the Federation, the Cardassians, the Caretaker, and numerous other alien races, which indicates that Voyager was deliberately stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Naomi Wildman: TV Kid!;

“Word travels fast on this ship.”
    “Warp 10. Oh, by the way, i meant to tell you-“
    (you turned into a lizard after going Warp 10. And actually did have babies.)

Flashback recap to the pilot, as well as a reference to Cold Fire’s second Caretaker in service of the technological connection here. Kinda interesting that, from what I recall, the only “previously on..” type recaps (be they actual pre-show recaps or, here, a spiritual one integrated into the exposition scene itself as a flashback) that aren’t related to multi-parter episodes are the ones dealing with the Caretaker subplot.

I will say I’m surprised at how clever this episode is so far, using Neelix’s ship as a source for undamaged sensor readings and such. Thinking about it, Seven’s download approach and how efficient it helps diagnosing problems makes you wonder if Data was doing the same thing and would, by comparison, contribute one more reason why the Enterprise D was so well maintained.

5 years since Caretaker. Seven going into conspiracy theories is where I assumed this episode was going early on. I’m glad they held off on pulling that trigger to lay some groundwork for that.

Man, using the Captain’s log to breeze past using the catapult and shaving 3 years off of their journey seems like a bad creative decision. Still, Voyager has now shaved off about 43 years off of their journey at this point (counting travel time).

Cutting down Voyager’s journey and following up on the Caretaker tech to some degree renders this episode Definitely Essential. It’s a pretty good episode overall on top of that, though. However, it never really answers the question about what the cloaked ship with the tractor beam may have been- because there had to have been one for that reactor to end up here. It also doesn’t answer the question of why Voyager had tricobalt devices.

Trivia: The ship diagrams that cycle on the display after Seven finishes her first regeneration cycle, are taken from the Star Trek Encyclopedia. Janeway mentions bringing order to chaos, which echoes the Borg Queen’s line in FC “I bring order to chaos.”.

Up Next: 610: Pathfinder, 611: Fair Haven, 612/615: Tsunkatse & 613: Blink of an Eye

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One minor quibble - World War III (at least according to my old copy of the Okuda Chronology) doesn't happen until 2053 - and NASA launched a later vessel, the Charybdis, in 2037.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    According to Memory-Alpha, WWIII spans 2026-2053. In a Mirror Darkly ties WWIII to Col green and other details from TOS The Savage Curtain and Bread and Circuses. The worst losses of life (that we know of) being at the start (Green's eco-terrorists) and end of the war (the primary nuclear portion of the war), with the space program apparently continuing despite such events- thus the Ares IV and Charybdis missions in-between.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    blackmyron likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I did say it was Chronology, which (checking date) was published in 1996. :p

But yeah, I needed to research it further - I see that it came from an information screen in the ENT episode. That poor 100 Years of the Federation book became obsolete almost as soon as it was published, didn't it? [face_laugh] (Colonel Green is responsible for a massacre at the end of WW III in the book, IIRC, obviously not the case now).

Sadly, my recent forays into Star Trek have mostly been with star charts than timelines. I'll need to reexamine that at some point.

Iron_lord and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The M-A entry on WWIII mentions that Green remained active throughout, and after, the war. So, without having read the book, sounds like it could still fly.

Sounds like the Chronology used the most recent info at the time- which would have been First Contact, which reaffirmed the 2053 era for the main nuclear attacks most often referred to when speaking of WWIII.

blackmyron and PCCViking like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I liked Alice better the first time I saw it, at the cinema, when it was titled Christine.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    TNG and VOY Join Forces (and spoil the whole episode):
    VOY 610: Pathfinder
    -Premise: When the Enterprise-E returns home to Earth, Lieutenant Barclay seeks Counselor Deanna Troi's help when he worries that he has become obsessed with the crew of Voyager.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Barclay! Definitely Essential. Next episode! Neelix the Cat, namedropping DS9. Barclay still relying on holodeck to overcome his anxieties. Interesting that the holodeck versions of the crew are based on assumptions like Chakotay and Torres still wearing Maquis clothing, Janeway’s S1 hairstyle, etc.

Starfleet’s estimates for Voyager’s location should be way off, as their information was as of Message in a Bottle and the crew has taken several large-distance jumps since then.

Didn’t cross my mind until they mention it but, yeah, Barclay being stationed here means he would have left the Enterprise sometime after First Contact. Interesting and unexpected that, in the backdrop to this episode, the Enterprise has made a stop over at Earth to allow Deanna to be part of the frame story. But also mentions Picard and such. Minor throw away details, but, they actually total up to more information on the status of the Enterprise-E than we ever got on DS9.

Barclay’s little door trick is pretty clever- I’m surprised we haven’t seen it done on Trek before.

When we see the real Voyager for the first time it’s also the first time we actually see the exterior of the ship.

[​IMG]

Despite being inevitable, the actual moment of communications contact is surprisingly emotional. There is a bit of a “VOY crew owes a TNG character” air to it but it’s not as hijacking in a way like the ENT finale was. And it being a non-main (or even regular supporting) TNG character, helps make it feel more organic and less subservient.

The Doctor probably should have remembered holo-Barclay from VOY: Projections, though. I guess they can’t have perfect continuity at this point in the game;

Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Originally titled “Home Fires”, this is the final episode of Star Trek to air in the 90’s. All of the then-three TNG-era Trek shows were referenced or included in this episode. This is also the final chronological mention of DS9 (until Lower Decks). This is the first appearance of Starfleet HQ since the Breen attack.

The photo of Paris on Admiral Paris’s desk is actually of Locarno from TNG: The First Duty. Barclay previously worked with an array on TNG: The Nth Degree. When the two officers are shot harmlessly by holo-Torres, it is one of the few times we’ve seen holodeck safety protocols actually working.

The Doctor seemingly violated medical protocol by revealing Barclay’s medical history to the crew.

Sirtis agreed to appear in the episode without reading the script after finding out she’d be working with Dwight Schultz again. She found returning to a Trek series set a little surreal since it was mostly the same crew she had worked with on TNG and the only cast member she was interacting with was Dwight. She also found it wonderful to be playing the kind-and-nurturing Troi again, after the “wacky, zany” Troi in First Contact & Insurrection.

Troi’s role was given additional scenes after Sirtis agreed to do the episode. Barclay originally had a wife who was then written out of the script to have some of her material transferred over to Troi.

Barclay previously worked with a large communications array in TNG: The Nth Degree.

The episode trailer was misleadingly edited to splice together lines of dialogue to suggest Picard had a more active role in the story and to make it seem like more of a team-up crossover episode.

We Don’t Know How to Advertise an Episode About an Irish Bartender Romance to People Watching WWF Smackdown!:
    VOY 611: Fair Haven
    -Premise: The crew relaxes in Paris's latest holodeck creation: an idealized 19th century Irish village, where Captain Janeway falls in love with a holographic character. .

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Oh no, once again we enter the time-honored tradition of the dreaded crossroads between Star Trek and the open opportunity for Irish stereotypes! Seriously, quality of the stereotypes aside, this franchise has a RIDICULOUS fixation on the Irish!

