main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "To Overcome", Sequel to Timoritus, L/M, Ben, H/L - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Title: To Overcome
    Author: ginchy
    Rating: PG
    Category: Drama, Angst
    Characters: Mara Jade Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, Ben Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo, Han Solo, assorted others.
    Summary: Sequel to Timoritus. At the end of Timoritus, Mara decided not to reveal her poison induced nightmare to Luke. What consequences will she now have to bear?
    Notes: Here it is, the beginning to the promised sequel to Timoritus. There will be a PM chapter or two thrown in here for good measure, and I can?t believe I?m back to writing angst. ;) There will, however, be fluff to balance it all out, of course. Never fear. Hope you all enjoy! Special thanks to RedGold for the beta!

?Look! Daddy, look!? Ben Skywalker, his hair full of soap and sticking up in odd angles around his face, held up sudsy hands and blew into them, laughing as bubbles flew all around his face.

His father laughed and imitated his son, scooping his own hands into the water and blowing bubbles back towards the giggly child.

Mara Jade Skywalker shook her head at the two boys in her life from her position kneeling next to the tub. She held a washcloth in her hand, but Ben was having none of it, more intent on playing with his father, than on the task of getting clean.

?And see! I can do that--? Ben dabbed a bit of bubbles onto the tip of his nose and then made a theatrical show of blowing them off. The multi-colored bubbles mesmerized him and he threw his head back to watch them float upwards into the air. ?Astral,? he said quietly, almost reverently.

Luke Skywalker, sleeves rolled up and also kneeling beside the tub, chuckled, before splashing a bit of the water at Ben and knocking him from his examination of the suds.

?Dad!? Ben called, eyes widening. He splashed back, laughing delightedly as the water edged over the rim of the tub and collided with his father?s gray tunic.

Luke looked comically down at the dark patch of wetness on his shirt before grinning menacingly at Ben and stirring up the water in the tub into a mini tidal wave. Ben squealed, holding on to his Dad?s arm with one hand and splashing and slapping at the water with the other.

?Hey!? Mara called a halt to the water-war. ?Remember me, kiddo? The one with the washcloth??

Ben looked up, eyes zeroing in on the cloth in Mara?s hand. The water around him continued to swish violently around his small body. Luke, poised to create another churning wave in the water, looked over at his wife, sheepishly removing his hand from the tub. Mara gazed back and forth between the identical looks of chagrin on their faces, and hid a small smile.

?Come on, Ben? We?ve played enough. Time to get you cleaned up and ready for bed,? Luke said, after a beat, taking the cloth from Mara and handing it to the youngster. Ben was at the age where he could wash most of his own body, though he still needed some help.

But Ben shook his head, dropping the cloth into the sudsy water.

?Ben?? Mara started, warningly.

Ben began fishing around in the water. ?I can?t find the washcloth, Mommy,? he said seriously, holding both empty hands up as proof. ?It?s disappeared under the bubbles.?

?It has, has it?? Mara asked, sliding an eye towards Luke. He nodded at her almost imperceptibly, hand searching for the cloth evading Ben?s notice. ?Washcloths [i]are[/i] tricky that way, I guess.?

?Yup,? Ben said, pushing his legs around in the tub, scattering water up the sides. ?Guess that means I don?t have to get clean tonight,? he said, blue eyes bright with hope.

?Well,? Mara began, ?I guess??

She was cut off by Ben?s squeal as Luke began scrubbing his back with the rogue washcloth.

Mara shook her head. ?Good thing Daddy found it for you. That was a close one. You almost had to go to bed without being clean!?

Ben sighed audibly, the air from his mouth making the bubbles on his face take flight ag

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    All nice and loverly mush then you drop this on us... evil woman... pure evil... ;)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi, Your Majesty Fluff Queen: [face_laugh]

Loved the water play and the bubbles. :D :D Ben was too precious; love his pajamas and the storytelling by Luke in different voices. A sweet family moment.

Then :eek: :eek: Mara and Luke were getting their "groove" on and then she had the flashback/ vision. :( :(
    Gosh, she's as fragile as she was if not more, as she was in "Bearing the Chosen." Poor Luke, too. He's gonna have a hard time of it, but her road is going to be the hardest. *sigh*
    This is going to be a terrific read, I can already tell. :) :)
    Please put me at the top of any PM list? @};-

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Very nice start to this story. Man you went from one extreme to the other. Nice fluffy family stuff and then bam!--Horrible flashbacks! Please put me on your PM list.

AG88

5. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Very great start here Ginchy!!!

Interesting flashbacks from the poisoning episode from Timoritus, I can't wait to find out wehre you're taking this.

PM's please! :D

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Yippee! More from you![face_dancing]

Why am I not surprised that this starts in a bathtub???:p

Nice job! I like how you interspersed the original into the sequel.

