main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Make a Memory/A Man's Heart, A Jedi's Will -Qui-Gon/Jorlica vignettes-updated 5/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, that's so sad. I liked how they met even though she was a lady of the evening. And they were able to connect in ways other than of the flesh. How sad and lovely.

Great job!

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awww that was so sweet! and sad! Very very well done. I like how well you've portrayed her. Perhaps -- a longer story with Jorlica will be in the works?? I like her .. she's a very neat OC, full of depth and emotion. Well done!

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was sooooo sweet and lovely! Best out of the 3! I loved how he was embarrassed that morn ;) and Qui would be too! I am glad that in your fic land (hehehe) Qui found some comfort on those lonely nights! Poor guy... shoot I'd almost pity all those guys and gals... even Mace! ;) hehehe

Great work! Another masterpiece of well written art! :D

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    VaderLVR-- that was beautiful. You've captured the heart of Qui-Gon wonderfully well in these.

5. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

I reackons it was amazing too, almost makes me like qui-gon for a second and your oc is great, nice one.

6. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004

Over the next few years, there would be gifts that unexpectedly turned up at her apartment. They were never expensive, but always thoughtful. She would come home every day to see if the message light was blinking on her com and studiously ignored the happy lurch in her stomach when it was. He always asked if he could come by, he never assumed that she would welcome his company. But she always did, and found in the large warrior a heart that was both generous and warm.

When they were together, it was only the two of them; two lonely souls reaching out for comfort and basking in the warmth of friendship in a cold galaxy.

This seems so much like Qui-Gon. I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but this one was very touching. Nice work.

7. MY-T-Chewbacca

MY-T-Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2004
    I really liked Jorlica in this one. Qui-Gon seems to be quite in character, a bit of a rebel and pretty much intent on doing things his own way. I think my favorite is the one with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan shows a lot of insight into his master's personality. Great work.

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I liked this! Why didn't you tell me you did this? Loved it.

But it was the smile that had drawn his attention. It was sweet and shy and completely out of place for what he knew she did to earn her money. He saw her eyes dart over toward him once again, though she looked away quickly once she saw him staring at her.

I really like Jorlica, she seems very sweet. Great work.

9. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *sighs* Oh, I loved this, Kimberley. [face_love] It was so beautiful...but so sad, since Qui-Gon won't be coming back. :( I wonder how she will react when she learns of his death.

But still, this was so beautiful... I loved that he bought food for her, something she could use, and that he treated her with dignity and respect. She isn't there because she wants to be. [face_plain] :( Although I think he ended up forming an attachment after all, the naughty man. ;)

This is actually the first time I've wandered over to Before the Saga, but I'm definitely going to have to come more often, if only to see what else you've written. [face_mischief]

Great job. [face_love]

10. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    I really liked all three of these. Jorlica is amazing, she really is portrayed as a warm and caring woman. Nice take on a delicate subject.

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks to everyone for such a positive response. This was a tricky subject, so it makes me feel better to know that I may have done it right!

Shaindl Thank you so much! I wanted to make him very much in character, just a side we don't get to see often. I think Obi-Wan learned compassion for the less fortunate from Qui-Gon, at least in part.

Layren Ah yes, our lovable big gundark! Well at least Obi-Wan thanked her, LOL! [face_blush] I am toying with the idea of giving her a scene in the Stronger Than Death sequel. But right now it's just an evil plot bunny rumaging around in the garden.

Healer_Leona I also saw her as a sad character who didn't really get what she deserved. What is sad is that SHE doesn't think she deserved any better either. But Qui-Gon didn't have his heart to give, and I think she understood that. Thanks so much for reading! I'm in awe of your work, so knowing you spent time to read mine is a real compliment!

sdhfs Whack the one who gave me a brilliant plot bunny? No way! Thanks for reading!

AnakinsHeir Thanks so much for reading.

VadersMistress Thank you, sweetie! I'm glad to know you read some of my stuff.