Yeah, you can really get MMO NPC Quest Giver parallels with this holoprogram. “No leprechauns, no aliens, no starships- we have to keep this episode under budget!”.

Janeway gonna bag herself an Irisholoman. The idea of dropping anchor to wait out “bad weather” is something new- and we get a shot of Voyager right afterwards that is a new shot with only part of the deflector active that actually looks pretty cool (kinda DIS-like, or fan variants of the TOS Enterprise). Though, in the end, it feels like this is just headed for another holodeck malfunction story…

“5 years, almost 6” that Voyager has “been on the road”. I can’t tell if it’s an intentional effect or just a result of the SD video compression, but there’s a subtle heat distortion effect around Voyager when we next see her. If intentional then it is likely meant to be portraying the radiation. OK, no, it’s definitely just the compression of the video.

“Delete the wife”. Mulgrew is definitely selling Janeway getting into this.

[​IMG]

Hey, the deflector is really on fire this season, 2 for 2!

Well, it took them over 3 decades but it looks like they might have finally shook the curse of the Irish. Comes across as a pretty decent romance story- much better than past attempts at a Kathryn romance, as it does try to involve some greater questions without going into the territory of an alien betrayal or sci-fi intrusion into the story. It also manages to avoid the expected holodeck malfunction (at least not in the traditional sense for the franchise).

As a character episode it hovers above Average, but probably below Good Episode. I’ll stick with Average, but I actually wouldn’t mind rewatching this one, either- and if future appearances of Fair Haven heavily reference these events, we could see it elevated to “Potentially Essential” later on.

Trivia: Originally titled “Safe Harbor”, this is the first episode of Star Trek to air in the 2000’s. Tom estimates it may take 6 or 7 weeks to repair the damage to the Fair Haven holoprogram. The holoprogram would return in Spirit Folk, which originally aired 6 weeks after this one.

Alternate settings for this story that were considered include a futuristic aircraft carrier, an Agatha Christie-type drawing room, a haunted castle and a movie studio.

The Fair Haven set was a redress of Universal Studios’ “Little Europe” backlot set, previously used in The Killing Game.

America’s Smackdown Hero Takes On Voyager’s Battlestar Babe:
    VOY 612 (really 615): Tsunkatse
    -Premise: Seven of Nine is kidnapped by an opportunistic ringmaster who forces her to participate in a Norcadian blood sport. .

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Guest star credits include Jeffrey Combs and JG Hertzler- guess they grabbed up DS9 actors while they were available- though spoiling The Rock’s name in those credits is unfortunate as that would have been a nice surprise.

[​IMG]

The suitcases Seven is carrying are revealed to be quite obviously empty when the Doctor passes them back to her. Tying back to Chakotay’s boxing past- this might actually have potential for a good Chakotay character story… if it wasn’t about Seven. That’s a shame. It’s difficult to hide Combs in a makeup like this- he’s too familiar in too many variations; JG Hertlzer, however, does vanish behind the Hirogen makeup.

[​IMG]

Crazy seeing The Rock 20 years ago after seeing him on the big screen so frequently in the recent decade, given that he seems like he’s now twice the size he was here. He still gets the eyebrow raise in, however.

[​IMG]

The live holographic transmission of the fight from an alternate site is a clever spin on things. As great as the makeup design is- I don’t think it was ever intended to be filmed this close-up in this type of lighting, as it has a very plastic/rubber look to it. Can only imagine how much more obvious it would be in HD.

[​IMG]

The arena ship is odd- it’s meant to be a large craft, but having the MSG-like center dome makes it feel like the single fight arena that we’ve seen is what is in the middle and, thus, makes it feel very, very small.

Knowing that an episode featuring an arena ship that included an appearance by The Rock was coming up at some point, I didn’t have high expectations for this one. Frankly, I thought it would be pretty cheesy or even terrible. It, surprisingly, turned out to be pretty solid. It kinda feels like it could have worked as a 1-and-a-half-parter, ya know? Like, they could certainly have fleshed out some aspects of it but, conversely, it doesn’t need to be stretched out to a full two-parter, either.

[​IMG]

Even though I think there definitely could have been a really good thread here with Chakotay and his boxing background that would have made a lot of sense and been an actual good development for him as a character (a rarity), what they instead do with Seven is done very well (even if the training/mentor aspect may be a little rushed due to runtime constraints). Tuvok feels under utilized, however (he basically has two brief scenes regarding his involvement and the rest of the time he’s laying on the bunk). The search for the arena ship could have been extended more, as well (as it is, we kinda get there pretty quickly, making it feel like an obligatory space action scene for the climax). Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

[​IMG]

Trivia: This was the highest-rated episode of the season according to Nielsen. Originally titled “Arena” but was changed just before shooting due to the TOS episode sharing the same title. This is the first time Combs and Hertzler acted in the same scene together. Several background characters from DS9 were used for the audience.

The Rock’s presence here was a tie-in to fellow UPN show WWF Smackdown!. He was the first pro wrestler to appear on a Star Trek series. Two others would follow on ENT: Tommy “Tiny” Lister, Jr. and The Big Show. The Rock uses his “rock bottom” wrestling finishing move here.

The episode originally wasn’t a Seven-focused episode- but it also wasn’t a Chakotay episode, either. It was originally centered around Tuvok and having him fight in the arena.

This is a rare occasion where we see Torres left in command- and the only time we see her in the Captain’s chair. Hertlzer previously played a captured member of a warrior race forced to fight for entertainment against their will as Martok on DS9 In Purgatory’s Shadow/By Inferno’s Light.

The gray chains painted around the arena are the same as the slave symbols on the shirts worn by Kirk, McCoy and Spock when they are forced to fight for their lives in a Roman arena in TOS: Bread and Circuses.

The initial shot of Voyager around Nordcaia Prime is likely a color-shifted shot of Ocampa from Caretaker. The 360 shot of the arena was believed to be the longest shot to take in the series, only getting half-or-fewer the number of takes they intended to. It utilized the same 2-dozen extras, necessitating them recoloring the uniform of the same Starfleet extra to make it look less obvious due to time constraints.

A World Whose Weapons Will Soon Surpass Your Own:
    VOY 613 (really 612): Blink of an Eye
    -Premise: Over time and generations, a world tries to uncover the mystery of a strange object in the sky.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Cool planet idea- be nice to see more of this kind of approach of exploring new qualities. The idea of even an inadvertent action, such as causing a light to be seen as a new star in the sky, that can lead to influencing the development of a civilization is a pretty interesting one too.

[​IMG]

The Wildman subplot point feels like it should have been introduced early in the episode for this scene to be a follow-up on. Not only would it had a plot throughline, but it wouldn’t feel like Wildman is popping up 2/3rds through the episode out of nowhere.

Is that the senator from B5? Or the ITB president? For a first manned mission to the Sky Ship, they’re showing a lot of confidence in their ability to mate their docking technology with Voyager’s- especially since they have only now just detected it and only suspect its nature, as opposed to something they have observed from afar and prepared for.