These are my favorite. See?this is Daddy?s X-Wing, and Uncle Wedge?s?? Ben pointed to each ship, naming pilots to go with them. That's too cute! Reminds me of an interview with Mark Hamill where he said his son had the Star Wars action figures and refered to the Luke Skywalker action figure as his "daddy doll."

Mara's going to have a lot of sleepless nights if she thinks she can just wait out the nightmares instead of dealing with why they still bother her.

Can't wait for more!=D=

7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Yay! I've been waiting for this :D

It makes such perfect sense that Mara wouldn't be able to get over her experience so soon. It must be terrible for her, to fear her dreams becoming reality and unable to forget.

But loved the bath scene [face_love] You sure know how to suck us all in, don't you? ;)

8. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    It's begun! :D =D=

I've been eagerly anticipating this sequel. [face_dancing] What a start! I shivered when the realization was made to reader and Mara that Ben/Luke were in their same garb that she saw in her nightmare. This looks like it will be an interesting and long night for Mara.

Ben requesting Luke to tell the story with different voices reminds me of one very talented voice-over actor. [face_batting]

You know how some artists have periods in their work and they name it 'Blue' or whatever? I think we have a name for yours, dear ginchy. The Bubbles and Bath-time Period. ;)

Loving the reality you are already putting us into. [:D] =D=

edit: Whoops! Forgot to request to be on the PM list, please.

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Lovely family scene. And it's a bathtub scene. ;)
    Poor Mara. Not a fun thing to remember.

10. Bianka_Kenobi

Bianka_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    Yay! i didn't know there was going to be a sequel! can i get PM's?

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    A great follow-up! Yes, Mara should've thrown those pajamas in the incinerator.

?I guess,? Ben said, unwrapping his arms from his dad and laying down. ?Will you do the different voices??

?Don?t I always?? Luke asked, walking to the shelf to select a story.

I can just picture Mark H. doing his repertoire of voices to read his own kids bedtime stories when they were little. :)

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Perfect start to the sequel, ginch! =D=

Such a lovely family scene, with little Ben in the tub. I just adore Daddy!Luke. [face_love]

Aaaaaand then the PTSD begins? [face_worried] Mara?s a fighter. She can do this. *deep breath*

Add me to the PM list, please. And go ahead and sign me up for those PM chapters, too. ;)

Can't wait for more! :D

13. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Gasp! Ginchy, you?re updating this story?!?! I had to read the first one peaking out from behind my fingers. Oooh, it gives me the jibbly-jibblies.

Please include me on your PM list.

14. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    RedGold: Thanks for reading, and the beta! And, ack! Me? Evil? Must come from hanging out with you and JadeLotus. ;) [face_laugh]

Jade_eyes: Hee, hi! Thanks! I loved the idea of Mara and Luke giving Ben his bath, I can just imagine that in my mind. Yes, I think Mara will have a tough time with these ?visions?, but she?s a tough gal, so we?ll see what happens. This is going to be a terrific read, I can already tell. [:D] You?re so sweet; thank you! And I will gladly PM you when I update!

academygrad88: Thanks, gal! Yes, I did hop from mush right back into horror, didn?t I? Maybe I?ve begun a new genre? LOL I will certainly PM you when I update!

Kidan: Thank you! I hope to be able to tie it all together! I will PM you for sure!

divapilot: Diva! The new Mush Queen. ;) Hey, gal! Why am I not surprised that this starts in a bathtub??? Okay, you?ve caught me, I may as well confess. My name is Amanda, and I?m a bath-a-holic. ;) Hey, write what you know, right? ;) Daddy Doll! That?s adorable! [face_love] Mara's going to have a lot of sleepless nights if she thinks she can just wait out the nightmares instead of dealing with why they still bother her. Oh, yeah. She?s going to have to face up to these nightmares sooner or later? eep! Thanks for the review!!

JadeLotus: Hooray! I?ve missed you, gal! Thanks for reading! You sure know how to suck us all in, don't you? Well, I HAVE been perfecting that? Glad to see my master scheme works! ;) :D

MirandaFair: Hey, twin! Wow, thank you!! Glad I could get the sequel starting?it?s been percolating for a LONG time in my brain! Ben requesting Luke to tell the story with different voices reminds me of one very talented voice-over actor. Eep! Caught! LOL I?ll admit, I was watching ?Empire of Dreams? and his Yoda voice just made me have to put that in the story! You know how some artists have periods in their work and they name it 'Blue' or whatever? I think we have a name for yours, dear ginchy. The Bubbles and Bath-time Period. I LOVE it! :D Problem is, I don?t think I?ll ever leave the Bubbles and Bath period! I am a bath-a-holic! ;) I will PM you most assuredly, gal!