Kynstar Well, you know those Jedi, they may not get attached, but... Thanks for reading! Our Qui-Gon is a gentleman, so naturally he would be distressed. But he'd be darn cute while blushing! [face_laugh]

Vongchild Odd subject yes, but blame the challenge. Nope, he never makes it back to her!

dianethx Thank you so much! I'm glad you think I did our lovely Qui justice.

MY-T-Chewbacca Thank you very much for reading.

Fate Thanks for wandering over to the Before board. There are so many good writers here I think you'll come back for more! Thank you for reading, it was an odd little plot bunny, but now I love Jorlica!

DreamOfKenobi Thank you for reading!

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I loved the story of their first meeting, VL! I could see Qui wandering around the lower levels trying to figure out how to get rid of the hole in his heart. Very sweet. I really do like Jorlica - would like to see more of her soon.

Shaindl

13. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I thought Qui-Gonn's love died before TPM, but still a great fic! And to imagine a Jedi drinking whiskey!

14. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

tahl did die before, that was his love i think lol

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    So is Jorlica going to appear in In the Service of The Order ;) I had to read this again and I hope very much that she does :)

16. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Okay, hadn?t read this before, so I?m going to respond in order:

You Always Remember

Jorlica is extremely well portrayed. She seems like a thoughtful and intelligent person, who?s had a lot of bad luck in her life and somehow through the years has learned to cope with it. I love the sentence where she worries about her beauty fading, which makes her very realistic and I didn?t know what to make of it until the end when I learned about her profession. This really comes as a surprise. Only when I read it again, I recognised all the little hints. The story is both beautiful and heartbreaking, because we all know what happened afterwards. Very well done.

I?ll Never Forget

?And if the price were right?? There was the faintest hint of bitterness in her voice.

Great sentence. It shows how much she hates her job, but has somehow found a way to accept it.

?We?re not required to be celibate, we are merely forbidden to form attachments.? This time it was his voice that held a note of bitterness.

In some way it is the same for Qui-Gon. Through his life as a Jedi he has lost Tahl, with whom he was never allowed to have a relationship.

She shrugged but would not meet his eyes. ?As much as someone like me can love, I guess.?

This part shows her character very well. She?s realistic, but not overly bitter.

?I?m glad he has you to remember him, too.?

I found this sentence heart-breaking. It shows that Jedi don?t have many people who remember them, probably because they are not allowed to form attachments and how Obi-Wan obviously resents that fact after Qui-Gon?s death. He clearly wants him to be remembered, but there are not many besides him who will.

To Make a Memory

I like how Qui-Gon immediately realises that Jorlica is special and how she realises it in the same instant. They seem to be drawn to each other, each giving the other a few hours of respite from their real lives and responsibilities, a few hours of comfort, which is hard to get in both their professions, if in a very different way.

It?s really the little things that make these three pieces so realistic, like the fact that Jorlica contradicts Obi-Wan about where she knows him from. There?s nothing so extremely special about it that you won?t be able to believe it, but it?s more an everyday special. I hope I?m getting across here what I?m talking about. In just a few words you?re describing very diverse characters.

Great work! =D=

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Blame it on Alderaan
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jorlica (OC)
    Summary: Qui-Gon returns from a mission with a little something for a friend.

Blame it on Alderaan

?Oh, Qui-Gon,? she breathed reverently. ?It?s beautiful.?

He smiled as tears gathered in her eyes. ?You deserve something almost as lovely as you are, Jorlica,? he murmured as he nuzzled her neck. He felt her pulse speed up under his lips.

?You shouldn?t have,? she protested half-heartedly.

Qui-Gon quirked one eyebrow at her. ?So you didn?t just celebrate a Life Day?? He asked her.

Jorlica blushed and nodded. ?Yes, but really, I didn?t expect-?

He cut off her words by thoroughly kissing her and when he was done she had trouble remembering exactly what she had been saying. Shaking her head, she laughed at him. ?You just can?t stand to lose an argument, can you Master Jedi?? Jorlica cradled his face in her hands. ?You?ll even cheat to win.?

?Kissing you is cheating?? he chuckled.