[​IMG]

I wonder how far between Crusade and Lost this is for Daniel Dae Kim (looking it up, this aired only about 4.5 months after the final episode of Crusade aired). Also, if you think about it- this species has to be one of the most advanced in the entire Star Trek universe. This episode spanned days, at most, for Voyager and the rest of the galaxy. By the end of VOY, they’d have evolved to a ridiculous degree, to say nothing of any post-VOY setting (ie: LD, PRO, PIC, DIS S3+, etc).

Very fun concept. We’ve seen a few “spans of civilizations in a moment” stories before, such as The Inner Light, but this one executes the concept nicely. One of the better episodes of the series, I’d say. Normally, I’d say Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential- but I think it’s solid enough to be elevated to Definitely Essential.

Trivia: There are some similar elements to TOS Wink of an Eye, where the Scalosians experience hours within minutes of normal time. The high rotation of the planet was described by Tuvok as being like a quasar, but it would be more accurate to use a pulsar as a comparison. The actor playing Kelemane previously played Marto’s son in DS9: The Way of the Warrior.

Up Next: 614/613: Virtuoso, 615/616: Collective, 616/614: Memorial & 617: Spirit Folk.

EDIT- Uuugh, wiki image embed links, you are killing me!
    EDIT 2- I have rerouted power to the holodeck through the deflector to repell broken image links!

NOTE TO FUTURE SELF, @The2ndQuest: replace the "https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/" before "memoryalpha" in the image URL with "http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/" for wiki image embeds (at least for now).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The First of 6 All-New Episodes (and exactly zero footage from this one!):
    VOY 614 (really 613): Virtuoso
    -Premise: The Doctor becomes a celebrity among a race that has not developed music.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Actually pretty amusing angle to integrate the Doctor’s musical explorations here. It’s also interesting to see such a busy planetary orbit. It’s kind of a rare sight, especially on this show. Kind of conveys a sense of approaching more centralized populations the closer they get away from the frontier they started off in as they head more corewards toward the Alpha Quadrant. Even if said population center is more isolationist beyond its borders.

It is strangely 4th-wall-breaking to have Janeway and Seven talk about fan mail and fixations on celebrity. And, then, subsequently, to tackle a literal convention signing table and obsessive fans. The episode does take a heavy turn as it starts to bring up the debate over the Doctor’s right to self-determination versus that other crew members, even if its a little forced getting there.

“I wasn’t aware we were on a first-name basis, Doctor.”

I like the notion of making this a series of character farewells to explore each relationship- it’s a very theatrical stage premise. However, on the other hand, I hate it when episodes are centered around something you know is not going to happen. It undercuts the emotion of the moment and makes them feel hollow and manipulative to the audience. We know the Doctor isn’t leaving the ship or the show, so the turmoil over his planned departure is for nothing- and we know that in advance and in the moment, not just after the fact or in retrospect.

The final scene with Seven is touching- really makes you wish he and Seven had more than one scene together in this episode. I feel like the episode would have been much stronger if they had focused a little more on that subplot. It’s more of a Doctor/Janeway episode currently- and I don’t think I’d want to diminish that angle, but, perhaps, swapping out one Janeway scene for another Seven scene would have helped that aim.

Cute, light little episode, if predictable. Average.

Trivia: The Qomar city is a reuse of the Zahl colony from Year of Hell. The aliens that took control of Tuvok in Cathexis were called the Komar, which was pronounced the same. The Doctor’s final performance is the only time the Doctor’s singing was not performed by Robert Picardo.

Children of the Borg:
    VOY 615 (really 616): Collective
    -Premise: Voyager finds a Borg cube controlled by assimilated children who have been separated from the Collective mind.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: At first, it feels like an obligatory “we haven’t seen the Borg this season, here ya go!”, and while the kids angle does further demystify them as a threat or entity, it is a somewhat different scenario exploring a rarely-seen facet of the Borg.

Trying to rip the deflector off a ship is different- its rare that the deflector has such an importance to the overall plot beyond a one-off use and it is a nice callback nod to First Contact. And, minor Picard spoiler, but I guess this is the origin of that one character whom I wasn’t aware of prior to Picard.

I’d say this is a decent episode- it weirdly starts out as a Harry/Tom/Chakotay/Neelix episode but then becomes a Seven episode with everyone of that initial group sidelined, with Harry kinda vanishing for most of the episode only to reappear in a quick subplot that had potential but ultimately doesn’t go anywhere. The main Borg plot is predictable, though- Second is clearly telegraphed to be the turning point decision against First and, even then, it plays out as expected and not in any real critical capacity.

I feel like the Borg connection and Borg children angle make this at least Potentially Essential. Depending on how the children are handled in their next appearance, we might be able to upgrade that to Definitely Essential, though absent those elements I’d probably rank it lower under normal circumstances.

Trivia: One of the borg children, Mazoti, is from the Norcadian species, first encountered in the Tsunkatse episode.

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures:
    (to its credit, that TV spot does make it look like the crew have truly lost their minds, lol)
    VOY 616 (really 614): Memorial
    -Premise: After returning from an extended away mission, Voyager crewmembers inexplicably begin having horrific flashbacks to an atrocity that they seem to have participated in.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: TV finally makes it to the 24th century. Episode lures you into thinking it’ll be something weird and goofy with the TV but takes an unexpected turn into PTSD meets Inner Light? Also, is there a term for Star Trek episodes whose premise or main plot twist is spoiled/guessable due to the episode title?

Mulgrew really gets to give a different level of performance during her body-disintegration flashback scene. I like that the episode doesn’t ignore the possibility of these memories being implanted and try to string the audience along for a legit “we were in a war and had our memories erased”-type fake-out. Harkens back to the “next-next generation” vibe of early VOY.

However, it still probably goes on a little too long before they confirm the situation. I do like that there was debate over what to ultimately do and leaves the audience questioning whether or not they did the right thing. The episode is missing a Naomi Wildman/Neelix epilogue scene, though. That was a pretty key aspect of the episode that was left dangling somewhat.

I want to say that this is a good, but not great, episode. It’s fairly predictable but it gives some of the cast an opportunity to play beyond the limits of their usual roles and they do it pretty well. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: This is the first appearance of hockey in Star Trek.

But What Happens When the Computer’s Hard Drive Goes Haywire?:
    VOY 617: Spirit Folk
    -Premise: The characters in the Fair Haven holoprogram begin to suspect the Voyager crew after they witness several "supernatural" occurrences.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: We built this Irish holodeck program and, dammit, we’re gonna keep using it. This is kind of an interesting companion to Elementary Dear Data with holo programs becoming aware of their existence- only in a more benign context and on a community level rather than that of an individual breaking character like Moriarty was.

I like the moment at night with Janeway and the bar owner, you can see her feeling guilty or sad for this realistic NPC. BTW, she killed you wife in the last Fair Haven episode. The dangers of passing the Turing Test.