RebelMom: Thanks for reading! Hee, yes me and the baths!! Yes, I can?t believe I?m doing this to poor Mara. I need to write her some mush and farmboy!lovin? to make it up to her. :D

Bianka_Kenobi: Thanks! Yes, I will definitely PM you!

Jedi-2B: Thank you!! I don?t see a bright future for those PJs come morning. And the voice changes?I couldn?t help myself! :D

Jedi Trace: Thanks, lady! I adore Daddy!Luke, too. Can you tell? [face_laugh] Aaaaaand then the PTSD begins? Mara?s a fighter. She can do this. *deep breath* Oh, I know! She is a fighter, I believe she?ll make it to the other side, but there are a lot of issues to deal with! I?ll have to make it up to her in those PM chapters. ;) I will positively PM you, and send you those special chapters, too! :D

Blue_Milkshake: Thank you for reading, even if the first story gave you the jibbly-jibblies! (Love that word!) To be honest?the first one gave them to ME, too! I?ve no idea how I, Mush Queen, came up with this much angst. ;) LOL I will PM you most definitely!

And, to everyone who read: [:D]

I hope to have chapter 2 up within the next week! :)

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Aiya. That's some bad after-affect she's going through there. Wow.

Loved the bath scene. Well done.

16. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I am SO glad that you started this sequel. I loved the first story so much. Just like all your stories I see a wonderful plot forming. Do not want to swell your head, but you can turn out such great humorous tales, but can also construct heart wrenching stories like "Timoritus" in a heart beat. After looking at your bio I know another reason I like your stuff, you love your little kitty just like I love mine![face_love] Kudos!=D= Please put me on your PM list please.[face_praying] I do not want to miss anything.@};-

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! And can I request to be on your PM list? [face_praying]

?If you get scared, just call for one of us, son. We?ll be right here,? Luke promised, turning down Ben?s bed and helping him into it.

?No? Daddy!? Ben wrapped his arms around Luke?s neck. ?Wanna sleep with you?? he mumbled.

?Why don?t I read you a story?? Luke suggested.

?In your bed?? Ben asked, still on top of things, even exhausted.

?No, here in your bed,? Luke answered.

?I guess,? Ben said, unwrapping his arms from his dad and laying down. ?Will you do the different voices??

?Don?t I always?? Luke asked, walking to the shelf to select a story.

I can't wait to see what's coming next! =D=

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    You know, I remember reading the first post of Timoritus and running for the hills, not because it was at all badly written, but just that it was the sort of angst that I just can't handle well. Recently I realized that Mara hadn't really killed Luke and Ben, so I peeked cautiously in here, and was really caught by the following lines:

Mara turned over and glared at him. ?Using your Jedi Master voice isn?t going to make me tell you,? she snapped irritably.

?And your anger won?t make me stop asking,? Luke replied mildly.

That characterization is absolutely perfect. I love it. And the rest of the post is very well written, too. So I'm going to try to be brave and dive in with this story, and go back and read Timoritus, too. It's weird; usually I really like angst, but the Timoritus scenario creeps me out big time. [face_worried] Which means that you're quite the successful angst writer, really. You sure scared me. :p But really, very well done. I'll try to be braver this time. :)

19. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    Yes! Finally! Timortus sequel! SQUEEEEEE!!! ^_^ *does happy dance*

More, I beg you! More!

20. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    DaenaBenjen42: Thanks! I do love writing bath scenes. Strange that no one has noticed. ;) Yes, the aftereffect is bad, but Mara?s tough. We?ll see how she handles it. You and I are writing similar scenarios, aren't we? I just thought of that! Maybe we should compare notes. ;)

JEDIFLYSWATTER: Hey, you! Thanks for reading! :D Do not want to swell your head, but you can turn out such great humorous tales, but can also construct heart wrenching stories like "Timoritus" in a heart beat. Awww, thank you! That means a lot to me, as I?m always iffy on writing anything that?s not fluffy or humor based. [:D] And, yes, I love my baby-cat! =^..^= Always wonderful to know a fellow cat-fan! I will most certainly PM you!

VaderLVR64: Thank you for reading! I will PM you most definitely! :D

Gabri_Jade: Not to worry! I think that first post of ?Timoritus? scared a lot of people to the hills. It scared me and I wrote it! I?m glad you liked the lines between Luke and Mara, I can really hear Mara saying that to him. My husband is generally very even-keeled and sometimes I just want him to raise his voice and shout, so I try to provoke it. I think Mara might do that, too, out of frustration--on occasion. Which means that you're quite the successful angst writer, really. You sure scared me. Thanks! :D Is it strange that I feel excited I scared someone? [face_laugh] I think the idea of a mother murdering a child is just very scary at it?s core?movies with that premise always freak me out! Thank you for taking a chance on me!