?Yes,? she answered. ?You steal my thoughts when you kiss me like that.?

?If your thoughts are as sweet as your lips then perhaps I should pay more attention.?

Pulling back slightly, she tilted her head. ?My, you?ve certainly become quite the romantic!? she teased.

Grimacing, he shrugged. ?It?s all because of Alderaan, I suppose.?

?Blame it on Alderaan, huh?? She giggled as she moved to the mirror to admire the shimmering necklace against her skin. ?What are the stones called?? She asked as she twisted to see them gleam even more brightly in the direct light.

He glided up behind her and touched the necklace. ?The stones are called ?Stars of Alderaan,? and they reminded me of you.?

Jorlica met his eyes in the mirror. ?So you were thinking of me then??

Resting his big hands her shoulders, he squeezed lightly. ?You are never far from my thoughts, Jor.?

?I?m sure you are much too busy to waste time thinking about someone like me,? she demurred.

Turning her around to face him, he frowned at her. ?And why would ?someone like you? be any less worthy of my time??

She refused to meet his eyes and moved slightly to remove her shoulders from his grasp. ?You know what I mean, Qui.?

He planted his hands on his hips and spread his feet, in the position she always thought of as his ?battle station.? ?No, I?m afraid I don?t.?

?Who I am, what I am-?

A loud groan from her lover interrupted her. ?Stars above, Jorlica! I can?t believe we are going to cover this territory yet again!? He was scowling now and worrying his bottom lip.

She took a deep breath. ?You?re right, Qui. I?m sorry,? she said quietly. ?None of that matters when you?re here with me.? She slid into his embrace with practiced ease and began to kiss a trail from his collar bone to that sensitive place just beneath his ear, rising up on her toes to reach it.

His arms tightened around her but he did not move in any other way.

Murmuring against his throat, she chided him. ?You?re not going to hold a grudge, are you?? She nipped at his flesh. ?That is not the Jedi way.?

Grunting his response, he picked her up in his arms and carried her to his chair in the corner. ?When I am here, I am not a Jedi.? He brushed back her chestnut curls and kissed her forehead. ?With you, I am just Qui-Gon Jinn. That?s all.?

Meeting his eyes, she said solemnly, ?And that is more than enough for me.?

?Do you like your gift?? He said, his eyes twinkling.

?It?s lovely,? she replied. ?It?s the most beautiful thing I?ve ever owned.? She frowned at him. ?But how did you af-? Breaking off her words, she blushed.

?How did a poor Jedi Master afford such a piece?? He asked dryly. Waving his hand in front of her face, he spoke in a deep and solemn voice. ?We Jedi have our ways, you know.?

?You wouldn?t use your powers for something like this,? she argued. ?I know you better than that.?

Grinning, he nodded. ?You?re right. I must set a good example for Obi-Wan, you know.?

?Of course,? she replied with great seriousness.

18. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was so beautiful and so sweet!!

I'm glad to see more of Jorlica! She's one of my favorite Female OC's :D Bravo!!

Yay! I got first review! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

19. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    That was great!!! [face_dancing] I was so happy to see that there was another one! Yay!! :D

Great work! hehehe Ahhh the beauty of Alderaan hehehe

Loved the interaction between the two :D [face_love] Warm fuzzies through and through!

20. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I know how much you love Jorlica and Qui-Gon, so it's no surprise that you've written them again in February. Supposedly the month of love. What a crock! :mad:

But I loved this! [:D]

21. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    That was so sweet! Qui-Gon blaming it all on Alderaan! [face_laugh]

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely. I'm so glad he thought enough about her to get her such a lovely gift. Sweet and sadly beautiful. Great job.

23. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Awww, how sweet! I love these two together!

24. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I meant to read this and then completely forgot about it. :eek: Sorry about that.
    I really like Jorlica and the way Qui-Gon and her act around each other. This one was sweet,although all of the vigs have a sad tone to it. The thought is never far that what they have is really just a refuge and can't hold for long.
    I loved it. :)

25. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Poor Qui-Gon! He doesn't like it when he waxes poetic! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.