“Never underestimate an Irish holoprogram”

“Computer: Freeze program!”
    “62% compliance- but only over extras- we have to keep this episode under budget”

“They’re not people, they’re holograms.” The Doctor is standing right there, Seven, geez…

The episode really evolves into less of a holodeck malfunction episode and more of a Prime Directive story in spirit, much like how many TOS episodes were really trying to be time travel episodes without being time travel episodes.

The conclusion comes a little easy but i like the civilized approach to things. The Happy Town Coda feels like too much, though. Gonna stick this one as Average, like Fair Haven. It’s harmless and there’s nothing actively bad about it (maybe a little too cartoony with the Irish supporting characters but that’s still a significant improvement over the Star Trek Irish Stereotype Batting Average). It does link back to Fair Haven, so there is room, like that episode, for this to be elevated to Potentially Essential depending on this carries forward in the future.

Trivia: As Janeway blocked her computer access from altering Sullivan’s program in Fair Haven, he actually is impervious to her “charms”, as he speculates at the end of this episode. The woman who tells the story about the girl in the well was the ex-wife of Colm Meaney. This is one of the few times Voyager’s registry is spoken aloud.

Voyager Resources:
    -Death Wish: Quinn/Q2 joins the crew (153 remain), then commits suicide. (152 remain)
    -Distant Origin: Five unknown people potentially added to crew, as crew is stated to be 148. (143 or 148 remain)
    -(Latent Image; between Worst Case Scenario & Scorpion): Ahni Jetal, dead. (142 or 147 remain)*
    -(Ashes to Ashes & Imperfection; between Hunters & Prey): Lyndsay Ballard, dead (141 or 146 remain)**
    -Living Witness: 3 unidentified crew members killed by the Kyrian incursion. (137 or 142 remain)
    -In the Flesh: Doctor totals 128 crew members ("2 down" + "125 to go" + the Doctor)- so either 8-13 people have died since (or offscreen during) The Killing Game or 8-13 people didn't need to be treated). (128, 136 or 141 remain)
    -Gravity: Tuvok cites 152 crew members aboard Voyager. (128, 136, 141 or 152 remain)
    -Dark Frontier, Part I: Borg scans identify “143 lifeforms aboard” Voyager. (128, 136, 141, 143, or 152 remain)
    -Equinox, Part I: Unidentified crew member killed by Equinox crew during escape. (127, 135, 140, 142, or 151 remain)
    -Equinox, Part II: 2 unidentified crew members die during alien attack and a third dies from wounds in sickbay; 5 Equinox survivors join the crew. (129, 137, 142, 144 or 153 remain)
    -Collective: 4 Borg children (Icheb, Mezoti, Azan & Rebi) & 1 unidentified Borg infant join crew, with infant returned to its people offscreen after episode. (133, 141, 146, 148 or 157 remain)

*Season 5 episode affecting chronologically earlier events,
    **Season 6 & 7 episodes, listed here in advance for proper tally moving forward

Up Next: 618: Ashes to Ashes, 619: Childs Play, 620: Good Shephard & 621: Live Fast and Prosper.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m hate watching Discovery. Show is terrible.

I have to interrupt it with the occasional Orville episode to recalibrate my tricorder to what Star Trek feels like.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably more of a topic for the main Trek thread, but out of curiosity are you just starting the show? Because that first season is pretty bumpy. But the 2nd season is pretty great and the 3rd & 4th seasons do a good job of the typical mid-series Trek relaunch. The show, in general, has been pretty good about making each season feel different.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He
    Just finished the 1st season. My list of complaints would dwarf your voyager reviews.

Sarge likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    “Five years ago, they gave her a burial in space…”

VOY 618: Ashes to Ashes
    -Premise: A long-presumed-dead crewmate returns to Voyager, pursued by the aliens who revived her; Icheb, Azan, Rebi, and Mezoti behave rebelliously against Seven of Nine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Weirdly abrupt teaser. Ah, so this is where the retroactive inclusion of Ballard in my crew member tracking log originates from.

“To be honest, I never thought you noticed me.”
    Yeah, neither did we.

While it is interesting to flesh out more of Voyager’s activities retroactively, it does feel weird inserting a character into everyone’s meaningful past history as if they were there for 4 seasons and we never saw her. Makes me almost suspect that she’s a memory parasite from Rick & Morty. I know she’s not, but it kinda feels that way.

Odd that the Kobali language doesn’t get translated by universal translators.

“Hair is one my specialties… despite evidence to the contrary.”

Just thinking about the logistics here, but Harry doesn’t seem to have considered that Lindsay has been turned into a species that reproduces through converting the corpses of other species. Which implies that she’s not exactly going to be physically compatible with him. Or he has and it doesn’t matter, which is fine- they just should probably have brought that up. They vaguely do later on but still not exactly.

Voyager’s shields were depleted pretty rapidly by these three ships. The shot of Voyager being escorted by the three ships is pretty cool though. The subplot with Seven and the children doesn’t really do much, but I don’t think you could stretch out the Lindsay plotline in this episode any more, either.

I don’t think this episode really goes anywhere notable. Lindsay’s conflict is compressed towards the end, so there isn’t as much trauma or pull back and forth as there could be- dramatically or emotionally. Harry has some moments that maybe had potential with the resurrection/funeral, but those get dropped and he is overall just playing a pretty straight forward always-had-a-crush-on-you storyline.

An OK episode. Something of a break-even crew total here too, with Lindsay returning, then leaving.

Trivia: Ballard’s death, dying on a shuttle during an away mission with Kim off-screen and recounted later, is similar to Ahni Jetal’s from Season 5’s Latent Image. Paris’s recounting of Harry’s love interests is the same one he gives in Season 5’s The Disease, only adding Lindsay to the list. Lindsay mentions Kim using baryon sweeps to clean- baryon sweeps were what were used in TNG: Starship Mine.

“A planet ravaged by war…”

VOY 619: Childs Play
    -Premise: Icheb's return to his home planet after his abduction by the Borg is difficult for Seven to bear when her awakening maternal instincts make her suspicious of his parents.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Picking up the thread of Seven and the children, with a nod towards Seven allowing their individuality to be expressed. Already being handled with greater care and complexity than the previous episode.

[​IMG]

The two main scenes between Seven and Janeway have been really good so far. Wonder if Voyager could just collapse the transwarp conduit to limit Borg access to the region.

[​IMG]

It is a little unfortunate that the shift in intentions by the parents is so sudden and also that it provides an easy out for a complex problem. Voyager uses a “beam a nuke aboard” tactic with a photon torpedo.

“You are an individual and you have the right to determine your own destiny.”

[​IMG]

A very good episode overall and, as it furthers Icheb’s character and Seven’s attachment to him, makes it very relevant to episodes of PIC later on. Definitely Essential.

Trivia: The craters on the Brunali homeworld harken back to those seen on TNG when the Borg were first introduced/teased. Journet IV was one such site (in Best of Both Worlds) and is listed here on a star chart that Icheb is looking at.