angel_gidget: Oh, a happy dance! *jigs along* Thanks! I hope to have more posted by week?s end. :D

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sending a pleading, begging uppie. :D
    Longing for an update.
    Please don't get writer's block. ;) ;)
    I for one couldn't stand it. :D

22. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Hi, Jade_eyes! Thanks for the up! No worries with writer's block--in fact, I think I have TOO much to stuff into this fic! LOL It is all mapped out... I just to find more time to write. But I do promise an update soon. :D

23. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Yipeeeee! A sequel! I love it and please add me to your PM list. =D=

24. mdylopez

mdylopez Jedi Knight

May 8, 2006
    Eagerly awaiting the next chapter . . . [face_dancing]
    Timoritus is one of my favorites but I had always felt the last chapter was open-ended.
    Now, there's a sequel. Yes!

25. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Jade_Pilot: Thanks, gal! You?ve been added! :D

mdylopez: Thank you so much! I?m so pleased you enjoyed ?Timoritus?; I hope this one delivers as well! :D

Chapter 2 took on a mind of its own... So what I originally planned for chapter 2 has been pushed to chapter 3. Hope this was worth the wait! Thanks so much for reading, everyone! :D And thanks to RedGold for looking this over and telling me that it wasn't as cheesy as I thought it was! ;)

[u][b][i]"To Overcome"[/i] Chapter 2[/b][/u]

Buttery yellow morning light slanted over the kitchen counters, producing a wide path of light which Mara stood in, emptying the remains of Ben?s breakfast into the disposal.

Distantly, she could hear Ben high little voice talking to Luke, but she couldn?t hear what they were discussing. If the conversation at breakfast could be any indication, Ben was begging his father to tell him more stories of Rogue Squadron. Luke had highly edited the tales of he and his fellow pilots, and Ben loved to listen to them on the mornings he wore his favorite pajamas.

[i]A dead little boy, in footed pajamas?[/i]

Mara scowled, pushing closed the door to the compactor, frustrated that its internal catch didn?t allow her to slam it. She turned it on, and listened for a moment to its quiet whirl, before turning and leaving the kitchen. Ben and Luke?s voices grew louder as she walked the hall towards Ben?s bedroom, and any other time she would have smiled at Ben?s exuberance over his father?s stories.

[i]A dead father, and son?[/i]

?Momma!? Ben looked up as she entered the room.

[i]Murderer.[/i]

Mara swallowed. ?Why aren?t you dressed yet??

Luke chuckled. ?He wants to wear his pajamas today. I told him they might be a bit too warm after awhile.?

Ben was shaking his head, and Mara?s lips quirked, just a bit. ?Sorry, kiddo. I think Daddy?s right.? She eyed her son for a moment. ?Give me the pajamas and I?ll take care of them.?

?But they don?t need to be washed!? Ben stuck out his lower lip in protest. ?I wanna wear them tonight.?

?We?ll see, buddy,? Luke said, helping Ben out of them. ?For now, let?s give them to Mom.?

Luke handed them over. ?Thanks,? Mara said, her voice sounding dry to her own ears. Neither Luke nor Ben seemed to notice, both rifling through a drawer of the boy?s shirts, looking for one he would actually wear.

?What time is it?? Luke asked absently.

?0920,? Mara answered from the doorway, as she turned to leave. ?You don?t have to come to my appointment??

Luke cut her off. ?You know better than that, Mara.? He turned and smiled at her, to soften his words.

She didn?t answer, but walked back to the kitchen, clutching Ben?s pajamas in her hand. Entering the kitchen quickly she opened the trash compactor and stared down into it, fabric bunched in her hand.

Ben?s favorite pajamas.

[i]Through unseeing eyes, and sharply turned neck, little Ben glared accusingly at his mother. ?Murderer,? he gasped out the adult word in his baby voice.[/i]

Closing her eyes, Mara threw the pajamas into the trash.

?Hey,? Luke said, sticking his head into the kitchen. ?Ben?s dressed. You almost ready to leave??

The garbage compactor whirled to a start as Mara flipped its switch. ?Yes,? she answered, dropping her hand. ?I?m ready.?

?Master Skywalker,? Elav?Distombe, her healer, shook her hand warmly. Mara inclined her head to the Twi?lek politely, but found that she was still uncomfortable in his presence.

Luke greeted him, as did Ben, who grinned as he was given a piece of candy by the healer. Without prompting, Ben uttered a beaming ?thanks?. He climbed into a chair over in the corner of the room, hurriedly unwrapping the confection.

?How are you feeling?? Healer Distombe asked, after chuckling over the child.

Mara?s eyes skittered towards Ben. ?I?d prefer??

The healer nodded. ?Shall we go into my office??

Luke looked at Mara for a silent moment before joining his son, while she and the Twi?lek entered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.