“A routine mission…”

VOY 620: Good Shepherd
    -Premise: When three crewmen are shown to be hampering efficiency, Captain Janeway decides to give them some special attention by taking them on an away mission.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Ooh, we have a nice zoom-in from outside the ship to Janeway inside, similar (but more complete) than early shots used in TNG for Picard aboard the Enterprise-D. I don’t think they’ve used this shot before, unless I’m just not remembering the instance if it has been too long. This whole following-the-PADD throughout the ship from the first window zoom-in to the final window zoom-out is probably one of the coolest things they’ve done on the show. Arguably their best teaser (though the Timeless crash landing is a top contender). Though it makes you wonder what they could have done with wifi, e-mail or Dropbox.

Looks like we might be getting a semi-Lower Decks-type episode.

“What do you know of my expertise?”
    “As much as I need to.”

Probably not the best creative choice to have music underneath a “find the source of that sound” scene, [face_laugh].

[​IMG]

Overall, this was a good episode but it really feels like it has a far too abrupt ending. We don’t get resolution on what the threat was, if it was a misunderstanding, if there were repercussions to Harren’s actions, if there were any lasting positive effect or lesson learned by these crew members after they got back to Voyager, nor any final point to round out Seven’s analysis and conclusions. So, that’s rather disappointing. Fingers crossed these characters come back up later on and we get some sense of development springboarding from this episode. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: This episode focuses on underperforming Starfleet crew, which mirrors the underperforming Maquis crew in Learning Curve. The window Harren looks out of at the end of the teaser does not exist on the physical or CGI models of Voyager and was not kept for future CGI shots. Harren’s equations are adapted from a book developed by the US Air Force Academy in 1971 titled “Fundamentals of Astrodynamics”. A mouse cursor can be seen moving around the LCD-like monitor inside the escape pod. We’ve never seen the Borg attack that Paris mentions bumping into Harren in the corridor during, as Paris was at the helm for every encounter on-screen. This is one of Mulgew’s favorite episodes.

“Has Voyager entered a parallel universe?”

VOY 621: Live Fast and Prosper
    -Premise: A trio of con artists impersonate Captain Janeway, Tuvok, and Chakotay to try to scam money and resources out of unsuspecting victims.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Imposter Voyager scam artists. That’s actually a fun idea. Though the teaser reveal must have been very weird for a non-fan or casual viewer randomly tuning into UPN when this episode aired, since they’d have no way to understand the imposter context. It would have just come across as a run of the mill, cheesy (albeit outdated by that point) sci-fi show moment- kinda like how the opening to TWOK is almost a satire of Star Trek, only in this case it’d be unintentional.

Not that it’s necessary to fix it in in a modern streaming/binge context, but they probably should have opened the episode with a scene aboard Voyager with the actual crew first, use misleading cuts to make it seem like they were on their way to the meeting with the miners we meet, then have the scam artists show up. That way there’d be a point of reference to establish a visual contrast to sell the idea with to every potential viewer (an Affleck to their Keaton, so to speak).

Wait, did this Voyager conference room table always have this shuffle board bowling alley going down the middle? And why did it take them 6 seasons to slide something down the middle? [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

As a small oversight, they really don’t address what happens to these conmen after they’re captured at all- the closing Captain’s Log only addresses the stolen goods. With the title of this episode, I was fearing some kind of Fast and Furious-type story. I know it’s slightly too early for that to have been an option, but even Stargate eventually did a racing episode. I wouldn’t have been surprised at a story involving Tuvok having to participate in some kind of space racing event or challenge with a title like this.

There really isn’t anything major to criticize about the episode. It’s a Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential. The only minor critiques are that it would have been nice to see more of Voyager repairing the damage done by the conmen to their reputation and that of the Federation’s, as well as a line explaining what happened to the conmen. Another scene between Fake Tuvok and Tuvok would have been interesting to explore more too, as the imposter clearly held him in high regards.

I guess I would have rather had some runtime dedicated to those plot aspects than the shell game scenes with Neelix, Tom and Doctor (they’re cute, though. cheesy and pointlessly shoved in, but cute).

Trivia: The actress who plays Dala (Fake Janeway), Kaitlyn Hopkins, also played the Vorta Kilana in DS9: The Ship. Dala apparently also impersonated Seven of Nine in a deleted scene. This episode establishes that Janeway has commanded Voyager for almost six years. The bridge of the Fake Delta Flyer is a redress of the Defiant bridge.

Voyager Resources:

-Dark Frontier, Part I: Borg scans identify “143 lifeforms aboard” Voyager. (128, 136, 141, 143, or 152 remain)
    -Equinox, Part I: Unidentified crew member killed by Equinox crew during escape. (127, 135, 140, 142, or 151 remain)
    -Equinox, Part II: 2 unidentified crew members die during alien attack and a third dies from wounds in sickbay; 5 Equinox survivors join the crew. (129, 137, 142, 144 or 153 remain)
    -Collective: 4 Borg children (Icheb, Mezoti, Azan & Rebi) & 1 unidentified Borg infant join crew, with infant returned to its people offscreen after episode. (133, 141, 146, 148 or 157 remain)
    -Ashes to Ashes: Lindsay Ballard returns to crew, then leaves to rejoin the Kobali (133, 141, 146, 148 or 157 remain).

-9 fired (“one more outta do it”=2,+4+1+2) in Equinox, Part II (between -33 to -30 remain) (-15 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 transport-detonated in Child’s Play (between -34 to -31 remain) (-16 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired by Delta Flyer in Good Shepard (between -35 to -32 remain) (-17 if Scorpion claims were correct)

Up Next: 622: The Muse, 623: Fury, 624: Life Line & 625: The Haunting of Deck Twelve.

PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    “Nothing prepares a rew- for losing two of their own” (but mostly Torres)

“A captive audience in a mysterious saga!”

VOY 622: The Muse
    -Premise: Torres is stranded on a pre-industrial planet where she becomes the inspiration for a local poet.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Interesting to have two episodes back to back involving influences Voyager has had on this region (and seemingly in a parallel way to the one where the ship was observed by the time dilation planet through telescopes).

Delta Flyer crashed/wrecked. I’m surprised they let it happen off-screen instead of making it a big moment. Unless we’re going to get a flashback, but I don’t get the impression that will be the case (kinda loses its shock value to see it after-the-fact, so why spend the money on the FX at that point? Especially when you’ve seemingly already spent a lot on costumes on what is a borderline bottle episode with only one new set).

[​IMG]

“Mr. Paris, try to stay calm.”
    “No, that’s not going to happen.”

Nice small moment of passion, without seeming unreasonable.

Master Bra’tac / Cordova!

This scene about halfway through the episode between Tuvok and Neelix in the mess hall with what I assume to be late night lighting actually does have a strong cinematic look to it. I don’t know why it stands out as so striking but it does.

At this midpoint i think this episode shares a similar problem to TNG: The Most Toys, in that the shipboard scenes carry great weight for the characters that is undermined by knowing Torres/Data is ok and not lost/dead. It’s not as bad here, where instead of TMT’s editing and scene arrangement being the source of its problem, the issue here is simply making it feel like two separate stories. It’s further mitigated by the shipboard scenes being a much more minor subplot here than those aboard the Enterprise in TMT.

Draal!

I get the idea of a big finale for this play… but it kinda backs him into a corner if he’s ever demanded to repeat the effect. Not to mention additional Prime Directive concerns.

Mostly a good episode. I like the ancient Greece/Rome play angle. Not feeling the episode strongly, though. Some nice moments, however. But I’m probably not going to circle back to this one on purpose. Also feels like a waste of an episode to kill the Delta Flyer off in. So, I’ll go with Average as my rating.

“A former crew member is back- with a vengeance!”

VOY 623: Fury
    -Premise: Kes returns, seeking revenge on both Voyager and Janeway

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: “It was a fire hazard.”

I believe this means Tuvok is 99 now? Looking it up, he was previously established in episodes like Flashback to already be over 100. So, whoopsie!

Ooh, Kes returns. I didn’t know about this “Tasha Yar”-like episode. Ooh, time travel! 56 days after Delta Quadrant arrival. Possibly bringing Vidiians back? Pleasepleaseplease!

This one shot of Voyager makes we ponder how, had they had the budget to show Voyager’s appearance changing over the seasons, this could have been a really cool moment seeing her again as she was early on in the series and still new.

Nice touch that they’re being consistent with Season 1 stuff- the Doctor having to be on a viewscreen, etc. Tuvok is sort of the Guinan of this Yesterday’s Enterprise-esque scenario.

Really liking the shot of Kes in the background of Sick Bay. Makes me wonder what this episode could have been like if they had played it as a straight flashback episode and only then revealed what Kes was up to the entire time (with a reveal montage of these moments). Not saying it needed to do that, but it would be an interesting direction to explore.

Dammit, it’s hard to ignore how much better early Voyager would have been if they had dedicated their primary antagonist to the Vidiians instead of the Kazon, arg!

I think the boarding arm latching onto Voyager is a new effect. Their twin-beam phasers/whatever are interesting. Has personality. Voyager ripping free is freaking cool too. If you think about it, it kinda symbolizes the Vidiians as well: even if you escape their ships, they still take a literal piece of you with them.

3 photon torpedoes fired, but, Oh no! In a flashback episode? Gotta renumber the whole log! Dammit! The opening of the show is an alternate timeline now. Nice small moment for Kes and Neelix. So, we get true closure to Kes’s story, even if it adds a tragic nature to her journey. Very good episode but also Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Jennifer Lien was convinced to return for this episode based on a proposal by the creative staff that “it was a terrific story with a good reason to bring Kes back”. However, at that time, the story for this episode had not yet been written. Bryan Fuller, whose work on the series began with his suggestion for how Kes would leave the series back in Season 4, co-wrote this episode.

The effects work for this episode went beyond what they had done previously, involving complexities with greenscreen and split-screen on top of the CG work and not having a completed script until after production had already begun.

Kes’s ship reuses the cockpit from the Aeon. While no stardate is provided, the past events depicted here take place sometime in the middle of Season 1: after The Phage (where they first encounter the Vidiians), and after Eye of the Needle (where the Doctor first starts expressing an interest in choosing a name) but before Heroes and Demons (where he has taken on the Schweitzer name that he is considering here). So, between 107 and 112.

This is the final appearance of Samantha Wildman and the Vidiians (boo! hiss! boo!). This is the only face-to-face interaction Seven has had with Kes, though they’ve been in the same scene twice before. This is the 3rd and final time, following Scorpion II and The Gift, that the entire cast from all seasons were included in an episode. This is the final VOY episode to mention DS9, but it occurs in the past, which makes Pathfinder the final mention, chronologically. This is the only time Azan and Rebi appear without Icheb and Mezoti.

This episode explains Wildman’s pregnancy being of double-length due to the father being Ktarian. This rectifies the timeline problem of her getting pregnant on DS9 before they were lost in the Delta Quadrant, yet not giving birth until over a year later in late Season 2.

Kes’s hologram in engineering suggests that the malfunctions with the internal holoprojectors being installed throughout the ship for the Doctor to use in Persistence of Vision were eventually fixed, at least in part.

Tuvok is shown in the past here wearing a Commander’s pip despite not earning that rank until the 4th season. But it is an intentional continuity error done to match the existing continuity error of the first half of Season 1 that had Tuvok wearing that pip.

This is, chronologically, the first appearance of the Class-2 shuttles that previously debuted in Season 2’s Threshold. Paris’s offer to teach Kes how to pilot a shuttle is a prelude to him doing so in Season 2’s Parturition.

Janeway is partially in error when she says that Kes traveled back in time 3 years ago. In this specific instance, she traveled back in time 5 years. But, 3 years ago, Kes did travel back in time with the crew during Future’s End.

Kes’s mental attacks use an effect similar to the ones used by Gary Mitchell in Where No Man Has Gone Before.

This is the 2nd of 3, post-mid-Season 1, appearances by Joe Carey, the Assistant Chief Engineer of Voyager. The others being Relativity and the Season 7 episode Friendship One.

Ronald B. Moore was “very, very happy” with the footage of the Vidiian ship wrecking Voyager.

A promo edited to be SOOO misleading! [face_laugh]

VOY 624: Life Line
    -Premise: The Doctor is sent to the Alpha Quadrant to cure the dying creator of his program, Lewis Zimmerman, but the holographic engineer wants no part of him.

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Jupiter Station- almost bought that model… I like that they’re bringing back the ability of the Doctor to be transmitted to the Alpha Quadrant. It’d be odd if they didn’t attempt it a second time- though him forcing the issue through an untested means instead of sending his data in advance and taking “the next flight” feels too risky to jump into, despite the medical time pressure.

“Finally. I’ve accomplished something.”

The split screen effects and acting are effective enough that when Deanna walks in, I honestly forgot about how Zimmerman and the Doctor look like each other until Deanna asked who is who;

[​IMG]

Pretty good episode overall. Picardo getting to play against himself is as enjoyable as one would expect. Add to that the cameos by Deanna and Barclay, as well as the continuation of the Pathfinder subplot, and that makes this one Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Admiral Hayes, the Doctor, Barclay, Troi all appeared in First Contact, as did Ethan Phillips (though not as Neelix).

This is the only live-action Star Trek episode to have a writing credit by one of the cast members (Picardo). Walter Koening does have a writing credit on an episode of The Animated Series, however.

This is the only time any piece of the Enterprise-E is seen on a live action Star Trek TV series, via the background of Troi’s office. The Enterprise-E would be glimpsed at briefly in episodes of the Prodigy animated series.

Zimmerman guessing Voyager’s name to be Pinoeer is a nod towards the Pioneer program that preceded the Voyager program. Zimmerman’s reference to not having left Jupiter Station in 4 years is in reference to his trip to DS9. Though referenced multiple times on DS9 and VOY previously (and ENT later on), this is the first (and only) appearance of Jupiter Station.

Picardo: “I play not only The Doctor, but his programmer, Dr. Lewis Zimmerman. So I achieved a lifelong ambition of working with an actor who I've admired. Of course the hardest thing about acting with myself was coming up to my own level. I was very demanding, but also very generous, as an actor I gave myself everything I felt I deserved and more.”

“For years, it’s been hiding on Deck 12…”
    (note: it was actually only “months”)

VOY 625: The Haunting of Deck Twelve
    -Premise: While the USS Voyager is without power for several hours, Neelix tells the children a ghost story of the events that lead up to it… or is it more than just a story?

[​IMG]

-T2Q Comments: Shut down sequence interesting. I like how Icheb is basically nitpicking the technobabble like a fan would and Neelix basically gets down to the writer’s core POV that the details don’t matter, just the idea that Voyager was in trouble.

“Snacks are irrelevant. Continue the story!”

I like that when Tom gets shocked, Janeway doesn’t wait for it be over before signaling sickbay. Interesting that this premise mirrors a recent episode of SNW in regards to the Bussard collection process.

Episode walks the line between being a scary story and not being a scary story, but they frame it well enough. Surprised it didn’t air in Oct instead of May. Good Episode, But Not Necessarily Essential.

Trivia: Neelix never follows through on his intent to install curtains.

Up Next: 626 & 701: Unimatrix Zero, Parts I & II.

Sarge likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (for media embed limits, here's Voyager escaping the Vidiians, as well as updates to the Voyager resource and time travel logs)

Voyager Resources:

-3 fired in 622: Fury (34 remain)
    -3 fired in Alliances (31 remain)
    -7 fired in Dreadnought (24 remain)
    -3 fired in Resolutions (21 remain)
    -3 fired + 1 "Dispersal Pattern Sierra" (5 torpedos according to Yesterday's Enterprise, but we'll assume a minimum of 2) in Basics, Part I (between 13 to 16 remain)
    -1 fired in Future's End, Part II (between 12 to 15 remain)
    -1 fired in Rise (between 11 to 14 remain)
    -4 fired in Scorpion, Part II (between 7 to 10 remain) (complement claimed to be 32, which would leave 28 if that were correct)
    -5 fired in Hope and Fear (between 2 to 5 remain) (23 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as flare + 4 fired in 1st volley + 5 fired in 2nd volley + 3 deployed to collapse vortex in Night (between -11 to -8 remain (10 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired as depth charge in Thirty Days (between -12 to -9 remain) (9 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -2 fired in Counterpoint (between -14 to -11 remain) (7 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 detonated in Dark Frontier, Part I (-15 to -12 remain) (6 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired in Dark Frontier, Part II (between -21 to -18 remain) (0 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -6 fired ("full spread") in Think Tank (between -27 to -24 remain) (-6 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -9 fired (“one more outta do it”=2,+4+1+2) in Equinox, Part II (between -36 to -33 remain) (-15 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 transport-detonated in Child’s Play (between -37 to -34 remain) (-16 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -1 fired by Delta Flyer in Good Shepard (between -38 to -35 remain) (-17 if Scorpion claims were correct)
    -(3 fired during Fury, but set earlier in timeline; see new second entry above)

Time Travel Log:
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 3.5 Billion Years Ago; Jean Luc-Picard & Q; from alternate-2370)
    -TOS: All Our Yesterdays (2700 BC, Sarpedion Ice Age; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TOS: All Our Yesterdays (Undefined 17th Century-esque Sarpeidon; NCC-1701 crew; from 2268)
    -TNG: Time's Arrow, part I (1893; NCC-1701-D crew; from 2368)
    -TOS: The City on the Edge of Forever (1930: NCC-1701 crew; from 2267)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (1930; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Little Green Men (1947; Quark's Treasure crew; from 2372)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (1967; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (1967; Aeon; from 2373)
    -TOS: Assignment Earth (1968: NCC-1701; from 2268)
    -TOS: Tomorrow is Yesterday (1969: NCC-1701; from 2267)
    -ST4: The Voyage Home (1986: The Bounty crew, formerly of NCC-1701; from 2286)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (1996; NCC-74656; from 2372)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part II (1996; Aeon; from 29th Century)
    -PIC: Assimilation (2024; NCC-93131 CSS La Sirena from Alternate 2401)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part I (2024; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (2024; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Part II (2048; NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2371)
    -DIS: New Eden (2053; Red Angel #1 to Indiana; from 3186)
    -ST8: First Contact (2063; NCC-1701-E & Borg Sphere; from 2373)
    -DS9: Time's Orphan (2074; Molly O'Brien & alternate Molly O'Brien; from 2374)
    -TOS: The Tholian Web (2154 (Mirror Universe): NCC-1764 Defiant; from 2268)
    -DS9: Children of Time (alternate 2173; NX-74205 Defiant; from 2373)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity (2230’s; Red Angel #1 to Michael Burnham learning Vulcan salute; from 3186)
    -DIS: If Memory Serves (2236; Red Angel #1 to Young Spock; from 3186)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity (2237; Red Angel #1 to Michael Burnham’s 11th birthday; from 3186)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity (2249; Red Angel #1 to Michael Burnham’s graduation; from 3186)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity (2249; Red Angel #1 to Michael Burnham’s arrival on Shenzhou; from 3186)
    -DIS: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad (2256; NCC-1031 Discovery; timeloop from 2256)
    -DIS: If Memory Serves (2257; Red Angel #1 to Adult Spock; from 3186)
    -DIS: If Memory Serves (2257; Red Angel #1 to Adult Spock on ice planet; from 3186)
    -DIS: What’s Past is Prologue (2257; NCC-1031 Discovery; from 9 months earlier in 2257 (via the Mirror Universe))
    -DIS: Brother (2257; The Seven Red Bursts; from 2257)
    -DIS: Brother (2257; Red Angel #2, via Red Burst #1: Interstellar Asteroid about 24 hours after Bursts First Detected; from 2257)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (2257; NCC-1031 Shuttle DSC-05 w/Christopher Pike & Ash Tyler; from 1 week in the future)
    -DIS: New Eden (2257; Red Angel #2 via Red Burst #2: Terralysium; from 2257)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity & Obol For Charon (2257; Red Angel #1 to Sphere Lifeform; from 3186)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (2257; NCC-1031 Shuttle DSC-05 w/Christopher Pike & Ash Tyler; from 1 day in the future)
    -DIS: The Sound of Thunder (2257; Red Angel #2, via Red Burst #3: Kaminar; from 2257)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (2257; Control-Upgraded Probe; from 28th Century)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (2257; Paul Stametz via transporter; from 10 minutes in the future)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (2257; NCC-1031 Shuttle DSC-05 w/Christopher Pike & Ash Tyler; from 8 minutes in the past)
    -DIS: The Red Angel (2257; Red Angel #1, via Red Burst #3.5: Essof IV; from 3186)
    -DIS: Through the Valley of Shadow (2257; Red Angel #2, via Red Burst #4: Boreth; from 2257)
    -DIS: Such Sweet Sorrow (2257; Red Angel #2, via Red Burst #5: Xahea; from 2257)
    -DIS: Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2 (2258; Red Burst #7: Terralysium via Red Angel #2; from 3187)
    -TOS: The Naked Time (2266: NCC-1701 goes back in time 3 days; from 2266)
    -DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations (2268: NX-74205 Defiant crew; from 2373)
    -DS9: Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night (2349; Kira Nerys (via Orb of Time); from 2374)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 2364; Jean Luc-Picard; from alternate-2370)
    -TNG: Time Squared (2365: Picard goes 6 hours into the past; from 2365)
    -TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise (2366 (Standard & FKW Universes); NCC-1701-C goes forward through a temporal rift; from 2344)
    -TNG: Captain's Holiday (2366; Vorgons; from 27th Century, approx. 2666)
    -TNG: Future Imperfect (False-2383; Will Riker. NCC-1701-D; from 2367)
    -TNG: A Matter of Time (2368; Berlinghoff Rasmussen; from 22nd Century, using 26th Century technology)
    -TNG: Cause and Effect (2368; NCC-1701-D ends up 17 days in the future after timeloop; from 2368)
    -TNG: Time's Arrow, part II (2368; Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens; from 1893)
    -VOY: Before and After (2369; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2370)
    -TNG: Firstborn (2370; Alexander; from 2410)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2370; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2371)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (2370; Jean Luc-Picard from alternate-2370)
    -VOY: Relativity (2371; Seven of Nine; from 29th Century Period 1)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2371; Alternate-Braxton & Seven of Nine; from Alternate 2372)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2371; Kess (mentally) from 2373)
    -VOY: Time and Again (2371; NCC-74656 crew go back in time 1 day; from alternate-2371)
    -DS9: Visionary (2371; Miles flashes forward in time between 3.5 & 5 hours six times; from 2371)
    -VOY: Eye of the Needle (2371; data and Romulan; from 2351)
    -ST7: Generations (2371; Picard and Kirk through the Nexus from 2371 & 2293)
    -VOY: Fury (2371; Kes from alternate 2376)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2372; Alternate Braxton & Seven of Nine; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively)
    -VOY: Relativity (Prime 2372; Prime Braxton & Janeway; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (2373; Aeon; from Alternate 29th Century)
    -VOY: Before and After (2373; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2374)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2374; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2378)
    -DS9: Time's Orphan (2374; alternate Molly O'Brien; from alternate 2084)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2375; Alternate Braxton from 29th Century Period 2 & Crew from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 2 & Period 1, respectively [both offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-II 2375; Crew from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 1[offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-III 2375; Lt. Ducane & Unknown Crewmember from NCV-474439-G Relativity; from 29th Century Period 1)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate-IV 2375; Alternate-Braxton & Seven of Nine; from 2371)
    -VOY: Relativity (Prime 2375; Janeway & Seven; from 29th Century Period 1)
    -VOY: Before and After (alternate 2378; Kess (mentally) from alternate 2379)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 2395; Jean Luc-Picard & Q; from alternate-2370)
    -DIS: Light and Shadows (28th Century; NCC-1031 Probe; from 2257)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate 2375 [offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate-II 2375 [offscreen])
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine; from 2371)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine w/Relativity crew; from Alternate-III 2375)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Seven of Nine, Janeway & Alternate-Braxton; from Alternate-IV 2375)
    -VOY: Relativity (29th Century; Janeway & Prime-Braxton; from 2372)
    -DIS: Perpetual Infinity (3186; Gabrielle Burnham, via Red Angel #1; from 2236)
    -DIS: Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2 (3187; Burnham via Red Angel #2 & Red Burst #6: Control Battlespace; from 2257)
    -DIS: Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2 (3188; NCC-1031 via Red Angel #2 & Red Burst #6: Control Battlespace; from 2257)

Alternate Universe Log:

-DIS: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad (~56 alternate 2256s resulting from Mudd timeloop)
    -DIS: Into the Forest I Go (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: Despite Yourself (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: The Wolf Inside (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: Vaulting Ambition (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: What’s Past is Prologue (Mirror Universe)
    -DIS: If Memory Serves (Alternate “Young Michael’s Vulcan Death” universe, Alternate “All Sentient Life Destroyed” Future Universe)
    -DIS: The Red Angel (Alternate “Adult Michael’s Suffocation Death” timeline [implied])
    -DIS: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow (“Death of bridge crew” timeline)
    -TOS: The Alternative Factor (Anti-Matter Universe)
    -TOS: Mirror, Mirror (Mirror Universe)
    -TOS: The Tholian Web (Mirror Universe & "Solo-Kirk" Universe)
    -TNG: We'll Always Have Paris (Simultaneous Continuum universes, "Manheim Dimension")
    -TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise (Federation-Klingon War universe)
    -TNG: Remember Me (Beverly Crusher-created Warp Bubble Reality)
    -TNG: Cause and Effect (failed timeloop occurrences)
    -TNG: Timescape (aliens from alternate timeline, alternate outcome of Enterise's destruction)
    -TNG: Parallels ("Original" universe, "Surprise Party w/Chocolate Cake" universe, "Surprise Party w/Yellow Cake" universe, "9th place Concussion" universe, "Blue Dress/Moved Battle Painting" universe, "Blue Uniform/Moved Starship Painting"; "Married w/no kids" universe, "First Officer Worf/Married with Children" universe; "Borg-Controlled" universe, "Altered Original" universe)
    -DS9: Crossover (Mirror Universe)
    -TNG: All Good Things... (alternate 3.5 Billion Years Ago, alternate 2364, alternate-2370 & alternate 2395)
    -DS9: Past Tense, Parts I & II (Alternate Federationless 2371)
    -DS9: Visionary (Alternate 2371 outcomes including the destruction of DS9; resulting from Miles' timeflashes)
    -DS9: Through the Looking Glass (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Emanations (Vhnori dimension)
    -ST7: Generations (alternate "Destructon of Veridian III" timeline)
    -VOY: Non Sequitur (alternate Kim Earth)
    -DS9: The Visitor (alternate death-of-Sisko timeline)
    -DS9: Shattered Mirror (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Future's End, Part I (Alternate 29th Century)
    -ST8: First Contact (Altermate Borg Earth 23rd Century)
    -VOY: Before and After (Alternate 2369, 2370, 2371, 2374, 2378 & 2379)
    -DS9: Children of Time (Alternate 2173 through 2373 for energy barrier-encased planet)
    -VOY: Year of Hell, Parts I & II (Alternate 2374s)
    -DS9: Resurrection (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Timeless (Alternate 2375 "original crash" & "repeat crash" timelines, Alternate 2390)
    -DS9: The Emperor's New Cloak (Mirror Universe)
    -VOY: Relativity (Alternate 2371 “tour interrupted”, 2372 “Janeway finds Seven”, Alternate I-III 2375 “Voyager destroyed” & Alternate-IV 2375 “Ping Pong interrupted”)
    -VOY: Fury (Alternate 2376 “Torres killed” timeline)
    -PIC: Assimilation (Alternate Confederation 2401)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    PCCViking likes this.